New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1495
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    My general rule of thumb is that if something seems outrageous on the surface, i'll assume the other person is at least as smart as i am, and that theyre doing it on purpose for the sake of making a point or being humorous. It doesnt work all the time, but its been surprisingly successful.
    Sorry, I've been reading The SUE Comes recently. Makes me assume the worst when it comes to weapons.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-09-07 at 12:12 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

When it comes to weapons my stance i either "small and precise" or "big and excessively destructive."

I will take a court sword or I will take one of those big anime swords that you swing like a club and just sort of crushes through the target instead of cleanly slicing or piercing.

I will take a derringer or I will take a Davey Crockett.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Speaking of weapons, what is everybody's weapon of choice for the Zombie Apocalypse? It can be any real or fictional weapon, and if it requires ammo, assume that replenishment ammo or power for it becomes magically available periodically, video game style. The only restriction is that the weapon needs to be portable under your own power (ie you can carry it).

My choice would be a Lightsaber. Besides being an elegant weapon from a more civilized age, its also incredibly power-efficient, cauterizes wounds so i wouldnt be at risk of infection from splatter, and cuts easily enough that i can handle decent sized crowds. Also it would protect me from a sudden and inexplicable invasion of Imperial Stormtroopers, in case its that kind of zombie apocalypse.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Speaking of weapons, what is everybody's weapon of choice for the Zombie Apocalypse? It can be any real or fictional weapon, and if it requires ammo, assume that replenishment ammo or power for it becomes magically available periodically, video game style. The only restriction is that the weapon needs to be portable under your own power (ie you can carry it).

My choice would be a Lightsaber. Besides being an elegant weapon from a more civilized age, its also incredibly power-efficient, cauterizes wounds so i wouldnt be at risk of infection from splatter, and cuts easily enough that i can handle decent sized crowds. Also it would protect me from a sudden and inexplicable invasion of Imperial Stormtroopers, in case its that kind of zombie apocalypse.
    Lightsaber. Defo lightsaber. Doubles as a door unlocker.

ETA: Also, technically, spatter. No L. Not a huge thing, though. Splatter still kind of works but blood typically defaults to spatter.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-09-07 at 12:30 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Titan in the Playground

A good pair of trainers.

I have no combat skills (except for using done a combat sport when younger, but still without weapons). Having a weapon would make me more confident despite being unlikely to actually hit a zombie before I get eaten. Much better odds for me to hope that the zombies can be outrun with s walking frame.

If I have to choose a weapon, either an air rifle or subsonic railgun. There's a lot of advantages to being at range and relatively quiet.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #1116

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    If I have to choose a weapon, either an air rifle or subsonic railgun. There's a lot of advantages to being at range and relatively quiet.
    Take the railgun over air rifle. Stopping power is a big thing, and while I have no idea how much a hypothetical railgun has, it's got to be more than an air rifle.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-09-07 at 12:32 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Take the railgun over air rifle. Stopping power is a big thing, and while I have no idea how much a hypothetical railgun has, it's got to be more than an air rifle.
    I mean, the ideal would be a military grades MP laser pulser. But reigrning myself in, railgun was my first choice because I like them and, if stopping power is a necessity, I can theoretically launch more massive rounds while remaining subsonic.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Against a zombie, probably actually very little. A railgun shot is going to make a bullet-shaped hole in a zombie and keep going through the next five without disrupting it. Like using an AP round on an unarmored target.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #1119

Against a zombie, probably actually very little. A railgun shot is going to make a bullet-shaped hole in a zombie and keep going through the next five without disrupting it. Like using an AP round on an unarmored target.
    That hole still has a chance of going through the leg or head, both of which will stop it. As opposed it an airgun, which doesn't even make the hole.

That being said, legs are easier to remove with a lightsaber. Same with arms. Or heads. Or torsos.

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Bugbear in the Playground

Egads, lightsabers! I'd be terrified of lopping off my own arm with that thing.

11. - Top - End - #1121

If I said Ryūjin Jakka/Zanka no Tachi, would that be a fair answer or no becuase it's technically a channel for the power of Genryusai Yammamoto's soul?

I don't know, something about being able to instantly reduce everything to ashes with my choice of either fire or solar plasma, aust myself in an impenetrable aura of energy that is normally too hot to take the form of fire or even be visible to the naked eye unless I go out of my way to make it visible, concentrate the pure destructive power of a WMD along the edge of a blade for instant death cuts, and summon an army of everyone I've ever killed to do my bidding sounds like it'd be really fricking useful in a full-scale zombie apocalypse.

Fire is the cleanser, my bros and bro-ettes.

If that isn't an option... A Red Lantern Ring. Enhanced mobility via flight, and while you need training and rituals to make constructs, projectile vomiting large quantities of what amounts to flaming acid for acouple dozen feet should take care of any zeds I can't just fly away from.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of weapons, what is everybody's weapon of choice for the Zombie Apocalypse?
    A nuke. Solve that problem right up.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    A nuke. Solve that problem right up.
    Congratulations, the zombie apocalypse is over.

You are now defenceless against the mutant apocalypse.

Show

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Wait is Apocalypse a mutant or a celestial? Maybe an Immortal?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    That's really a question for Rater.

Show

16. - Top - End - #1126

Well that's hardly a problem, just get the hurricane machine out.

17. - Top - End - #1127

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    En Sabah nur, Alias Apocalypse, is a mutant, Homo s superior. More specifically, he is an External, a subcategory of mutants whose powers all given them some means of resisting or negating the aging process and coming back to life: They've got kind of a highlander thing going where the only way to permenantly kill one, under normal circumstances, is for them to die at the hands of another External, in which case the slain External's power and life force are divided equally among all currently living Externals(though they can cheat this by binding their Life Force into crystals, which can be to their advantage or detriment depends on circumstances.)

While his name literally means "the First One" in a dialect spoken on the outskirts of Egypt at the time of hs birth, he's really only the first of the second wave of mutants—the mutant currently known as Selene predates him by 12 thousand years as the first "proper" mutant, though proto mutants date back to when the Celestials first experimented on human anestors over one million years ago.

However, En Sabah Nur is a transhumanist(transmutantist?): While he values survival of the fittest, he also believes that there's no shame in making someone fit through artificial means. After deposing the Pharoah Rama Tut(in fact, a time traveler by the name of Nathaniel Richards, who would then go on to become Kang the Conqueror) he stole his future tech and, among other things, used it to genetically optimize himself, boosting his powers and unlocking latent abilities.

After being infected with the Techno-Organic Virus at around the year 1000 AD, he was able to do the same with some Celestial technology he'd come across and eventually merge celestial technology, and other bits of tech, into himself at the molecular level, meaning that he's an "ideal cyborg, flesh and machinery fused seamlessly to the point that it's impossible tot ell where one ends and the other begins.

He often claims to be a God, and when you look at his physiology, his physical prowess, and his ability to manipulate cosmic energy... He's not wrong. If he's not a God, by in-universe standards, then the distinction is academic.

(Note: Several mutants have become Gods, Demons, or similar beings by various means. Storm is a Goddess, Magick is a Hell Lord, and the only reason Ice Man hasn't become a second Ymir is that he doesn't want to.)

He's also dabbed in sorcery, though he tends to default to science when dealing with supernatural threats, and after relearning the value of compassion and togetherness was able to invent a new kind of magic, the "Magos Superior," wherein five mutants standing in a quincunx formation can work magic without incurring debt or requiring an external cost by commingling their power in a ritual, with the caveat that the mutants need to have specific powers and take specific roles in the ritual.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    However, En Sabah Nur is a transhumanist(transmutantist?)
    Transhumanist, everything in the Homo genus is called human, scientifically speaking.

(Right now it is a moot point, but it might matter in a couple centuries.)
    Forum Wisdom

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Titan in the Playground

And here I thought Rassilon held the crown for must overly pompous immortal scientist. At least Apocalypse has better fashion sense than a Time Lord.

Show

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Titan in the Playground

And here I thought Rassilon held the crown for must overly pompous immortal scientist. At least Apocalypse has better fashion sense than a Time Lord.
    But can the content of Nur's sock drawyer destroy a planet?
    Forum Wisdom

21. - Top - End - #1131

It's hard to beat Timothy Dalton. The man is a legend.

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know, I'm not Rater.

But yeah, I'm hoping the new series actually does something with Rassilon. Although sadly the plot line that was being set up there for burnt down with Gallifrey. But he's just come off as staggeringly incompetent compared to the Matter, and not just the relatively sane Delgado Matter (and the War Chief of we disregard the official line about them being different).

Show

23. - Top - End - #1133

Considering that all of his known outfits are made of celestial technology, probably.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Titan in the Playground

But yeah, I'm hoping the new series actually does something with Rassilon. Although sadly the plot line that was being set up there for burnt down with Gallifrey. But he's just come off as staggeringly incompetent compared to the Matter, and not just the relatively sane Delgado Matter (and the War Chief of we disregard the official line about them being different).
    I'm told Old Man Rassilon showed up in the Titan Comics where he allied with the Cybermen (even got turned into a Cyber-planner) to rewrite the timeline and it took the coordinated efforts of Doctor 1 through 12 to stop him.
    Forum Wisdom

25. - Top - End - #1135

Real talk here, if Dalton returns that may well be enough to get me back into it. Though, Time Lords being Time Lords, he may well not.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Titan in the Playground

I'm told Old Man Rassilon showed up in the Titan Comics where he allied with the Cybermen (even got turned into a Cyber-planner) to rewrite the timeline and it took the coordinated efforts of Doctor 1 through 12 to stop him.
    I'll pay that as much attention as the TV series will.

In all honesty, we've got the 60th Anniversary in a couple of years. Not only do I suspect we'll get a multi Doctor sorry (sadly likely without Colin Basket or McGann) I suspect that if the Master isn't the violation it'll be Rassilon.

Real talk here, if Dalton returns that may well be enough to get me back into it. Though, Time Lords being Time Lords, he may well not.
    I believe officially the Master made him regenerate, hence the new form in Day off the Doctor. In a time travel show that wouldn't mean much, but I expect Rassilon rarely left Gallifrey, and Gallifrey's time travel defences means that nobody can travel into it's past. Gallifrey is the one absolute of the Whoniverse (although others could in theory be created).

Show

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Titan in the Playground

In all honesty, we've got the 60th Anniversary in a couple of years. Not only do I suspect we'll get a multi Doctor sorry (sadly likely without Colin Basket or McGann) I suspect that if the Master isn't the violation it'll be Rassilon.
    It's been a while since we've last heard of Omega.

I believe officially the Master made him regenerate, hence the new form in Day off the Doctor. In a time travel show that wouldn't mean much, but I expect Rassilon rarely left Gallifrey, and Gallifrey's time travel defences means that nobody can travel into it's past.
    Except when they do.
    Forum Wisdom

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Titan in the Playground

It's been a while since we've last heard of Omega.
    Has he got any closer to regaining a permanent body yet?

Actually, the return of Omega and his megalomania would make for an incredibly fun story. I do hope they go with him.

Except when they do.
    Sadly the new series seems to have shuffled all the bigger fish than the Time Lords into the 'not around here anymore' category. Although I suppose somebody could always try to enslave Kronos again.

Show

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Titan in the Playground

Has he got any closer to regaining a permanent body yet?
    Permanent? No.

Actually, the return of Omega and his megalomania would make for an incredibly fun story.
    Heh, it was okay.
    I do hope they go with him.
    I was mostly joking. Honestly pretty much any vilain could make it work in the right story.

Though, if somebody asked me "if you had to write the biggest, grandest, flashiest Doctor Who episode, whi would you use as the main antagonist?" I'd answer "The Valeyard working with the Black Guardian." Let's go for broke.

Sadly the new series seems to have shuffled all the bigger fish than the Time Lords into the 'not around here anymore' category. Although I suppose somebody could always try to enslave Kronos again.
    The weird gods from the nightmare episode referenced a lot of of these: the Guardians, the Eternals, all that.
    That was one of my main gripe with the last series, it kept calling back to the classic show but aggressively refused to build anything on thay, to the point of burning Gallifrey down! Again. Offscreen.
    Forum Wisdom

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Titan in the Playground

At least when Davies removed Gallifrey from the toybox he kept it interact and didn't his last couple of episodes setting up it's return.

Chibnall seems to have done all this just to make the Doctor into somebody they never were, and the worst thing about it for me is that it's removed potential plotlines even if the new developments had been kept. So the Time Lords essentially tortured the Doctor and stole regeneration from them? Well they can't really be confronted about it, everybody bar Rassilon and the Master is dead.

Although I fully foresee the next showrunner at the very least setting up a New Gallifrey that a significant portion of the Time Lords died to. The greatest species in the universe reduced to refugees could be interesting, and is the perfect stepping point for one of the founders to rise again.

Show