Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: [3.5] Mundane VoP Build

I think I went about this the wrong way

There's more to DnD than what you contribute to a fight

With that in mind

Race: Changeling
    Alignment: any good
    Template: Dragonborn of bahamut (for wings though your mount could provide that so you can skip it)

Alternate class features and substitution levels

Rogue
    - social intuition

Level 1 Rogue Wild cohort (very useful bodyguard that you can boost with your auras)
    Level 2 Marshal
    Level 3 Marshal Skill focus: bluff
    Level 4 Marshal
    Level 5 Marshal
    Level 6 Charlatan Knowledge devotion (Marshal has all knowledge skills, so will exemplar) or craven
    Level 7 Charlatan
    Level 8 Charlatan
    Level 9 Charlatan Craven or knowledge devotion
    Level 10 Charlatan
    Level 11+ Exemplar
    Level 12 Quick draw
    Level 15 TWF
    Level 18 ITWF

Ok so this is a counterintuitive build, it's a mundane class optimized for diplomancy and bluff (CHA is your main stat)

Social rogue means you can take 10 on all social skills and you start with 10x4 skillpoints
    Charlatan makes you a pseudo EX caster
    Wild cohort grants you a warrior mount that you ride everywhere
    Marshal lets you motivate Charisma (minor aura) + 1 major aura to boost your allies
    Exemplar gives you all skills (so Iaijutsu focus is fair game) and you can take 10 on it with the exemplar ability, same with the knowledge skills)
    You can throw daggers to trigger iaijutsu focus due to wonky writing of the skill
    Craven gives you some kind of bonus damage to let you pull your weight for a bit, marshal lets you grant move actions to other more combat oriented classes

Just about all of your abilities are EX

Your damage is not spectacular but your skills give you enough versatility to help out in most encounters and, since you take 10 on everything, nothing is up to chance.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Soranar View Post
    I think I went about this the wrong way

There's more to DnD than what you contribute to a fight

With that in mind

Race: Changeling
    Alignment: any good
    Template: Dragonborn of bahamut (for wings though your mount could provide that so you can skip it)

Alternate class features and substitution levels

Rogue
    - social intuition

Level 1 Rogue Wild cohort (very useful bodyguard that you can boost with your auras)
    Level 2 Marshal
    Level 3 Marshal Skill focus: bluff
    Level 4 Marshal
    Level 5 Marshal
    Level 6 Charlatan Knowledge devotion (Marshal has all knowledge skills, so will exemplar) or craven
    Level 7 Charlatan
    Level 8 Charlatan
    Level 9 Charlatan Craven or knowledge devotion
    Level 10 Charlatan
    Level 11+ Exemplar
    Level 12 Quick draw
    Level 15 TWF
    Level 18 ITWF

Ok so this is a counterintuitive build, it's a mundane class optimized for diplomancy and bluff (CHA is your main stat)

Social rogue means you can take 10 on all social skills and you start with 10x4 skillpoints
    Charlatan makes you a pseudo EX caster
    Wild cohort grants you a warrior mount that you ride everywhere
    Marshal lets you motivate Charisma (minor aura) + 1 major aura to boost your allies
    Exemplar gives you all skills (so Iaijutsu focus is fair game) and you can take 10 on it with the exemplar ability, same with the knowledge skills)
    You can throw daggers to trigger iaijutsu focus due to wonky writing of the skill
    Craven gives you some kind of bonus damage to let you pull your weight for a bit, marshal lets you grant move actions to other more combat oriented classes

Just about all of your abilities are EX

Your damage is not spectacular but your skills give you enough versatility to help out in most encounters and, since you take 10 on everything, nothing is up to chance.
    So where's Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, and the exalted feats?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soranar View Post
    <snip>
    Just remember that you lose all of your changeling abilities. Changeling racial ACFs are some of the best out there, but you'll completely lose your racial abilities.

4. - Top - End - #64

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pabelfly View Post
    So where's Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, and the exalted feats?
    Right, I forgot the feat tax for vow of poverty

I guess I can remove craven and trade sneak attack for a feat (martial rogue) , there aren't that many useful sacred feats except nymph's kiss and vow of nonviolence, you wisdom isn't that high so intuitive strike won't help much either.

knowledge devotion + iaijutsu focus will have to be enough, you can use skill tricks to trigger iaijutsu focus too

ideally you take flaws to count for VOP (though playing VOP is already a huge debuff)
    Last edited by Soranar; 2021-07-26 at 11:57 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Just remember that you lose all of your changeling abilities. Changeling racial ACFs are some of the best out there, but you'll completely lose your racial abilities.
    I know but the flight thing is a must and, even with a flying wild cohort mount, it's risky not to be able to fly at all

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

You don't have to take incarnum classes to make use of soulmelds so long as you've got enough feats to burn.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Stumbled across something while looking for something else entirely.

Bad news for VoP giants, I am afraid (at least by strict RAW):

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Hurling feat
    Normal
    As an improvised weapon, a 40- to 50-pound rock deals 2d6 points of damage with a range increment of 5 feet, and such a rock can be thrown only as a full-round action.
    So technically, rocks are not simple weapons.

[edit] Also, another thing I just found. CW p.158 has more details on improvised weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Also, if you're talking about use as a shield, there nothing I'm aware of that allows improvised weapons to be used as shields. Cover, maybe.
    One of the things it includes is as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by CW p.158
    Defense: Objects with lots of surface area (such as tables) grant you a +2 shield bonus to Armor Class (or a +4 shield bonus to AC if you use the total defense action), but require two hands to use.
    So apologies to loky1109.