New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

I once had a dream where I was married and I kept trying to get away from my wife because I was afraid she was going to “Midsomar” me. I haven’t seen the movie, so I don’t know what that could have meant, either in dream or out, but I knew it couldn’t be anything good.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Again, comedic exaggeration. The bit about needing help was a joke.
    Or maybe it was your subconscious, asking for help. Who knows?

You ever have the one where you're beating the crap out of someone who used to pick on you while uplifting, heroic-sounding music plays and a crowd is cheering you on?
    Well, no.

A daydream? Yeah. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

At night? Nope. Also, got rid of the whole "revenge fantasy" idea long ago - met the bully few years later and found out their life was so miserable, I actually felt like crap wanting to for making their life even more miserable with my revenge ideas. Got my closure and started to fill my time with things that actually felt good.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeftank View Post
    I once had a dream where I was married and I kept trying to get away from my wife because I was afraid she was going to “Midsomar” me. I haven’t seen the movie, so I don’t know what that could have meant, either in dream or out, but I knew it couldn’t be anything good.
    I once had a dream, where I got really intimate with my best friends' wife. The situation was rather unsettling - I never liked her, never felt any attraction to her, and my friend was there, cheering for me. Woke up sweating, terrified out of my mind.

Funny thing, my dreams seldom get violent. Usually they are just bizarre at best, but most of the time I either do not dream or do not remember anything. I get like one nightmare per one or two years.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I had a dream where I was interrupted in the loo by Jeff Goldblum. So I slammed the door shut, resumed my business, and woke up pissing myself.
    Boy do I have conflicted feelings about that one. On the one hand, peeing in bed lose all it's charm in your thirties. On the other hand, it's retrospectively hilarious.
    Last edited by Cazero; 2021-07-27 at 01:54 AM.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I hate the dreams of being back in school, usually high school (sometimes University) and I'm either missing clothes (or wearing something completely ridiculous), running late, or don't have papers/books that I need. Thankfully, in most of these dreams I realise that I have already finished school and don't need to be there or do any of this anymore... and wake up.

I have on occasion got violent in a dream, trying to kick or punch someone or something that is threatening/dangerous. My dream combat ability is pitiful, but I have woken myself up in the process of kicking or trying to swing my arms around. I've kicked my wife once (waking both of us up), and another time narrowly missed a large window on my side of the bed.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I used to have fairly terrible night terrors as a young man, but more of the "it turns out you are made of puzzle pieces that keep falling off and actually the puzzle pieces are living spiders." Or "the tooth fairy is a horrible monster that hunts people down and rips out their teeth with pliers."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Are you sure you weren't going to be Midsomered?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think that was a horror movie, so it was probably something murdery.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    I had a dream where I was interrupted in the loo by Jeff Goldblum. So I slammed the door shut, resumed my business, and woke up pissing myself.
    Boy do I have conflicted feelings about that one. On the one hand, peeing in bed lose all it's charm in your thirties. On the other hand, it's retrospectively hilarious.
    Damn, I didn't know Jeff Goldblum had those kind of powers. Also, talk about really not respecting someone's boundaries: interrupting them on the toilet and breaking into someone's dream to do so.

8. - Top - End - #158

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmor View Post
    I hate the dreams of being back in school, usually high school (sometimes University) and I'm either missing clothes (or wearing something completely ridiculous), running late, or don't have papers/books that I need. Thankfully, in most of these dreams I realise that I have already finished school and don't need to be there or do any of this anymore... and wake up.
    Oh yes!
    I think these dreams are fairly common, and I think it doesn't speak well for a schooling system when it's so stressful and traumatic that people still get nightmares about it decades later.

Like... I've never once had a nightmare about any job I have ever had. But having to go back to school - that's a reocurring nightmare.
    It's why I'm always confused when people tell me adult life is supposedly harder or more stressful than being a school-age child.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    Oh yes!
    I think these dreams are fairly common, and I think it doesn't speak well for a schooling system when it's so stressful and traumatic that people still get nightmares about it decades later.

Like... I've never once had a nightmare about any job I have ever had. But having to go back to school - that's a reocurring nightmare.
    It's why I'm always confused when people tell me adult life is supposedly harder or more stressful than being a school-age child.
    In my experience, the only difference between school and the real world is that nobody gives a crap how well you do as long as the work gets done and you're allowed to tell bullies to **** off or engage in violence in self-defense.

As opposed to school where someone can, with no provocation, shove you into someone else, that person can shove you back, then you get yelled at for roughhousing by a lunch lady who saw the whole damn thing play out.

You still can't do anything if someone in a position of authority decides to be a jackass without getting in deeper trouble unless someone higher up on the totem pole takes your side, but you can't have everything.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #160

GnomePirate

You still can't do anything if someone in a position of authority decides to be a jackass without getting in deeper trouble unless someone higher up on the totem pole takes your side, but you can't have everything.
    You can walk away.
    Maybe it's my privilige speaking that I think "If my boss is a jackass I'll find another job", but there's always the option to quit. School didn't even offer that option.

Also, jackasses exist plenty, but at least in adult life you're paid to deal with them. In school you had to deal with just as much jackasses and you didn't even get money for it (depending on where you live you might even had paid for it yourself!)

11. - Top - End - #161

MindFlayer

I think the deal with school dreams is that school was important part of most of our lives, so we dream about it. But the part of our minds that make up details isn't that good, so eventually you will notice that you don't have any memories of having been to class recently, so that means you must have been missing class, which isn't good. Also, knowledge of how you are actually dressed (or undressed) for sleep seeps through to your dream, so you realize that you aren't appropriately dressed for school (at least most schools). Again, if you have a full bladder that knowledge seeps in, and you can end up looking for a place for relief.

For "you", read "me". I don't know how other people dream, but I have dreams of college and graduate school from time to time.

12. - Top - End - #162

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    You can walk away.
    Maybe it's my privilige speaking that I think "If my boss is a jackass I'll find another job", but there's always the option to quit. School didn't even offer that option.

Also, jackasses exist plenty, but at least in adult life you're paid to deal with them. In school you had to deal with just as much jackasses and you didn't even get money for it (depending on where you live you might even had paid for it yourself!)
    Surprisingly few people have the luxury of being able to say "tea this job and shove it" and odds are good that any similar job you're eventually gonna run into a similar jackass.

If you don't have a fallback plan your options are to report their ill conduct to someone higher up and hope it doesn't backfire on you or to sit there and take it until you either find a better job or something that gives you power over the jackass.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #163

If only I knew what rat bastard threw the plastic packaging of their takeaway food out on the public lawn, so I could yell at them and report them to the HOA. If only I could find out. If only I could visit some consequences on them. A pox on them and their House.

I've cleaned it up for now. Hopefully I won't have to do that again for a while.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Are you sure you weren't going to be Midsomered?
    Fortunately there's an easy test for this one: Did you, or did you not, hear a theremin in the background?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Nope, no theremin in the background. Maybe she would have just killed me instead of weird culty stuff. What a relief.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Nope, no theremin in the background. Maybe she would have just killed me instead of weird culty stuff. What a relief.
    Other way around, I'm afraid; the use of a theremin, a very clearly sci-fi-sound-y instrument, in the music of the certainly-not-that-genre Midsomer Murders is rather distinctive. Then again, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence....
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

17. - Top - End - #167

A web game I used to play had an entire saga about the origins of Vampires and Werewolves*, attempts at hybridizing them, and attempts to combine their powers with that of dragons.

The game had it's own attendant forum with comments by the writers on the intent behind certain decisions and in-universe lore that didn't make it into the final game but was still considered semi-canon.

The gist of it was that the appeal of being a hybrid was that it didn't nessesarily make you stronger in the short term: a Vampire-Werewolf Hybrid has half the power of a Vampire and Half the power of a Werewolf... But also has half the respective weaknesses. It's also noted that powers and weaknesses combine and overlap: I think I recall a mention that a vampire's weakness to blessed silver overwrote a werewolf's weakness to silver in general.

And with strengths... Well, in this setting werewolf regeneration is sort of a "wolverine" type situation, it doesn't just regrow flesh, it fixes things at a subcellular level, so a powerful enough werewolf will forever be in the prime of their youth—The 'patient zero' of this kind of Lycanthropy, hasn't aged since he was infected over 900 years ago with other werewolves implied to have been infected by him directly also being noted to be about t that old)—through, not every werewolf is su and vampires it seems don't need to consume blood or lifeforce, but doing so seems to slow their aging and consuming in excess of what they need heals their wounds and makes them temporarily stronger, with an implication that truly impressive feeding frenzies or feeding on powerful blood can make the boost permanent.

I'm sure you can see the synergy there.

It's noted that both vampires and werewolves can grow stronger and develop new abilities by training... But for Werewolves, once they max out their "werewolfiness" the only way to get stronger is the way humans do, and if their healing factor doesn't grow strong enough they'll eventually peak and start to degrade as a factor of old age. Vampires, even if they age, are constantly growing stronger because, as necrotic lifeforms, their negatively charged lifeforce grows stronger instead of depleting over time. By tying the vampire powers and werewolf powers together, even though you're only half as strong as you would have been if you were a pure werewolf, over time you'll eventually outstrip any pure werewolf. Eventually.

Throwing dragon blood into the mix powers up other abilities and grants a breath weapon and the ability to slice things apart with dragon wings, but makes you vulnerable to dragon weaknesses. It's also implied that in this specific case, you gain a dragon's ability to passively absorb magic and elemental energy, meaning that you're getting stronger from the passage of time in two ways, but no hybrids of dragon and either vampire or werewolf, or both,are old enough for that to matter.

So, if you're about to properly hybridize into all three, from strong enough sources of the infections... Basically, you are vulnerable to two specific metals but otherwise have none of the "traditional" weaknesses of either vampires or werewolves due to a combination of vampires being a pretty lax on rules in the setting, the specific kind of werewolf involved being actively engineered to have as few drawbacks as possible, and the combination of powers actively negating most of each other's weaknesses.

That sounds like a good way to be, right? Like, sunlight doesn't really seem to be an issue so, like...

Right? That seems like a good alternative to being a full dragon, since you can still assume humanlike form and interact as a person.

*Vampires are a naturally occurring part of the setting and it seems like there's only one kind, but werewolves come in a variety of types, though all but one of them ultimately trace their origins to a society of dragon blooded humanoids using genetic engineering and magic to try and turn captured humans into super-soldiers, with the faction the player has the most experience with being a 'perfected breed' created by a third party after previous experiments escaped quarantine.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Other way around, I'm afraid; the use of a theremin, a very clearly sci-fi-sound-y instrument, in the music of the certainly-not-that-genre Midsomer Murders is rather distinctive. Then again, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence....
    I mean, the secondary check is if any nearby villages have been completely depopulated over the last two decades, and your popularity in Denmark. Neither of which really apply to dreams.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

19. - Top - End - #169

Video's title: What was the meal you hated as a kid?

What I expect: "my parents always boiled the hell out of broccoli" or "mom did not know how to make a good meatloaf." You know, standard stuff.

What I got: "I badly injured my jaw because we ate tough, rubbery moose meat for literally every meal my entire childhood even when we had alternatives and my parents still won't hear a bad thing about moose meat" and "my parents repeatedly forced me to eat food that made me break out in rashes" and "every day at six in the moring my parents would force-feed me a raw egg."

I've got to stop watching these things. I go in expecting humorous anecdotes and I get stories about people who were abused as children but who don't seem to realize they were abused as children.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

What I expect: "my parents always boiled the hell out of broccoli" or "mom did not know how to make a good meatloaf." You know, standard stuff.

What I got: "I badly injured my jaw because we ate tough, rubbery moose meat for literally every meal my entire childhood even when we had alternatives and my parents still won't hear a bad thing about moose meat" and "my parents repeatedly forced me to eat food that made me break out in rashes" and "every day at six in the moring my parents would force-feed me a raw egg."

I've got to stop watching these things. I go in expecting humorous anecdotes and I get stories about people who were abused as children but who don't seem to realize they were abused as children.
    Yeah, I occasionally read or listen to Reddit posts (there are video compilations on youtube) and I like the ones with some level of humor, or vindication on the part of the poster. The ones that are just depressing suck.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

What I got: "I badly injured my jaw because we ate tough, rubbery moose meat for literally every meal my entire childhood even when we had alternatives and my parents still won't hear a bad thing about moose meat" and "my parents repeatedly forced me to eat food that made me break out in rashes" and "every day at six in the moring my parents would force-feed me a raw egg.
    And here I was hoping for some levity with 'every day my mother would feed me a big ole bowl of Sauerkraut for breakfast'. No such luck.

But yeah, that's just legitimately horrible. This sounded like it could have been a friendly 'when I was four I would only eat meat and bread' laugh at ourselves. Which I could have used as I've stopped listening to Reddit comment compilations, I realised that the ones I liked primarily involved laughing at people for their behaviour.

Show

22. - Top - End - #172

I'd take those stories with a grain of salt. Good for entertainment purposes, though.

I've recently taken to listening to creepy pastas myself, often just before going to bed, which is perhaps not the best time for them.

On another note: Apparently at work someone decided to overrule a decision I made earlier and it has resulted in a big problem. I've got this smug 'I told you so' feeling now and have half a mind to raise a big stink over this as an example of what happens when they don't listen to me, but it's probably best if I don't. Hopefully they'll learn from it nonetheless, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
    Last edited by Form; 2021-07-29 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Minor grammatical correction

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    I'd take those stories with a grain of salt. Good for entertainment purposes, though.
    Aye. Stories like "my mom's meatloaf was bad" aren't going to rise to the top on reddit, let alone make it into a YouTube compilation. At least, not unless it's stretched out a bit and your dad beats you with some jumper cables.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-07-29 at 05:25 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Aye. Stories like "my mom's meatloaf was bad" aren't going to rise to the top on reddit, let alone make it into a YouTube compilation. At least, not unless it's stretched out a bit and your dad beats you with some jumper cables.
    There's probably an amount of legit misremembering as well, our brains are weird.

My earliest memory is of climbing into bed in third person view. I'm about 98% certain I came up with it after playing Tomb Raider and convinced young me it was true.

My actual earliest clearish memory is from Nursery. It was either when Father Christmas came to visit or the outing to catch a train and then immediately come back on the same train. I can't actually remember if the latter was in autumn or spring/summer.

Show

25. - Top - End - #175

Creepy stories are something else entirely. Those I still enjoy.

I like those "two-sentence horror stories."

"Your daughter is such a sweet little girl," my second wife said as we enjoyed a dinner of her homemade stew. "Yeah," I agreed, "she's... where is she?"

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

When I was a kid, one time we had some of the neighbors over for dinner, and their youngest was astonished that when my mom made broccoli, it was still green when it was done cooking.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    When I was a kid, one time we had some of the neighbors over for dinner, and their youngest was astonished that when my mom made broccoli, it was still green when it was done cooking.
    That is genuinely horrifying.

My hope is that, beyond all hope, they confused broccoli and cauliflower.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Sounds suspicious, everybody knows that green things are both mouldy and radioactive

It still astonishes me that some people don't consider 'everthing touching the pan since I stirred it half an hour ago is carbon' as food being burnt.

Show

29. - Top - End - #179

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    That is genuinely horrifying.

My hope is that, beyond all hope, they confused broccoli and cauliflower.
    Broccoli turns yellow if you boil or steam it for too long.

Not only will this make the broccoli both smell and taste like a rancid fart, but by the time it's turned yellow only negligible amount of the vitamins and minerals that you eat broccoli to get in the first place remain: Not only is it unpleasant, but something healthy has been turned into empty carbs.

Well, I mean, the fiber is unaffected, but there are better ways to get fiber than overcooked broccoli.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Sounds suspicious, everybody knows that green things are both mouldy and radioactive

It still astonishes me that some people don't consider 'everthing touching the pan since I stirred it half an hour ago is carbon' as food being burnt.
    Food is only burnt if its that way all the way through. If its only the part in contact with the pan, thats just a healthy coating of char. Adds texture.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”