New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default [Mutants and Masterminds 3rd] Damage And Degrees Of Failure Question

Damage on the SRD

If a foe fails their damage save by two degrees, do they suffer -2 to future saves and are Dazed?
    Or do they suffer only a -1 and are Dazed?

The example seems to indicate it's only cumulative across multiple saves, not multiple degrees of failure, but I'm not totally sure. Anyone know?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Mutants and Masterminds 3rd] Damage And Degrees Of Failure Question

From the 3e corebook:
    Graded Checks
    Much of the time a check is a simple pass-fail, it either succeeds, or it does not. In other cases, it matters just how well the check succeeded, or how badly it failed. This gradation of results is called a graded check and involves a degree of success or failure. Just rolling a success or failure counts as one degree. Every five full points a check result is over or under the difficulty class adds a degree. Fractions are ignored when determining degrees...

....Specific types of graded checks—notably skill and resistance checks—give specific results for degrees of success and failure in their descriptions.
    Attack is a graded check, so yes degrees of failure matter.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [Mutants and Masterminds 3rd] Damage And Degrees Of Failure Question

Right, I know.
    But if you have two degrees of failure on damage, is it -2 and Dazed, or -1 and Dazed?

Is the cumulative based on degrees or saves?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Right, I know.
    But if you have two degrees of failure on damage, is it -2 and Dazed, or -1 and Dazed?

Is the cumulative based on degrees or saves?
    It is -2 and Dazed, or what would be the point of it being a graded check? the entire point of a graded check is that if you fail or succeed higher or lower that there is differing outcomes based on how well you roll, not whether you just pass or fail.

if it was just a pass/fail thing, then it wouldn't be a graded check. its a graded check therefore yes, it is -2 and Dazed, like every other graded check.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Damage on the SRD

If a foe fails their damage save by two degrees, do they suffer -2 to future saves and are Dazed?
    Or do they suffer only a -1 and are Dazed?

The example seems to indicate it's only cumulative across multiple saves, not multiple degrees of failure, but I'm not totally sure. Anyone know?
    My understanding (and the reading I've seen from pretty much everyone else) is that you only suffer the effects listed under the relevant degree. So if you fail by two degrees, you suffer -1 and are Dazed.

Damage is one of the only cases where this would be unclear, as many other graded checks wouldn't even make sense to apply both degrees to. Balancing using the Acrobatics skill as a good example of this, failing by one degree just means you don't move, while failing by two degrees means you fall. You can hardly stay put AND fall, right?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

We always played -1 and dazed.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Failing a resistance check against damage is all of the listed effects. So failing by two degrees means the character gets -1 and Dazed.