New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Order 66 & Bariss Offee

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
    It has been a Lucasfilm thing for a long long time to give all characters names even if they have no dialogue. That way, it's easier to sell them as toys.
    Right, which means they have designed and named them long before the film is finished, so the toys are ready to go simultaneous with the release- at least during the prequel era.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Thrudd
    Right, which means they have designed and named them long before the film is finished, so the toys are ready to go simultaneous with the release- at least during the prequel era.
    Not just for the prequels. Boba Fett toys were in stores before Empire came out.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Possibly they're named by the marketing people or toymakers, then? Seems unlikely that George does all of that hiimself.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard
    Possibly they're named by the marketing people or toymakers, then? Seems unlikely that George does all of that hiimself.
    I doubt it. There may be exceptions, but I’m pretty sure that Lucas and the concept artists come up with most of the names.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Not just for the prequels. Boba Fett toys were in stores before Empire came out.
    Well Empire Strikes Back wasn't his first appearance. Boba Fett's first appearance was in the Star Wars Holiday Special.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Needs more discussion of what to call a male barista.
    Kit Baristo. /serious nod
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Kit Baristo. /serious nod
    I'm stealing this name the next time I run a Star Wars game
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

I doubt it. There may be exceptions, but I’m pretty sure that Lucas and the concept artists come up with most of the names.
    Is there a source for this? I'm very wary of SW fans going 'George is responsible for this', which many fans apply to anything they don't like.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

I'm very wary of SW fans going 'George is responsible for this', which many fans apply to anything they don't like.
    Not sure why that sentiment is applied to my quote, since I never said I didn’t like the name.

And no specific source, just my sense based on reading a variety of making-of books. J.W. Rinzler’s books are excellent resources, and the “Art of” books cover a lot of ground as well.

On names in particular, Rinzler's book on Star Wars quotes the second draft script, from Jan. 1975, which includes names like Bendu and Utapau, which didn't make it into the original trilogy but were recycled in later movies and series decades later. So I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas had come up with Barriss Offee's name at some point early on, and re-used it when working on AOTC.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not particularly aimed at you, just a reflex now because the SW fandom does it so often that whenever someone says 'X is responsible for this part of SW' I want to see receipts.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    'Fallen to the dark side' is not the same thing as 'willing to work for Palpatine.'

Alas, just because it makes no sense doesn't mean that Dave Filoni won't do it.
    Agree 100% with both statements here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    And we'll after the Star Wars Holiday Special.
    Possibly they're named by the marketing people or toymakers, then? Seems unlikely that George does all of that himself.
    I'd be shocked and depressed if someone with a marketing degree was involved with naming Elan Sleazebaggano.
    Is there a source for this? I'm very wary of SW fans going 'George is responsible for this', which many fans apply to anything they don't like.
    Totally fair. If it makes you feel any better, Disney has replaced Lucas upon that throne.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

It's not particularly aimed at you, just a reflex now because the SW fandom does it so often that whenever someone says 'X is responsible for this part of SW' I want to see receipts.
    Okay, I gotcha. And I can appreciate wanting to know sources and documentation.

My instinct tells me that Lucas probably wrote the name into the script for AOTC, but can’t say for certain. It’s just a feeling, like the Force.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Agree 100% with both statements here.
    When dealing with the Empire, there's willing and then there's "willing." Fallen Order showed that fairly quickly after Episode 3, the Empire could and would torture lightsiders into compliance. Sure, it doesn't work 100%, but then again, this is the same Empire that tried "build a giant planet-destroying battle station" twice (three times if you count Starkiller Base).

Also, most of the inquisitors have designations to the effect of "Number" "Sibling Relation" (Second Sister, Ninth Sister, Sixth Brother, etc), but as far as I know, "First Sister" is conspicuously absent. It'd make sense for Barris to fill this role (since work on her could've started before the Clone Wars even ended).

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd be shocked and depressed if someone with a marketing degree was involved with naming Elan Sleazebaggano.
    Why not? It would make the kids that are your target market giggle.

Totally fair. If it makes you feel any better, Disney has replaced Lucas upon that throne.
    Nah, they've got a long way to go to reach the levels of random hatred George tanked. KK is certainly getting the 'good things are other people's work, bad things are blamed on you' treatment though.

Spoiler: Fallen Order
    Show
    When dealing with the Empire, there's willing and then there's "willing." Fallen Order showed that fairly quickly after Episode 3, the Empire could and would torture lightsiders into compliance. Sure, it doesn't work 100%, but then again, this is the same Empire that tried "build a giant planet-destroying battle station" twice (three times if you count Starkiller Base).
    It doesn't really work though? Cere gives up Trilla's name under torture, but that didn't make her align with the Empire. Trilla wasn't really tortured into compliance, she was bitter that her name was given up and turned on her master for that betrayal.

I mean, a writer could make it work if they wanted to, but it would be more 'hammer a square peg into a round hole' than anything that makes sense naturally in itself.