New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Missed Opportunities and Misapplied technology in fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Actually, no.

Her original wish, in the manga, was a lifetime supply of strawberries. She changed it to "perfect boyfriend" mid-journey.

Though, admittedly, the dragon balls are another one. Ignoring the asspull from GT, there's no consequence from using them as they become available.

You'd think the team would have made a habit of gathering them ahead of time instead of waiting for an emergency. Just keep them on the Lookout.

I also think it's weird that none of the good guys ever wanted to be immortal. Son Goku is an adaption of Sun Wukong... Who actively sought out immortality and was several different kinds of immortal by the end of the prolog and picked up a couple more by the story's end.
    They actually do keep the Dragon Balls "in reserve", or at least are implied to, by the time Battle of Gods comes around. Bulma always seems to have them around her house these days.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I forgot with Aperature, but per the ending of Portal 2: interplanetary teleportation. Without even light speed delay, it seems. Would need some setup to get it to, say, Mars (aiming would be a pain), but I can just imagine tying a piece of moon rock with a portal already on it to the next rover.
    Not entirely without light speed delay. Time the portal opening from you pulling the trigger for the moonshot. 6 seconds. The moon is roughly 3 light seconds away.

Yes, when the portal is open, it's instant, but creating it is not.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The problem with Warcraft (and Skyrim and similar settings) technology is, that it just is not as effective as the equivalent tech in our world. Take guns: Apparently, a Warcraft musket has an effective range of some 20 meters, and it also takes some 20 shots to take an enemy soldier out of the fight. Even when that enemy is just a normal dude, not a demonic monstrosity. It also takes 20 hits or so to kill someone with a sword, but when you are going to be in melee anyway, most people will prefer the melee weapon.

Of course, that is mostly for reasons of gameplay, with a healthy helping of writers underestimating the power of technology. Does anyone know if guns are this ineffective in the fluff books? If they are lethal in the books, is there any justification why a Dwarven army with guns and cannons does not cut down any enemy they meet?
    Last edited by Seppl; 2021-07-29 at 10:00 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Seppl View Post
    Of course, that is mostly for reasons of gameplay, with a healthy helping of writers underestimating the power of technology. Does anyone know if guns are this ineffective in the fluff books? If they are lethal in the books, is there any justification why a Dwarven army with guns and cannons does not cut down any enemy they meet?
    Can't trust this newfangled technology, get some nice well established mechanisms like crossbows and grudge throwers. #TeamThorek

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Can't trust this newfangled technology, get some nice well established mechanisms like crossbows and grudge throwers. #TeamThorek
    If you cant strangle a grobbi with your beard, you have no business commanding an army
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #36
    Colossus in the Playground

Hey... Who here remembers Captain Planet and the Planeteers?

Specifically, their 100% Environmentally Friendly Solar Powered Flying car that's like a billion times more efficient than any solar-powered generator before or since that show?

Yeah.. they probably could have done more good proliferating the technology that powered that car as an alternative to fossil fuels than a million cases of having Captain Planet beat up a supervillain.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hey... Who here remembers Captain Planet and the Planeteers?

Specifically, their 100% Environmentally Friendly Solar Powered Flying car that's like a billion times more efficient than any solar-powered generator before or since that show?

Yeah.. they probably could have done more good proliferating the technology that powered that car as an alternative to fossil fuels than a million cases of having Captain Planet beat up a supervillain.
    I mean, when people go out of their way to kill the world for sheer malice, i think its a valid use of their time.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Wasn't at least one of the supervillains they fought solely profit motivated? They could have done a teamup!

And while we're on Captain Planet, the virtual reality videogame in that one episode could probably be used for more than figuring out how long it would take for pollution to drive everything extinct.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Wasn't at least one of the supervillains they fought solely profit motivated? They could have done a teamup!

And while we're on Captain Planet, the virtual reality videogame in that one episode could probably be used for more than figuring out how long it would take for pollution to drive everything extinct.
    Hoggish Greedly.

One episode even had him retire from Supervillainy when he realized that there was more money in recycling than there was in his various hair-brained schemes.

Granted, I'm not sure how ethical those recycling plants would be, but... Ya know, one step at a time.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Spamalot in the Playground

Scotty's transporter tech in the JJ Abrams Trek universe. You can teleport people and goods between worlds at FTL speeds without need of a starship... and it never gets used after it's creation except as a one time minor plot point in the second movie. :P
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races