New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Homemade Leman Russ? Don't you need a permit for tanks?
    I am far too critical of authority to respect such things.

I mean, if it's big deal illegal that's one thing, but ain't no guy in no suit gonna stop me from putting a quarter-inch steel armor, high traction tires, and a bulldowser blade on a retired school bus in case the zombie apocalypse happens and the authorities bungle it.

Granted, converting the bus to run without gasoline is the harder animal. Can you convert a bus to an electric power with solar roofing?
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-07-24 at 02:03 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Granted, converting the bus to run without gasoline is the harder animal. Can you convert a bus to an electric power with solar roofing?
    Technically yes. You just also have to replace the engine with an electric motor, and ideally add a large battery. Ideally solid, you don't want tanks of battery liquid sloshing around while you ram zombie raptors.

In all honesty it would be easier to just build an electric bus.

What I'd do is get one of those hydrogen powered buses. You can get fuel from electricity and water, can get good enough electricity from a bike dynamo (although refuelling might take a while, I haven't run the numbers), and in a pinch it's much easier to explode a hydrogen fuel cell than a battery. You can also set up a solar powered electrolysis station if you really want to.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #123

Technically yes. You just also have to replace the engine with an electric motor, and ideally add a large battery. Ideally solid, you don't want tanks of battery liquid sloshing around while you ram zombie raptors.

In all honesty it would be easier to just build an electric bus.

What I'd do is get one of those hydrogen powered buses. You can get fuel from electricity and water, can get good enough electricity from a bike dynamo (although refuelling might take a while, I haven't run the numbers), and in a pinch it's much easier to explode a hydrogen fuel cell than a battery. You can also set up a solar powered electrolysis station if you really want to.
    Probably, but building a bus from scratch might be more conspicuous that obtaining an old junker and fixing it up.

Yu do have a point about hydrogen power. I keep forgetting that that's a thing because it didn't ake off like everyone said it would.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Yu do have a point about hydrogen power. I keep forgetting that that's a thing because it didn't ake off like everyone said it would.
    Of course it's not taking off. Remember the Hindenburg. We use helium now.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I am far too critical of authority to respect such things.

I mean, if it's big deal illegal that's one thing, but ain't no guy in no suit gonna stop me from....
    I'm pretty sure that stopping you is exactly what they can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Of course it's not taking off. Remember the Hindenburg. We use helium now.
    We used helium then. We just didn't want to give any to the Germans. And frankly, we should still be using hydrogen over helium.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #126

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I'm pretty sure that stopping you is exactly what they can do.
    No, the guy in the suit can't stop you. They can threaten you, and if what you're doing is illegal they can sic the police on you, but the guy in the suit's power is limited to talking and if you're not actually doing anything wrong the worst they can do is force you to come before a judge and have a lawyer explain how the guy in the suit is wasting everyone's time.

And I don't think there's anything particularly illegal about buying an old junker bus and converting it into a mobile emergency shelter that runs on renewable energy. At least no where I live.

This is f course, assuming that you're not part of a HOA.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #127

No, the guy in the suit can't stop you. They can threaten you, and if what you're doing is illegal they can sic the police on you, but the guy in the suit's power is limited to talking and if you're not actually doing anything wrong the worst they can do is force you to come before a judge and have a lawyer explain how the guy in the suit is wasting everyone's time.

And I don't think there's anything particularly illegal about buying an old junker bus and converting it into a mobile emergency shelter that runs on renewable energy. At least no where I live.

This is f course, assuming that you're not part of a HOA.
    I assumed the guy in the suit was a lawyer or judge, in which case they can stop you by means of siccing the police on you. But even in the case of any given person in any give suit, they can likely still stop you themselves.

8. - Top - End - #128

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I assumed the guy in the suit was a lawyer or judge, in which case they can stop you by means of siccing the police on you. But even in the case of any given person in any give suit, they can likely still stop you themselves.
    I was referring to a city clerk or perhaps some inspector coming buy who was tipped of by a nosey neighbor.

The kind of person who asks if you have permits to do things.

And it turns out that there are a lot of situations where you think you'd need a permit but don't actually need one... Though this is circumstnatial rather than general. do nto take anythign I am saying here as legal advice, thuroughly research your own situations before starting any major projects.

To use my hypothetical, as far as I know there's nothing stopping me from buying a retiered bus and converting it as I described, assuming I can aquire all the nessesary parts through legal channels. But doing the same with a mobile home would be illegal even with a permit, unless I first aquired a seperate non-residential property to park the home on and did the conversion and storage there.

The laws around where I live are weird and arbitrary.

In such a case where a permit is not required in order to elgally construct something, the approaite response to someone asking for a permit is to politely inform them that you've done the research and a permit is not needed in this specific case and to contact a lawyer if they keep pressing the issue.

Hence the qualifier "If it's big deal illegal that's one thing."

IE, I'm not talking about situations where if you do not have a proper permit you will either go to jail or pay an assload of money. I'm talking minor things that really aren't major issues.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it finally happened, after eleven years of waiting: I've just watched the first Kaamelott movie in theater.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Well, it finally happened, after eleven years of waiting: I've just watched the first Kaamelott movie in theater.
    Would you post a review in the Media Discussions?
    Myself, I'm preparing to watch The Green Knight when it comes out next week.

11. - Top - End - #131

Update on lemon rice soup: My entire family is kind of baffled that the recipe called for shredded chicken breast.

Soup has a stronger lemon flavor than I'm used to, but is otherwise similar to restaurant quality.

Future cookings might omit the chicken and increase the amount of rice.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #132

Update on lemon rice soup: My entire family is kind of baffled that the recipe called for shredded chicken breast.

Soup has a stronger lemon flavor than I'm used to, but is otherwise similar to restaurant quality.

Future cookings might omit the chicken and increase the amount of rice.
    Seems like it went over well though?

Also; I don't usually do this but I got fan art of Rei, wooo! You can see it here!

13. - Top - End - #133

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Seems like it went over well though?
    Well, we went from four cups of it to having enough to fit into the bottom half of a left over plastic container from a chinese restaurant so I'm assuming everyone else liked it.

Also; I don't usually do this but I got fan art of Rei, wooo! You can see it here!
    Don't feel bad. Someone once painted a scene from one of my fanfics and I was up all night from sheer excitement.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Would you post a review in the Media Discussions?
    I don't think it warrants a thread on this forum. Kaamelott is a very French product that never got any traction in non-French speaking countries*. We'd end up being a couple of French people discussing it in English which, while droll, would be cumbersome.

*Sting is in it, though.
    Forum Wisdom

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, we went from four cups of it to having enough to fit into the bottom half of a left over plastic container from a chinese restaurant so I'm assuming everyone else liked it.
    When you say "left over plastic container" do you mean a "plastic leftovers container" or "one of those tiny containers used for sauces, which happens to be left over"
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    When you say "left over plastic container" do you mean a "plastic leftovers container" or "one of those tiny containers used for sauces, which happens to be left over"
    The chinese restaurant we order from uses cheap but reusable plastic containers for carry out orders of egg drop soup.

Since they are reusable, we hsve and reuse them.

A container that when full holds about four servings of soup is now half full of the soup I made last night.

From a recipe, ttat makes 6-8 servings.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

I have a burning desire to get a modern gaming PC and stick it in an 80s IBM case with a Model M keyboard and 4:3 monitor.

My desires are weird.

Sadly I don't have space in the flat for two computer desks, so can't even do my backup desire of using the IBM case for a 2000s era gaming PC more suited to a 4:3 monitor.

Not that I have an IBM case.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

18. - Top - End - #138

In 2004, Hideo Kojima won G4's "Legend Award" for his work on the Metal Gear series and other games.

The award was presented to him by Stan Lee, who dressed in a Revolver Ocelot cosplay for the occasion.

This is a fact that I think needs to be common knowledge.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

In 2004, Hideo Kojima won G4's "Legend Award" for his work on the Metal Gear series and other games.

The award was presented to him by Stan Lee, who dressed in a Revolver Ocelot cosplay for the occasion.

This is a fact that I think needs to be common knowledge.
    I have no idea what G4 or this award is, so my brain condensed this to 'comics man gave video games man award while in video game outfit'.

Show

20. - Top - End - #140

I have no idea what G4 or this award is, so my brain condensed this to 'comics man gave video games man award while in video game outfit'.
    G4 was a network that did tech and gaming content. Back in 2004, they did an award show for gaming creators.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #141

G4 was a network that did tech and gaming content. Back in 2004, they did an award show for gaming creators.
    None of that means anything to me. I'm the sense that I don't give any weight to such an award, not that I don't understand what is happening, that is. So I would disagree with the mandate of it being to be common knowledge.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Look guys, the important thing here is that Stan Lee cosplayed as Revolver Ocelot. Cosplay is cool now.
    Always has been, really, but you know how it is with normies...
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Look guys, the important thing here is that Stan Lee cosplayed as Revolver Ocelot. Cosplay is cool now.
    Stanley is cool? Stanley who?

Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Stanley who?
    His name is "The Stanley".
    Forum Wisdom

25. - Top - End - #145

Anyway, last night I slept from like 4:40 to like, one in the morning.

And I had the weirdest dream. If I'm remembering it correctly... I'd managed to turn myself into a symbiote dragon, but then Earth got invaded by the Reapers from Mass Effect, and I was able to fight them off by folding myself down to the size of a cat, crawling into Metal Gear style sneaking box, and thinking about them going away really hard.

Also, I think I fell asleep in the dream.

I'm not asking for help, but I think I need help.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Anyway, last night I slept from like 4:40 to like, one in the morning.

And I had the weirdest dream. If I'm remembering it correctly... I'd managed to turn myself into a symbiote dragon, but then Earth got invaded by the Reapers from Mass Effect, and I was able to fight them off by folding myself down to the size of a cat, crawling into Metal Gear style sneaking box, and thinking about them going away really hard.

Also, I think I fell asleep in the dream.

I'm not asking for help, but I think I need help.
    I mean, if you think you need help by all means, get it if you can, but I struggle to see what in this dream you find so worrisome.
    Forum Wisdom

27. - Top - End - #147

I mean, if you think you need help by all means, get it if you can, but I struggle to see what in this dream you find so worrisome.
    1: Comedic exaggeration is a thing.

2: My obsessions are infecting my subconscious mind.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

1: Comedic exaggeration is a thing.

2: My obsessions are infecting my subconscious mind.
    No, that's where they come from.

I mean, you had a dream about the things you feel strongly about, that's entirely normal.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #149

No, that's where they come from.

I mean, you had a dream about the things you feel strongly about, that's entirely normal.
    Again, comedic exaggeration. The bit about needing help was a joke.

Though I will admit that normally when I have dreams that I remember, they're more "normal" dreams like being back in high school all of a sudden.

Or the one where you're picking your teeth and then one snaps cleanly in half.

Or the one where you're flying.

Or the one where you accidentally kill your cat and then when you wake up you're upset until you can physically hold the kitty.

Relatedly, the one where you get woken up by your beloved pet and then you wake up for real and remember you had to put them down a few days... Weeks... Months... Years ago.

That one last one sucks.

You ever have the one where you're beating the crap out of someone who used to pick on you while uplifting, heroic-sounding music plays and a crowd is cheering you on?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Most of my dreams tend to be mundane and recognizable with just the touch of the bizarre. And then one or more people tend to die at the end. Often including me. It's, uh, mildly concerning, but probably nothing.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.