New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Wii was same generation as other consoles, though. At least, as far as rough release dates and lifespan. It was just significantly different. The Force Unleashed was also super stripped down, from what I hear, and had wonky controls.

Its more that that's the problem with developing for wildly different company goals for they consoles, and still wanting/contracted to release on them for the same product.
    The Wii was roughly as powerful as previous generation consoles and it's pets would generally be close to the PS2 but with added waggle.

Therefore it was developing for multiple generations in practice. Plus PS2 games were still being released at that point.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    The Wii was roughly as powerful as previous generation consoles and it's pets would generally be close to the PS2 but with added waggle.

Therefore it was developing for multiple generations in practice. Plus PS2 games were still being released at that point.
    Comparable power to its competitors has not factored into Nintendo console making in some time. They are still putting out machines in the same generation by console timeframe/lifespan, and simply have oriented themselves towards different goals.

Of course, if you want to count actual machine generations, Nintendo outpaces Sony and Microsoft by a good margin.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #903
    Colossus in the Playground

Look, I was just sharing my mixed frustration/and relief that my inability to figure out how I was supposed to get the bottle cap that was behind the glass pane in the museum was because the people who stripped the game down for the Wii did a half-assed job than any fault on my part.

Wasn't trying to start a debate on how console generations work.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-08-27 at 08:51 AM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Look, I was just sharing my mixed frustration/and relief that my inability to figure out how I was supposed to get the bottle cap that was behind the glass pane in the museum was because the people who stripped the game down for the Wii did a half-assed job than any fault on my part.

Ah, but now here we are~
    A few odds and ends.

5. - Top - End - #905

I didn't mean to kick the tire down the hill, but that don't stop it from rolling.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I didn't mean to kick the tire down the hill, but that don't stop it from rolling.
    Is that one of them Austrian sayins?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #907

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Is that one of them Austrian sayins?
    Everything I say is an Austrian saying by definition.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Titan in the Playground

Everything I say is an Austrian saying by definition.
    An ancient* Austrian proverb.

"Wookiee. Two Es."

*for a certain definitiom of ancient.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    An ancient* Austrian proverb.

"Wookiee. Two Es."

*for a certain definitiom of ancient.
    I'm disappointed.

That should have been 'from a certain point of view'.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

10. - Top - End - #910
    Titan in the Playground

I'm disappointed.

That should have been 'from a certain point of view'.
    You are correct.

Excuse me while I go shred my geek card, I don't deserve it any more.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Titan in the Playground

You are correct.

Excuse me while I go shred my geek card, I don't deserve it any more.
    No no no no no.

Yu're supposed to reveal that this is actually a reference to an obscure part of the franchise and therefore out-nerd me.

I've been getting into The Sims 4 recently, finally picked up the last of the major feature adding expansions (although I'm sure I'll now start hungering after Game Packs now), and discover that the new expansion is actually one I really want. Because hey, faux-England is cool, and I can use it to create Archers fanfiction.

Show

12. - Top - End - #912

Soliciting suggestions: What to do with a bag of stale but not expired corn chips(given by grandma, who opened them, didn't like them, and left them open.)

They're still safe to eat and it's a decent-sized bag so we feel bad about throwing them out.

They're not super stale so I figured we might be able to salvage them by putting them in a casserole dish with some cheese, some browned meat, and some taco seasoning and baking them for a bit, but I'm open to suggestions...

for context: these are the generic off-brand version of Fritos, not like, not like tortilla chips.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #913

Soliciting suggestions: What to do with a bag of stale but not expired corn chips(given by grandma, who opened them, didn't like them, and left them open.)

They're still safe to eat and it's a decent-sized bag so we feel bad about throwing them out.

They're not super stale so I figured we might be able to salvage them by putting them in a casserole dish with some cheese, some browned meat, and some taco seasoning and baking them for a bit, but I'm open to suggestions...

for context: these are the generic off-brand version of Fritos, not like, not like tortilla chips.
    Well, that's a good suggestion in and off itself.

Mine; crush them up and use them to make breading for chicken tenders. Then make chicken tenders and give me some.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

If you replace "browned meat" with "chili", you've described Frito Pie.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

15. - Top - End - #915

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    If you replace "browned meat" with "chili", you've described Frito Pie.
    Chilli is a contentious subject in this house.

My family has drunk the Bean Lobby's Kool-Aid, while I can not stand most forms of bean*. Soybean is fine if it has been processed into oil or fermented into sauce or miso paste, bother otherwise...

But considering that my mom's taco seasoning is mostly chili powder with cumin, paprika, and sometimes garlic added to it... I imagine that cooking some browned meat into a dish made with the same would more or less be similar.

*garbanzo beans are the worst. One time in my culinary chemistry class one group experimented with alternate thickening agents. You ever had vanilla pudding thickened with garbanzo bean starch instead of corn starch? That is proof of the existence of EVIL I tell ya what.

Changing subjects: School memory, but more bemusing than traumatic.

Once in like the first or second grade, one kid just got really pissed that I chose to try the skim milk at Lunchtime instead of my sual chocolate. "No, you're gonna get skinny" he kept insisting.

It got to the point where it ended up in a loop.

"You're gonna get skinny."
    "...So?"
    "You're gonna get skinny!"
    "And?"

Honestly, in hindsight, I probably should have stuck with skim milk. Was a few years later when I started to put on the weight... If that was the second grade that would have been around when my father died and what started me on the weight gain I think was trying to eat my feelings.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Titan in the Playground

Chilli is a contentious subject in this house.

My family has drunk the Bean Lobby's Kool-Aid, while I can not stand most forms of bean*. Soybean is fine if it has been processed into oil or fermented into sauce or miso paste, bother otherwise...

But considering that my mom's taco seasoning is mostly chili powder with cumin, paprika, and sometimes garlic added to it... I imagine that cooking some browned meat into a dish made with the same would more or less be similar.
    I prefer chili without beans myself; but that's largely because of the beans->carbohydrates->takeMoreInsulin thing. One of my coworkers, many years ago, told me that in the region of Texas he was from; chili without beans was the norm and "chili beans" were the variant, the opposite of how it is around here.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

17. - Top - End - #917

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I prefer chili without beans myself; but that's largely because of the beans->carbohydrates->takeMoreInsulin thing. One of my coworkers, many years ago, told me that in the region of Texas he was from; chili without beans was the norm and "chili beans" were the variant, the opposite of how it is around here.
    That's consistant.

The earliest records indicate that there were no beans in chili, which was invented in Texas. Earliest records was that chili would be meat, fat, and chilies cooked and rendered into blocks which would then be reconstituted into a pot of boiling water. And originally it was made of deer or horse.

Later chilies would be made on demand, but could be made from things like cow eyes, pig hearts, sheep testicles.. If you were lucky you could get a piece of chuck that was still barely edible. Cooking it into chili was mostly to cover up how bad it tasted.

Chili that you'd eat by choice in your own home or a restaurant is comparatively much more recent.

As far as I can tell, adding beans to chili was pioneered by cowboys who were out on the trail, putting scavenged wild beans or whatever other carbs they could get their hands on into the chili to make it more filling or stretch it out for a bit.

The starch in the beans thickens the chili up a bit, but otherwise their filler. Crushed-up corn chips will do the same job without tasting like garbage and provide a more consistent texture—and I don't know about anyone else, but texture is a very important thing for me when it comes to eating.

If the mouthfeel is off...

I might have shared this anecdote before: I tried sushi at a buffet once... A Chinese buffet... Yeah. A bit like finding haggis on the menu at a French restaurant, but I digress.

I don't quite know the name of it, but it was a small fillet of the fish's muscular tissue on a bed of sticky rice... Can't remember if it was salmon or tuna... Anyway, it was deliscious.

Physically could not make myself swallow it. It felt wrong in my mouth and my attempts to make it go down... Like, I would reflexively stop swallowing.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #918

I might have shared this anecdote before: I tried sushi at a buffet once... A Chinese buffet... Yeah. A bit like finding haggis on the menu at a French restaurant, but I digress.

I don't quite know the name of it, but it was a small fillet of the fish's muscular tissue on a bed of sticky rice... Can't remember if it was salmon or tuna... Anyway, it was deliscious.
    Sashimi.

Also, there's some overlap in Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, et al cuisine, due to the rather invasive and colonial tendencies of most of them over several millennia. Finding sushi/sashimi in a Chinese restaurant, or a whole Chinese menu in a Thai restaurant, or galbi/Korean bbq in a Japanese restaurant, etc etc is fairly normal.

19. - Top - End - #919

Sashimi.

Also, there's some overlap in Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, et al cuisine, due to the rather invasive and colonial tendencies of most of them over several millennia. Finding sushi/sashimi in a Chinese restaurant, or a whole Chinese menu in a Thai restaurant, or galbi/Korean bbq in a Japanese restaurant, etc etc is fairly normal.
    Yeah, I know... And obviously "Chinese Food" in America is very dfifferant from what you'd find cooked in a traditional Chinese home... And that Ramen, while associated with Japan, was invented in China...

That doesn't mean it's not a little weird, ya know.

In the restaurant business, you serve what the people in the area like and what there's room for. Lot of Greek restaurants in the region I live in...Except almost all of them have dishes that are basic diner fare. or pub fare. Cheeseburgers, grilled cheese, 'fish and chips*' If it wasn't for the gyros and the lemon rice soup you'd just think they were generic restaurants.

There's one lace we go-to for carrying out that is specifically a gyro place... But also has hamburgers, hotdogs, polish sausage, Italian beef sandwiches, and Italian sausage sandwiches... Which, as far as I know, is normal for Gyro places.

Now that I think about it... I don't think specialized restaurants that only, or even mostly, serve only the food they allegedly specialize in are a thing.

*I know I've mentioned it before, how people, where I live, don't know the difference between "fish and chips" and "fish sticks and french fries."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

Sashimi is, IIRC, spices of raw fish, success of raw fish on blocks of rice is nigiri.

Yeah, lot of mixing between cuisines in that area. Also, if I'm not mistaken, a lot of cuisine mixing in Europe. Although in my experience it's not overly common for restaurants here to include cuisines from neighbouring regions, especially better regarded places (which will tend to have shorter menus).

As a side note, every five I've had more authentic Chinese, Japanese, That, or Indian* cuisine I've liked it more than the anglicised versions. Curry being an exception, but this forum has helped me to think of British curry as a legitimate thing in its own right instead of anglicised Indian food.

I really hope my Chinese friend can visit England soon. She's a great cook.

* Indian generally still alerted to my palate.

Show

21. - Top - End - #921

Yeah, lot of mixing between cuisines in that area. Also, if I'm not mistaken, a lot of cuisine mixing in Europe.
    For reals. One of my friends went to Germany for a year back in college. Every time she eats spaetzle (which she mispronounces) she eats it with gravy instead of cheese like a normal person. She also says the opposite of me when I eat it. It's all cool though. She knows that when I eat it I am celebrating the culture of my people and that when she eats it it's cultural appropriation.

22. - Top - End - #922

Re: Corn chips.

Mom ended up rebaking them in the oven. Freshened them right up. Taste better than chips normally taste fresh.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Titan in the Playground

Finally got to the Month Anniversary Special for Doctor Who, so I guess it's the start of a slow goodbye to UNIT. It's a bit of a shame, we've spent three whole seasons watching these characters grow.

I do notice just how rarely the Doctor is using the Sonic Screwdriver, it's mostly just appearing as a tool while he's doing stuff. It has come a long way from it's humble beginnings as a way to drive screws, but it's still a device that only does a couple of things. Although I suppose I still have eight or so seasons to go until the Doctor starts using it so much that it gets destroyed. Still, I remember it being used almost every other episode in the revival, it's good to see the Doctor messing about with machinery without it.

Of course the current series would only ever destroy it so they could sell a new one. Which is a shame, the moments where the doctor is messing with circuitry or the like really do help with the entire 'really understands technology' thing.

Show

24. - Top - End - #924

Finally got to the Month Anniversary Special for Doctor Who, so I guess it's the start of a slow goodbye to UNIT. It's a bit of a shame, we've spent three whole seasons watching these characters grow.

I do notice just how rarely the Doctor is using the Sonic Screwdriver, it's mostly just appearing as a tool while he's doing stuff. It has come a long way from it's humble beginnings as a way to drive screws, but it's still a device that only does a couple of things. Although I suppose I still have eight or so seasons to go until the Doctor starts using it so much that it gets destroyed. Still, I remember it being used almost every other episode in the revival, it's good to see the Doctor messing about with machinery without it.

Of course the current series would only ever destroy it so they could sell a new one. Which is a shame, the moments where the doctor is messing with circuitry or the like really do help with the entire 'really understands technology' thing.
    Ya know, back when I was still watching it I did notice how I had never actually seen him use his plot solving device sonic screwdriver to actually drive any screws...

25. - Top - End - #925
    Titan in the Playground

Ya know, back when I was still watching it I did notice how I had never actually seen him use his plot solving device sonic screwdriver to actually drive any screws...
    Behold! He also uses it to burn through a wall in an earlier serial, but he's noticeably seen fiddling with it beforehand so it's clearly not a standard function.

Show

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not that fond of Dr. Who, I prefer Inspector Spacetime. This is a 'Community' reference and I hope the movie eventually happens.

27. - Top - End - #927

I'm not that fond of Dr. Who, I prefer Inspector Spacetime.
    Six seasons and a movie!

28. - Top - End - #928

I mean, the obvious interpretation is that the Doctor is rebuilding and upgrading the sonic screwdriver offscreen to give it more functions as he is able to do so.

When first introduced, it's just a fancy screwdriver. But by the UNIT days, he's upgraded it to a multi-tool, mayhaps the science fiction tinkerer' equivalent of a swiss army knife. By the new series, the doctor is centuries older than he was in the classic series, and IIRC the promo-short that establishes how Eight became The War Doctor implies that he's been without a companion for a while and I doubt that the War Doctor ever had a companion so, having to do everything by himself and probably having a good deal of time he ould need to occupy, it only makes sense that he'd upgrade his trusty tool further.

Yeah, you can manually do the thing... But sometimes taking the time to automate it is better.

In other news, the other day I was thinking over recent events in comics and realized that the entire population of Krakoa is infected with Symbiote matter. And they're probably gonna spread the infection to the rest of the planet within a generation or two.

Roughly equal chances of this coming up in the next five years or never being mentioned again.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, the obvious interpretation is that the Doctor is rebuilding and upgrading the sonic screwdriver offscreen to give it more functions as he is able to do so.

When first introduced, it's just a fancy screwdriver. But by the UNIT days, he's upgraded it to a multi-tool, mayhaps the science fiction tinkerer' equivalent of a swiss army knife. By the new series, the doctor is centuries older than he was in the classic series, and IIRC the promo-short that establishes how Eight became The War Doctor implies that he's been without a companion for a while and I doubt that the War Doctor ever had a companion so, having to do everything by himself and probably having a good deal of time he ould need to occupy, it only makes sense that he'd upgrade his trusty tool further.

Yeah, you can manually do the thing... But sometimes taking the time to automate it is better.
    Fifty years younger at the start of the new series actually. Still trying to puzzle that one out (seven is 950, and noticeably ages before regenerating, which also happens to Eight and War, and thanked to move we know that the first hundred years don't cause significant aging, so Nine should be at least 1250 at the start of his life*).

Yes, I know the answer is 'the Doctor lies, why would you expect his age to be accurate'. Especially as he already had trouble keeping track in his fourth incarnation. It still doesn't excuse the Doctor managing to lose over a hundred and fifty years of age while clearly spending a longer time than that fighting the Daleks. Four was only a couple of decades out.

Honestly, the issue to me is that every time the Sonic screwdriver is the answer to a problem it makes it feel like the Doctor is less good at improvising. I also remember the times when it was entirely feasible that they might not have it because they left it in the TARDIS or on a device they'd been working on.

* Going by the classic series only and ignoring the Way Doctor under 1000 is still unlikely.

Show

30. - Top - End - #930

Fifty years younger at the start of the new series actually. Still trying to puzzle that one out (seven is 950, and noticeably ages before regenerating, which also happens to Eight and War, and thanked to move we know that the first hundred years don't cause significant aging, so Nine should be at least 1250 at the start of his life*).

Yes, I know the answer is 'the Doctor lies, why would you expect his age to be accurate'. Especially as he already had trouble keeping track in his fourth incarnation. It still doesn't excuse the Doctor managing to lose over a hundred and fifty years of age while clearly spending a longer time than that fighting the Daleks. Four was only a couple of decades out.

Honestly, the issue to me is that every time the Sonic screwdriver is the answer to a problem it makes it feel like the Doctor is less good at improvising. I also remember the times when it was entirely feasible that they might not have it because they left it in the TARDIS or on a device they'd been working on.

* Going by the classic series only and ignoring the Way Doctor under 1000 is still unlikely.
    I believe that an episode of New Who has a one-off line that says that the Doctor doesn't care about his actual age: Whenever he forgets how old he is he just starts counting from whatever random number he decides he likes at the time.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks