New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Owl House

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Default The Owl House

I don't know if there was a thread for this or if it expired, so I thought I could make a discussion thread for it.

So far, we're in season 2, which began airing on 6/12/2021 every Saturday, and now it's currently 5 episodes in.

Spoiler
    Show

Obviously, episode 5 ends on a fairly high note--yay for wlw representation, and I'm surprised that Illusion isn't more popular. Any mental/psychic powers is so immensely useful that I feel like Gus' part was just to emphasize something that should already make sense.

Also looks like the next episode will feature Luz and the Golden Guard, which should prove for some interesting interactions.

Thoughts on the show?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Owl House

I've literally just started watching this with my girlfriend. We only made it through episode 3 of season 1 tonight, because work this week is going to suck for me, but I think we're going to binge everything else currently available this week.

Really enjoying this, and all the implications of it being in the same world as Gravity Falls so far.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Owl House is incredible and I haven't seen episode 5 of season 2 yet and I cannot wait aaaaaaaa.

Episode 4 theorizing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    so Belos is that First Human, I feel. That's pretty obvious. I also think the Golden Guard is his son... and I swear if he gets in the way of Luz and Amity's relationship I'm gonna end up throttling a cartoon child.

4. - Top - End - #4

GreataxeFighterGirl

New episode today - "Hunting Palismen":

Spoiler
    Show

hahahah Hunter? Hunter? It's not a bad name by any means but it's the most...name ever. Hunter. I just cracked up when he said that. I don't know why.

Fun new character, and he'll likely join the teencrew at some point. I'm going to guess that Luz's palisman will be an otter, just 'cause.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Zodi and I went up through season 2 episode 5. I absolutely adore this show.

6. - Top - End - #6

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Zodi and I went up through season 2 episode 5. I absolutely adore this show.
    S2E5 is just pure joy and I can't stop rewatching those last few minutes.

New episode today - "Eda's Requiem":

Spoiler
    Show

Nonbinary Raine and also Eda's love interest and also just an extremely likable character all around??!? Really incredible things to watch. The music/duet scene was beautifully animated, and seeing the other Coven heads in action was a delight as well. Also didn't realize that the VA for the Abomination Coven Head is the same VA as the one for Hordak/Horde Prime, but I did think he sounded familiar.

Season 2 is really outdoing itself.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    New episode today - "Hunting Palismen":

Spoiler
    Show

Fun new character, and he'll likely join the teencrew at some point. I'm going to guess that Luz's palisman will be an otter, just 'cause.

And this one says I'm an otter... with a dark side~ :3
    Sparxs Plays: My friend's Youtube gaming channel where you can watch us.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbj...9MQHA/featured

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Spoiler: Eda's Requiem
    Show
    Another fantastic episode!

Raine is wonderful and I love their relationship with Eda. That ending though :c

The duet scene was absolutely breathtaking. The animation and music were beautiful, chills. And it broke my heart when Eda said Luz and King both have "real" families to return to.

Enjoyed the twist with the name change, I found the mislead slightly confusing but it was really sweet and meant so much to Eda in that moment.

Small thing I noticed, the pen with the gem on the end that Eda uses at the beginning, is the same one from season 1 when Eda was said to be distracted by shiny things. Nice little detail :3

Overall, loved this episode. Season 2 just keeps getting better and better!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

It's a good show. Recently took the slot of my "feel good fun" show. It doesn't quite reach the heights of Gravity Falls to me yet. But I'm really enjoying it. And that's a high bar to pass anyway.

There is one question I had if anyone knew the answer.

Spoiler
    Show
    Was there a reason given why Golden Guardian didn't just tell his boss that the other villain sabotaged him?
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2021-07-24 at 10:12 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    It's a good show. Recently took the slot of my "feel good fun" show. It doesn't quite reach the heights of Gravity Falls to me yet. But I'm really enjoying it. And that's a high bar to pass anyway.

There is one question I had if anyone knew the answer.

Spoiler
    Show
    Was there a reason given why Golden Guardian didn't just tell his boss that the other villain sabotaged him?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do you think angry meat uncle would listen to him when he says his trusted and most precious advisor tried to kill him?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do you think angry meat uncle would listen to him when he says his trusted and most precious advisor tried to kill him?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Isn’t that him, though? He’s the one trusted with the secret mission. He’s the one given command of the best coven despite being a teenager, with no natural magic. He’s the one that l’s a familiar relationship. He’s the one that knows some of his uncle’s secrets.

Also, it just would be what you’d do if trying to aid the guy. Hey, this moron disrupted a successful mission. She’s clearly unstable here.

It seems like the Witch King is afraid to tattle on the Mouth of Sauron.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2021-07-25 at 08:38 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Spoiler
    Show
    Isn’t that him, though? He’s the one trusted with the secret mission. He’s the one given command of the best coven despite being a teenager, with no natural magic. He’s the one that l’s a familiar relationship. He’s the one that knows some of his uncle’s secrets.

Also, it just would be what you’d do if trying to aid the guy. Hey, this moron disrupted a successful mission. She’s clearly unstable here.

It seems like the Witch King is afraid to tattle on the Mouth of Sauron.
    Spoiler
    Show

Hunter's like 14, and I don't think he's in charge of the Emperor's Coven like Lilith was. He may be skilled, and may be put on missions, but he also ****ed up and it's clear Belos doesn't think taht highly of him, especially given how Hunter occasionally dips into ideas of Wild Magic. I can't think of a LOTR reference to compare it too, but basically... Kiki-mori is Belos's left hand, and Hunter his right. They're both on equal footing within this hierarchy, and Kiki is aiming at him because she wants all the respect instead of some of it.

As well; Hunter's job was to kidnap defenseless, disabled animals, and he failed. Can you trust the excuses given by someone after a failure such as that? And on the flip side; can Hunter trust that his uncle, who clearly has anger issues exacerbated by his meat condition, believe him?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Hunter's like 14, and I don't think he's in charge of the Emperor's Coven like Lilith was. He may be skilled, and may be put on missions, but he also ****ed up and it's clear Belos doesn't think taht highly of him, especially given how Hunter occasionally dips into ideas of Wild Magic. I can't think of a LOTR reference to compare it too, but basically... Kiki-mori is Belos's left hand, and Hunter his right. They're both on equal footing within this hierarchy, and Kiki is aiming at him because she wants all the respect instead of some of it.

As well; Hunter's job was to kidnap defenseless, disabled animals, and he failed. Can you trust the excuses given by someone after a failure such as that? And on the flip side; can Hunter trust that his uncle, who clearly has anger issues exacerbated by his meat condition, believe him?
    Spoiler
    Show

Isn’t that more or a reason to tell Uncle Evil?

Yo Unk, I was doing totally good with the wooden pet pouching and suddenly Kiki attacked me with her finger dragon. That’s why I failed.

Gives a reason for failure other than “I’m incompetent.” If Belos questions Kiki any information she can try to use against him just proves she was there when she was not supposed to be. Which leads to her disgrace anyway. It’s only if Belos takes the utterly insane stance of his loyal nephew failed an easy mission, and is now lying about it, and won’t take any further precautions or actions against Kiki that results in the exact same situation he’s currently in.

But we’ve seen a lot of odd behavior from Belos. Manipulative, evil behavior. But he hasn’t come across as stupid evil, to me.

14. - Top - End - #14

Spoiler
    Show

Isn’t that more or a reason to tell Uncle Evil?

Yo Unk, I was doing totally good with the wooden pet pouching and suddenly Kiki attacked me with her finger dragon. That’s why I failed.

Gives a reason for failure other than “I’m incompetent.” If Belos questions Kiki any information she can try to use against him just proves she was there when she was not supposed to be. Which leads to her disgrace anyway. It’s only if Belos takes the utterly insane stance of his loyal nephew failed an easy mission, and is now lying about it, and won’t take any further precautions or actions against Kiki that results in the exact same situation he’s currently in.

But we’ve seen a lot of odd behavior from Belos. Manipulative, evil behavior. But he hasn’t come across as stupid evil, to me.
    I don't think it'd be stupid evil to doubt Hunter if he brought up Kiki attacking him. Belos would most likely ask for proof.

And even if Belos would 100% actually believe Hunter, does Hunter think he would? Given Belos is clearly dismissive of Hunter in other aspects, like with Wild Magic. The reality of "Belos is smart enough to actually take Hunter seriously about that" is irrelevant next to the reality of "Hunter doesn't want to risk his uncle to hit him again".

15. - Top - End - #15

GreataxeFighterGirl

New episode today - "Knock, Knock, Knockin' on Hooty's Door":

Spoiler
    Show

Holy crack on a cake, I did NOT expect so many developments! King's sonic powers are awesome and definitely a neat contrast to all the other magic (it might be another form of Wild Magic? not sure). Ominous eclipse lady in Eda's vision is ominous, but I'm glad she made sorta-peace with her owl beast, and I'm looking forward to see what she can do in her harpy form. And of course, the canonization of a main, queer couple (with the bonus of Eda and Raine once being a thing) on a kid cartoon, when 5 years ago it would've been almost impossible.

I wish I grew up with this show.

16. - Top - End - #16

GreataxeFighterGirl

New episode today - "Eclipse Lake":

Spoiler
    Show

Don't think it was as smooth as the previous episodes; the plotline summed down to Amity bringing the key instead of just leaving it in the House somewhere. Also, somehow not noticing there was Titan's blood in it.

Amity and Hunter's dynamic was great. And the fight scene was so incredibly done, showing off both of their skills and powers. Amity is an absolute powerhouse. This season's animation budget really churned out well.

Still a fun episode, and looking forward to the mid-season finale.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I’m going to put everything in spoilers box simply because I don’t know what should be the spoilers limits:

Spoiler: Owl House
    Show

Im not sure qualifying Rain and Eda as the first queer couple is accurate. Rain seems non-binary to me but still with a guy in his pants. Eda seem straight to me, just more open minded and understanding then some people.

I wonder if Eda will be able to cast magic eventually now that she can bargain with the owl beast...

I love how Emity palisman is a cat. Very cute. And Luz/Amity is a cute couple.

It was funny that she tried imitating DBZ to change. And the rest of the jokes related to that. Not a fan of DBZ but it made me think of that kid video on YouTube, where he try the same thing.

I always was a fan of Lilith. I was disappointed when she put Luz in danger but I can see her in being desperate and having a misguided moment.

To be honest, in season 1, I thought Eda was annoying and mostly using Luz as some sort of pet she could dispose of one day. At least until she started becoming more caring or at least more demonstrative.

I wish there would be a third season. Wish Disney had more judgment.

I wish there was a male character in the show I liked especially though. But I think Emity father is not bad, I like his quiet, introvert and rational attitude... with a Attention disorder lol! I don’t see why he married that woman though but I guess it could be resumed in... he really like abominations? lol

I wish I knew all magic coven in the show. Seems like there is always a new one I never heard about before.

All in all, it’s a great show. I have so much to catch on to however. Like I haven’t watched a single episode of Gravity Falls or I’m a spider so what... and didn’t finish catching up with My Hero Academia or Ascension of a Bookworm. I’m glad I’m catching up on Owl House at least!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

New episode today - "Knock, Knock, Knockin' on Hooty's Door":

Spoiler
    Show

Holy crack on a cake, I did NOT expect so many developments! King's sonic powers are awesome and definitely a neat contrast to all the other magic (it might be another form of Wild Magic? not sure). Ominous eclipse lady in Eda's vision is ominous, but I'm glad she made sorta-peace with her owl beast, and I'm looking forward to see what she can do in her harpy form. And of course, the canonization of a main, queer couple (with the bonus of Eda and Raine once being a thing) on a kid cartoon, when 5 years ago it would've been almost impossible.

I wish I grew up with this show.

Certainly a packed episode. Any of the three plots in it could have been the a plot of an episode by itself and probably have had the fan base buzzing.
    Sparxs Plays: My friend's Youtube gaming channel where you can watch us.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbj...9MQHA/featured

19. - Top - End - #19

I keep on forgetting to post in this thread. Show is real good!

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    I’m going to put everything in spoilers box simply because I don’t know what should be the spoilers limits:

Spoiler: Owl House
    Show

Im not sure qualifying Rain and Eda as the first queer couple is accurate. Rain seems non-binary to me but still with a guy in his pants. Eda seem straight to me, just more open minded and understanding then some people.

I wonder if Eda will be able to cast magic eventually now that she can bargain with the owl beast...

I love how Emity palisman is a cat. Very cute. And Luz/Amity is a cute couple.

It was funny that she tried imitating DBZ to change. And the rest of the jokes related to that. Not a fan of DBZ but it made me think of that kid video on YouTube, where he try the same thing.

I always was a fan of Lilith. I was disappointed when she put Luz in danger but I can see her in being desperate and having a misguided moment.

To be honest, in season 1, I thought Eda was annoying and mostly using Luz as some sort of pet she could dispose of one day. At least until she started becoming more caring or at least more demonstrative.

I wish there would be a third season. Wish Disney had more judgment.

I wish there was a male character in the show I liked especially though. But I think Emity father is not bad, I like his quiet, introvert and rational attitude... with a Attention disorder lol! I don’t see why he married that woman though but I guess it could be resumed in... he really like abominations? lol

I wish I knew all magic coven in the show. Seems like there is always a new one I never heard about before.

All in all, it’s a great show. I have so much to catch on to however. Like I haven’t watched a single episode of Gravity Falls or I’m a spider so what... and didn’t finish catching up with My Hero Academia or Ascension of a Bookworm. I’m glad I’m catching up on Owl House at least!
    You have no idea what, if anything, Raine has in their pants (and it really isn't ours to pry), and because they ARE non-binary, that means it is a queer relationship.

Every coven was mentioned in the episode that brought up what covens even are (and introduced Lilith, actually).

The covens in the system ARE;

1: Emperor's Coven, not technically part of the main nine but vitally important.

2: Abomination Coven, focused on the creation and utilization of Abominations.

3: Bard Coven, focused on music and manipulation of the environment through song.

4: Beast Keeper's Coven, focused on magical beast control and also embodying them in buff spells and stuff.

5: Construction Coven, which... mean they build ****. Power boosts for lifting stuff, geomancy, stuff like that.

6: Healing Coven. Take a wild guess.

7: Illusion Coven, which focuses on illusions and stuff. Given what we've seen they seem mostly to be part of the news media.

8: Oracle Coven. They do fortune telling and stuff, which also seems to involve mental communications. They probably made all the crystal ball phones!

9: Plant coven. They make plants.

10: Potions coven. They do the potions what do various magical things.

While there are other, smaller covens, those are the main nine (plus Bellos's private army).

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Well Rain voice actor is non-binary but it felt like the voice of someone who has an Adam's apple. And if you look at Rain voice actor picture, you can safely assume what is in their pants.

And if someone is attracted to a xenogender person, it makes them queer now? I didn’t think it changed something when it came to not binary gender.

Still learning by the way, hope you take no offense.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    Well Rain voice actor is non-binary but it felt like the voice of someone who has an Adam's apple. And if you look at Rain voice actor picture, you can safely assume what is in their pants.

And if someone is attracted to a xenogender person, it makes them queer now? I didn’t think it changed something when it came to not binary gender.

Still learning by the way, hope you take no offense.
    I'll let you off with a warning, since you are still learning.

1: Everything you just said about Raine's voice actor "feeling like they have an Adam's apple" and they "look like they have a ****" is incredibly offensive at BEST- and also just wrong, the Adam's Apple isn't an indicator of voice! Women, even ciswomen, can grow facial hair. It's just an utter mess.

2: If you are in a relationship with a non-binary person it is a queer relationship, even if you're cis and straight (though calling yourself straight while also dating a non-binary person feels extremely counter intuitive).

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Spoiler: Eclipse Lake
    Show
    A fun episode!
    Right of the bat, a Belos face reveal. Before I suspected he was Philip Wittebane, but he has pointy witch ears. Maybe he's a descendant.
    It does feel slightly unnecessary that Amity took the key with her. And when Hunter was talking about it I was hoping she'd try and hide it, but she didn't lol. But it's worth it for plot and nice fight scenes to happen!
    The fight scene was beautifully animated and showcased their abilities really well. I wonder if some of Amity's moves were referencing ATLA, reminded me of Katara's waterbending a lot, especially with her pouch of abomination goo.
    More harpy Eda was great. Further reinforcing that embracing and communicating with the owl beast is how she can control the curse and use it to her advantage. Also hilarious that her end of the deal was, eat a ton of voles.

Also, Eda and Raine is for sure a queer relationship! It makes me so happy there's a relationship with a non-binary character in the show.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

1) ...Well I guess we cannot assume anything anymore. I'll just avoid thinking if they would have thought of having biological kids together in another reality or something. One where Eda didn't become the cursed by the owl beast. Not that it's that important, I'll just try stop overthink things.

2) Ok I did a research and if its a "queer" relationship, I think it makes one that is normally straight, have to accept to become "pans..." I can say it here but there is a word for that. You know, being attracted to more then just your opposite gender. starts with pans. Different then being "bis"

Man this is so confusing. Especially since now gender is a feeling rather then a biological factor. Then I wouldnt be sure how to explain Im not attracted to eggplants, no matter how the other person look or identify themselves. I might have a attraction to someone but if I suddenly find out they have an eggplant, its over. Just not into that.

So I dont feel like saying Im cis and straight is as innacurate or "counter intuitive" because physical genetic also affect into what or who you are attracted to (not sure what you mean by counter intuitive). If gender is now whatever you feel like i should be, how do we define attraction then? I mean for non-binairy people? Its ... queer? I thought queer included a large group, not something as specific.

Attraction is like beauty: its in the eyes of the one looking. Each person definition of beauty is different. So if you call yourself straight, you have to accept that you see opposite gender traits in the ones you are attracted to. I think it would be as wrong and counterproductive to deny what attract one person to another, just as much as denying others how they want to be addressed. You can be any gender you want, you should be adressed how you want... but you also cannot force attraction or not to any genders, that would be plain wrong.

(I dont want to get warning AND english isnt my first language so Im really dancing around the words here. We should probably continue this conversation elsewhere)

24. - Top - End - #24

Yeah generally speaking don't assume things about others out of hand. You can overthink things of course, but Raine is non-binary and what they were born as is irrelevant.

Gender has always been a feeling. You're thinking of the differences between "gender" and "sex", with an added helping of "sexuality" thrown in. I say Eda being straight by dating someone non-binary is "counter intuitive" because being straight means you're attracted, generally, to people of the opposite gender. Raine is not male or female, so by default Eda can't really be straight.

Attraction is defined by a lot of things. Physical bits, emotional bits, and so on. It's always going to be in relation to another person, which is why this stuff matters. If someone is a woman, trans or cis, they're a woman, and if you're attracted to women you may be attracted to them.

And I can assure you, no one is trying to force attraction on each other.

At any rate: Owl House very good! I'll be watching the new episode later tomorrowish, and will try to actually talk about it, but suffice to say for the Hooty episode... amazing. Absolutely wonderful in every way.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Anyone know when Disney+ is supposed to have new episodes? They currently only have the first five episodes of season 2.

26. - Top - End - #26

I don't know for sure but I've heard they update it every five episodes.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Anyone know when Disney+ is supposed to have new episodes? They currently only have the first five episodes of season 2.
    I heard 8/15 last, but I would put lots of stock in that.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

I tried to make the Eda, The Owl Witch as a character for a DND session... and boy was it hard!

I mean there is so much to cover that she is capable to do, so much aspect to her setup that its hard to include everything.

In short, she's a variant human (Feat: War Caster, Bonus Skill: Performance), Criminal Background and her character class are (in no particular order): 1 Monk, 9 Sorcerer (Shadow Magic), Warlock 10 (Genie patreon).

Why? Genie patron give her a smaller version of the Owl house. Sorcerer Shadow Magic allow her to summon a dire wolf life creature we will call King and allows her to have Transmuted spells metamagic to show she knows all king of elemental spells. The one rank in Monk is because she is also a close range fighter with a quaterstaff and use her dex instead of her strenght.

The only thing I couldn't fit in the build was he owl beast form... and personnaly, I can see it as Warlock Patreon punishement ( if the GM agrees) as a roleplay tool if you aren't fullfilling your patreon wishes and become a owlbear in the GM control LOL
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2021-08-12 at 10:37 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

GreataxeFighterGirl

New episode today - "Yesterday's Lie" (also the last episode for season 2A):

Spoiler
    Show

Wow, the basilisk callback was neat. Really didn't expect that. Vee is very adorable and I feel sorry for her. Also: theories for Phillip and his brother, and the latter is totally Hunter's OG clone.

The final scene between Luz and Camila was so beautifully and tearjerkingly done. Great writing in the show. A bit of a calm mid-season finale compared to the more action-driven plots of the previous four episodes, but it's a good pause point before the next half.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

New episode today - "Yesterday's Lie" (also the last episode for season 2A):

Spoiler
    Show

Wow, the basilisk callback was neat. Really didn't expect that. Vee is very adorable and I feel sorry for her. Also: theories for Phillip and his brother, and the latter is totally Hunter's OG clone.

The final scene between Luz and Camila was so beautifully and tearjerkingly done. Great writing in the show. A bit of a calm mid-season finale compared to the more action-driven plots of the previous four episodes, but it's a good pause point before the next half.

I don’t even remember where that callback come from. In any case I have a theory...

Spoiler: Theory
    Show
    Belos want to fuse the boiling isles with the human world. The reason why Luz was able To make her own portal was that she used magic elements from all different covens around the door but to send the boiling isles to the human world, they need the focused magic of each coven separated but mixed together for one giant spells. Each coven head act like a spell focus this way. That’s why they did not kill Rain.

He hate wild magic cause it’s what destroy him from the inside: the rules of the world. He can use magic to become immortal but the demon realms natural laws are assaulting him. That’s why he wants to bring the boiling isles to the human world, thinking he can become all powerful without malus once escaping the demon realm.

Also Lux will have to choose between her life in demon realm and human realm. It was nice to see how both girl and mother realized how they miss each other’s only if they think they might lose each other.

EDIT: SCREEN PAUSED a scene! WOW! The little bird talisman who is missing an eye was actually on one of the man shoulders in the curator story! The theory of that Hunter being a clone of Balos's brother start to gain some weight here! They even have paper glyph on that picture!
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2021-08-15 at 08:39 AM.