New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1495
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

I concur, Hawaiian pizza is pretty good. Sweetness of the pineapple goes well with the saltiness of the ham. Not my favorite type (probably mushroom) but it’s nice once in a while.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Pineapple pizza is good. Not my favorite, but pretty decent for variation.

I also tend to add some pineapple when preparing something with sweet and sour sauce. It's a decent combo. I tried adding mandarin instead once, but it shriveled in the pan, so I'd have to add it afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I don't know if pineapple is any good at pizza.

But the meme that it's the most atrocious of sins is fun.
    Sweet, delicious sin.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

My mom makes a dish sometimes that has kielbasa with pineapple and a mustard sauce and it’s pretty delicious even though you wouldn’t think those foods go together at first glance.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Troll in the Playground

They say pineapple's a good combo with any meat because it contains enzymes that break down proteins (hence the joke that it's the only food that eats you back). I've never heard of it being used for sausage, though (sweetened mustard sauce sounds amazing, though!).
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Colossus in the Playground

I just saw a thing that says who you sympathize with in Tom & Jerry depends on whether you're an older sibling or a younger sibling.

And then I realized that most episodes of the show, at least in the old days, are Tom suffering negative consequences for something Jerry did, Jerry antagonizing Tom for really no reason, or Tom trying and failing to do his job and suffering for it.

I can never see the show the same way again now.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I just saw a thing that says who you sympathize with in Tom & Jerry depends on whether you're an older sibling or a younger sibling.

And then I realized that most episodes of the show, at least in the old days, are Tom suffering negative consequences for something Jerry did, Jerry antagonizing Tom for really no reason, or Tom trying and failing to do his job and suffering for it.

Jerry and Tom both antagonized the other while the other was just minding their business, depending on the episode. Regardless, though, Tom was always going to get the shaft at the end because he's the bigger, stronger one. Old school cartoons always punched up.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Statistically speaking, tom starts it more often than not, and Jerry suffers far more often, and more harshly, when he goes after Tom unprovoked.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #1328

Tom stars it becuase it's his job t start it: More or less every episode has him not be a pet, but a cat specifically to catch mice.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #1329

Tom stars it becuase it's his job t start it: More or less every episode has him not be a pet, but a cat specifically to catch mice.
    If Bob's job is to follow you around and punch you all day long, would you have any sympathy for Bob suffering due to anything you do?

10. - Top - End - #1330

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    If Bob's job is to follow you around and punch you all day long, would you have any sympathy for Bob suffering due to anything you do?
    No, but if Bob's a security guard and his job is to catch the guy squatting on the property and stealing from the owners. I mean, in most episodes where tom starts it that's the most apt comparison.

In fact, in it's the future and they're fighting each other with RC robots" short I'm pretty sure that's literally the case.

they're both clearly as smart as people, so if we treat them like people, Jerry's a trespasser on the property who supports himself by burglarizing the property.

If you filter out those episodes, then most of the remainder are of Jerry antagonizing Tom for no reason and getting away with it—sometimes Tom gets in trouble for retaliating even—or one-shot episodes that shake up the formula. And those are the episodes where the "big sibling/little sibling" dynamic comes in.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

No, but if Bob's a security guard and his job is to catch the guy squatting on the property and stealing from the owners. I mean, in most episodes where tom starts it that's the most apt comparison.

In fact, in it's the future and they're fighting each other with RC robots" short I'm pretty sure that's literally the case.

they're both clearly as smart as people, so if we treat them like people, Jerry's a trespasser on the property who supports himself by burglarizing the property.

If you filter out those episodes, then most of the remainder are of Jerry antagonizing Tom for no reason and getting away with it—sometimes Tom gets in trouble for retaliating even—or one-shot episodes that shake up the formula. And those are the episodes where the "big sibling/little sibling" dynamic comes in.
    I mean sure, if you start with the presumption that Jerry is inherently in the wrong, then he comes off as being a lot worse. But when you take it at face value that his only crime is "being a mouse" then Jerry becomes significantly more sympathetic.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #1332

Thing from Elementary school.

In the third or fourth grade(the rooms were right next to each other) someone came into the school in the middle of the night and vandalized the boy's bathroom in the part of the hallway our class was in.

so the school removed the door from the boy's bathroom, figuring that that would stop further vandalism.

While there was no further vandalism, the vandals to my knowledge were never caught and the door was not reinstalled during my time there.

At the time I didn't think anything of it... But 1: The removed door meant that anyone in the hallway had a clear line of sight to the urinals, which... Kind of a big deal and 2: I don't understand what they were... The vandalism happened out of school hours. There was no evidence whatsoever that it was even a student so in hindsight, what purpose did violating the privacy of the boys' in that school during school hours serve?

Does anybody else have a story like that? A "okay, how does A solve/justify the problems that come from B?" story?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Typically, though i suppose not universally, bathrooms are constructed with various interior screenings specifically to retain privacy when the door is open. Someone, somewhere, had the brilliant realization that because doors open (and also because other people might be in the bathroom with you), they shouldnt be counted on to be the sole or even the main source of privacy.

Which is not to say that i understand the logic of taking it down to prevent vandalism, but if the bathroom was properly designed, then nothing should actually be exposed that shouldnt be.

14. - Top - End - #1334

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Typically, though i suppose not universally, bathrooms are constructed with various interior screenings specifically to retain privacy when the door is open. Someone, somewhere, had the brilliant realization that because doors open (and also because other people might be in the bathroom with you), they shouldnt be counted on to be the sole or even the main source of privacy.

Which is not to say that i understand the logic of taking it down to prevent vandalism, but if the bathroom was properly designed, then nothing should actually be exposed that shouldnt be.
    This was nit the case.

Direct line of sight to the urinals, which did not have screens or dividers.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

My older brother got his first vaccination. I'm so proud of him.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

16. - Top - End - #1336

Thing from Elementary school.

In the third or fourth grade(the rooms were right next to each other) someone came into the school in the middle of the night and vandalized the boy's bathroom in the part of the hallway our class was in.

so the school removed the door from the boy's bathroom, figuring that that would stop further vandalism.

While there was no further vandalism, the vandals to my knowledge were never caught and the door was not reinstalled during my time there.

At the time I didn't think anything of it... But 1: The removed door meant that anyone in the hallway had a clear line of sight to the urinals, which... Kind of a big deal and 2: I don't understand what they were... The vandalism happened out of school hours. There was no evidence whatsoever that it was even a student so in hindsight, what purpose did violating the privacy of the boys' in that school during school hours serve?

Does anybody else have a story like that? A "okay, how does A solve/justify the problems that come from B?" story?
    I really hate hearing stories of that happening. If it ever happens to any school my kid ever goes to, I plan on raising holy hell with the school administration. That's unacceptable. I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not sure if anyone might have some insights on this question, but figured I'd pose it anyway (and do it here because it's been damn near two years since I posted in a random banter thread)...

Lately I've taken up kind of an informal research project that is very much not in my profession/field-- something I have no intention of ever publishing, but something I have a strong interest in and enjoy learning and writing about. In the course of that research I came across a series of lectures from a prominent professor (now retired) in this field of study that has been super helpful and interesting to me, but I have some questions either directly related to the content of the lectures or that haven't been addressed in them. How out of bounds or weird is it to email that professor and ask if they're willing to talk with me about the subject matter? I have a coworker who has done this and had fruitful conversations come out of it, but that was with academics/professors whose field of expertise related directly to what we were doing professionally.

If anyone here either is a professor or has tried doing this, I'd appreciate any insights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

18. - Top - End - #1338

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Not sure if anyone might have some insights on this question, but figured I'd pose it anyway (and do it here because it's been damn near two years since I posted in a random banter thread)...

Lately I've taken up kind of an informal research project that is very much not in my profession/field-- something I have no intention of ever publishing, but something I have a strong interest in and enjoy learning and writing about. In the course of that research I came across a series of lectures from a prominent professor (now retired) in this field of study that has been super helpful and interesting to me, but I have some questions either directly related to the content of the lectures or that haven't been addressed in them. How out of bounds or weird is it to email that professor and ask if they're willing to talk with me about the subject matter? I have a coworker who has done this and had fruitful conversations come out of it, but that was with academics/professors whose field of expertise related directly to what we were doing professionally.

If anyone here either is a professor or has tried doing this, I'd appreciate any insights.
    My dad was a professor who also ran a publishing company that published postgraduate level textbooks. Solely based on knowing him and being very vaguely involved in his work, I would say that it's almost certainly fine to ask. Results may vary, but I would be surprised if they had any issue (protocol or other) with the request itself.

Also, in my experience, professors love talking about their work to interested parties.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Titan in the Playground

Also, in my experience, professors love talking about their work to interested parties.
    Doctors as well, you just don't get to that level of academia without the person to talk about your field for teen straight hours (and other things, my university GM once went on for fifteen minutes about the dwarven public transportation system before asking why we hadn't interrupted).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Anonymouswizard, do you find the implications of this image accurate?
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Spoiler: Anonymouswizard, do you find the implications of this image accurate?
    Show
    If only I'd turned it off for the first half of the post

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

22. - Top - End - #1342

Out of curiosity, for the participants in this thread who have rejected eternal youth/immortality...

What would it take to make such a thing "worth it" to you?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Firbolg in the Playground

Out of curiosity, for the participants in this thread who have rejected eternal youth/immortality...

As far as I'm concerned, life's long enough (and longer than I'd like) as it is. Like I said, for me, illness and pain and growing old are part of the deal. I literally can't think of anything that would make it work for me. I just don't need it and I just don't want it.
    Face it, Bookmark: not everyone has transhumanist (or transfloralist, as the cas may be) fantasies.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Titan in the Playground

The ability to opt out when I decide to.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Face it, Bookmark: not everyone has transhumanist (or transfloralist, as the cas may be) fantasies.
    Yeah, pretty much this.

Now I think I'm a bit closer to Rater than Missy people in this, but I think I'd still want the option to decay and die when I'm ready. Which might be in my 80s, might be in my 800s. I just don't know.

My issue is not with increased lifespan or healthspan, but with eternity. Sadly the universe we live in is anti-War hammer, eventually Charis will lose and unending perfect order will begin (due to everything being in it's lowest energy state). I'll take a punt at an afterlife over eternal boredom.

Show

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Titan in the Playground

Today in sentences I never expected to read/hear in my life:
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Sadly the universe we live in is anti-War hammer
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-09-16 at 08:21 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

27. - Top - End - #1347

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    The ability to opt out when I decide to.
    This is an argument I never get.

For one, if you're talking immortality then being able to die means you're not talking immortality.

For two, people can do that now but it's heavily frowned on in most circumstances. If killing yourself becuase you're bored of living is unacceptable at 28, why would it be okay at 2800?
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-09-16 at 08:32 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #1348

This is an argument I never get.

For one, if you're talking immortality then being able to die means you're not talking immortality.

For two, people can do that now but it's heavily frowned on in most circumstances.
    For one, that's why people don't take a lot of your deals.

For two, the Right to Die movement has growing acceptance and is significantly different from how suicide is generally perceived.

29. - Top - End - #1349

For one, that's why people don't take a lot of your deals.

For two, the Right to Die movement has growing acceptance and is significantly different from how suicide is generally perceived.
    That's great, except the right to die movement is about voluntary euthanasia of people who are terminally ill or suffering severe conditions that destroy their quality of life with no hope for recovery.

People wanting to opt-out of immortality are usually talking about sadness at outliving their friends or boredom from seeing everything. Suicidal ideation motivated by depression or boredom is usually considered a sign of mental illness.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Under normal circumstances yes, but virtual immortality is something that does not exist today, so we don’t really have a baseline for what that would do to a person and how an otherwise mentally healthy individual would react to it. People asking for a way out so to speak is basically hedging against the negative consequences of living forever.

Especially given that with the eventual heat death of the universe and all, one could reasonably think that dying is a better option then, I don’t know, floating for all eternity in an empty void.
    Last edited by Beeftank; 2021-09-16 at 08:41 AM.