New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Order 66 & Bariss Offee

Was there ever any canon resolution for Bariss Offee? I just watched “The Wrong Jedi” again, and to my knowledge she’s not mentioned in TCW after that episode.

There seem to be any number of theories and supposed outcomes online, but I don’t get a sense that any of them are strictly canon. Do we know her fate?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Order 66 & Bariss Offee

Rumor has it that the live action Ahsoka show will involve Bariss, so if thats the case i assume the answers will be there.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I wondered if that might be the case. As long as she doesn't show up in Bad Batch.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Inquisitor seems like the most likely outcome: already-disillusioned Jedi in Republic custody during the transition from Republic to Empire? Easy.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

The most likely outcome logically is 'executed in her cell' but that would involve turning down an opportunity for a cameo.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dargaron View Post
    Inquisitor seems like the most likely outcome: already-disillusioned Jedi in Republic custody during the transition from Republic to Empire? Easy.
    Some people suspect 7th Sister was actually Bariss based of the fact they were the same species. But given that 7th Sister and Ahoska actually SPOKE to one another. You think they'd have recognized each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    The most likely outcome logically is 'executed in her cell' but that would involve turning down an opportunity for a cameo.
    Why? she's in a prison, obviously secure as she hasn't escaped yet. Would have no knowledge the politics and events of the outside world. And she had already fallen towards the dark side in her disillusionment towards the dark side. Dargaron in correct that she'd be a perfect candidate for the Inquisitors. Also she has a long history with Ahsoka, and would have personal reasons for which to come after her.

So the most logical outcome is further corruption at the hands of the Emperor and Vader. And being trained as an Inquisitor. And even ifshe wasn't turned into an Inquisitor she has a personal connection to Ahsoka(and is thus bait) a Jedi whose body was never found and thus could still be alive.
    Shot in prison is the easy answer not the logical one.

Her reappearance in the Ahoka series is not going to be a cameo. I'd wager she's Thrawn's enforcer during the Ahsoka series. As he's going to want someone to counter the lightsaber wielding force user coming for him
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Bariss
    Show

Darksider doesn't mean 'friendly to Palpatine' What Bariss hates most is the idea of the Jedi being a tool of the government. Being an Inquisitor or Thrawn's right hand is exactly what she would least want to do.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard
    Being an Inquisitor or Thrawn's right hand is exactly what she would least want to do.
    Fully agreed. Just because she hates what the Jedi have become, doesn't mean she's willing to throw in with the Empire.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Fully agreed. Just because she hates what the Jedi have become, doesn't mean she's willing to throw in with the Empire.
    While that's true, Palpatine could be extremely persuasive when he wanted to be, and Bariss was already pretty far into the thrall of the dark side prior to her capture. If he could turn the Grand Inquisitor, a former Temple Guard, I think his ability to turn Bariss is fairly likely.

Note that Dave Filoni is on record as saying he "had plans" for Bariss and deliberately removed her death scene from 'The Wrong Jedi' specifically for this purpose, so she's likely to play a big role in something going forward. This is further supported in that Filoni appears to have successfully staked his claim on Bariss and she has not appeared in any other Disney canon EU material to this point.

Some people suspect 7th Sister was actually Bariss based of the fact they were the same species. But given that 7th Sister and Ahoska actually SPOKE to one another. You think they'd have recognized each other.
    Seventh Sister and Bariss have significant differences in physical features if you compare their animated character models - their nose, mouth, and eyes all have different shapes. The characters were also voiced by different actresses. It's possible that Filoni strongly considered using Bariss as Seventh Sister initially, but upon realizing that the role would be fairly modest invented a new, similarly looking character instead.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

'Fallen to the dark side' is not the same thing as 'willing to work for Palpatine.'

Alas, just because it makes no sense doesn't mean that Dave Filoni won't do it.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

The funny thing about falling to the Dark Side is that once you are there it suddenly becomes a lot easier to start justifying anything and everything, especially going against the things you still pretend to believe in. I could easily see her as having been involved with the Empire, if only because it would be either that or a Darth Vader to the face.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

That's just saying 'The Darkside means I don't have to write character motivations' though.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

'Fallen to the dark side' is not the same thing as 'willing to work for Palpatine.'

Alas, just because it makes no sense doesn't mean that Dave Filoni won't do it.
    Hating Palpatine just makes her more vulnerable.

Hating your master with every fiber of your being and wishing him dead is not a considered a bug among the Sith its a feature, a driving force to make oneself powerful enough so they can finally bisect that arrogant SOB whose made your life hell. She'd work with him to acquire power through the darkside. Power enough to she can eventually kill him.
    That's the motivation, to get enough power so that she can kill him.

And Thrawn himself was not a fan of Palpatine either. But he believed that by putting himself into the right position he could have a hand in his eventual replacement. Had he known the Emperor had plans to live forever and cause the Empire to self-destruct if he ever died. He likely would have done things differently. Why would Bariss work with him? Because Ahsoka is working against him. And with the Jedi, Vader and the Emperor gone the only one left for her to try and get revenge on is Ahsoka.
    Last edited by Lord Vukodlak; 2021-07-22 at 05:43 PM.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

That's the Sith Master-Apprentice relationship. Bariss isn't Palpatine's apprentice, she's a fly buzzing around his head. It might be possible for him to train the fly to attack his enemies if he really wanted to, but that would involve more effort than it's worth and it would be easier and make more sense just to swat her.

Bariss... doesn't have a grudge against Ahsoka, though?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

Her attempt to frame Ahsoka ended with her own arrest. There's room for a grudge there - blaming Ahsoka despite the fact that all "wronging" has gone the other way.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

That's just saying 'The Darkside means I don't have to write character motivations' though.
    Kind of yea. A defining trait of turning to the darkside is that your desire for power is out striping your morals, or in some cases your motivations become a missing the forest for the trees issue and you start discarding your morals for the power to achieve whatever twisted version of those morals you have left is. Turns out huffing pure evil better force powers tends not to be so great for the mind.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

I never liked the name "Bariss Offee". I feel like the conversation between Lucas and Filoni went like this:

Filoni "What do you think of our design for the new Padawan?"

Lucas "She reminds me of this barista that serves me coffee at Starbucks. Except that barista has lots of freckles so give her freckles."

Filoni "Done. How about a name? We could base the name on the barista like we did with you and your daughters.

Lucas "What was her name? Susan? Meghan? Denise? I can't remember."

Filoni "How about Bariss Offee? Get it?"

Lucas "Yeah. But she screwed up my order last time. So lets have the character turn to the dark side eventually."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Didn't Luminara Unduli make a cameo as a corpse in a cell, though?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The Dark Side is the same force that turned Anakin from wanting power to save his wife to personally strangling his wife.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

If she becomes an Inquisitor or "just" another not quite sith take into account how much of "Bariss" will still be there.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
    I never liked the name "Bariss Offee". I feel like the conversation between Lucas and Filoni went like this:
    Neither Lucas nor Filoni were responsible for Barriss Offee's name. The character was introduced and named in The Approaching Storm, a novel by Alan Dean Foster released prior to Offee's appearance in Attack of the Clones, making her one of several Jedi characters who were elevated from the expanded universe into movie canon by that film (Aayla Secura is the other famous one).
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

22. - Top - End - #22

Wasn't it a case of Alan Dean Foster getting previews from AOTC, some months prior to its actual release, and writing in the characters Barriss and Luminara based on the previews?

It was published in January of 2002, AOTC was released in May 2002.

The presence of a Luminara photo on the cover, would fit with the idea that some material was available to authors before the actual release.

23. - Top - End - #23

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Wasn't it a case of Alan Dean Foster getting previews from AOTC, some months prior to its actual release, and writing in the characters Barriss and Luminara based on the previews?

It was published in January of 2002, AOTC was released in May 2002.

The presence of a Luminara photo on the cover, would fit with the idea that some material was available to authors before the actual release.
    According to wikipedia, the AOTC script was completed in June of 2000 and principal photography was completed by September of 2000. So this book was likely part of the movie marketing run up prior to the film's release to drum up some excitement among fans. Kind of like how RA Salvatore's novelization of the movie (published in April 2002 ) doesn't mean he had anything to do with developing the characters or plot of the movie.

24. - Top - End - #24

Which would make it plausible that Lucas was responsible for Barriss & Luminara's names after all.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by hamishspence
    Which would make it plausible that Lucas was responsible for Barriss & Luminara's names after all.
    Almost certainly, especially since he’s well-known for recycling names that he came up with long ago, e.g. padawan, Bendu, etc.

Also, I’ve read almost everything that Alan Dean Foster wrote, and “Barriss Offee” sounds very little like a Foster name, but exactly like something George Lucas would come up with.

Originally Posted by Trafalgar
    So this book was likely part of the movie marketing run up prior to the film's release to drum up some excitement among fans.
    Indeed. Note also this interview with Nalini Krishan, who played Barriss in AOTC, and who notes that Approaching Storm didn’t come out until after she had finished filming.

I’ve read Approaching Storm, and let’s just say that it was likely written rather fast, so almost certainly the shooting script predated the novel.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post

Filoni "What do you think of our design for the new Padawan?"

Lucas "She reminds me of this barista that serves me coffee at Starbucks. Except that barista has lots of freckles so give her freckles."

Filoni "Done. How about a name? We could base the name on the barista like we did with you and your daughters.

Lucas "What was her name? Susan? Meghan? Denise? I can't remember."

Filoni "How about Bariss Offee? Get it?"

Lucas "Yeah. But she screwed up my order last time. So lets have the character turn to the dark side eventually."
    Needs more discussion of what to call a male barista.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Is that character even named in the script? She has no dialogue.

28. - Top - End - #28

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Take it up with Starbucks. They call all their coffee slingers baristas regardless of identity.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Barista its a gender neutral word.

30. - Top - End - #30

GnomePirate

Is that character even named in the script? She has no dialogue.
    It has been a Lucasfilm thing for a long long time to give all characters names even if they have no dialogue. That way, it's easier to sell them as toys.