New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Lightbulb Using "Celerity, Lesser" and "Clerity" works as "Celerity, Greater"?

Hello folks

I was thinking, if someone uses both spells, Clerity & Celerity, Lesser, the results would be the same as Celerity, Greater? Take that both are immediate actions.

I mean, one spell gives you a move action, and the other gives you a standard action, that result in a full-round action?

And taking the opportunity of this post.

Does Clerity, Greater gives you a swift action as well?

Thanks in advance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Using "Celerity, Lesser" and "Clerity" works as "Celerity, Greater"?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjonjon4 View Post
    Hello folks

I was thinking, if someone uses both spells, Clerity & Celerity, Lesser, the results would be the same as Celerity, Greater? Take that both are immediate actions.

I mean, one spell gives you a move action, and the other gives you a standard action, that result in a full-round action?

And taking the opportunity of this post.

Does Clerity, Greater gives you a swift action as well?

Thanks in advance.
    Both Celerity and Lesser Celerity cost an immediate action so cannot be used in the same turn, unless you have a way to use multiple swift/immediate actions per round. Similarly, Greater Celerity costs an Immediate Action, so I would not expect it to give an extra Swift action, just the Standard/Move.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Using "Celerity, Lesser" and "Clerity" works as "Celerity, Greater"?

Greater celerity explicitly gives you a full-round action, rather than a turn. You don’t get a swift action as part of the effect of greater celerity.
    Excel sheet for 3.5 -- Native support for stacking rules and multiple forms; as lightweight as possible otherwise. (links currently broken, if you want a copy LMK)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Both Celerity and Lesser Celerity cost an immediate action so cannot be used in the same turn, unless you have a way to use multiple swift/immediate actions per round. Similarly, Greater Celerity costs an Immediate Action, so I would not expect it to give an extra Swift action, just the Standard/Move.
    If I find a way to use both at same turn, would I be able to make a full attack with the benefit of this 2 spells?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

If I find a way to use both at same turn, would I be able to make a full attack with the benefit of this 2 spells?
    I would have to say no. You are not getting a full round set of actions like you do with Greater Clerity. A full attack is neither a move nor standard action, instead it is a full round action. A full round action is a separate action type/category and not a superset of standard and move actions.

Why?

There are power and abilities of the White Raven school in the Book of Nine Swords that allow the user to spend and action to grant an action to another member of the party. There are number of ways to do something similar but I love Bo9S. If multiple WR practitioners all delayed to the same initiative count and gave 2 standards and 3 move actions to the same character, I would not allow that character to take multiple full round actions but they would easily have 2 standard attack actions and could move faster than sound for that one free moment.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

RAW no.

When you take a turn, you are given the option to take a full-round action, or a move + standard:

In a normal round, you can perform a standard action and a move action, or you can perform a full-round action.
    While this suggests a sort of equivalence between "full-round" and "move + standard", it doesn't actually allow you to trade between them. All it does is let you pick either full-round or move + standard for your turn. Thus, if you're separately given a move + standard, you can't trade them for a full-round action.
    Excel sheet for 3.5 -- Native support for stacking rules and multiple forms; as lightweight as possible otherwise. (links currently broken, if you want a copy LMK)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

The rules compendium lets you turn standard actions into swift, so i think by RAW, you could chain greater celerities into move actions.

Or chain celerities into not having any spell slots left. If that's your thing.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    The rules compendium lets you turn standard actions into swift, so i think by RAW, you could chain greater celerities into move actions.

Or chain celerities into not having any spell slots left. If that's your thing.
    It doesn't remove the once per round limit and a readied action is done off your turn as a reaction to a trigger. At that point you might as well have taken your normal standard or readied a standard. Greater Celerity could be useful to ready to give yourself a full attack or something. Most people just cheat and set up contingency chains while immune to daze.