New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1241 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Okay, yeah, yep. That one's on me
    To kick a dead horse, Sunny uses them to see behind them in the sixth panel.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    To kick a dead horse, Sunny uses them to see behind them in the sixth panel.
    Ooh, that's a nifty little detail! I was zipping through the comic on the first readthrough, like I always do, and got too caught up in the excitement to notice.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I can believe that it's V's best save. The point is that it makes sense for V to fail Will saves more often than Durkon does on average.
    Oh, my mistake. Yeah, I agree
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

OMG... what if the bolt that hit V was dipped in that amnesia cauldron that Serini mentioned?

What are the effects of such thing in a Wizard?

I think that may fulfill some "prophecy" that I heard here in the forum, which says that Vaarsuvius won't ever again use 9th level spells, let alone more powerful ones...
    Let me tell you, "safe" is for NPCs. I live on the edge.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Living Oxymoron View Post
    The one that wasn't done brewing when she left?
    Forum Wisdom

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Sunny the Beholder seems bubbly and naivete.
    That or being exposed to Xanathar didn't help.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

7. - Top - End - #127
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I'm not convinced Vaarsuvius has made a single successful saving throw in the entire comic. They may as well not have save bonuses.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

they passed one con check but that was it

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Dear Forumites, I want to bring up two points respectfully:
    1. If Durkon casts a healing spell in panel 4, should it have sealed the bleeding in panel 13? is an art mistake, or was it a different spell Drunkon tried?
    2. is this the comic with the most magical effect at once ever? like, WorldTimeRecordMagicalEffectsOnASinglePanel kind of prize?

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rinazina View Post
    Dear Forumites, I want to bring up two points respectfully:
    If Durkon casts a healing spell in panel 4, should it have sealed the bleeding in panel 13? is an art mistake, or was it a different spell Drunkon tried?
    In the past, healing spells have been shown to erase wounds, so I think it's pretty likely Durkon cast neutralize poison instead.

is this the comic with the most magical effect at once ever? like, WorldTimeRecordMagicalEffectsOnASinglePanel kind of prize?
    If by "at once" you mean "in the same comic", then yes, it is. I count 14 distinct magical effects*, compared to eleven in two other with the next-greatest amount of magic that I could find.

*Antimagic cone, Elan's spell, Durkon's spell, Haley's magic arrow, V's flight and light spells, prismatic spray, and seven eye rays.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Also, I thin over gone on record as this before, but housing it out again : I bet that tye IFCC does not pull V back again for the rest of the comic.
    I want to bet rather the opposite, with also an addendum.

The IFCC would take Suvie in this combat to keep hir body protected; in addition, hi would be possessed. And this would be the effect of a certainly anticipated artifact that has to take place.

a.k.a. no truly resolution of conflict, but an escalation to another level.

Also, am I right that the mysterious character with one appearance would become a prominent participant in this book? Not just an adversary, but someone more long-lasting? I remember this (and it's Sunny!!), but it might also mean Serini has to unlife asap (plus she can't be TheOldMentor figure https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.html and don't be threatened by permanent death)

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just realized #8 is probably Death Ray (huge necrotic damage, dodgable by dex) . It could also be Enervation Ray (mild necrotic damage, Constitution save) or Disintegration Ray (almost as huge force damage, Dex save).
    Profile picture made by my good friend Judas.

13. - Top - End - #133

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Thecommander236 View Post
    Just realized #8 is probably Death Ray (huge necrotic damage, dodgable by dex) . It could also be Enervation Ray (mild necrotic damage, Constitution save) or Disintegration Ray (almost as huge force damage, Dex save).
    Those sound like 5E mechanics. This is still based on 3.5.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

[*]If Durkon casts a healing spell in panel 4, should it have sealed the bleeding in panel 13? is an art mistake, or was it a different spell Drunkon tried?
    My guess is that it was neutralize poison
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    In the past, healing spells have been shown to erase wounds, so I think it's pretty likely Durkon cast neutralize poison instead.
    ah thanks so now he should use a restore strength or something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    If by "at once" you mean "in the same comic", then yes, it is. I count 14 distinct magical effects*, compared to eleven in two other with the next-greatest amount of magic that I could find.

*Antimagic cone, Elan's spell, Durkon's spell, Haley's magic arrow, V's flight and light spells, prismatic spray, and seven eye rays.
    Congrats on your commitment, friend.
    I was more thinking "in a single panel" and not including active effects, so it was kind of an easy one to think to eight rays. But I want to acknowledge your dedication by offering constructive feedback: in 638, you counted 8+1 from time stop, finger of death, shapechange. so 11. But then also the V's overland flight and the screen-TVHD should count? are 13.
    And then I wondered... but hasn't V something that still wear on hir, since the battle with the imp... and TA DA https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0624.html are 14 active magic spells.

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Also, I thin over gone on record as this before, but housing it out again : I bet that tye IFCC does not pull V back again for the rest of the comic.
    That, or something will happen when V is called the second time which will cause the third time to be entirely moot.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TRH View Post
    Those sound like 5E mechanics. This is still based on 3.5.
    I am aware, but I couldn't find the 3.5E rules description.
    Profile picture made by my good friend Judas.

18. - Top - End - #138

Quote Originally Posted by Thecommander236 View Post
    I am aware, but I couldn't find the 3.5E rules description.
    Here you go.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder if there's actually casting being done in panel 4 or if the magic auras are just there to signify "magic is back on".
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

I'm not convinced Vaarsuvius has made a single successful saving throw in the entire comic. They may as well not have save bonuses.
    It looks like V made a successful save against Laurin's psionic attack in panel 3 of Strip 935.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psepha View Post
    Ahhhhhh we're so close to the Bloodfeast awesomeness, so close!
    We ALL want to see Bloodfeast, but I have to give it to the Giants, narratively Belkar getting his lizard out but then being denied is funnier.
    Short term anyway.
    If the fight ends quickly then that's that. But if it continues naturally then it's only a matter of time.
    We have a beholder with an anti-magic zone, a creature stuck in polymorph, and a character pointing out the potential for the two to interact.
    This is a chekhov's gun waiting to go off.

22. - Top - End - #142

Thanks Giant!
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Alright, I'm sorry, but this is getting a little disappointing/stale/predictable now.

This is the third time the Order has been in a situation where a fight seemed winnable, possibly even fair by actual GM standards and could go either way, but is completely and horrifically ruined and turned upside down because "oh my god, literally no one made their saving throws".

And both those other times resulted in the Order losing the fight because of it, but only narrowly avoiding a TPK because of some external force intervening.

The stakes are lower here, since Serini doesn't actually want to kill them, but that is hardly the point here. This trope of "guys, unlucky saving throws really happen" is fine to use once or twice, but if it's your only tool at your disposal to justify your characters losing every fight at a point where they really could have won if it only weren't for their trash character optimization, I think, is starting to get a little overused for the purposes of storytelling. Does it make the twist of how they end up winning the fight any less cool? No, it doesn't, because the reveals were pretty great. But the "how did we get here" parts before each reveal is starting to get a little too telegraphed for my liking at this point.

So I guess now we sit and watch to see if yet another external force intervenes to save the Order from a fight they could have won yet again, or whether this time they actually really do lose and have to deal with the consequences of that outcome for probably half of the book or something.
    "When will I ever stop telling stories? Well, you see..."

That's what loyal teammates do for each other, isn't it? You know, when they're not busy getting new haircuts.

24. - Top - End - #144

GreenSorcererElf

Literally the only thing I see pointing away from us getting a lengthy amnesia arc is, ironically, the IFCC, who could easily short-circuit such nonsense by sending Qarr over to get everyone back up to speed. There's absolutely no narrative benefit to the Order winning here because it wouldn't change Serini's mindset about their abilities.

And honestly, I don't think the stuff they know about the Gods and their angle in all of this will be as convincing to her as the rest of y'all seem to believe, because as we saw with Redcloak, claiming a bunch of convenient stuff about the Gods and their motivations with no evidence isn't terribly compelling as far as arguments go.

"Oh, you lunkheads were given a mission from Thor himself to negotiate with the Dark One to defeat the Snarl once and for all? Yeah, pull the other one."

25. - Top - End - #145
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

1) What spell is Elan casting in panel 4?
    2) Did it go off before he got Charmed again?

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Literally the only thing I see pointing away from us getting a lengthy amnesia arc is, ironically, the IFCC, who could easily short-circuit such nonsense by sending Qarr over to get everyone back up to speed. There's absolutely no narrative benefit to the Order winning here because it wouldn't change Serini's mindset about their abilities.
    Just to quickly build upon this: This is the second time, even, where the Order were given a reasonable amount of time to prepare for significant magical bombardment.

The first instance of that not working was actually much more excusable than in this instance. They lost those protections thanks to Dispel Magic- Antimagic Field only suppresses the protection spells they could have given themselves, which means any defense they would have attempted against Xykon would have been disgustingly handwaved once a few Will Saves start flying around, like we see here.

This whole fight only serves to prove Serini's point that the Order should not be here period, since if this is how they melted vs her, they would melt even worse against Xykon, seeing as how the party is fully aware by now that their terrible saving throws are exactly why they keep losing fights, and yet they're somehow stilll completely stumped about how to buff themselves into making that less of an issue.
    "When will I ever stop telling stories? Well, you see..."

That's what loyal teammates do for each other, isn't it? You know, when they're not busy getting new haircuts.

27. - Top - End - #147

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by RickDaily12 View Post
    Just to quickly build upon this: This is the second time, even, where the Order were given a reasonable amount of time to prepare for significant magical bombardment.

The first instance of that not working was actually much more excusable than in this instance. They lost those protections thanks to Dispel Magic- Antimagic Field only suppresses the protection spells they could have given themselves, which means any defense they would have attempted against Xykon would have been disgustingly handwaved once a few Will Saves start flying around, like we see here.

This whole fight only serves to prove Serini's point that the Order should not be here period, since if this is how they melted vs her, they would melt even worse against Xykon, seeing as how the party is fully aware by now that their terrible saving throws are exactly why they keep losing fights, and yet they're somehow stilll completely stumped about how to buff themselves into making that less of an issue.
    I'm kind of interested in a thread about how many successful saving throws each Order member has made vs. unsuccessful ones over the course of the comic. It would have the problem that there's a lot of cases where it's ambiguous as to whether they made a save or not, but generally I'd expect Haley has made more successful saves than the rest of the party combined because she's constantly showing off her Evasion.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

I want to bet rather the opposite, with also an addendum.

The IFCC would take Suvie in this combat to keep hir body protected; in addition, hi would be possessed. And this would be the effect of a certainly anticipated artifact that has to take place.
    The IFCC have made it very explicit that possessing V's body would be a violation of their contract, hence their surprise that V assumed they planned on using V's body to steal the Gate or something. All they can do is jerk V out of play for enough rounds for a TPK to happen.

I imagine one of the two instances will come into play, but not both. Or, if it is both, we're going to see one of them very soon.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-07-26 at 07:26 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bguy View Post
    It looks like V made a successful save against Laurin's psionic attack in panel 3 of Strip 935.
    It looks to me like they saved against Hilgya's Chaos Hammer in #1117 as well. I know it deals half damage on neutral creatures, but it seems like V made their Will save and took only half of that.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd assume ray 8 is either death or destruction, unless Sunny is very afraid of rotting stuff. Sunny strikes me as being the kind of person to prefer non-lethal attacks, especially as Serini mentioned them being supposed to get amnesia brew instead of killing them.

Well, there is one other thing, but it's a cheap shot. Durkon, Minrah, etc recover; the party is going to get the upper hand, and then Elan recognizes Sunny as the one from the early strip, leading Sunny to be hesitant about things and just barely convincing Serini to at least give them a chance to talk.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-07-26 at 07:42 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad