A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1505
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Where are you getting your model for a regeneration cycle, Doctor Who?
    Blake's 7. Obviously. Obvious joke is hopefully obvious.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  2. - Top - End - #1052
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lacco's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Slovakia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Hypothetical question: A procedure by which someone could gain eternal perfect health—that is to say, total imperviousness to disease and the ability to swiftly make a 100% recovery from anything that doesn't kill you outright, almost guaranteeing a death of incredibly advanced age with no problems until you just shut down one night—is discovered, but the process results in a metamorphosis that leaves you looking, externally, like a child for the rest of your life and there's always hassle involving cards and documents to prove that you're your real age.

    Do you seek out the procedure?
    Emphasis mine.

    Again, bear in mind that English is my second language (third, actually). So when you say "eternal" and "death of incredibly advanced age", instead of "human maximum of 125 years"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    No one would live that long.
    ...then excuse me for overestimating.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    We're not talking eternal youth, we're talking "you don't feel or show the effects of age at all up until you go to bed one night and don't get up in the morning."

    The theoretical maximum human life span is about 125 years, so nobody is living much longer than that.
    Still, don't like the idea.

    I'd take something that would make me impervious to flu, common cold and some other sicknesses - because they irritate me. But not at the cost of looking like a kid. It took me few decades to finally look as well as I look right now, and I'd not rewind

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Regardless, I can't help but think it's interesting that your instinct is to assume it's a trap to force people into a lifetime of indentured servitude.
    Yeah, no.

    My instinct is to make a joke about the crazy idea: the old guy who dies happily while world descends into madness consisting of kid-looking adults. I also can't help but think it's strange you would think a thing like this would be for free.

    Also: it reminded me of this crazy anime one of my friends told me about where a formula was found in future for every woman to look like a kid. While the anime was slapstick-style funny, the idea was creepy.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

    Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

  3. - Top - End - #1053
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    Emphasis mine.

    Again, bear in mind that English is my second language (third, actually). So when you say "eternal" and "death of incredibly advanced age", instead of "human maximum of 125 years"...
    Eternal is attached to perfect health: It's the fact that you never get sick that lasts forever.

    And considering that the average life expectancy is 72.6 years, 125 is incredibly advanced.

    Edit: Does this come across as condescending? Becuase it isn't meant to.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-09-05 at 05:29 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  4. - Top - End - #1054
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    enderlord99's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    I wouldn't do it, but only because I'd be suspicious they're not giving me the whole story.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

    I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

    I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

    Most pronouns are fine for me. Just don't try to mix them.

  5. - Top - End - #1055
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Eternal is attached to perfect health: It's the fact that you never get sick that lasts forever.

    And considering that the average life expectancy is 72.6 years, 125 is incredibly advanced.

    Edit: Does this come across as condescending? Becuase it isn't meant to.
    People generally don't actually die of "old age". They die of some condition that is related to their failing health in their age. "Eternal health" is very likely to make one not die of natural causes.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-09-05 at 09:02 PM.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

  6. - Top - End - #1056
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    People generally don't actually doe of "old age". They die of some condition that is related to their failing health in their age. "Eternal health" is very likely to make one not die of natural causes.
    Speaking as somebody who works near the elderly, this. Even those p people who do have 'aging related genetic damage' as a cause tend to die if something else. And it's not perfect health if it's not stopping genetic damage.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  7. - Top - End - #1057
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    People generally don't actually doe of "old age". They die of some condition that is related to their failing health in their age. "Eternal health" is very likely to make one not die of natural causes.
    My logic is that you're still accumulating were and tear, you're just not feeling the consequences.

    No matter how healthy you are, eventually, something you can't live without is gonna break.

    Trust me, I think we've had enough conversations in this thread regarding eternal youth and immortality to peg how people would answer that question.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  8. - Top - End - #1058
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    My logic is that you're still accumulating were and tear, you're just not feeling the consequences.

    No matter how healthy you are, eventually, something you can't live without is gonna break.

    Trust me, I think we've had enough conversations in this thread regarding eternal youth and immortality to peg how people would answer that question.
    You still kind of have some mutually contradictory premises here. If youre perfectly 100% recovery healthy, you dont accumulate wear and tear. Thats kind of definitionally what perfect health and recovery means.

    Sure, conceptually given enough time youll eventually fall off some stairs/tick off an evil overlord who decapitates you/experience the heat death of the universe, but none of those are death by wear and tear.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2021-09-05 at 08:45 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

  9. - Top - End - #1059
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    My logic is that you're still accumulating were and tear, you're just not feeling the consequences.

    No matter how healthy you are, eventually, something you can't live without is gonna break.

    Trust me, I think we've had enough conversations in this thread regarding eternal youth and immortality to peg how people would answer that question.
    You got a degree in biology, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I remember, cellular regeneration degrades over time, which is pretty much the root of "natural causes" deaths. Toss in perfect healing and that doesn't happen. Strokes are suddenly curable by simple bed rest. Aneurysms are a thing of the past. Heck, even cancer goes the way of the dodo. The "wear and tear" gets fixed by perfect healing. If it doesn't, then it's not perfect healing. You've set it up so that natural causes is no longer a thing. People now only die by being killed. Whether it's by a bullet or falling down the Grand Canyon, the only way to die is by external forces, and the average lifespan of a whole population gained this would skyrocket.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

  10. - Top - End - #1060
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You got a degree in biology, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I remember, cellular regeneration degrades over time, which is pretty much the root of "natural causes" deaths. Toss in perfect healing and that doesn't happen. Strokes are suddenly curable by simple bed rest. Aneurysms are a thing of the past. Heck, even cancer goes the way of the dodo. The "wear and tear" gets fixed by perfect healing. If it doesn't, then it's not perfect healing. You've set it up so that natural causes is no longer a thing. People now only die by being killed. Whether it's by a bullet or falling down the Grand Canyon, the only way to die is by external forces, and the average lifespan of a whole population gained this would skyrocket.
    Given a long enough time death is inevitable from natural disaster anyway, we just extended it into the thousands of years range. Volcano gone give it to you! Forget getting it on yo own, Volcano going to deliver it to ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

  11. - Top - End - #1061
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You got a degree in biology, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I remember, cellular regeneration degrades over time, which is pretty much the root of "natural causes" deaths. Toss in perfect healing and that doesn't happen. Strokes are suddenly curable by simple bed rest. Aneurysms are a thing of the past. Heck, even cancer goes the way of the dodo. The "wear and tear" gets fixed by perfect healing. If it doesn't, then it's not perfect healing. You've set it up so that natural causes is no longer a thing. People now only die by being killed. Whether it's by a bullet or falling down the Grand Canyon, the only way to die is by external forces, and the average lifespan of a whole population gained this would skyrocket.
    1: No, I was originally a bio major, but had to change it becuase I couldn't pass some of the incidental requirements that would not actually be necessary in my field of choice but for some reason they make you take.

    I believe I stated that I ended up doing more advanced math than I did biology and that my chemistry class had some weird obsession with making us memorize a bunch of complicated formulas that, in a real lab setting, I imagine people would be double-checking several times and doing the math three or four times to make sure they had everything right.

    I mean, that's common sense, right? If you're working with something potentially dangerous, you make absolutely certain that you know exactly how much you're working with and that you've done the math right? Thats the one scenario where doing it in your head is the wrong way to go. Shouldn't they have been teaching us that instead of encouraging us to do it from memory just the one time?

    2: Okay, when I said perfect health I meant by human standards, not objectively perfect. You don't get sick but you'll still eventually die. And when I said "recover from anything that doesn't kill you outright" I didn't mean you were wolverine. If you break your back and sever your spinal cord at 40, it might be fixed by 70 when for a normal person the healing would stop well short of a full recovery... If the back-breaking injury didn't kill you.

    If I meant for people to be immortal in this scenario i would have said so.

    You're still mortal. You're subject to entropy. It might be slower than average but eventually, things are gonna start wearing down faster than even a perfect human can fix. Eventually, your heart's gonna give out

    And it's not that cellular regeneration slows over time, it's that your cells make slight flaws when dividing, the copies are slightly imperfect, particularly when it comes o DNA: The rate of cellular division is faster than the rate at which our cells produce the enzymes needed to repair those flaws, so eventually you reach a point where the cell can no longer function properly and is destroyed.

    The exception are cancerous cells, which produce the necessary enzymes—particularly telomerase, which repairs the telomeres which are necessary for cellular division to function properly—in excess of what is needed, which is why they can divide continuously. Of course, they also lack the safety measures built into the cell that regulates cell division, meaning that they're eventually either such or stave whatever part of the body they're growing in.

    This, combined with stress, environmental factors, and just everyday wear and tear, is what causes aging. And eventually, some art of your body i s gonna be aged to the point to where something just breaks and can't be fixed.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  12. - Top - End - #1062
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Strokes are suddenly curable by simple bed rest. Aneurysms are a thing of the past.
    Would that be the case, though? Even with no degradation in your general state it's possible to have birth defects which cause issues--a friend I had at university had a birth defect which caused a brain aneurysm and went into a persistent vegetative state because of it. Now, even if your perfect healing factor can fix up the broken blood vessels, would they fix it up with the same birth defect that caused the problem in the first place? For that matter, once they've restored all those brain cells that got killed due to lack of sustenance, would you actually get the same person back or would they still have severe memory and/or personality damage?

  13. - Top - End - #1063
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    1: No, I was originally a bio major, but had to change it
    Whoops. Sorry!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    2: Okay, when I said perfect health I meant by human standards, not objectively perfect. You don't get sick but you'll still eventually die. And when I said "recover from anything that doesn't kill you outright" I didn't mean you were wolverine. If you break your back and sever your spinal cord at 40, it might be fixed by 70 when for a normal person the healing would stop well short of a full recovery... If the back-breaking injury didn't kill you.
    Ah, I gotcha! Sorry, it's just that every other time I've seen you talk about "perfect health", you used it to mean... well, perfect health.

    Also, by the terms you have now stated, that's a terrible deal and I sure as hell wouldn't take it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    And it's not that cellular regeneration slows over time, it's that your cells make slight flaws when dividing, the copies are slightly imperfect, particularly when it comes o DNA: The rate of cellular division is faster than the rate at which our cells produce the enzymes needed to repair those flaws, so eventually you reach a point where the cell can no longer function properly and is destroyed.
    Yes, I shortened that to "cellular regeneration degrades over time".
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Would that be the case, though?
    Yes, under my original understanding of it; the proposition was "gain eternal perfect health", which, as above, I assumed was meant as it sounded.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-09-06 at 12:32 AM.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

  14. - Top - End - #1064
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Whoops. Sorry!

    Ah, I gotcha! Sorry, it's just that every other time I've seen you talk about "perfect health", you used it to mean... well, perfect health.
    Every other time I've talked about perfect health, it was in the context of something like Marvel's Super Soldier Serum, which grants perfect health, perfect condition, and eternal youth. Or replicating a superhuman immune system or level of regeneration, rather than simply making it the best it can possibly be for a human.

    This is perfect health by itself. If that makes more sense. You will be as healthy as humanly possible in all circumstances but eventually, something is going to happen that not even perfect health can deal with.

    Okay, let's imagine it more like this: All the problems that come with aging are deferred. Held back.

    But they're still occurring, building up... So, eventually, if nothing else kills you, by the time you're approaching the theoretical maximum lfiespan of an unaltered human the man breaks, it alk hits you at once, and you die of multiple sudden severe internal complications before you even have time to realize that something's wrong.

    Which is less scientifically valid, but also more in the spirit of what I was trying to go for.

    But until that point, everything is just great.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-09-06 at 12:42 AM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  15. - Top - End - #1065
    Titan in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Happy Labor Day everyone. I'm still on my four-day weekend and I'll go back to work on Wednesday.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

  16. - Top - End - #1066
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Every other time I've talked about perfect health, it was in the context of something like Marvel's Super Soldier Serum, which grants perfect health, perfect condition, and eternal youth. Or replicating a superhuman immune system or level of regeneration, rather than simply making it the best it can possibly be for a human.
    These distinctions don't really help me as much as you might think. Especially since you have talked about how Captain America's super soldier serum only takes him to the best it can possibly be for a human, which is exactly what you are talking about here, but is somehow different from what you are talking about here. The waters are muddied, is the short version.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Okay, let's imagine it more like this: All the problems that come with aging are deferred. Held back.

    But they're still occurring, building up... So, eventually, if nothing else kills you, by the time you're approaching the theoretical maximum lfiespan of an unaltered human the man breaks, it alk hits you at once, and you die of multiple sudden severe internal complications before you even have time to realize that something's wrong.
    That's a much more interesting question. And it's damned tempting. But it carries a hundred percent certainty of sudden and unexpected death, so I'd take the gamble instead. But it's definitely a much harder decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Which is less scientifically valid
    Zero isn't really less than zero.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

    Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

  17. - Top - End - #1067
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    These distinctions don't really help me as much as you might think. Especially since you have talked about how Captain America's super soldier serum only takes him to the best it can possibly be for a human, which is exactly what you are talking about here, but is somehow different from what you are talking about here. The waters are muddied, is the short version
    It brings him to the absolute limits of human ability, which includes his capacity for healing, his resistance to damage on all scales, and his immune system.

    It's also propagating through his system(in essence, his cells are altered to produce more serum) and consciously reapplying itself, repairing all of his individual cells to the point that they're being repaired faster than they degrade.

    The serum also functions as a panacea: It destroys pretty much any naturally occurring virus, bacteria, fungus, protozoa, prion, or other pathogens that could possibly cause harm while leaving anything you need for your personal microbiome alone. This is in addition to your enhanced immune system being able to easily clean up anything that isn't killed by the serum.

    (This means that if a super-soldier gets sick, it means that either something has neutralize their serum, or someone is cooking up bioweapons that are heartier than anything that occurs in nature. During Spider-Island, the justification for turning Captain America into the Spider-King was that if they can infect him, they can infect anyone.)

    In short, it's a couple of steps beyond what I was suggesting.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  18. - Top - End - #1068
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DataNinja's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    In short, it's a couple of steps beyond what I was suggesting.
    I'm gonna be honest, Rater. While the difference between everything is probably quite clear to you, language is rarely quite so precise at transferring intentions in so few words. I don't think this is something you can really "in short", given that you have very particular parameters for your question. At least not until we have a way to psychically transmit intentions.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

    01001110011001010111001001100100

  19. - Top - End - #1069
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Yes, under my original understanding of it; the proposition was "gain eternal perfect health", which, as above, I assumed was meant as it sounded.
    There's always another factor to consider here: the blood-brain barrier. The brain doesn't really undergo healing in the way the rest of the body does, so even if you have perfect healing elsewhere, would that extend to the central nervous system? Especially given what Rater202 is now saying about this being "peak human health" rather than something beyond.

  20. - Top - End - #1070
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I'm gonna be honest, Rater. While the difference between everything is probably quite clear to you, language is rarely quite so precise at transferring intentions in so few words. I don't think this is something you can really "in short", given that you have very particular parameters for your question. At least not until we have a way to psychically transmit intentions.
    My understanding is that "in short" is a conclusion statement, something that comes at the end of a body of text that explains the thing that's being presented in short, or else an introductory statement that is followed by the same explanation.

    I did my best to explain the difference, then ended with an "in short."
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  21. - Top - End - #1071
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Amidus Drexel's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    The Algol System
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    If "incredibly advanced age" means ~120 and "perfect health" actually means "peak human health, but health problems still exist and can kill you", then no thanks. The upside is small, and the downsides of being (outwardly) a child in the modern world are large.

    Perhaps if I were approaching death's door, I might consider it as a short extension on life. Ask me again in 50 years, if I'm still around.
    Avatar by FinnLassie
    A few odds and ends.

  22. - Top - End - #1072
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    If "incredibly advanced age" means ~120 and "perfect health" actually means "peak human health, but health problems still exist and can kill you", then no thanks. The upside is small, and the downsides of being (outwardly) a child in the modern world are large.

    Perhaps if I were approaching death's door, I might consider it as a short extension on life. Ask me again in 50 years, if I'm still around.
    Okay, let's forget the specifics of it.

    It's a guarantee that you will live to the theoretical maximum human life span... And until you keel over dead at 125+, you'll never feel your age or experience sickness. Basically, you won't be anything but perfectly healthy until the last few moments of your life.

    Becuase describing it as eternal perfect health and describing it as peak human health apparently both give a misleading...

    I hate words.

    ...So, Immortal Hulk #47, in which the Avengers have yet again been sent to capture the Hulk on bad information, has a conversation between Jen Walters/She-Hulk and Betty Ross/Harpy.

    Jen tries to reason with Betty to try and deescalate the conflict, but she's been having a hell of a time lately—the thoughts in her head are as clear as ever, but when she tries to put them into words out loud, they come out as Hulk Speak.

    She says that words are hard right now, and Betty cuts her off.

    Betty says "No. Words aren't hard. They're small. Puny little boxes. They hide thoughts."

    There has never ben a single more relatable moment in comics for me.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  23. - Top - End - #1073
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Apart from the upper limit it's sounding very similar to the setup in "Brave New World", where people stay youthful and hearty until they hit their 60s, at which point they deteriorate and die within months or a couple of years at most.

  24. - Top - End - #1074
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Where I am

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Apart from the upper limit it's sounding very similar to the setup in "Brave New World", where people stay youthful and hearty until they hit their 60s, at which point they deteriorate and die within months or a couple of years at most.
    See, that's a terrible deal.

    Average human life expectancy is already 72.6. The whole point of something like this would be to extend your life, not shorten it.

    Life's already too short.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  25. - Top - End - #1075
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    See, that's a terrible deal.
    Well, yeah, It's Brave New World. Anything good about its world is only skin-deep, that's the point.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-09-06 at 10:05 AM.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  26. - Top - End - #1076
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Apart from the upper limit it's sounding very similar to the setup in "Brave New World", where people stay youthful and hearty until they hit their 60s, at which point they deteriorate and die within months or a couple of years at most.
    Unless you're in a savage reservation, then you age normally but have a chance of living much longer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    See, that's a terrible deal.

    Average human life expectancy is already 72.6. The whole point of something like this would be to extend your life, not shorten it.

    Life's already too short.
    Brave New World is from 1932, when American Life expectancy was about 60. Back then an increased healthspan but certain death within a couple of years might have been a viable trade.

    Now, you can be in your 50s and have very good health today so it isn't a massive benefit, but there's certainly an appeal to bring 59 and still having the health you had in your twenties.

    So imagine that your choice was: you can agree normally and possibly get to your eighties, nineties, it even your hundreds, or you don't have your health deteriorate but on your seventy second birthday you will start to feel ill and will die at some point in the next eight months.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  27. - Top - End - #1077
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bristol, UK

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Unless you're in a savage reservation, then you age normally but have a chance of living much longer.



    Brave New World is from 1932, when American Life expectancy was about 60. Back then an increased healthspan but certain death within a couple of years might have been a viable trade.

    Now, you can be in your 50s and have very good health today so it isn't a massive benefit, but there's certainly an appeal to bring 59 and still having the health you had in your twenties.

    So imagine that your choice was: you can agree normally and possibly get to your eighties, nineties, it even your hundreds, or you don't have your health deteriorate but on your seventy second birthday you will start to feel ill and will die at some point in the next eight months.
    Then again, there's Logan's Run. Everybody dies at 22.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

  28. - Top - End - #1078
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Then again, there's Logan's Run. Everybody dies at 22.
    Until we need to cast actors.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  29. - Top - End - #1079
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    TaiLiu's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Intersex

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Bookmark, what's your response to your own hypothetical question?

    As an aside: I'm really surprised that practically everybody is saying that they wouldn't take Bookmark's deal. Different priorities, I guess—I think being guaranteed an absurdly long and healthy life is a fantastic deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    It's not all sex! I mean a lot of it is sex, at least in my case, but there are some considerations (including a lack of height and muscle mass potentially forcing people out of their jobs).
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Sex is a big one, for sure.

    Tiny hands (and to a certain extent, the height and muscle mass) would make most of what I do professionally (and for hobbies) more difficult. I've got a decade or so of muscle memory in typing and playing string instruments, and reverting that would require a lot of effort on my part to restore it.
    That makes sense. I guess my own hobbies and work are a little less reliant on the specific details of my body, so that biases me. Maybe I wouldn't go for it if I were really into hiking.

    I do think we'd have, like, fifty extra years to process and get used to the change (compared to average life expectancies). So I'm sure adjustment won't be a huge deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Yuck. Why would you want to do that?
    Many organisms like to stay alive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    You'd think, feel, process thoughts and feeling as a person of your actual age, and drug tolerance is whatever someone of your age and weight would have.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    There's always another factor to consider here: the blood-brain barrier. The brain doesn't really undergo healing in the way the rest of the body does, so even if you have perfect healing elsewhere, would that extend to the central nervous system? Especially given what Rater202 is now saying about this being "peak human health" rather than something beyond.
    Bookmark is making a lot of ontological assumptions that I guess I wouldn't find plausible (i.e. drug tolerance not corresponding to your actual physical body and weight). If we're playing this game straight, I think we have to assume that biology as we know it is wrong.
    "I kinda think I'm not supposed to go along with something that's wrong just to get food."

    Spoiler: Play by Post Games
    Show
    x Through the Faerie Ring // PL + Progressing // 05/17 - Present
    x Chrono Isekai // PL + Dead // 03/20 - 05/20
    x Lightning Rails and Whispers of the Vampire's Blade // DM + Completed // 05/17 - 08/18

  30. - Top - End - #1080
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Mystic Muse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

    Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    As an aside: I'm really surprised that practically everybody is saying that they wouldn't take Bookmark's deal. Different priorities, I guess—I think being guaranteed an absurdly long and healthy life is a fantastic deal.
    The issue is, I'm at a point in my life where I'm in IT, but I'm still very much client-facing. If I were at a point in my career where that's not the case, or I could find a job I'd like where that's not the case, that would change.

    If I had an arbitrary amount of money and didn't have to work to live? Sure, I'd take the deal. Especially if I was set to be like a 16 or 17 instead of 12 or younger.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2021-09-06 at 10:54 PM.
    Avatar by Moss. Myself as a unicorn in a Megaman-esque setting.

    My Twitter account, where I will mainly post images of minis I've painted.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •