New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1495
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    ...I have the weirdest case on the Mandella effect right now.

Until I started this everyone I'd ever asked on the subject had cursive, thought that printing was easier to read and write, and so on.

A little while back my mother(who actually can use cursive, for context) and I spent over an hour trying to decipher what a doctor wrote as the cause of death on a relative's death certificate.

And now multiple people are telling me it's easier.

I could have sworn that "cursive sucks" was a universally held opinion.
    Oh dotn get me wrong. Cursive is harder for me to read, especially if it's someone with bad handwriting. It's just faster to write. And I assume people can read their own handwriting

Also, universal joke about doctors handwriting regardless.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Until I started this everyone I'd ever asked on the subject had cursive, thought that printing was easier to read and write, and so on.

A little while back my mother(who actually can use cursive, for context) and I spent over an hour trying to decipher what a doctor wrote as the cause of death on a relative's death certificate.

To be fair doctors of medicine write a lot, and I suspect have an easier time reading each others handwriting. Three issue here isn't cursive, it's that not everybody's cursive it's legible.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Colossus in the Playground

...I accidentally reminded myself of the episode of the Simpsons where they move to another town becuase Homer got a better job, everything seems great, but then the whole family aside from Homer ends up Miserable.

At the new school, Bart has trouble reading Cursive and this and this alone is enough to get him sent to the special needs classes... With students that include a seemingly normal boy who likes to start fires and girl who lost consciousness after hurting herself on playground equipment and woke up in the special needs room.

And not a good special needs class, either. A fourth-grader who can't read cursive, a fourth-grader who lost consciousness after a playground accident and woke up in the special needs room instead of a hospital, and a fourth graded who liked to start fires were receiving lessons on how to write a letter "A" midway into a school year by a teacher who treated them like preschoolers and mocked Bart for claiming rightfully that he's supposed to be receiving a fourth-grade education.

I want to say I hope that the episode was exaggerating and no schools, especially not fancy well-funded schools run by a billionaire who actually gives a damn about people's health and happiness, wouldn't be that bad... But... *literally everything I've said about school*

(It's especially jarring when you consider that multiple episodes have established that Bart is a prodigy with languages—being able to rapidly become fully fluent in French, Spanish, Latin, Cantonese, and Japanese in various episodes. In comparison to that, learning a slightly different alphabet for the same language should be a piece of cake. Given actual remedial lessons to catch up to the new school's standards he could have easily caught up but he's denied the opportunity.)
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-09-10 at 09:58 AM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Titan in the Playground

Cursive is terrible.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The teachers didn't lie, they were wrong. Big difference there. If you had a teacher in the late 1950s they would have told you to either be ready for a factory job and to buy a house at 22 or to be ready to have kids at 22, and then had a great shot of being totally wrong because the world changed in dramatic and incalculable ways.

In this case, people hand wrote constantly (CONSTANTLY) until the mid1990s, and teachers did their education before the shift. They cancelled cursive at my elementary school while I was in high school, because the lag between when something changes and when education becomes aware of that change is fairly long. Society is even slower, older people at my office still give me a hard time about my handwriting despite me writing exactly my name on any given day. Yes we have 50,000+ hand filled documents on record in a huge vault, no we won't ever add to it.

Don't blame the teachers, blame the extreme rate of social change.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I changed schools from a school that didn't teach cursive till later than my age, to a school that taught cursive before my age. That didn't go well.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-09-10 at 12:10 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

There are so many things that teachers don't teach kids at school which they picture history and other subjects as deception of illusion and lies.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    There are so many things that teachers don't teach kids at school which they picture history and other subjects as deception of illusion and lies.
    I don't understand what you're saying, could you elaborate?

But yeah, there's things that plenty of people aren't taught in school but evil m which will serve them well in later life. The best majority of schooling is, in my opinion, making certain that people who want to continue onto further education can.

Although I support the idea that what most people learn in maths up until about age 15/16 is useful. Not all of it, but anything up to basic algebra and arrang even basic calculus at least teaches important concepts, the same with literary analysis (it's about teaching you to break down languages to find Hidden and unhidden meaning).

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I don't understand what you're saying, could you elaborate?

But yeah, there's things that plenty of people aren't taught in school but evil m which will serve them well in later life. The best majority of schooling is, in my opinion, making certain that people who want to continue onto further education can.

Although I support the idea that what most people learn in maths up until about age 15/16 is useful. Not all of it, but anything up to basic algebra and arrange even basic calculus at least teaches important concepts, the same with literary analysis (it's about teaching you to break down languages to find Hidden and unhidden meaning).
    For example, when I was at school many years ago, my childhood school teacher taught me that Christopher Columbus discovered America but he didn't discover America at all, It was the Native Americans who were living in America first, which I learned many years later by one of my co-workers who told me about Indigenous People Day.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2021-09-10 at 01:56 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Although I support the idea that what most people learn in maths up until about age 15/16 is useful. Not all of it, but anything up to basic algebra and arrang even basic calculus at least teaches important concepts
    Even if you forget all about the formulas, being at ease with numbers will help you with money.
    The day a teacher is wrong about that will be a happy day of post-scarcity (or post-apocalyptic horror story).
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Titan in the Playground

For example, when I was at school many years ago, my childhood school teacher taught me that Christopher Columbus discovered America but he didn't discover America at all, It was the Native Americans who were living in America first, which I learned many years later by one of my co-workers who told me about Indigenous People Day.
    Frankly we were taught that because we were kids.

"Columbus' voyage to the west thought it had discovered India, but we later learned he found Cuba, and then we re-discovered the American continent for European colonization. Vikings actually discovered America before that and completely ignored it for the most part - or, well, technically the natives discovered it first waaaaaaay back before human history really began" is the truth, but it's also hard for a kid to follow. "Columbus discovered America" is true enough for a kid to understand, at least for the purposes of learning history.

It's an important event to understand the American continent, but it's also not so important as to dwell on it. "Columbus told Spain about America and that started the colonization race" is the important bit as far as modern history goes.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2021-09-10 at 02:09 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Frankly we were taught that because we were kids.

"Columbus' voyage to the west thought it had discovered India, but we later learned he found Cuba, and then we re-discovered the American continent for European colonization. Vikings actually discovered America before that and completely ignored it for the most part - or, well, technically the natives discovered it first waaaaaaay back before human history really began" is the truth, but it's also hard for a kid to follow. "Columbus discovered America" is true enough for a kid to understand, at least for the purposes of learning history.

It's an important event to understand the American continent, but it's also not so important as to dwell on it. "Columbus told Spain about America and that started the colonization race" is the important bit as far as modern history goes.
    Well I think the school system should have been honest about this information.

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Titan in the Playground

It is 100% true that Columbus discovered America (well, the Caribbean islands at least). There were people who discovered it before him, but he still didn't know it was there and made a discovery.

But yes, the story as told is highly simplified and in some cases wrong (the fact he got his calculations wrong is often left out).

Other things that were discovered multiple times include calculus and scientific ideas people refused to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Even if you forget all about the formulas, being at ease with numbers will help you with money.
    The day a teacher is wrong about that will be a happy day of post-scarcity (or post-apocalyptic horror story).
    Yep! Literally the only reason I put basic calculus on there is because I think that knowing to look at the rate of change of a variable is a good thing to have drilled into you.

Honestly the midst 'useless' thing taught are the arts, and even then I wouldn't do them from the system. While in my life I've had no reason to know the things I learnt in art, music, or drama class they still helped me even if it was just finding out what I like. (I also know somebody who uses songs and music as their lens for the world, so I must imagine it helped them a great deal.)
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-09-10 at 02:28 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Titan in the Playground

Until I started this everyone I'd ever asked on the subject had cursive, thought that printing was easier to read and write, and so on. ...
    It's definitely easier to write, especially if you are under any kind of time pressure to do so; the simple change of not having to repeatedly pick up and put down your writing implement to reset your writing location sees to that. It's probably also less stress on your hand and wrist for the same thing. (I would speculate anybody who thinks full disconnected print is 'easier to write' probably learned cursive under protest and was not made to spend much time practicing it to gain familiarity with it. Like any skill it develops with use and withers with neglect.)

Easier to read is.. definitely questionable, and is hugely dependent on both the person writing and what the reader learned as 'cursive.' With nobody putting pressure on somebody to maintain and practice a clear, consistent style of cursive people's writing tends to degenerate, and there isn't a single standard variety of 'cursive' anyways - documents like the previously referenced Constitution are actually fairly hard to read for modern readers, because the style of lettering used on it is different to the most common styles of cursive taught today! (Specifically it's written in a calligraphic style with a lot of flourishes and things that make individual letters harder to make out, while the cursive style or styles most people would have learned in school is supposed to emphasize clarity of understanding more and doesn't use many serifs or strokes not required to form the letter.)

Although IME what people adopt if they need other people to reliably read their writing is a kind of pidgin script where the letter shapes are closer to block printing style, but most of them are written joined for faster writing.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2021-09-10 at 02:39 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, I am curious, until your coworker explained it to you, why did you think the Native Americans were called that?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Wait, I am curious, until your coworker explained it to you, why did you think the Native Americans were called that?
    I didn't know at the time. I didn't even know that Native Americans were called Indigenous People. Also, I didn't even know there was such a holiday as Indigenous Peoples Day.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2021-09-10 at 07:18 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well I think the school system should have been honest about this information.
    They were honest, its just that the world is big, history is complicated, and children are easily bored. Columbus discovered America for the group of people he belonged to (ie the political and social circles of Europe at that time), which happened to be one of the most acted upon discoveries of America. That he wasnt the first one to get there doesnt mean he didnt make the discovery for his group.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The whole concept behind "lies for children" is that humans naturally think in stories, and reality is just an infinite number of context free events. Try explaining the stock market to a kid without glossing over details and exceptions, you will basically be speaking gibberish and they won't understand what you are saying at all.

Even more poignantly, try to explain nutrition to a child.

19. - Top - End - #1249

Surprise last day at work today! Now I have a free week before I get to go to various training facilities across multiple states. The downside is there's going to be a week without pay, but that's manageable enough.

Dunno how consistently I'll be able to be on here for the next half year or so though.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-09-10 at 06:47 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Hyoi View Post
    (warning, incoming digression into linguistics and literary criticism)

I think you can go even deeper with this analysis, and say that "reality is just an infinite number of context free events" is a framing device for scientific discourse. Since we live in a heavily science-based society, we're used to assuming that frame when interpreting language, which creates problems when we encounter language that wasn't conceived within that frame.
    For sure. It is hard to teach anyone "the truth" without first teaching them a massive amount of cultural concepts about science and philosophy first.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Surprise last day at work today! Now I have a free week before I get to go to various training facilities across multiple states. The surveys is there's going to be a week without pay, but that's manageable enough.

Dunno how consistently I'll be able to be on here for the next half year or so though.
    Yay and oh no! Well you will be missed, but good on you for seizing the future.

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Titan in the Playground

various training facilities across multiple states.
    Tell us again how "not that cool" your new job is going to be.

Also, you're not being paid for mandatory training?

Well you'll be back for when I get around to reviewing Avatar, so it'll be fine.
    Seriously though, happy tidings to you.
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #1252

Tell us again how "not that cool" your new job is going to be.
    OK, it's pretty damn cool. There's even a maid service at the training facilities, and I hear the food is effectively "today there's a taco bar, salad bar, five types of pizza, steaks cooked to order, and various vegetable sides. Tomorrow is Italian night." It's gonna be a lot of work, but a lot of perks.
    Also, you're not being paid for mandatory training?
    The training spans roughly seven months or so, during which I will be very well paid. The week without pay is between old job and new job (training). That is manageable. The full training without pay is not at all manageable, I'm not that well off. Also kind of illegal here IIRC.
    Well you'll be back for when I get around to reviewing Avatar, so it'll be fine.
    Seriously though, happy tidings to you.
    HUZZAH! Thanks, and you will love Avatar!

After you do the first season, you should check out the movie. Compare/contrast.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-09-10 at 06:07 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Troll in the Playground

It'll be quiet around here without you.
    Take that as you will. :P
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Titan in the Playground

Surprise last day at work today!
    Well that was fast, you only just got the job.

Now I have a free week before I get to go to various training facilities across multiple states. The surveys is there's going to be a week without pay, but that's manageable enough.

Ah, now I get it.

Also definitely a sense of coolness here, you know the British equivalent would involve two months in rural Wales with no coat.

Show

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Ettin in the Playground

Surprise last day at work today! Now I have a free week before I get to go to various training facilities across multiple states. The downside is there's going to be a week without pay, but that's manageable enough.

Hey, congrats on the new job! Sounds like it will be a lot of fun! (and probably a lot of hard work. But that's why they call it 'work' after all!)
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Titan in the Playground

OK, it's pretty damn cool. There's even a maid service at the training facilities, and I hear the food is effectively "today there's a taco bar, salad bar, five types of pizza, steaks cooked to order, and various vegetable sides. Tomorrow is Italian night." It's gonna be a lot of work, but a lot of perks.
    Okay that's pretty sweet.

The training spans roughly seven months or so, during which I will be very well paid. The week without pay is between old job and new job (training). That is manageable. The full training without pay is not at all manageable, I'm not that well off. Also kind of illegal here IIRC.
    Ah, that makes more sense.

HUZZAH! Thanks, and you will love Avatar!

After you do the first season, you should check out the movie. Compare/contrast.
    Spoiler: Hmmmm...
    Show
    ......... andthenyoushouldwatchthemovie

[ducks for cover from those who have seen the movie]
    Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Or perhaps watch the movie first ...

I mean maybe the movie is better if you haven't seen the series first?
    I just finished my series rewatch on Sunday, tried to find Legend of Korra, and on that failure, discovered the movie is in Netflix, and gave it a go, expecting to have fun just mocking it.

I will theorize that no, watching it without seeing the series first would not help. It's not just bad, it's aggressively bad. And I think that seeing it with no show context would just be confusing for the most part, along with spoiling the entire first season despite managing to skip over the vast majority of it, and instill a desire to just not watch the show. I was shocked when I found out Shyamalan was the one who pushed to make it into a movie after watching with his kids, because not ten minutes into it, I would have sworn it was made by someone who not only didn't watch the series, but only heard about it from a friend who watched it despite not being terribly interested and probably spent some time on their phone instead.
    ... what the hell did his kids ever do to him?
    I have no idea, but nothing deserving what he did to that movie.

I actually think they could have pulled off a movie series, if they did each season/book as it's own trilogy, effectively making it a 9-part movie series. That way everything could be less rushed, the character growth and world building could still come through, they could develop the primary and secondary villains of each book, and if done by anyone competent (by that point Shyamalan was known to be "absolutely not 'the next Spielberg' as predicted in 1997") could have been a cash cow for them.

When it took an entire formation of Earth benders to slowly move a rock the size of a large housecat, I openly laughed. That whole scene was patently ridiculous.
    I had forgotten about that largely because I think I went temporarally catatonic after:

Earthbenders!
    There is earth right beneath your feet.
    I will admit that I had forgotten the actual text and had replaced it with "Earthbenders, your in a quarry! There are rocks all around you!" I am not sure which is worse.
    I think making you catatonic was the intent, so you wouldn't notice thr even dumber response, which was basically "....so?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Iskar Jarak View Post
    I'm enjoying the reviews as well. My preference is for analysis and feelings, but Clone Wars doesn't really lend itself to that.

As per this thread's recommendation, I watched Avatar and it was excellent. Easily the best TV series I've watched in quite a while. I was surprised to see Filoni's name pop up in the credits; turns out he did a lot of work on the first season. Mark Hamill also voices a character.

What the Avatar movie did to the series is unforgivable. It stomps the source material into mulch. I saw it before I watched the series several years ago; I can only imagine the horror of watching it after enjoying the series and expecting something good. Apparently, there's a live action series in the works, which can hardly be worse.
    They could film some cows grazing in a field as the entire live action series and it wouldn't be worse, despite having nothing to do with the source material. Also, i totally recognized Mark Hamill, but not for a good reason - he did nearly the exact same voice as he did in Castle in the Sky. Didn't matter, still rocked it. It's a good voice.

Also, as for Clone Wars, Fyraltari is closing in on my favorite episode, so yay! Only ten to go through before hitting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    The live-action Avatar: The Last Airbender was terrible, no doubt, and I have little faith a sequel would have been much better, but after watching "The Magicians", I will admit to being a bit curious to see Summer Bishil playing Azula.
    So I’m gonna go ahead and not watch that movie. Besides I have a whole separate list of movies I need to watch.

Thank you!
    I’ll try to keep that in mind.
    This is my sad face. Get down here in the dumpster with the rest of us!

For reals, though. I'm 90% sure they just used the first take on, quite literally, every single scene in the movie. It's like watching a high school play that was inexplicably given a hundred million dollar budget.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-09-11 at 06:39 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Titan in the Playground

What does a movie about blue space wolves have to do with a series full of gay people? What is this The Last Airbender of which you speak?

Show

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Colossus in the Playground

Experiment: Leftover onion soup from the other day(made from soup mix, made a hall of a lot of soup) and leftover plain fried rice from last night(from the local Chinese place) heated up for a minute in the microwave, then topped with cheese-its because why the hell not.

Results: Actually kind of good.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #1259

Okay that's pretty sweet.

Ah, that makes more sense.
    I cannot accurately express my level of excitement.

Also, I spoke the truth!
    Get down here in the dumpster with the rest of us!

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Happy 20th anniversary of Patriots Day everyone.