New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    It's been years since I saw an Indiana Jones film, and I kind of never noticed the prequel bit. It kind of doesn't matter for what I was referring to, Indy losing his gun is at least partially so that when the sword wielders a[[ear he can't just shoot them and has to engage in close combat (although the exact point in the film he loses it is not important to it playing out this way).

Yes it's a callback and an excuse to do a scene they wanted to do the first time, and yes in the in-film timeline this instance might come first, but it has nothing to do with what I was actually referring to.

Honestly, in terms of a pulp adventure I much prefer the way it plays out in ToD, it's more fun. But the RotLA version isn't a bad scene, I just like my pulp adventure to prioritise fun action scenes over pragmatism, it's personal preference.
    Sorry, just meant to toss out a bit of trivia.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

2. - Top - End - #782
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

LaZodiac and I just started Neon Genesis Evangelion.

She's watching through for the 5th or 6th time, it's my first. We're at episode 9.

Enjoying it so far. Waiting for the train to go off the rails.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I like the fight with the german mechanic personally. It shows that Indy, for all his skill, is a guile hero not an action hero. He has to cheat to win an otherwise fair fight most of the time.
    I'm not really convinced that his fight with that guy really counted as "otherwise fair", given just how big he was!

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post

She's watching through for the 5th or 6th time, it's my first. We're at episode 9.

Haven't seen that yet. It's on the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #785
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I'm not really convinced that his fight with that guy really counted as "otherwise fair", given just how big he was!
    Generally a fair fight means "given the same opportunity and resources" not "of equal skill levels." Generally.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #786

I have noticed that there is a correlation between days when I have a particularly strong desire to become a dragon, slither into a cave or abandoned mine, and sleep for a hundred years and days when I've been up since before sunrise and it's been 16+hours since I've slept.

Semi-related: I may have accidentally divorced my circadian rythym from the cycle of the sun and moon.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #787

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I have noticed that there is a correlation between days when I have a particularly strong desire to become a dragon
    For what it's worth, I think it's a fantastic idea. Can't go wrong, being a dragon.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    For what it's worth, I think it's a fantastic idea. Can't go wrong, being a dragon.
    Depends on the dragon. Certain dragons have an unhealthy proclivity towards being fought and killed in their lair and having all their stuff stolen.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #789

Depends on the dragon. Certain dragons have an unhealthy proclivity towards being fought and killed in their lair and having all their stuff stolen.
    Well that's just victim blaming.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well that's just victim blaming.
    Hey man im just saying. The lair-hanging-out dragons never have the problems that the people-eating dragons seem to.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

I saw the series some time ago. I felt then, and have continued to feel over the years, that the enduring popularity and cultural penetration of this film is very confusing. I've always felt it was quite middle of the road (until it went off the rails, which I didn't hate - at least it was compelling).

I haven't, however, seen any of the movies. They are on my list to go through.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

12. - Top - End - #792

Hey man im just saying. The lair-hanging-out dragons never have the problems that the people-eating dragons seem to.
    Territorial creatures, man. We ain't the world dragon police.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Bugbear in the Playground

I liked the weird Angels in particular. Some of them had a nature very befitting of an eldritch entity.

I still need to watch (one of?) Rebuild of Evangelion sometime.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Titan in the Playground

The first 23 episodes are great. Especially the ones produced just before the budget ran out. I can't make my way through the last couple, but that might have something to do with my eyesight.

I did find myself enjoying End of Evangelion though.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post

I saw the series some time ago. I felt then, and have continued to feel over the years, that the enduring popularity and cultural penetration of this film is very confusing. I've always felt it was quite middle of the road (until it went off the rails, which I didn't hate - at least it was compelling).
    Having a friend low-key obsessed with the series....
    Spoiler: Don't Want to Risk Spoiling Mystic Muse, Now
    Show
    EVA is largely a fictional parallel of Hideaki Anno's own experiences with suicidal depression. Shinji, Misato, Rei and Asuka have very different core personalities and goals; but are all stuck with foreign adversaries they can't understand; as well as local adversaries they only think they understand (and often don't recognize as adversaries). Conflicts that catch them when they run and overwhelm them when they fall. And force them to take actions they're unprepared to live with after the fact.

It's also rather...non-solid. Scenes frequently jump all over the place to imply connections, and character traits are often hinted at rather than being developed. This of course a prime way to get audience investment as they figure things out for themselves, but with characterization that tends to put a focus on the audience's own assumptions about people to fill in the blanks, rather than making pieces of action fit together. And that's without getting into how some scenes (and, well, the last two episodes) are deliberately symbolic presentations.

So you ultimately have a series about the feelings of dealing with situations you can barely fathom the depths of, much less be capable of truly dealing with, and with several characters just defined enough that you'll likely recognize something of yourself in at least one of them. I believe that constitutes a "target-rich environment" in any world where global news is a thing.

I prefer the earlier Gunbuster, myself; it handles a similar subject with much more coherence and brevity (and hopeful optimism).
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2021-08-23 at 03:10 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

16. - Top - End - #796

Every singe Reddit compilation video that mentions parents in the title ends up being at least 20% people who have abusive parents who don't realize they have/had abusive parents.

I'm half expecting that if I clicked on a video that said "Good Parents of Reddit" the first recorded response would be "My parents are great, they beat the stupid out of me when I was five."

...That's an exageration, but not as much of one as you'd think.

And obviously, not all of these stories are true but still.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well, New York City (My hometown) has a blackout just a few minutes ago. Why me?
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

18. - Top - End - #798
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Well, New York City (My hometown) has a blackout just a few minutes ago. Why me?
    Take a step back, the blackout affects more than just you. Even if it's still ongoing then judging by the time in NYC I'm guessing you still have natural light and you clearly have an internet connected device, so unless you have no way to light a room when it gets dark you're in a pretty decent position. If it's not still going then the power infrastructure clearly hasn't suffered major damage.

I only noticed earlier that I'm clearly not entirely sick of superheroes, despite saying I was when putting Kamen Rider on. Maybe it's something else about these endless films that I don
    't like.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

19. - Top - End - #799
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Take a step back, the blackout affects more than just you. Even if it's still ongoing then judging by the time in NYC I'm guessing you still have natural light and you clearly have an internet connected device, so unless you have no way to light a room when it gets dark you're in a pretty decent position. If it's not still going then the power infrastructure clearly hasn't suffered major damage.

I only noticed earlier that I'm clearly not entirely sick of superheroes, despite saying I was when putting Kamen Rider on. Maybe it's something else about these endless films that I don
    't like.
    Don't worry, the blackout lasted 5-10 after my previous post.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

Sometimes I find myself surprised that people aren't just *used* to blackouts; house I grew up in had them pretty frequently, probably from tree branches on the wires or something. Keep a few flashlights around just in case, don't open the fridge, read a book or draw something or just take an early night. If your stove is gas, keep a lighter. Keep a radio and some batteries in case of major long-term emergency, but unless you're in an earthquake-prone area you'll probably have a few days warning of the sort of weather that could require that. If you do get that warning, put a bugout bag together – meds and clothes for a few days, at least, enough to evac on.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #801

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Sometimes I find myself surprised that people aren't just *used* to blackouts; house I grew up in had them pretty frequently
    I was born in 1970 which means I got to be a child during the industrial disputes of the mid 70s in the UK. To me, it was all great fun--pre Internet (at least for 99% of people), of course, so having the house lit with candles and heated with paraffin heaters was an adventure, not something to complain about. I suspect the adult members of the household viewed things somewhat differently!

22. - Top - End - #802
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Sometimes I find myself surprised that people aren't just *used* to blackouts; house I grew up in had them pretty frequently, probably from tree branches on the wires or something. Keep a few flashlights around just in case, don't open the fridge, read a book or draw something or just take an early night. If your stove is gas, keep a lighter. Keep a radio and some batteries in case of major long-term emergency, but unless you're in an earthquake-prone area you'll probably have a few days warning of the sort of weather that could require that. If you do get that warning, put a bugout bag together – meds and clothes for a few days, at least, enough to evac on.
    I remember them happening maybe once a year as a kid, and never for more than a few hours. The main issue was that it's kind of hard to read by tealight.

Haven't had one since I've become an adult (I think) but I try to keep my laptop fully charged and have a power bank that'll charge my phone a couple of times, so they should be easily survivable. Plus London isn't really a disaster area, I'm not low enough to be caught in the flooding and the only earthquake of significant size I slept though.

Although if I do hear an exact warning I'll throw some clothes into my bag and make sure both my laptop and power bank are fully charged.,

Show

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ettin in the Playground

My brother has Covid.

I'm not particularly worried for him (it's a breakthrough case, and he's young) or for the other humans in my family, including myself (we're all fully-vaccinated and the ones who live with him aren't especially vulnerable even aside from that) or most of the pets (dogs don't generally get it nearly as bad as humans do, from what I've heard, and chickens aren't mammals and so are unlikely to catch it at all) but there is someone I am worried about.

My brother has a cat that's well over a decade old.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

24. - Top - End - #804

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I was born in 1970 which means I got to be a child during the industrial disputes of the mid 70s in the UK. To me, it was all great fun--pre Internet (at least for 99% of people), of course, so having the house lit with candles and heated with paraffin heaters was an adventure, not something to complain about. I suspect the adult members of the household viewed things somewhat differently!
    Sounds like a pretty big fire hazard, though. Or is it just me who strongly objects to an open flame of any kind indoors?

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    My brother has Covid.

I'm not particularly worried for him (it's a breakthrough case, and he's young) or for the other humans in my family, including myself (we're all fully-vaccinated and the ones who live with him aren't especially vulnerable even aside from that) or most of the pets (dogs don't generally get it nearly as bad as humans do, from what I've heard, and chickens aren't mammals and so are unlikely to catch it at all) but there is someone I am worried about.

I think they'll be alright. A little bit of googling tells me they're unlikely to suffer severe symptoms. Still, I understand the concern for our furry little family members, so here's to hoping they'll indeed be alright. And the humans too of course.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    I think they'll be alright. A little bit of googling tells me they're unlikely to suffer severe symptoms. Still, I understand the concern for our furry little family members, so here's to hoping they'll indeed be alright. And the humans too of course.
    Thanks.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

My brother has Covid.

Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear that.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

My brother has Covid.

You must get the kitty a mask. It is the only responsible thing to do.

Sounds like a pretty big fire hazard, though. Or is it just me who strongly objects to an open flame of any kind indoors?
    As somebody who has coordination difficulties I can say that candles are perfectly safe if treated correctly. Particularly the tealights most people would likely use here, but even with a standard candle holder the flame should be far above anything inflammable.

If course an electric lantern is safer if you have one, but those tend to be fairly rare in my experience. You can also get a decent light level with torches or phone lights, but generally people want to carry those with them.

I've seen somebody set their hair on fire once. But to be fair we should have snuffed the candles out before then (and there was no damage to any other part of them).

Show

28. - Top - End - #808

As somebody who has coordination difficulties I can say that candles are perfectly safe if treated correctly. Particularly the tealights most people would likely use here, but even with a standard candle holder the flame should be far above anything inflammable.

If course an electric lantern is safer if you have one, but those tend to be fairly rare in my experience. You can also get a decent light level with torches or phone lights, but generally people want to carry those with them.

I've seen somebody set their hair on fire once. But to be fair we should have snuffed the candles out before then (and there was no damage to any other part of them).
    Yeah, but what if someone knocks over a candle? The risk may be small, but the potential damage is big. Ok, presumably you have a fire extinguisher around for exactly that, but still.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yeah, but what if someone knocks over a candle? The risk may be small, but the potential damage is big. Ok, presumably you have a fire extinguisher around for exactly that, but still.
    A lot of candles are such that knocking them over will just put them out and maybe spill some wax. Its actually rather difficult to accidentally damage something with a candle in motion.

30. - Top - End - #810

A lot of candles are such that knocking them over will just put them out and maybe spill some wax. Its actually rather difficult to accidentally damage something with a candle in motion.
    Or a curtain gets blown into it or someone dangles their beard into it or a piece of their sweater etc.

I guess I'm the only one who fears the Open Flame.
    Last edited by Form; 2021-08-24 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Existential threats deserve capitalization