New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1495
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Somebody's never been to Wales.
    I think I have a pretty good idea of what Wales is like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyoi View Post
    My hometown has almost three times as much average annual rainfall as London does, and it's only a little bit less rainy in the city where Peelee lives. Britain has nothing on the American Southeast in terms of airborne water.
    Airborne water in terms of humidity, but I'm like 90% sure the English water reserves are based on the idea that it will rain on average every three days, and if it doesn't rain for two weeks it's declared a drought.

I just checked and London gets on average 5 times as much annual rainfall as my hometown.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-09-12 at 12:18 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Somebody's never been to Wales.
    Good for them.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Good for them.
    I mean the only reason I have for visiting is that family has to move there.

But yeah, I think Peelee is about right. The British Isles don't actually have continual rain, but train is pretty regular. Although I think in London itself it's more common during the night, and it does very much vary depending on what part of the Isles you are in (some areas do get pretty constant rain).

I'm used to cloud cover, and depending on the exact period in my life I've always had a raincoat or umbrella handy. It might not be overly humid, but we're fairly wet.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I think I have a pretty good idea of what Wales is like.
    I just checked and London gets on average 5 times as much annual rainfall as my hometown.
    I take it your hometown isn't actually in Alabama. My hometown in the northeast US gets nearly 2 times as much annual rainfall as London.

5. - Top - End - #1295

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    I take it your hometown isn't actually in Alabama. My hometown in the northeast US gets nearly 2 times as much annual rainfall as London.
    Birmingham. The one pronounced as "ham" rather than "um".

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    London is not the wettest part of Britain.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    London is not the wettest part of Britain.
    The Doctor: *Studying a corpse* He died from... extreme lack of sunlight?

Nardole: Look at that, death by Scotland.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #1298

Google tells me Birmingham averages 56 inches of rain per year compared with 27 inches in London or 67 inches where I live. While looking it up I found out that even the legendarily wet Seattle only gets 37 inches of rain per year, so now I don't know what to believe...
    Huh. Google was yanking my chain earlier. Interesting, I'm now getting that same result.

9. - Top - End - #1299

MindFlayer

While looking it up I found out that even the legendarily wet Seattle only gets 37 inches of rain per year, so now I don't know what to believe...
    I believe Seattle has its reputation because:
    1. It has a lot of days with some rain, even if the total amount in mm isn't large,
    2. It's people from the semi-desert parts of California who talk about Seattle weather.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I never understood why people get so upset about putting pineapples over pizza. To be honest, I never eat it but I want to try it someday.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

11. - Top - End - #1301

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I never understood why people get so upset about putting pineapples over pizza. To be honest, I never eat it but I want to try it someday.
    It's alright. While it probably depends on the quality of pineapple, when I've eaten it it was a little sour but still fairly good pizza. People getting 'upset' is mostly a very widespread joke about something that's relatively uncommon.
    Last edited by Caerulea; 2021-09-12 at 07:13 PM.
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    It's alright. While it probably depends on the quality of pineapple, when I've eaten it it was a little sour but still fairly good pizza. People getting 'upset' is mostly a very widespread joke about something that's relatively uncommon.
    Yes, I get that but I find it a bit ridiculous that people will get upset over food.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2021-09-12 at 07:37 PM.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Colossus in the Playground

We've spoken about this before.

In short: You're asking the wrong question.

You should be asking why so many people like pineapple on pizza.

Conventional culinary wisdom is that it shouldn't go together.

Pineapple has a chunky, stringy texture, it's a very juicy fruit. This goes against the expected mouthfeel of a traditional pizza.

Its flavor is very sweet, a little sour, and a bit tangy, and that flavor profile clashes with the flavor profile of a traditional pizza sauce, which is mostly savory and spiced(or even spicy) with only a hint of sweetness. At best they're canceling out and at worst the clash renders it unpalatable.

Furthermore, pineapple juice has a lot of enzymes in it that break down protiens. This means that pineapple goes really well with meats, but with a mild, stringy cheese like what you'd put on a pizza...

Now, conventional wisdom isn't always correct... Except there are a number of people on record who are legitimately sickened by a pineapple pizza. If you search on youtube, Gordon Ramsey once ate a Hawaiian pizza to raise money for... Something, after expressing disdain for pineapple on pizza, and either he spat it out or threw it up.

At the same time, there are enough people who do enjoy pineapple on pizza that it can't just be a fluke.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #1304

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Yes, I get that but I find it a bit ridiculous that people will get upset over food.
    Other people have different tastes than you. Some are very vocal about it. Thats all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Conventional culinary wisdom is that it shouldn't go together.
    "Conventional culinary wisdom is bunk" - Henry Ford, probably.

15. - Top - End - #1305

Granted: Most people who talk about Pineapple Pizza are talking about the so-called Hawaiian pizza, pineapple chunks and ham.

I've heard some people make a convincing argument for adding a small amount of both crushed pineapple and habanero to meat-lovers which... could work?

If the pizza is fully loaded than a little bit of pineapple on top of the meat layer should complement the meat without denaturing the cheese and a very light amount of habanero added to the sauce should counterbalance the potential effects that the pineapple would have on the sauce. Crushed pineapple also doesn't necessarily have the same texture issues as chunks of pineapple.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Titan in the Playground

I think pineapple on pizza works, but it can't be amazing pineapple. It's not the best thing to have on a pizza, but I'll occasionally get a craving for ham & pineapple.

But then again my favourite kinds of (American) pizza are seafood and goats cheese with red onion. While they're not exactly unpopular they're also not what people tend to think of.

But we're missing the real problem, the tendency for walnuts to ruin perfectly good dishes with their texture. It's almost as bad as those flavourless beansprouts that find their way into Chinese food.

Yeah, those are the two individual ingredients I dislike. Walnuts belong in coffee and walnut cake where their texture doesn't get in the way, while beansprouts being nowhere near my plate.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Titan in the Playground

Walnuts, or any kind of nut in brownies ruins perfectly good brownies, in my humble opinion.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Ettin in the Playground

I like the flavor (including both taste and smell) of pineapple in pizza, when I'm in the right mood, but I only like the texture of pineapple on pizza if it's done properly which very few pizza-makers do and the pineapple itself has the right properties before application, which is unreliable due to factors in the growing and canning processes.

Most of the time, either it's too woody and/or too fibrous, or it isn't drained properly and makes the other components soggy and/or mushy. When it's done right, it's great, but it's rarely done right.

Rater, your idea of using crushed instead of chunk (and adding a bit more heat to balance it) is brilliant, but if I were to try that I'd put it inside the dough, rather than making it a layer in its own right.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Walnuts, or any kind of nut in brownies ruins perfectly good brownies, in my humble opinion.
    Agreed, in my less humble opinion. Brownies are supposed to be chewy. Why would you put nuts in them? What sort of mad realm do you have to come from where chewy foods go crunch?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Also ruins the flavour of the coffee or chilli you've added.

But I'm not the biggest fan of nuts in general. I can handle non walnuts, but they're get from my favourite kinds of food.

On the other hand the cube is why I'm still awake at half two.

Show

21. - Top - End - #1311

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Rater, your idea of using crushed instead of chunk (and adding a bit more heat to balance it) is brilliant, but if I were to try that I'd put it inside the dough, rather than making it a layer in its own right.
    I can't take full credit for that, I'm mostly connecting and regurgitating ideas I've heard from other people.

The reason you put it as a layer ontop of a full layer of meat is becuase of those enzymes. You ever had a steak that's been perforated and had some crushed pineapple packed onto it before being cooked well done in the oven?

the meat gets so tender and the broken down proteins are more easily recognized by the tongue, the meat tastes meatier. Same thing that happens when yo put basil on eggs or put salt in most things.

So if we're talking a fully loaded meat-lovers pizza—ham, bacon, sausage, pepperoni, ground beef to start and some places just get absolutely crazy with their meat-lovers—then a little bit of crushed pineapple on top of the meat would give a similar effect while the layer of meat would prevent it from doing too much damage to the cheese underneath.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Troll in the Playground

I like pineapple on pizza because A) it mellows the pineapple flavour, which I find way too strong otherwise (I want to eat my food, I don't want it eating me!), and B) the sweetness and the liquid counterbalances well with the fats and starches of the rest of the pizza. Just adds that little bit of freshness to a bite, to try and describe it.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Ettin in the Playground

I can't take full credit for that, I'm mostly connecting and regurgitating ideas I've heard from other people.

The reason you put it as a layer ontop of a full layer of meat is becuase of those enzymes. You ever had a steak that's been perforated and had some crushed pineapple packed onto it before being cooked well done in the oven?

the meat gets so tender and the broken down proteins are more easily recognized by the tongue, the meat tastes meatier. Same thing that happens when yo put basil on eggs or put salt in most things.

So if we're talking a fully loaded meat-lovers pizza—ham, bacon, sausage, pepperoni, ground beef to start and some places just get absolutely crazy with their meat-lovers—then a little bit of crushed pineapple on top of the meat would give a similar effect while the layer of meat would prevent it from doing too much damage to the cheese underneath.
    Wait, are you suggesting they crush the pineapple in-house? I was assuming canned crushed pineapple, which doesn't have bromelain.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I like the flavor (including both taste and smell) of pineapple in pizza, when I'm in the right mood, but I only like the texture of pineapple on pizza if it's done properly which very few pizza-makers do and the pineapple itself has the right properties before application, which is unreliable due to factors in the growing and canning processes.

Most of the time, either it's too woody and/or too fibrous, or it isn't drained properly and makes the other components soggy and/or mushy. When it's done right, it's great, but it's rarely done right.

Canned pineapple is trash. I thought as a kid I hated pineapple, but then someone convinced me to try a bit of a fresh one, and it was delicious. It turns out that canned pineapple loses 80% of its flavour, and all its vitamins.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-09-12 at 11:07 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

25. - Top - End - #1315

Wait, are you suggesting they crush the pineapple in-house? I was assuming canned crushed pineapple, which doesn't have bromelain.
    Then what the hell's the point?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Ettin in the Playground

I... have no idea, actually.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

27. - Top - End - #1317

Taste, I would imagine.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Firbolg in the Playground

Not everyone's into enzymes you know. While undoubtedly useful, they are creepy compounds that break stuff up. I wouldn't like to have one as a neighbour.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know if pineapple is any good at pizza.

But the meme that it's the most atrocious of sins is fun.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #1320

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I don't know if pineapple is any good at pizza.

But the meme that it's the most atrocious of sins is fun.
    It's pretty good if youre in the mood for it. Hawaiian pizza (pineapple, ham, and bacon) is tasty.

Meme is still fun.