New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Default Dark One + Fenris= Gruumsh?

Been reading up on D&D gods a bit and while I was reading through Gruumsh, God of the Orcs, I just thought that he sounds a LOT like the two primary gods of the Goblins in OotS.

Like Fenris, Gruumsh created the Orcs to be short lived, militant and encouraged them to breed like rabbits.

Like The Dark One, he thought that the other gods screwed the Orcs out of the best territory (especially the Elves) and basically went to war with them over this (not that he was super-friendly before of course).

Just wondering if this is a coincidence or if Gruumsh was the inspiration for those two?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Dark One + Fenris= Gruumsh?

I always see him as a sympathetic take on Maglubiyet.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by masamune1 View Post
    Like The Dark One, he thought that the other gods screwed the Orcs out of the best territory (especially the Elves) and basically went to war with them over this (not that he was super-friendly before of course).
    I think that was Forgotten Realms version (keep in mind that Elves are a bit of a jerk, even starting six catastrophic wars albeit due to Lolth's influence).
    At least Obould's take, plus maybe trying to capitalize on "Orc PC" after Warcraft (either 3 or the cancelled Lord of The Clans, which was only in trailers but definitely may influence "Orcs portrayed as sympathetic" take).
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    I think that was Forgotten Realms version (keep in mind that Elves are a bit of a jerk, even starting six catastrophic wars albeit due to Lolth's influence).
    Malkizid the archdevil contributed somewhat to the sun elves's jerkishness.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Per Races of the Wild (a book for 3.5 which has Oerth as default setting), specifically page 25 under the header "Elf History and Folklore" and more specifically the subheading "Mythic Origins"...

The Seldarine used their power to cover the barren lands of the world with lush forests, tall grasses, flowers of incredible beauty, and animals of every kind. Moradin, Yondalla, and Garl Glittergold allied with the Seldarine, claiming the mountains, plains, hills, and underground areas of the new world as their own. When Gruumsh, the evil god who later fathered the orc race, realized that there was no good portion of the world left for him, he grew black with rage.
    It's a reimagining of Elven mythology to a large extent, but the stated myths do state it was the case that Gruumsh was left with scraps. It is an obnoxiously "elf-master-race"-esque section though.

P.S. In that light, TDO's story is vaguely reminiscent of Gruumsh's struggle for a home for his subjects.