New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1495
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Rater, you're just definitionally wrong here. As in your definition of immortality is wrong. If something I'd keeping you alive when you would otherwise die, then you're immortal, assuming it applies to all causes of death and lasts forever.

You're adding a bunch of terms and conditions to it that aren't present in the actual meaning of the word.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

He’s getting too caught up in what circumstances would “realistically” allow someone to be immortal while ignoring the very concept of immortality is unrealistic. Yeah, getting stabbed in the chest and having it heal up would still cause wear and tear because in the real world that’s how healing works, but in the real world people aren’t invulnerable either so I don’t understand what the hang up is.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's also funny how you keep applying the criteria of nature, hard science and the like when assessing notions of immortality that do not conform to your unreasonably narrow definition of the term. "You are perfectly impervious to black holes" is neither more natural, nor more scientifically plausible than "black holes don't kill you; you live on as an elongated warp in spacetime that is in constant pain." Same goes for "your biological functions need no fuel" and "you don't need intact organs to live."

Edit: Curses! Beeftank was faster than me!
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-09-16 at 02:40 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Titan in the Playground

What's a Timeless Child? I thought regeneration was stolen from the Great Vampires? Also something something Guardians are IIRC immortal.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    ...If you are immune to the sword through your chest that causes you to bleed to death, the bullet that destroys your brain and instantly kills you, and the spear tipped with feces that kills you a week later from infection, you are logically also immune to paper cuts.
    You're not immune to those, though. It's just that bleeding out doesn't kill you. Your heart keeps pumping anyway. Your bones keep making blood. It's just that your lungs don't get enough to pull enough oxygen to make you breathe easily. The bullet in your brain just puts you in a coma or severely impairs your cognitive abilities. The spear tipped with feces gives you an infection that makes you feel like death itself but you never succumb to it.

Immortality is not invincibility. Immortality is magically not dying. It's not magically not getting hurt.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You're not immune to those, though. It's just that bleeding out doesn't kill you. Your heart keeps pumping anyway. Your bones keep making blood. It's just that your lungs don't get enough to pull enough oxygen to make you breathe easily. The bullet in your brain just puts you in a coma or severely impairs your cognitive abilities. The spear tipped with feces gives you an infection that makes you feel like death itself but you never succumb to it.

Immortality is not invincibility. Immortality is magically not dying. It's not magically not getting hurt.
    Wait, are we discussing invulnerability (cannot be haunted) or Invincibility (cannot be defeated)? Big difference there.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Titan in the Playground

Not to derail the conversation, but we're getting pretty close to the next thread.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Not to derail the conversation, but we're getting pretty close to the next thread.
    I think we lost the thread pages ago.

Show

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Titan in the Playground

It's implied that Jack will eventually become the Face of Boe(spelling?), and then ultimately die of old age. Eventually. Though double-checking it seems he died sacrificing himself instead.

Thus, if those implications are true, then no, he is not immortal.

Even if that's not true, it is explicitly noted that h's still getting aging, just at a much slower rate than other people. Thus, his ability to regenerate from injuries and revive himself upon death is imperfect as he's still accumulating wear and tear over time, it's just, less of it is sticking.
    Okay, but if one were to remove the ageing part, would you consider that immortality?

As I understand it, the only being in the franchise that is truly immortal is the Timeless Child
    There's the Guardians, The Eternals (assuming Light didn't die, it's a weird episode), the Chronovores, The Great Intelligence (who did die but by scattering himself throughout the doctor's timeline into an absurd number of reincarnations) and I am probably forgetting a few other eldritch abominations. Oh and Rassilon also can regenerate an infinite number of times (and could still turn fools to stone* while being "dead" with a nod).

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Edit: Curses! Beeftank was faster than me!
    I mean, you are a plant and he has a horse.

*Which is another case of "immortality sucks" these four are forever trapped into being statues and apparently sill conscious and able to move their eyes.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I mean, you are a plant and he has a horse.

But hey, at least that damn herbivore is moving away from me!

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Resource scarcity is a myth: As technology improves, our ability to produce food, water, clothing, and shelter for the population increases at a rate that outstrips population growth, and technological improvement over a generation tend to be roughly twice the rate of the previous generation, meaning that the gap between resoruces produced and resources needed will keep getting wider. As it is, a good chunk of the food we grow ends up being thrown out.
    Resources are limited. In those cases when there is technically enough to go round, then there are still issues of transportation, and people wanting more than they have, even though they have enough.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Colossus in the Playground

@Fyr: Remove the aging and the inevitable turning into a mortal giant head thing and Jack's power is close enough for government work.
    Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Resources are limited. In those cases when there is technically enough to go round, then there are still issues of transportation, and people wanting more than they have, even though they have enough.
    That's less an issue of inherent scarcity and more an issue of logistics.

So, changing the subject... Turns out that one of my cousin's caretakers has Covid really bad.

And his other caretakers all refuse to get vaccinated, except for one woman.

And almost all of them work with multiple people, so...

You ever have one of those days where you're just kind of pissed off at the world because people are being stupid and putting people you care about at risk and there's nothing you can do about it?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

That's less an issue of inherent scarcity and more an issue of logistics.
    Transportaion is a resource, isn't it? If someone can't have something because there isn't transportation, they can't have it, the same as if it doesn't exist.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Titan in the Playground

You ever have one of those days where you're just kind of pissed off at the world because people are being stupid and putting people you care about at risk and there's nothing you can do about it?
    Every day since March 2020.

15. - Top - End - #1425

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Transportaion is a resource, isn't it? If someone can't have something because there isn't transportation, they can't have it, the same as if it doesn't exist.
    Yes and no. What you're saying is factually true, but in practice, it's less "transportation doesn't exist" and more an issue of "Can we get people to agree to let it be transported?"

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Troll in the Playground

Given that I've just caught up on about two pages of this going back and forth, with no discernable advancement, I feel like it may just be about time to throw in the towel and move on to something else.

Like plans. Anyone have any fun plans coming up? I'd really like to hope that other people are able to do more than just live inside a room and go to work like I do.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

17. - Top - End - #1427

FINISHED IT WITH A DAY TO GO! Granted, there's still the edging and 3,000 lbs of rubber mulch to put down, but the main structure is complete.

Spoiler: BOOYAKASHA
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

My dad was in Louisiana working to fix the downed power infrastructure for the last couple weeks and he finally got back today, so I’m gonna go back to the parents house to visit. So that’s neat.

My brother and I are planning on going to vermont week after Thanksgiving with some friends to snowboard. I’ve been doing that for a few years. It’s fun, totally recommend trying snowboarding or skiing to anyone even remotely interested in it.

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Like plans. Anyone have any fun plans coming up? I'd really like to hope that other people are able to do more than just live inside a room and go to work like I do.
    Let's see....

My mom's coming to visit in a few weeks. She lives on the other side of the country, so I don't get to see her often. Definitely looking forward to that.

Gathering ideas for running a Paranoia one-shot sometime in the next month or two. Our current group is kinda small, though, and I think Paranoia works best with a slightly bigger group (gotta embrace the chaos), so I might go digging for extra players among my extended friend group.

I've got some minis I need to paint, but I need to actually go out and get the colors of paint I need (and more primer).

New M:tG set pre-release event is this weekend, which should be fun. No cards in particular I'm excited for, but my wife is hyped about the new Wrenn planeswalker.
    A few odds and ends.

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Im probably going to be cursing Penn State this weekend, because theres a home football game and i work in retail, and the students are just... the absolute worst.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Troll in the Playground

FINISHED IT WITH A DAY TO GO! Granted, there's still the edging and 3,000 lbs of rubber mulch to put down, but the main structure is complete.

Show

Oh, very nice, man!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Let's see....

My mom's coming to visit in a few weeks. She lives on the other side of the country, so I don't get to see her often. Definitely looking forward to that.

Gathering ideas for running a Paranoia one-shot sometime in the next month or two. Our current group is kinda small, though, and I think Paranoia works best with a slightly bigger group (gotta embrace the chaos), so I might go digging for extra players among my extended friend group.

I've got some minis I need to paint, but I need to actually go out and get the colors of paint I need (and more primer).

New M:tG set pre-release event is this weekend, which should be fun. No cards in particular I'm excited for, but my wife is hyped about the new Wrenn planeswalker.
    Ooh, all of those sound pretty good. Also, clearly you just have an extra character in paranoia that the group controls "together".
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

22. - Top - End - #1432

Oh, very nice, man!!!
    The ground floor has a little kitchen area with a stove that has flame stickers you can turn do it can be on or off, a power setting dial that clicks, and a sink with clicky hot and cold knobs. There's a utensil hangar that holds two frying pansand a spatula, and on the side there's a bar at the big window along with a chalkboard for writing down the menu, or anything else one can write down.

If I weren't a stickler for relative personal privacy on here, I would absolutely be showing y'all my little cutie patootie having a blast in there, cooking food, turning the stove off, putting his dishes up, and washing his hands all before getting the pans right back down and turning the stove back on immediately. Every part of that thing he could play with he did play with as soon as we finished building that part. He's been having a fun three days while daddy, mommy, and friend worked in the rain.

Worth it, though.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, no, I totally get the desire to make sure you keep the privacy. You paint a vivid picture, at least! Glad it's worth it.

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Titan in the Playground

Taking Network+ on Monday.

If it goes well, this is the last time I ever have to take it.

If it doesn't, I'm moving on and not worrying about it until like 2023. I still need it eventually for various things, but there's only so much good beating my head against a brick wall will do.

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Troll in the Playground

If it doesn't, I'm moving on and not worrying about it until like 2023. I still need it eventually for various things, but there's only so much good beating my head against a brick wall will do.
    Fingers crossed! I hope you do well - and I'm sure you will.

26. - Top - End - #1436

Does living in a room alternating between reading, amateur writing, and having detailed fantasies about living in other worlds so as to avoid my crippling existential dread count?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Titan in the Playground

Wishing you luck!

I've got a couple of days off starting tomorrow, either four or just the weekend. I'm not sure what I'll do, I'll definitely call my girlfriends and try to write but I suppose I have to get out of the flat as well.

Show

28. - Top - End - #1438

I've got a little scab or scar or something like that just above my wrist and I don't know where it came from. It's just a tiny little dot. And I keep forgetting it's there because it doesn't hurt or anything and then I notice it out of the corner of my eye and for a brief moment think it's an ant.

And the worst part is the phantom itch doesn't wear off when I remember what it really is, I have to do something else to put it out of mind.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Bugbear in the Playground

Show

That... that's very impressive. AND there's more on the inside!? All by yourself as well? It really is a great playhouse.

The ground floor has a little kitchen area with a stove that has flame stickers you can turn do it can be on or off,
    All it needs now is actual fire!

I kid, please don't put actual fire in there.

Good, good, good. Let's us know how it went when you get the result?

30. - Top - End - #1440

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    That... that's very impressive. AND there's more on the inside!? All by yourself as well? It really is a great playhouse.
    Oh my no. Had a friend helping a few days. Still took most of a week. Though two rain days we spent waiting for rain to end before we figured if we kept waiting we wouldn't get it done in time.

Working on the edging now. Much less strenuous on every other part of my body. Much more strenuous on my forearms. So many stakes to hammer in.....fortunately it's relatively fast work. If I'm very, very lucky, I may be able to get all the rubber mulch down today, but I doubt that'll happen.

Also, last day in Birmingham for the foreseeable future! Tomorrow is nonstop driving all day to a friend's house, then more driving to the hotel Sunday, and check in for training super early Monday morning for my new job!