New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I believe that an episode of New Who has a one-off line that says that the Doctor doesn't care about his actual age: Whenever he forgets how old he is he just starts counting from whatever random number he decides he likes at the time.
    Day off the Doctor suggests that isn't exactly true with the Doctors using their ages as if they're meaningful. The best expansion I've seen is that somewhere the Doctor switched how he's tracking his age to a longer year, which makes sense.

Assuming that One had an average lifespan for a Time Lord body then a regeneration diez to old age happens around the 500 year mark (assuming that Two didn't lie about his age). That would make Seven and Right least less time than that whole War gets in a good couple of centuries, leading to him being somewhere around 1600 in the old system. War is the most likely to switch away from counting in Galifreyan years, and it's likely that he moved to a system where years are twice as long. This would make Nine and Ten regenerate at around the 1700 mark, while Eleven does so at roughly 2200(roughly the age Twelve says he is, maybe he switched back). This does assume that Trenzalore has shorter years to make it work.

But yes, the Doctor almost certainly doesn't know exactly how old they are. They can probably make a good stab at it though, and the TARDIS probably has an exact time since they stole her. Although, admittedly, nothing says that the ages he brings up are ever his actual age (except for that one time Romana called him out on getting it wrong*).

* Which could also be explained by Season 6B.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Day off the Doctor suggests that isn't exactly true with the Doctors using their ages as if they're meaningful. The best expansion I've seen is that somewhere the Doctor switched how he's tracking his age to a longer year, which makes sense.
    I think the movie had Eight decide to start counting from zero again?

Assuming that One had an average lifespan for a Time Lord body then a regeneration diez to old age happens around the 500 year mark (assuming that Two didn't lie about his age).
    Don't forget that One was stuck inside a life-stealing machine (one that explicitly ages up its victim) towards the end of his run.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

If the Doctor doesn't care about his age, why should any of the viewers?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Because its in the contract that viewers need to base their enjoyment on petty and irrelevant details that the writers explicitly dont want them to care about. This is true of any media.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2021-08-31 at 07:58 AM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #935
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, he does care. He just sucks at keeping track of it.
    Forum Wisdom

6. - Top - End - #936
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Oh, he does care. He just sucks at keeping track of it.
    I'm not sure you could get the Doctor's actual age with a mind probe.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-08-31 at 10:07 AM.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

7. - Top - End - #937
    Ettin in the Playground

What does "fwet" mean and why did your phone autocorrect to it?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure you could get the Doctor's actual age with a mind probe.
    *Sigh*

No. Not the mind probe.
    Forum Wisdom

9. - Top - End - #939
    Bugbear in the Playground

What Peelee says. Admittedly, I haven't seen much of Doctor Who, but my impression is that the Doctor's age is irrelevant to the nature of the show, his adventures and the overall lore.

*Sigh*

No. Not the mind probe.
    Well... we could use that other probe I guess, but I honestly don't see how that's going to get us the man's age.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Well... we could use that other probe I guess, but I honestly don't see how that's going to get us the man's age.
    Sadly evidence suggests that she'd break it first.

... Which is what I was actually referencing, not the infamous line from the Five Doctors.

Show

11. - Top - End - #941
    Titan in the Playground

... Which is what I was actually referencing, not the infamous line from the Five Doctors.
    Don't dare blaspheme the Nimon!
    Forum Wisdom

12. - Top - End - #942
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I can't believe that summer is almost over. This year is going by very quickly.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

13. - Top - End - #943

Bluey is very rapidly changing from my favorite kids show to one of my favorite shows period. Well played, Australia.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Bluey is very rapidly changing from my favorite kids show to one of my favorite shows period. Well played, Australia.
    Wow. That's great. They should make a movie out of Bluey. I might be open and give Bluey a try.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Wow. That's great. They should make a movie out of Bluey. I might be open and give Bluey a try.
    Why should they make a movie out of Bluey? It works as a TV series (according to Peelee at already, over never seen it*), but that doesn't mean it works as a film. There's different requirements for narrative structure and pacing.

Not that I'm saying it wouldn't work, I have no clue. But new aware that working on TV doesn't mean it'll work as a film. It can work (Doctor Who the Movie did well with the British TV audience, but even short serials tended to be over an hour and a half), but it can also be disastrous.

Now if somebody had an idea for a movie that works with the core concept and characters of Bluey they should totally makes it. But that's the only reason they should make a movie.

* Should probably check out out at some point.

Show

16. - Top - End - #946

Why should they make a movie out of Bluey? It works as a TV series (according to Peelee at already, over never seen it*), but that doesn't mean it works as a film. There's different requirements for narrative structure and pacing.

Not that I'm saying it wouldn't work, I have no clue. But new aware that working on TV doesn't mean it'll work as a film. It can work (Doctor Who the Movie did well with the British TV audience, but even short serials tended to be over an hour and a half), but it can also be disastrous.

Now if somebody had an idea for a movie that works with the core concept and characters of Bluey they should totally makes it. But that's the only reason they should make a movie.

* Should probably check out out at some point.
    The episodes are like 8 minutes long, too. And they not only tell perfectly formed stories, some of them are absolutely amazing. Haven't seen the whole series out yet, but special shoutouts to Takeaway, Camping, and Sleepytime. Holy hell are those good episodes.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Why should they make a movie out of Bluey? It works as a TV series (according to Peelee at already, over never seen it*), but that doesn't mean it works as a film. There arerererere different requirements for narrative structure and pacing.

Now if somebody had an idea for a movie that works with the core concept and characters of Bluey they should make it. But that's the only reason they should make a movie.

* Should probably check out at some point.
    All TV shows turn into a movie. They make a movie out of The Simpsons and they did it pretty well. They made a movie out of Rugrats, they did it pretty well. They made a movie out of South Park and they did pretty well even though South Park is an adult movie. So I'm pretty sure they'll make a movie out of Bluey and who knows maybe a Bluey movie will do pretty well.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Titan in the Playground

All TV shows turn into a movie.
    Citation needed.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Citation needed.
    I just did.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Titan in the Playground

Where's my Bagpuss or Dennis the Menace movie then?

Show

21. - Top - End - #951
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Where's my Bagpuss or Dennis the Menace movie then?
    Uh...a work in planning and process.

22. - Top - End - #952

Generic library sounds, shuffling of books and some rain makes excellent background noise for reading, courtesy of some youtube videos. I wish I could turn my whole place into an old library for a little while. Can't think of a better atmosphere for reading.

Gotta work on my reading posture, though. A part of my body always gets just a little tired or sore, no matter what I do.
    Last edited by Form; 2021-08-31 at 01:35 PM.

23. - Top - End - #953

MindFlayer

Since this is Random Banter, I will list a few TV shows of the past that might be unlikely for conversion to feature films.

* CBS Nightly News
    * Wall Street Week
    * Aviation Weather
    * Roger Ramjet
    * One Man and His Dog

24. - Top - End - #954

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Since this is Random Banter, I will list a few TV shows of the past that might be unlikely for conversion to feature films.

* CBS Nightly News
    * Wall Street Week
    * Aviation Weather
    * Roger Ramjet
    * One Man and His Dog
    Wings.
    Night Court.
    It's Alwyas Sunny in Philadelphia.
    The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret.

25. - Top - End - #955
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Generic library sounds, shuffling of books and some rain makes excellent background noise for reading, courtesy of some youtube videos. I wish I could turn my whole place into an old library for a little while. Can't think of a better atmosphere for reading.

Gotta work on my reading posture, though. A part of my body always gets just a little tired or sore, no matter what I do.
    Ooooh, completely get that. Unfortunately, our local library is terribly utilitarian, and I dislike the atmosphere there, so I need only to simulate the environment. The only time I got to actual historical library (and very carefully tried to read through Meyer's Gründtliche Beschreibung der Kunst des Fechtens...) I enjoyed it.

However, my best work/reading/study atmosphere is from the Long Dark (youtube link for the ambient)- inside a ranger's cabin, a blizzard raging outside, a stove cracking with fire nearby, wind howling...
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

26. - Top - End - #956

MindFlayer

Wings.
    That was a fun TV show, but there was already a 1927 feature film of the same name, with Clara Bow, Gary Cooper, and some excellent aerial photography.

True, there was no connection besides the name and the presence of aviation.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Titan in the Playground

Uh...a work in planning and process.
    I don't it highly unlikely that Bagpuss will have a movie. Yes it is a massive cultural touchstone for the UK, but as the 2010s reboot never got off the ground because it wouldn't have used puppets I don't think we'll be seeing anything anytime soon.

Although on the topic of great children's aid, it definitely use one to seek out

Show

28. - Top - End - #958
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I don't it highly unlikely that Bagpuss will have a movie. Yes it is a massive cultural touchstone for the UK, but as the 2010s reboot never got off the ground because it wouldn't have used puppets I don't think we'll be seeing anything anytime soon.

Although on the topic of great children's aid, it definitely use one to seek out
    Maybe your right. I don't live in the U.K. but I've heard of Bagpuss with a little info on the internet.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Since this is Random Banter, I will list a few TV shows of the past that might be unlikely for conversion to feature films....
    Night Court.
    I don't know....If you took an episode of Night Court, then added enough material with Bull and Roz to get it to feature-film-length, you've got a pretty good start.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I think the movie had Eight decide to start counting from zero again?
    Movie?

Rhubarb.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.