New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Creepy stories are something else entirely. Those I still enjoy.

I like those "two-sentence horror stories."

"Your daughter is such a sweet little girl," my second wife said as we enjoyed a dinner of her homemade stew. "Yeah," I agreed, "she's... where is she?"
    My baby won't stop crying and screaming in the middle of the night. I visit her grave and ask her to stop, but it doesn't help.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-07-29 at 11:37 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #182
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    My baby won't stop crying and screaming in the middle of the night. I visit her grave and ask her to stop, but it doesn't help.
    That one's a classic. Here's one I read a few months ago.

I never thought it was that weird that my family ate roadkill. Then my sister got hit by a car.

And some originals.

It was only after I finished my slice of cake that my aunt turned to my mother and said 'see, I told you allergies were fake.' I began to panic as I felt my body begin to react to the peanuts she'd poisoned me with but he simply replied 'stop being dramatic.'

The fact that my dashcam was inarguable proof that the other man had deliberately jumped in front of my car as I drove downhill should have gotten me acquitted. And yet here I sit in my cell, all appeals denied, waiting for my date with the needle.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

And some originals.

It was only after I finished my slice of cake that my aunt turned to my mother and said 'see, I told you allergies were fake.' I began to panic as I felt my body begin to react to the peanuts she'd poisoned me with but he simply replied 'stop being dramatic.'

The fact that my dashcam was inarguable proof that the other man had deliberately jumped in front of my car as I drove downhill should have gotten me acquitted. And yet here I sit in my cell, all appeals denied, waiting for my date with the needle.
    I'll be honest, neither of these really have the punch the examples do. I'm not entirely sure I get the point of the first one.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

Rater, the point of two-sentence horror is the twist; those ones have no twist.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

So anyway a few minutes ago I went to my doctor to check my vials. So I went to the scale and I weight 214 pounds. Last time it was 214 pounds! I was like wait, what?
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    I'll be honest, neither of these really have the punch the examples do. I'm not entirely sure I get the point of the first one.
    They eat the sister. It's pretty funny, reminds me of a 50s horror movie.

"I heard my Mom calling my down stairs, and then her behind me "don't got down there, I heard it too."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #187

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    People in real life have died or been seriously injured because a friend or relative didn't believe that they were deathly allergic to something, and it's not uncommon for allergy deniers to assume that the start of a bad anaphylactic reaction to be "drama" or "faking."

The second is an innocent man being sentenced to death despite evidence because someone chose to commit suicide by jumping in front of a car. Sometimes in real life, an innocent person gets convicted and faces a harsh sentence even when they have proof of innocence, though this is an exaggerated example.

Not every horror story involves the supernatural or some crazed psycho-killer. Sometimes the best horror stories are the ones that can plausibly happen in real life.

But if you disagree

"I told you I didn't want a baby brother," the little girl said to her parents. "So I gave him back to the stork."

I searched under the bed for the source of the strange noise and found a hideous creature hiding there. "Shoosh," it said, "don't let it know I'm here."

I had to quit my job at the clothing store. After five consecutive night shifts, I could have sworn the mannequins were crying.

"What's the weirdest thing I've run into in my job?" the county coroner replied. "Well, last night I had to perform an autopsy on a body that looked an awful lot like... You."

"Good news," the doctor said as he and the nurse looked through my chart, "we found a donor heart." "But, doctor," I replied, "my heart is fine."

Last night I dreamt I was eating a giant marshmallow. When I woke up, my husband was gone.

My mother is a terrible cook. I keep finding teeth in her meatloaf.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    They eat the sister. It's pretty funny, reminds me of a 50s horror movie.

"I heard my Mom calling my down stairs, and then her behind me "don't got down there, I heard it too."
    I meant the allergy one.

People in real life have died or been seriously injured because a friend or relative didn't believe that they were deathly allergic to something, and it's not uncommon for allergy deniers to assume that the start of a bad anaphylactic reaction to be "drama" or "faking."

The second is an innocent man being sentenced to death despite evidence because someone chose to commit suicide by jumping in front of a car. Sometimes in real life, an innocent person gets convicted and faces a harsh sentence even when they have proof of innocence, though this is an exaggerated example.

Not every horror story involves the supernatural or some crazed psycho-killer. Sometimes the best horror stories are the ones that can plausibly happen in real life.
    I'm aware. Hell, I just watched a reddit video about people not believing or disregarding allergies. I'm not saying they have to involve the supernatural or psycho killers, but neither of those stories have the twist that seems to be part of the structure of the two sentence horror story.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah; I would say that those are scary situations, but not horror stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, a horror story needs not only a scary situation but also a ramp up in tension and suspense. Ideally leaving just enough to the reader/watcher's imagination for them to fill in the details.

Also turns out that people cutting themselves is a great way to make me uncomfortable. Thanks The Thing.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #191

BlackDragon

There's an entire subreddit devoted to two sentence horror stories:

http://www.reddit.com/r/twosentencehorror

(Obviously, potentially NSFW, click at your own risk etc)

Or, if that's a bit scary, try this one instead:

http://www.reddit.com/r/illegallysmolcats

12. - Top - End - #192

Also, the best ones are pithy. No abundance of clauses, no independent clauses masked by dialogue, just elegant in their simplicity. For example, one of the most famous examples is also one of the shortest (possible the shortest): For sale, baby shoes. Never worn.

Or, the last man in the world sat in a room. There was a knock at the door.

13. - Top - End - #193

You ever have one of those days where you wake up and you feel like you should be doing something but you don't want to do anything?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

You ever have one of those days where you wake up and you feel like you should be doing something but you don't want to do anything?
    Only every day starting with letter T.
    Tuesday.
    Thursday.
    Tomorrow.
    Today.

Why?

Just joking. I always want do do something, but usually not what I need/have to do (e.g. go to work, buy groceries, take care of my daughter's pet snail).
    Last edited by Lacco; 2021-07-30 at 07:11 AM.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

15. - Top - End - #195

BlackDragon

Recently, all the time, but I think that's the chemo talking...

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Also, the best ones are pithy. No abundance of clauses, no independent clauses masked by dialogue, just elegant in their simplicity. For example, one of the most famous examples is also one of the shortest (possible the shortest): For sale, baby shoes. Never worn.
    So they accidentally bought one size too small. Not seeing how this is a horror story.

Or, the last man in the world sat in a room. There was a knock at the door.
    Yeah, that's a cool hook for the opening of a story. Shame the writer never actually wrote the story itself.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

17. - Top - End - #197

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    So they accidentally bought one size too small. Not seeing how this is a horror story.
    Having had a baby, I can say with a fair amount of certainty that unless the were expecting a premie, it's pretty hard to get newborn stuff in a size too small.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Having had a baby, I can say with a fair amount of certainty that unless the were expecting a premie, it's pretty hard to get newborn stuff in a size too small.
    Why are we presuming a newborn? Could be five months old, I hear they grow pretty fast.

My point is, the horror/sadness of the 'story' is based on information that we aren't given. There are multiple reasons that somebody might be advertising unworn baby shoes, maybe they're starting a company selling designer baby clothes and don't have the money for competent advertisers. But we're supposed to jump to a specific explanation, which I don't.

Show

19. - Top - End - #199

Why are we presuming a newborn? Could be five months old, I hear they grow pretty fast.

My point is, the horror/sadness of the 'story' is based on information that we aren't given. There are multiple reasons that somebody might be advertising unworn baby shoes, maybe they're starting a company selling designer baby clothes and don't have the money for competent advertisers. But we're supposed to jump to a specific explanation, which I don't.
    The implication that the baby died is pretty clear, IMO. Like, sure, it could be a makeshift company doing a very poorly thought out advertisement, but I'd imagine most people would likely to go the more sombre theory right off the bat.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The implication that the baby died is pretty clear, IMO. Like, sure, it could be a makeshift company doing a very poorly thought out advertisement, but I'd imagine most people would likely to go the more sombre theory right off the bat.
    I think without the context of "this is supposed to be really gallows humor", i probably wouldnt assume anything unpleasant about that. Some people just get shoes they didnt end up using, you know?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

21. - Top - End - #201

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I think without the context of "this is supposed to be really gallows humor", i probably wouldnt assume anything unpleasant about that. Some people just get shoes they didnt end up using, you know?
    I'm not going to die on this hill about what it likely means to any given person. But for me, I immediately got the intent, is all I'm saying.

Also,i wouldn't classify it as gallows humor.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Or maybe the creator of the advert bought some baby shoes delivered by mail, but between the order and the arrival their pregnant partner broke up with them and has used legal means to ensure the author can never see the baby.

Sure it's a bit out there, but the text doesn't support any specific interpretation. We know that 1) there are baby shoes, 3) the owner has no use for them, and 3) they have never been worn. It's just as logical to assume that one parent bought shoes that another didn't like.

Like, at least 'The last (Hu)man on earth sat in a room. There was a knock on the door.' provides context. There aren't other humans about, and we don't usually expect nonhumans to knock. It could use more but it's at least some context.

Show

23. - Top - End - #203

I saw the baby shoes one in a college level English class.

It wasn't classified as a horror story though.

The way the lesson framed it, the intent was to tell a story without telling a story, using only six words.

For example: "I thought he was my friend."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I saw the baby shoes one in a college level English class.

It wasn't classified as a horror story though.

The way the lesson framed it, the intent was to tell a story without telling a story, using only six words.

For example: "I thought he was my friend."
    "I didn't know it was flammable."

This is fun.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Or maybe the creator of the advert bought some baby shoes delivered by mail, but between the order and the arrival their pregnant partner broke up with them and has used legal means to ensure the author can never see the baby.

Sure it's a bit out there, but the text doesn't support any specific interpretation. We know that 1) there are baby shoes, 3) the owner has no use for them, and 3) they have never been worn. It's just as logical to assume that one parent bought shoes that another didn't like.

Like, at least 'The last (Hu)man on earth sat in a room. There was a knock on the door.' provides context. There aren't other humans about, and we don't usually expect nonhumans to knock. It could use more but it's at least some context.
    Ernest Hemmingway supposedly won a fair amount of money off the shoe story. It was based on a news article about the subject that was being run at the time, about how there are seemingly innocuous advertisements that are lenses into the life of strangers.

As for brevity increasing the probability of misinformation, that is hardly news. There is a whole philosophical school about how statements become less information and more assumption as they get shorter. Like "how are you" is often just a greeting and would be an imposition if they started telling you anything but a canned " fine thanks."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

26. - Top - End - #206

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    As for brevity increasing the probability of misinformation, that is hardly news. There is a whole philosophical school about how statements become less information and more assumption as they get shorter. Like "how are you" is often just a greeting and would be an imposition if they started telling you anything but a canned " fine thanks."
    There's a brief tangent early on in The Hobbit about the various meanings that the greating "good morning" can have.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    "I didn't know it was flammable."

This is fun.
    Hungry. Starving. Empty. HUNGRY. Kids! Sated.

Yup. Six words.

We could make it into message game.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, but you're kind of ignoring the context of the 2 line horror stories conversation in this thread in which these particular lines were mentioned. That is context too and it implies a more depressing interpretation. I think I heard it before as well and widespread cultural familiarity would count too as relevant context.

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    Hungry. Starving. Empty. HUNGRY. Kids! Sated.

Yup. Six words.

We could make it into message game.
    I take this to mean you devoured your children. I suppose we wouldn't be the only species to do so.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Suddenly her knickers hit the floor.

Thought I'd try something a little more upbeat.

Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

I play Pathfinder with friends tomorrow.