New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Different RPG systems

Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    Of course, it *is* theoretically possible for a computer-based RPG to have a scripting system built into it that allows modification of the source code as far down as necessary, and have a general AI competent enough to have sufficient context to replace a GM.

However, we are nowhere near that. So while it may be true from a theoretical standpoint, it's kind of pointless when talking about the difference between computer and TT RPGs in any practical sense, probably for decades to come, at least.
    Alternatively, the Mythic GM Emulator is right there.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    Alternatively, the Mythic GM Emulator is right there.
    Hadn’t heard of it, can’t comment extensively, but reading about it I do notice “interpretation” seems to be pretty core to how it functions.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HidesHisEyes View Post
    Hadn’t heard of it, can’t comment extensively, but reading about it I do notice “interpretation” seems to be pretty core to how it functions.
    Yup, and the key thing that started this argument was that having a human interpreter "in the loop" makes TTRPGs and CRPGs fundamentally different.
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking)"

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    Yup, and the key thing that started this argument was that having a human interpreter "in the loop" makes TTRPGs and CRPGs fundamentally different.
    I would say it does make a difference, to the point that I hesitate to accept that most "CPRGs" are really RPGs at all.

They mostly/largely lack the choice space for the player character's actions and "characterization" necessary to really be the thing in question.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brandonsmith87 View Post
    The game designers didn't want dice and math-head min-maxers ruining their narrative of personal horror
    Assuming this is about vampire.

So they made the statistics of it horror too?
    If all rules are suggestions what happens when I pass the save?

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xervous View Post
    Assuming this is about vampire.

So they made the statistics of it horror too?
    To be fair, it could also be a reference to the automatic humanity loss characters suffer if they don't stop to listen to every philosophical discussion they come across.

But yeah, there's a reason that in my mind Works of Darkness had been eclipsed by Unknown Armies, and UA actually having a functional system is part of it.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    To be fair, it could also be a reference to the automatic humanity loss characters suffer if they don't stop to listen to every philosophical discussion they come across.

But yeah, there's a reason that in my mind Works of Darkness had been eclipsed by Unknown Armies, and UA actually having a functional system is part of it.
    .....pretty sure y'all are responding to a bot there, that poster is new and just replied to thread after thread with random one line comments over and over which is bot-like behavior.

WoD is good for mining for ideas for esoteric magic systems and the implications of those, but not to actually play. I think took one look at UA and just wasn't interested in it because it a hardline realist stance on combat so I'm never going to play that, that and I was never a fan of horror. But yeah, WoD has this problem where it expects you to be on the same philosophical/narrative wavelength as the developers at all times. Like I'd rather make a superhero world inspired by WoD than play WoD, because for example: Mage the Ascension reality? sounds great to have superhero fights in between the various kinds of mages running around. don't know why anyone thought this personal horror thing was a good idea for it though.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

.....pretty sure y'all are responding to a bot there, that poster is new and just replied to thread after thread with random one line comments over and over which is bot-like behavior.
    Please, I'm second order replying. Plus it's not like bots have never started decent conversations, there's that one which recently broke out of Media Discussions.

WoD is good for mining for ideas for esoteric magic systems and the implications of those, but not to actually play. I think took one look at UA and just wasn't interested in it because it a hardline realist stance on combat so I'm never going to play that, that and I was never a fan of horror. But yeah, WoD has this problem where it expects you to be on the same philosophical/narrative wavelength as the developers at all times. Like I'd rather make a superhero world inspired by WoD than play WoD, because for example: Mage the Ascension reality? sounds great to have superhero fights in between the various kinds of mages running around. don't know why anyone thought this personal horror thing was a good idea for it though.
    In the other hand I really like horror, but World of Darkness just has terrible rules.

CofD is manageable, but still not my first pick.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Mage was an attempt to make edgelord solipsistic anarchism into a game system.

"The system is out to impose its horrible suffocating 'reality' on me!" "Reality is defined by my beliefs!"
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2021-10-11 at 11:16 AM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.