New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Ghostbusters: Afterlife

A friend forwarded me this trailer for the newest Ghostbusters movie.

What do you think? I watched it with my wife and we both remembered the old cartoon Extreme Ghostbusters, where they attempted to reboot the cartoon with a new generation of ghost busters. One of the teens in that was related to Egon I think?

Anyway, so maybe this is another try at that idea. I'm interested so far. I hope it remembers to not take itself seriously. That's what I loved about the original.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ghostbusters: Afterlife

The trailer makes me nervous. It seems that they're playing too far into The Ghostbusters being practically heroes of legend. It's as if they saw that the last film didn't treat the franchise seriously enough for some people. So they're going the complete opposite direction and treating the franchise far far too seriously.

The Ecto-1 and traps seem like they're the frikkin legendary sword Excalibur right in the trailer.

Ghostbusters is a big budget Saturday Night Live Sketch about a bunch of schlubs doing an exterminator company in new york. I'm just worried the new film is missing the point.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Seems OK... Didn't impress me by any means.

I'll wait for more information before deciding whether or not I'll see this in theaters. Hopefully the original cast is treated with respect and given some cool scenes, rather than just small cameos.
    Homebrew Stuff:

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

It honestly looks like they really want to make their own Ghostbusters-branded Stranger Things rather than a paranormal comedy.

Which, well, that's not necessarily a bad idea per say. Sony/Columbia may have come to the conclusion which I happen to share that the first Ghostbusters was one of those lightning in a bottle-type events in media and they decided to go with a somewhat less risky - and less costly - formula for this one.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

StrangerBusters! Ghoster Things!

Okay, I might actually watch StrangerBusters, but only if it cast Chris Hansen.

But uh, yeah.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

BlackDragon

Yea, the Stranger Things rip off has me worried. I hate when Hollywood sees one popular idea....and then just endlessly copies it. Though this will be Stranger Things with NO '80's nostalgia...and that is like half the show, so allredy off to a bad idea here.

My big worry is that we will get a lame Kid Power Ghostbusters movie for like an hour and twenty minutes....and the Real, Adult, Ghostbusters (Including CGI spam Ghost Egon) will only get tiny camoes right at the end.

And have a super lame story...just for kids: It's the junor not-ghostbusters vs The Monster Under the Bed!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Droid Tony View Post

Yea, the Stranger Things rip off has me worried. I hate when Hollywood sees one popular idea....and then just endlessly copies it. Though this will be Stranger Things with NO '80's nostalgia...and that is like half the show, so allredy off to a bad idea here.

My big worry is that we will get a lame Kid Power Ghostbusters movie for like an hour and twenty minutes....and the Real, Adult, Ghostbusters (Including CGI spam Ghost Egon) will only get tiny camoes right at the end.

And have a super lame story...just for kids: It's the junor not-ghostbusters vs The Monster Under the Bed!
    I'd be all up for a Monster Squad inspired GhostBusters movie. Remember Ghostbusters isn't serious. Hell the whole point of it is to make fun of serious stuff. Demons and ghosts are coming to destroy the world. And it's not the military or the Church, or destined heroes that save the day, it's a bunch of working joe exterminators.

Yes they're scientists, but that's just an excuse for the tech.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

What the...? Where are the jokes? Did they forget Ghostbusters is a comedy?

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    What the...? Where are the jokes? Did they forget Ghostbusters is a comedy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Fans thought the last film didn't treat Ghostbusters as " Seriousbizzniz " So they're overcompensating

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

If the last Ghostbusters movie taught me anything it's that I'm supposed to have strong opinions about the Ghostbusters... Much to my shame, I don't.

So... I dunno... maybe I'll watch it when I have an evening free and nothing in particular I'm in the mood to watch?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Droid Tony View Post

It REALLY doesn't help that it's got one of the Stranger Things kids in it. But that's Hollywood. If there's an actor who does a thing, he's the actor who does all the things for everything forever.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

I like it. Its trying to do something different with the ghostbusters than just repeat what happened in the other films. The notion of treating the originals as figures of legend is an interesting one, and I can forgive the treatment of the gear with awe as possibly that guy just being a major fanboy which is very useful so these new people can figure out what the gear does and how to use it. I want to see more trailers that give up more information on what the storyline will look like before I say for sure but I will probably want to watch this. If only because they are trying a different angle instead of a direct clone ripoff of the original. Only gender swapped /eyeroll
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Fans thought the last film didn't treat Ghostbusters as " Seriousbizzniz " So they're overcompensating
    That's something that genuinely confused me. I thought the cast they got for the 2016 film was one of the right moves they did.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

No one really complained about the "Ghostbusters not being serious business". What people dislike is seeing beloved characters being nonchallantly killed or turned into inept idiots, failures and/or jerks just for the sake of propping up new characters.

Among the many problems with the 2016 movie is the fact that it simply isn't very funny... At best, it provides a few half-hearted laughs here and there, like any other cheap and lazy comedy, like "Paul Blart - Mall Cop" or the weaker Adam Sandler movies.

Also, while this particular trailer doesn't show any jokes, the casting alone indicates that if this movie isn't a full-on comedy, it'll at very least have a lot of comedy relief moments.

That's Paul Rudd in the trailers, FFS! He isn't exactly known for his personal rendition of Schindler's List.
    Homebrew Stuff:

15. - Top - End - #15
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    No one really complained about the "Ghostbusters not being serious business". What people dislike is seeing beloved characters being nonchallantly killed or turned into inept idiots, failures and/or jerks just for the sake of propping up new characters.
    Sounds like Ghostbusters 2.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

None of the 'beloved' characters from the first two movies appeared in the third one. And thus could not be portrayed as inept or killed off.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Sounds like Ghostbusters 2.
    Well... There's some truth to that. GB2 is... Not great.

None of the 'beloved' characters from the first two movies appeared in the third one. And thus could not be portrayed as inept or killed off.
    I can see how my post is somewhat confusing... I made an aside with a common criticism of reboots/sequels in general, but forgot to separate it from the rest of the text.

Anyway, my point is that while GB 2016 has a lot of issues, no one complained about not being "serious business". If anything, the movie has the opposite problem (among others): It isn't funny. If i didn't have the GB's name, it'd have been set aside with the likes of "Paul Blart - Mall Cop".
    Homebrew Stuff:

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it looks more promising than the first trailer for the last one. Maybe?

Which is unusual, since first trailers these days are almost always complete crap that do their movie (and later trailers) a disservice.

(Worth noting that the first trailers for quite a lot of the Marvel movies were sans jokes, too.)

(For the record? As a child of 80s, I actually liked Ghostbusters 2 (recorded off the telly and watched that so much over the years) and didn't find the 2016 movie to be terribly offensive (it were alright). Though Chris Hemsworth was by far the best thing about that movie.)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I can see how my post is somewhat confusing... I made an aside with a common criticism of reboots/sequels in general, but forgot to separate it from the rest of the text.

Anyway, my point is that while GB 2016 has a lot of issues, no one complained about not being "serious business". If anything, the movie has the opposite problem (among others): It isn't funny. If i didn't have the GB's name, it'd have been set aside with the likes of "Paul Blart - Mall Cop".
    My point is that a lot of people complained that the previous movie didn't have the proper reverence for the first film. People were upset that the actors that played the Ghostbusters were glorified cameos and not the heroes they felt that they should be.

When Being glorified cameos is exactly what you should expect for that type of film. Maybe they didn't do it well, I'm not saying that they did. But Ghostbusters is a goofy comedy. Treating it with reverence like this new trailer implies is the last thing you should be doing.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    My point is that a lot of people complained that the previous movie didn't have the proper reverence for the first film. People were upset that the actors that played the Ghostbusters were glorified cameos and not the heroes they felt that they should be.

When Being glorified cameos is exactly what you should expect for that type of film. Maybe they didn't do it well, I'm not saying that they did. But Ghostbusters is a goofy comedy. Treating it with reverence like this new trailer implies is the last thing you should be doing.
    I disagree. When Hollywood uses an existing beloved franchise's name instead of creating something new, it's done specifically in order to cash in on its fans... Which is fine.

...But they should at very least treat the beloved franchise with some respect and reverence. That doesn't mean turning comedies and popcorn action flicks into super-serious movies, but it does mean treating classic characters and setting with respect, give them a few cool scenes, have a few fun references, and so on.

It's infuriating to see a multi-billion dollar corporation trying to exploit your love for a franchise while simultaneously making fun of said franchise (and/or its fans) or ruining beloved characters to make the new ones look good by comparison.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2019-12-15 at 10:21 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

21. - Top - End - #21

I'll agree.

The 2016 film did have one neat thing in its favor: the girls had a pretty good fight sequence near the end. They used their proton packs to push and pull ghosts around in a way GB1 and 2 never really did. It was something different and I'll give them points for it.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

It's infuriating to see a multi-billion dollar corporation trying to exploit your love for a franchise while simultaneously making fun of said franchise (and/or its fans) or ruining beloved characters to make the new ones look good by comparison.
    Good thing that's never happened with Ghostbusters before, huh?
    Last edited by JadedDM; 2019-12-15 at 10:59 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Good thing that's never happened with Ghostbusters before, huh?
    Well... You can say that. I disagree. But I'll not press the issue because it's obvious where you want to take this discussion, and I honestly have no interest in hearing another rehash of that BS.
    Homebrew Stuff:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I'll agree.

The 2016 film did have one neat thing in its favor: the girls had a pretty good fight sequence near the end. They used their proton packs to push and pull ghosts around in a way GB1 and 2 never really did. It was something different and I'll give them points for it.
    Somewhat amusingly, the Ghostbusters video game from a few years prior already did that. It was a good game.

Anyway. The last two movies in this franchise were disappointing because they weren’t funny. As such I find myself not particularly enthused for this one because it doesn’t look funny.

I also don’t like children. So this shift toward a youth demographic is making me wave my cane in the air and bemoan “young whippersnappers.”

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Somewhat amusingly, the Ghostbusters video game from a few years prior already did that. It was a good game.
    That game is awesome! Hopefully it's still treated as canon...
    Homebrew Stuff:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

But I'll not press the issue because it's obvious where you want to take this discussion, and I honestly have no interest in hearing another rehash of that BS.
    Then why keep bringing it up?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

This can still be funny, as if you tried to make a trailer about the 1st movie I doubt you would be able to capture the "humor". Anyone else notice Slimer?

Spoiler
    Show
    This old house in the middle of noplace is where a huge ghost containment/trapping unit is located. Which is why no one has seen any ghosts for 30 years. And the equipment is starting to wear out/malfunction and ghosts (and other things?) are starting to escape or manifest.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

I have a vague memory of the trailer for the original Ghostbusters not being all that 'funny' either. I don't even think it was originally billed as a comedy, it had funny people doing serious things, from which comedy emerged.

So I think I'll look forward to this, more than the last one at least.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

Full disclosure: I saw the original in the theater as a kid and was obsessed. In grade school I made zines to give to my friends. I loved the movies and the cartoon (both Real, and the one based on the older tv show with the Gorilla). I liked the terrible old video games, and the newer far better game. I liked Ghostbusters 2, and I LOVED the 2016 film. I really wish we would have gotten another film with that cast, but I recognize I am in the minority there which is why we didn't. I'm going to see the new one, because there are ghosts and they will be busted, but I'm not super excited about it. I think I'm worn out on nostalgia fetishism, so hopefully this will have something else going on too.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Then why keep bringing it up?
    I didn't. I made a post, clarified what I meant when someone misunderstood it, then replied to a different post. You're the implying that I said something else about the GB franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    This can still be funny, as if you tried to make a trailer about the 1st movie I doubt you would be able to capture the "humor".
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    I have a vague memory of the trailer for the original Ghostbusters not being all that 'funny' either. I don't even think it was originally billed as a comedy, it had funny people doing serious things, from which comedy emerged.
    Not to mention that this is just the first trailer. Nowadays, trailers are treated as a movie release in and of themselves (they even get their own trailers)! It's all but guaranteed that they'll release another one in a franchise.
    Homebrew Stuff: