A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default [FILLED] One More Needed to Battle the Savage Tide! [3.5]

Our intrepid adventuring party is looking to add one more member to its ranks. Having just finished plumbing the depths of a hidden Sea Prince shrine to Dagon, demonic Prince of the Abyss, the party is just finishing up around town before a planned return Kraken Cove to investigate the origins of the Savage Tide before setting sail for the mysterious Isle of Dread.

The current party consists of:
    Shane, male half-elf Swashbuckler 4/Rogue 1
    Walton, male half-orc Mystic Warrior 4/Ranger 1
    Reyth, female human Sorcerer 5
    Detroit, male sea dwarf Fighter 5
    Corwyn, male human Cleric 5

System: Savage Tide was written as Core 3.5 adventure and thatís how we are running it. Other 3.5 source books with permission (usually OK). Pathfinder feats, spells, items, and domains by permission (but usually just fine). If there is a PF class that you really like, we can probably build to it with PrCs. Likewise, I am open to alternate class features so long as it remains balanced.

Power Level/Style: Moderate power level and magic. I am not looking for optimizers, and the Big 6 are not at all necessary to keep up. Durable magic items are rarer than in a typical AP; one-shot or limited use items are more typical. Magic shops are quite rare and have limited selection.

Player Submission and Selection: Only a backgrounds is required at this time. No crunch is necessary except to the point that it informs something about your character. The more interesting and entertaining your character is, the better your chances of being selected. Flawed characters are totally acceptable; you do not have to min-max out combat skills or optimize your feat chain in order to contribute in play.

Where?: Note that we are using IOgroups here [email protected] | Home for posting rather than GitP. It is more stable and allows for easier links to maps, character sheets, embedded treasure tables and the like. Dice rolling is actually being done on Paizo.

Again, no crunch is necessary at this time, but hereís how it will be done:
    Character Creation
    Stats: 24 point buy using Pathfinder point buy rules here http://www.myth-weavers.com/pointbuy.html. No stat can exceed 18 after racial adjustments, if any.
    Fun Totally Optional Rule: After you have arrayed your points and posted them here, you may declare that to be your final stats, or optionally choose to do the following:
    -- Roll 1d4 and add that to a single stat of your choice. You cannot divide up the points, and the resulting stat cannot exceed 19. If you adjust a stat to 19 and still have additional bonus points they can be added to your hit points.
    -- You must also roll 1d2 and deduct the result from one random stat. Roll d6 to determine which stat: 1=STR, 2=DEX, 3=CON, 4=INT, 5 = WIS, 6=CHA

Hit Points: Maximum +1 at 1st level; roll dice thereafter, treating any result of 1 as a 2.
    Wealth: TBD.
    Traits: Two traits, no drawbacks.
    Iíll take applications for one week or until an awesome character is submitted, whichever comes first.

Questions? Let me know.
    --DM Merc
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2021-08-05 at 09:49 PM.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3/Bar 1 | HP: 38 | Init +10 | AC 17 T12 FF15 | Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | [STR -2] ATK +7 melee 1d8+3/x2, +5 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- summon monster I, cause fear (DC 15), sonic blast D (DC 15), resurgence; 2nd-restoration, lesser (x2), sonic weapon D
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 15)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: One More Needed to Battle the Savage Tide! [3.5]

What is considered core 3.5?

3. - Top - End - #3

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAnAxe View Post
    What is considered core 3.5?
    Generally PH I & PH II, but as noted I'm willing to consider most other classes from additional books. The only hard no-go I have is Tome of Battle/Book of Nine Swords.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3/Bar 1 | HP: 38 | Init +10 | AC 17 T12 FF15 | Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | [STR -2] ATK +7 melee 1d8+3/x2, +5 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- summon monster I, cause fear (DC 15), sonic blast D (DC 15), resurgence; 2nd-restoration, lesser (x2), sonic weapon D

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I'm interested in applying, but you seem to have a fairly well rounded party already. Is there any particular niche in terms of mechanics you're looking for?

I've read through the Savage Tide Player's Guide and could probably make a character with decent enough connections to the city using that, but it's my understanding that the party will now be headed away from the city. Will the adventure path be returning to Sasserine at all, and if not, what materials should I base a character background on?

The Player's Guide mentions affiliations from PHB II. Are you using the ones described in the Guide?

Is my assumption correct that we'll be doing plenty of sailing and perhaps swimming as well?

I tend to work with mechanics first and then work out a background and personality to explain the mechanics, at least if they're a bit exotic. I have three ideas in my drawer that I'd like your opinion on whether they're acceptable in terms of optimization:

1. A character focused on gaining multiple movement modes as early as possible. He would be a sea kin (from Races of Destiny) or aventi (from Stormwrack) and be built as a scout 4/barbarian 1. The barbarian level would use the ape totem from Unearthed Arcana to gain a climb speed. Thus, at level 5 he would have some combat prowess from rage and skirmish, probably decent wilderness skills from scout, and a 40 foot land speed, 30 foot swim speed, and 20 foot climb speed. Having a swim and a climb speed also nets him major bonuses to the Climb and Swim skills.

2. A character focused on gaining built in invisibility as early as possible. He would be a halfling and be built as a monk 2/ninja 3 (ninja is from Complete Adventurer). Ninja 2 allows him to turn invisible as a swift action a number of times per day, which I would like to improve on by taking the Expanded Ki Pool feat from Complete Scoundrel. I'd also like to use the Invisible Fist ACF from Exemplars of Evil (replacing evasion at monk 2) to give him immediate action invisibility as a backup option. Finally, I'd like to take the halfling monk substitution levels from Races of the Wild. This lowers his HD to a d6, but gives 6 skill points per level, the Weapon Finesse feat as a bonus, and +1d6 skirmish damage instead of flurry of blows. IMO, none of these options really amount to a drastic upgrade in power - he basically ends up where he would be as a ninja but with some extra invisibility thrown in.

3. A shield-based character built around boosting his AC using various shield feats. For him to work well there needs to be another character in the party who uses a shield and is willing to team up so that they're adjacent in combat. The character would be an elf scout, using the riposte ACF to enable extra damage without needing to break formation while also getting an AC boost. The build would include fighter 2 to get the required shield feats and would then move into ranger (preferably being allowed to use ACF:s that replace things like wild empathy and animal companion). The clincher in the build is the Swift Hunter feat from Complete Scoundrel, which normally enables a multiclassing ranger/scout to keep advancing the skirmish and favoured enemy class features. In this case, I would request that it be allowed to advance the riposte ACF instead of skirmish - the only difference between the two is when the extra damage and AC are activated.

5. - Top - End - #5

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hi rax,

I am not particularly worried about filling a specific niche. The party is already fairly well balanced, so don't feel restricted in designing for a particular role.

You are correct that the party will not be in Sasserine much longer, and if they do return it will be for very brief periods. I am using the affiliations described in guide, so if you want your character to be a native you can align with one of those. As it turns out, one of the current characters is loosely affiliated with Zelkarune's Horns, though it has mostly just manifested in the background. The affiliation that has gotten the most game play is the sorcerer's affiliation with the Witchwardens, who have provided some assistance with the party's forays so far.

That said, since we are moving away from Sasserine, your character could be a native from elsewhere in the region. There is actually a perfect opportunity to plausibly introduce a new character when the company makes a trip back to Kraken's Cove to investigate at the request of the Witchwardens. So if you want to go that route, the environment is all sea and tropical/semi-tropical jungle hereabouts.

Re your three character concepts, I think the first one fits best thematically. The third option might be a challenge in that only one of the current party members uses a shield, and that is the sea dwarf with his tower shield.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Thanks for the replies, I'll get to work putting a character or two together.

FYI, I probably won't be finished until this weekend at the earliest. Holidays are coming to an end and there's a bunch of family activities competing for my time.

7. - Top - End - #7

OrcBarbarianGuy

Not a problem, I will be mostly out-of-pocket from Thursday through Sunday, so apologies in advance if I take a while to get back on any further questions from anyone.

DEADLINE for submissions is Sunday, August 1st, with final selection being made early next week.

Thanks,
    Merc

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Tyressia

The Temple of Procan in Scant was an ancient and proud institution. And one of those traditions was that of an Oracle, one who lived a life of purity and seclusion, the better to hear the pronouncements of the God, and to predict his will over the seas and oceans of the world. Such predictions are vital to good commerce, for Scant is an Ocean-going port, not some mere stopping point for coastal traders, and both vessels and cargos earn large sums by taking large risks. Some ships will not venture from port without hearing the god's word on the likely weather, the risk of pirates pirates and depredations of monsters on the high seas.

The previous Oracle served loyally and well from girlhood through to middle age, producing reliable prophecies with dignity and grace. She also, however, was plagued with ill-health. When thieves stormed the sanctuary, it was found that she could neither defend herself, nor run at any appreciable speed, and was slain in the confusion. The next Oracle, the priesthood decided, would be rigorously trained. They found the replacement by following the auguries to a small jail in Irongate. The new recruit, a lady called Tyressia, was described as 'feisty, perhaps overly so', and medical attention was requested. They duly got the charges dropped, and brought her from Irongate to take up her duly appointed place in Scant.

The Oracle is kept within a small set of apartments called the Shell Palace, and allowed to venture to the Shrine for prayer, ritual purification, and reflection. The rest of the time is taken up with training, fasting, mediation and scholarship, with the addition now of some physical training. It is, in short, a valuable and blessed life. It is also, very, very very, dull.

She put up with it for almost two years.

One day Tyressia fell into a deep trance, collapsed, and took to her chambers. For almost two days she repeated the same thing when the door was tried "I am fasting and having holy visions. It is vital I am not disturbed". When finally they ignored her repeated requests, and broke down the door, they found an urchin girl tied up and gagged in the bed, a magic mouth repeating the same phrase over and over, and the Oracle nowhere to be found. Meanwhile, Tyressia, two days out westward bound on the good ship Shibboleth, from the east coast of the Great Kingdom, was very much looking forward to having some kind of great adventure.

It's possible that the Priest of Procan will come looking for her. It's possible that assassins will come looking for her, to make sure she doesn't come back and embarrass anyone. Or maybe some evil cult will want the duly appointed Oracle of Procan for their own purposes. It could be that her criminal past might come looking for her, now that she's free of the safety of the temple. Or maybe she'll hate the wider world, and want to return. But as long as she stays on fast ships going to unlikely locations, she can stay one step ahead of her past, that's tomorrow's problem. Today, she's going to see what the word has to offer.

Have been deliberately vague here in terms of build. I can see bard, spirit shaman, or sorcerer all fitting, although I feel like I should avoid high wisdom scores.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Phen
    Hailing from Glimmershore, a small sea kin settlement beyond Blood Bay, Phen was always fascinated by the great sailing vessels that passed his home on the horizon. All through his childhood, he would daydream about boarding one of them to sail to distant lands, but it wasn't until Sasserine was reopened to trade a decade ago that any such vessel even came near his home.

Instead, Phen contented himself with explorations closer to home, trekking into the Amedio Jungle to explore Olman ruins, diving into sinkholes to discover underwater cave systems, and charting the coastline north and south of Glimmershore. He learned how to survive on land as well as above and below the waves, and within himself he discovered a wellspring of animalistic power to draw on when his life was threatened. But no matter the dangers, Phen loved every minute of it and he was often able to enrich his community with artifacts and curios from his wanderings.

Five years ago, Phen's dream finally came true. One of the Vanderborens' ships was sailing up the coast when they came upon Glimmershore. The crew was afflicted by a deadly disease, but with the help of healers among the sea kin, most of them were saved. The ship's pilot was not so fortunate, however. Seeing his chance, Phen offered his services as navigator and was accepted on the strength of the sea kin elders' recommendations.

Phen proved his worth on the journey, guiding the ship safely to its destination and back to Sasserine. Since then, he has worked many times for the Vanderboren family, piloting their ships at sea and guiding exploratory parties on land, but he is too restless to become a permanent employee. Instead, he remains a trusted freelancer and ally of the family. When he heard of the sudden death of Verik and Larissa Vanderboren, he rushed back to Sasserine as quickly as he could to offer his assistance to Lavinia.

Other Stuff: Phen is essentially kind-hearted and willing to help out of respect for Lavinia's parents. He may also be a bit smitten with Lavinia herself. He is an explorer in heart and soul, however, and in the long run he would need to return to his wandering ways to remain happy.

As far as a build is concerned, he would start out as a scout 4/barbarian 1 (ape totem). If allowed, he might then enter the Horizon Walker prestige class from the DMG. Since he has improved land speed as well as a climb speed and swim speed, he's very mobile already. It would be fun if that could be rounded out by acquiring a magic item that allows flight.

10. - Top - End - #10

OrcBarbarianGuy

Than you for the submissions all, I think we've got some very strong candidates. Therefore, recruiting is officially ended to new entries.

I appreciate everyone's interest and patience since I have been away the last four days. I will be conferring with the existing players over the next few days and will get back to folks with any clarifying questions before making a final selection.

Cheers,
    Merc