New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Savage Tide Reboot IC

The Savage Tide!

The sun shines down brightly on the busy harbour front as the porters bring aboard the last of the supplies, great pallets of barley, oats and water barrels being winched into the hold of the Sea Wyvren. The crew, a swarthy bunch of brigands seem to know their business as they ready the sails, tighten ropes and test the seals on the planks. One of the men, a bearded villanous looking rogue with scars on both sides of his face an eye patch covering his left eye hangs from the stern in a pulley seat, surprisingly deft hands putting the final touches onto the fresh paint replacing the name she had been given when stolen away.

Lara and Grimgor stands quietly aboard the vessel, leaning gently against the rail of the aft castle as they watch the coming and going. Maybe 200ft out in the harbour the Blue Nixie gently bobbed at anchor,

By the side of the vessel by the ramp up Lavinia was introducing some some of the passengers as they prepared to come aboard. Leaving others stowing supplies and making sure the 3 shiny new ballista were secured safely on the deck. The first 4 are a pair of brothers - Hans and Kurt Jaeger, tough men from Sasserine who are seeking a good life in the wild new frontier. The next pair, Penolope and Luke Vedek, a pair of missionaries of Erastil seeking to civilise the savage Olman. All just smile and nod, thanking Lavinia as they come aboard.

Feres the balding priest sweats slightly as he staggers aboard with a heavy scrip containing all his possessions. A golden sword hangs from his throat indicating his loyalty to his to the golden Lady. He nods his head giving something between a bow and a nod to Lavinia. "My thanks Captain. Lady Lavinia. I thank you for passage to Fort Blackwell."

The small bearded gnome almost bounds aboard. The little gnome near enough shaking Lavinia's hand off as he scampers aboard the vessel. Shouting a welcome he practically capers on the deck looking out at the sea. constantly squints when he looks. He carries the odor of the land about with him, an odor that most find not too pleasant. He is talkative and chipper except when the subject of the natural world comes up, whereupon he flies into a frenzy of excited stuttering bliss, expounding upon obscure and often strangely fascinating (to him, at least) bits of lore. Urol has actually been to the Isle of Dread before, although his stay, in his words, was, "Unfortunately short due to events beyond my control, I might add! We've certainly nothing to fear this time around!" He looks about excited, his bags clinking with a dozen pots of vials of poisons and natural remedies.

A red haired tomboy Lirrith bounces aboard, hands resting on the hilt of her sword. Although Grimgor notices that the hands are soft and uncalloused. she smiles, "Ahoy Captain. Lady VanderBoren. I'm eager for the adventure aye!" As with the hands, and the well cut and then dirty clothes the whole appearance of her seems to be an act of sorts.

Wearing battered and scuffed leather and with a tired looking bow over his shoulder he slinks aboard with barely a glance at Lavinia.

As the noble approaches with a pair of dour looking servants Lavinia whispers to you Lara, "I'm sorry Lara. Avner is a son of House Meravanchi. I had to get loans to party finance the expedition and Lord Meravanchi insisted his youngest son Avner came to supervise his investment. He is a cad, a deviant, a deflowerer of young woman and as such I cannot him have him aboard the Nixie. Please take him aboard your vessel. Do not throw him overboard but please take him off my hands."

The young man swaggers up, an overblown bow as his two servants carry a massive chest aboard. The smug young man grinning, "Ah my good man. Point me to the master's cabin. I assume that one will be mine..

Please introduce your PCs and then we can set sail

The OOC thread
    Last edited by DrK; 2021-08-01 at 01:23 PM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Savage Tide Reboot IC

Aramus was happy to be moving onward, they city, while nice and pleasant, had it's downsides, just like any other city, and he was more at home in the wilderness anyway, D'Artagnan was in agreement as he squawked at this breakfast, a plump looking rat from the docks, looking a little startled at it's current predicament.

He stood, sliding the chair backwards making that wood on wood noise as it did so, he fished out a few coins to pay for his meager breakfast and a small tip for the waitress, the coins snapped against the table as he stretched his back from the morning grogginess of sleep, and he looked side to side gaining his bearings.

Once he found the direction of the docks, he took off, D'Artagnan flew off without a word, taking the to sky of the city screeching at any of the seagulls that got too close.

Finding the Sea Wyvren already boarding passengers, Aramus nodded at his luck, and headed towards the plank, lining up to take his turn to board. He noted everyone else was packed with luggage, chests, and bags packed full of things, all he had was his day pack, and the things on his person. Well, that and D'Artagnan.

As he got to the top he nodded to the two women, "Captain" he said to Lara "Lady VanderBoren" he said with another nod to the highborn woman, "I am glad to have been welcome on this voyage, and will endeavor to provide what assistance D'Artagnan and I can provide." with that, D'Artagnan screeched, loud enough for everyone to hear. Smiling through his glasses, he stepped on board to find a good railing to supervise.

Other than his Falcon, Aramus was a smallish man of later years, he wore glasses, and his hair was a salt and pepper mess, slightly to long, but not warranting enough to be lopped off yet, held mostly behind his head by a leather thong, he wore used, but loved, clothes, a bow on his back, and he used a staff for walking. Though, to take a guess, you think the staff was not for walking at all.

As he found the railing, which was facing out towards the sea, he rested upon it, taking in the view, and his Falcon landed silently to his left, devouring another smaller creature with it's claws and beak.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2021-08-01 at 05:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Lara leans forward on the rail as she overseas the hive of activity as her command makes ready for sea, her new captain's proudly worn at a jaunty angle.

Down on the deck below Sasha the Wyvern's long-haired half-orc siege engineer fusses over her new artillery pieces. Nearby Bellin Oakwood, the bosun, is overseeing a crew of sailors winching an enormous water leaguer through the ship's main hatch. Lara knows that below decks a dozen more of the burliest crew members will be toiling at the capstan to lower the gigantic barrel, itself more than a tonne, safely down into the hold below. By Lara's side a slender halfing woman scribbles furiously in an enormous ledger half her size as she makes notes of everything brought aboard wherever it's to be stored for the journey.

As the passengers begin to arrive Lara catches Lavinia's eye and smiles warmly at her benefactor before making her way down to greet the new arrivals. The brothers and the missionaries she welcomes aboard confidently, quickly assigning them to berths in the forecastle bunkroom as the halfling woman by her side records meticulously their names, belongings and berths.

To the priest: "It's my pleasure Mr Feres, as we're going out that way anyway. You can pick a berth in the forecastle bunkroom. The head is right there in the bow, and if you can stomach it food will be served in the ward room aft of the lower deck several times daily. If you need anything be sure to let myself or Lieutenant Alden know. Ask any of the crew and they'll be able to direct you to her. I hope you enjoy your trip with us."

To the gnome: "Ah, you've been to the Isle of Dread? Excellent! I'm sure our Sailing Master Davtrix will be delighted to hear anything you remember about the island. I believe you and he will have a lot in common. Be sure to keep those poisons secure whilst aboard - we have a secure medical cabinet in the strongroom below if you'd prefer, speak to Dr Barlow for access. Did you hear everything I told Mr Feres? Excellent. I hope you enjoy your trip with us."

To Lirrith: "A woman after my own heart! Well we'll see what we can provide in that regard. In the meantime if you'd like a chance to try your hand about ship speak to Bellin when he's free - he's the handsome elf over there with the winch crew - and we'll see where we can put you to work! Forecastle bunkroom's that way, the head is in the bow. You can get your meals in the wardroom below aft."

To the untalkative one she merely gestures towards the forecastle. After he's gone Lara makes an aside to her halfling assistant: "Kelsey, make a note to have Vindalf keep an eye on that one."

Next up, Aramus. "Ah, Aramus, Lavinia let us know to be expecting you. I look forward to working together. If you head aft from here you'll find the party accommodation under the quarterdeck. Pick one of the free cabins as you wish. We'll be taking food in the great cabin and the officer's privy is in the wing gallery. I'll have a chance to chat more later."

And then comes Avner Meravanchi. Lara sucks her lip at Lavinia's warning and the sight of his entourage - the horse in particular. "A challenge then. Alright, we'll keep an eye on him." Lara graps the arm of a passing half-orc. "Kraask, send word for the carpenter please," she instructs before turning back to greet the young noble.

"Avner, a pleasure to have you aboard," she smiles winningly, turning on the charm. "I'm Lara Dantalion and this is my ship. Certainly I think we can accommodate you. Kelsey, please inform The Master he's to move into your cabin. I know it's not ideal, but you can sling your hammock in the ship's office. Have Lord Meravanchi's chest taken below at once," Lara continues smoothly, playing off the noble's misconception about titles aboard a sailing ship. "Your servants will need to berth with the crew I'm afraid, we have a full manifest of passengers on this trip."

At this moment a tool-belted gnome woman hurries up with the half-orc Kraask in tow. "Ah, Tasha, great timing. This is Tasha Goodsong, ship's carpenter. Tasha, I need you to rig a stable for Lord Meravanchi's horse in the starboard forecastle. Put up some partition walls and as much ventilation as possible. That way he'll be able to come out on deck as weather allows. Apologise to our guests there for the disruption and help them get resettled on the port side."

"That's the best accommodation we can manage for a horse," Lara reassures Avner. "The alternative would be to put him down in the hold, but that's a miserable existence on a long sea voyage."
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-08-01 at 06:39 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Kona the Illuminated

The jet black bird-man in a Sueloise robe approaches the gangplank. He doesn't seem to be carrying anything other than his swords and a light pack. "Lara! This is the ship, yes?". No warm greeting, no appreciation for being hired on as an additional sword in case of trouble. Well, at least this "Kona" comes cheaply, even though the quality of his weapons tells a different story. He walks across, finding spot to stand on the deck where he doesn't interfere with the flow of goods and people coming onboard. "As we discussed, I am not much of a sailor, but I can be a lookout if needed".
    Spoiler: Quick stats
    Show
    Soul Candle: 5' bright light, 10' normal, allies within 15' can take 1 Temp HP (1 minute) as a swift action.
    AC 22, touch 18, FF 14, CMD 21. HP 36/36
    Perception +13, low-light vision
    Sense Motive +13
    Knowledge (Martial) +10
    Spoiler: Resource tracking
    Show
    Stance: Elemental Flux (Air: +4 dodge to AC included above)
    Active Element: Air
    Granted Maneuvers: Lance of Power, Rapid Strike
    Readied Maneuvers: Elemental Strike, Flick of the Wrist, Minute Hand, Ego-wounding Strike
    Animus: 0
    Illumination: 1
    Psionic PP: 3/3
    Psionic Focus? Y
    Semper ludens.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Using a point from the arcane reservoir to predict the weather with the weather sage exploit.

Spell list:
    0 (6): Read Magic, Detect Magic, Acid Splash, Mage Hand, Arcane Mark, Prestidigitation.
    1 (5): Magic Missile, Touch of the Sea, Alter Winds, Enlarge Person
    2 (4): Bull’s Strength, Protection from Arrows

Isaac´s evolution point will be used for Improved Natural Armor (Ex) +2 AC

A little brown catfolk of a slim build finishes speaking with a bird perched on his shoulder in a language only the two can understand by the bay as the two approach to aboard. His walk is lithe and graceful. He looks around the vessel admiring its construction and design. "Splendid work! Great taste. Well, at the very least, this makes me feel more comfortable about the journey, dont you agree?" He turns his face to the red macaw. "Oooh! I am excited to meet our new crew members. Can you imagine? We have never been in a vessel of such size!"

The catfolk nods in agreement. As the two finally walk over to meet with the crew, he takes of his hood to reveal his face. Felix greets each and every person he comes across with a smile and a vow. "Hello! Good day sir (or lady). My name is Felix Clawson and my companion here is Isaac. I hope we have a nice journey together. My services are available to everyone on board so dont be shy to ask for my assistance." And then excuses himself to meet the captain. A few times, the parrot will make one or two remarks to them mostly to compliment or share his excitement.

Felix decides its time to meet with the captain and give his first report on the subject of the weather.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, Kona! Yes, this is The Sea Wyvern. Three masts so definitely a ship, and shaping up to be a very fine one if I say so myself!" Lara greets enthusiastically, ever happy to talk about her new command.

"And definitely our berth for the voyage. However if we're talking about the ship them even I would have to admit that Lady Lavinia's Blue Nixie moored over yonder that will be accompanying us is a good deal larger than this one. But we'll see who's got it where it counts once we're at sea!" Lara jokes with a sideways grin at Lavinia.

"An extra pair of sharp eyes are always appreciated. It's a dull duty to my taste, best rotated frequently. It's an 80ft climb up to the... lookout's platform..." Damn that's unfortunate! "or we can get Bellin to rig a chair lift if you'd prefer."

"Felix! Isaac!" she notices the kitsune's approach. "Is it time for the weather already? I'm sure our employer and I would be keen to hear what you think the day has in store."
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-08-04 at 03:15 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As soon as Lara begins indulging herself into a conversation, the sound of pants and footsteps can be heard from the bottom of the ramp. As they amplify, onlookers can glimpse a rising shadowy outline until they show their full appearance; a brunet humanoid with pointed ears, monkey, gay facial features and dark tight clothing, reinforced by steel shoulder pieces. He is neither stocky nor tall, bordering the average measurement of his race. As he reveals himself, he veers to the side, bends down and huffs in repetition as one of his hands clings to the ship's rail. It is not past a minute before he stands up, his breathing resuming its normal pace. He waves at the passengers, Lavinia and Lara.

"Hello all. Lady Lavinia. Captain Lara. Sorry for my tardiness. I had to make some last minute purchases. Gotta be well-prepared for the sea. I hope I am not too late for the departure."

After the last sound escape his mouth, one of his hand scratches the back of his head as he smiles in a cheery but sheepish way, enhancing his monkey characteristics. The moment ends when he plants a hand on his chest.

"I am Tygar Foster. I look forward to working you. While I see staffed healers, an addition would not hurt. Better yet one who has experience communing with the sea to lessen its rage. The sea is benevolent yet cruel."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The arrival of a host of personalities continues throughout the morning until finally Master Thain, the heavy set ginger bearded dwarf in charge of the ship's security, orders the gangplank raised. From the shore Lavinia waves and begins heading to the skiff to take her out to the the awaiting Blue Nixie "Fare winds and safe voyage my friends" she shouts to Grimgor and Lara, "We shall try and stay together, if not we shall see you at Fort Blackwell in a fortnight or so." With that she starts getting rowed out to her own vessel moored in the shallow harbour.

Aboard the Sea Wyvren the deck is mostly full of milling people as the passengers generally get in the way of the crew bustling on deck. Only the aft and forecastle kept mostly free of people, the sky noisy as the cawing of the Kitsune's parrot challenges the shrieks of Aramus's falcon. The raven haired thin beauty that is Lt Hayley Alden mans the steering wheel as Darlin twirls his long moustache, a pipe wedged in his mouth as he commands Liza and Artemis (two young agile woman) into the rigging to unfurl the sails.

Minutes later the Sea Wyvren responds and soon begins nosing out into the warm choppy waters of Jeklea bay, and an hour later the sights and sounds of Sasserine and replaced by the whistling of the wind and the slap of water frothing and foaming under the prow, a pair of gleaming grey dolphins splashing through the water tailing the vessel. Over the course of the day the Nixie with its three masts filled with sails hoves inti a view and a flurry of signal flags are exchanged.

---

Aboard the vessel Felix consults the wind and waves and seeks to know the weather, he grins. Knowing that the weather will be blowing with steady off shore trade winds and steady wind and waves for the next days or few. Good news for the initial few days of the voyage

---

Two hours into the voyage there is a commotion that attracts the attention of all, from the kenku crouched in the crow's nest to the druid watching the hawk soar above them everyone turns as they see the young noble striding to the stairs leading up to the aftcastle where Cooper, a tough long haired half orc that looks like he belongs outside an inn bars his way. "Miss Dantalion. Where are you, blast you get out of my you brute.." he snarls at the half orc. ""Miss Dantalion, where are you. I have just learned I am not in the master cabin. Why is this the case. My family has funded most of this fleabitten voyage, and damn it I want the best cabin. Even more so, I was told I do not have private cook and will have to eat with the officers and crew like a common passenger. An outrage!!!"

On the aftcastle behind Lara, Hayley's voice drops low. "If he wants a bigger cabin we can drop him over the side and he can find a mermaid's palace..."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Kona the Illuminated

Kona sighs at the commotion below. He briefly focuses on the arbitrary distinction between vertical and horizontal, swings over the rim of the crow's nest, and clambers down the mast as if it was a slope, not a vertical smooth pole, arriving on the deck shortly. His relaxed demeanor doesn't project any aggression, as he seeks around for Lara, loking to stand beside her in this conflict.
    Spoiler: Game speak
    Show
    Swift action to change stance to Unbroken Stride, double moves with 20' spider climb gets Kona to the deck in two rounds.
    Show
    Soul Candle: 5' bright light, 10' normal, allies within 15' can take 1 Temp HP (1 minute) as a swift action.
    AC 18, touch 14, FF 14, CMD 17. HP 36/36
    Sense Motive +13
    Knowledge (Martial) +10
    Show
    Stance: Unbroken Stride (water walking, spider climb 20)
    Readied Maneuvers: Elemental Strike, Flick of the Wrist, Minute Hand, Ego-wounding Strike
    Psionic Focus? Y
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2021-08-04 at 02:33 AM.
    Semper ludens.

10. - Top - End - #10

AssassinGuy

Tygar is watching the ocean when a loud voice stirs him to move to the source of it. There, he sees the arrogant, young noble he was introduced to trying to claw his way past a half-orc to the stairs. The long hair half-orc is able block the aristocrat's feeble attempt to bypass him with his hands and body. The cleric leans his head a little to the front.

"I heard noise. What seems to be the problem?"

Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+6)[17]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Felix explains his prediction of the weather with Lara after presenting himself. "If there is anything else I can do. I am always at your service." Felix adds. He is glad that it seems like it will be a pretty nice journey and so far, he has been well receieved.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Felix and Isaac watch from the sidelines the current commotion wondering about the reason behind the raquet. "Should we get involved?" Isaac replies excited to jump into action. "Lets just watch for a bit. If things go south, we will get involved." Felix explains himself the best he can.
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Aramus wheeled around, his forearms going from being leaned on, to supporting his torso as he continued to lean on the railing, he frowned, he disliked these pompous nobilitas, but...well, who did exactly?

Sighing he stepped forward, D'Artagnan flying up above somewhere.

Moving towards the young noble he opens his arms "Ah, Welcome Master Meravanchi," he says bringing his arms down and nodding slightly, "From what I've heard, you have the best cabin already, big doesn't always mean better, believe me on that. Did you fund this directly from your personal funds? I thought your household funded the trip." he answers quickly, "Master Meravanchi, a boat is a small place, especially when one is....not being friendly, and might I suggest, you be a little more friendly? there are a lot of....brutes aboard, and while I will do my ever best to keep an eye out for you, I cannot be everywhere, this is no threat my young master, merely a truth of the world, I have lived long enough to learn this terrible truth, say, do you like fish? I could have my companion fish you out a fresh one and we can cook it up, nothing like a fresh fish cookout to even the playing field." he says with a grin.

With a whistle, he commands D'Artagnan to go fishing.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2021-08-04 at 04:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Kona blinks impassively. "You are a long way away from your father's money, oaf, and their power is only going to wane on this journey", he thinks to himself.
    Semper ludens.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

To be honest Lara had been expecting this outburst, she just hadn't thought it would take him this much time to figure it out. With her hands held smartly behind her back, Lara waves her fingers so Haley knows she'd consider her suggestion. With an inward sigh she steps forward, waving the half-orc to stand aside. "Thank you Cooper, that won't be necessary."

"Avner, you already have the best available cabin," Lara takes a placating but not entirely unexasperated tone "Moreover, you asked for it specifically. 'The Master's Cabin', you said. Our Sailing Master Davtrix and Kelsey have both kindly suffered substantial inconvenience to accommodate you."

Maybe he's capable of feeling some sense of shame? Who knows. Behind Lara on the quarterdeck the normally grouchy Davtrix looks extra scowly.

"Unfortunately nobody onboard has a private cook, however delightful that would be, but as our honoured guest you are of course welcome to take meals prepared by the officer's steward in with my colleagues and I. If you'd rather dine alone then I can have him bring your meals to your cabin, or you can use the ward room when it's not in use."

"And please, call me Lara. Or else I'll insist you call me Captain," she jests with a quirked eyebrow.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy (1d20+12)[20]
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-08-05 at 09:32 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

The rich fool puffs and grumbles, looking daggers at the kenku who's tongue was as sharp as his beak before nodding to the tall woman on the aft deck. "As you say Mistress Lara, I will accept then that my cabin is the Master's cabin. As long as we understand that my wine stores are not for general consumption."...

With the moaning noble taken care of the Sea Wyvren plunges through the waves a few chains away from the Blue nixie, the elves aboard the Wyvren roaming the rigging like acrobatic circus performers. Its an exciting couple of days as the pair of ships plunge through the bay of Jeklea, each day the sun dawns bright in the sky and strong off shore trade winds drive the boats east across the sea.

As the boats cruise off the coast Urol excitedly joins you on deck one morning bouncing slightly from foot to foot with excitement. When asked he smiles and gestures to the shore, his little green hat bobbing up and down on his head. "It exciting, have a look at the shore soon." he points ahead at a dark smudge of forest. "The great web. Tens of miles of forest enveloped in webbing, its said that an ancient Olman spider demon cursed the valley and that at the heart is a golden temple with 8 towers, but of course no-one has seen it for the miles of spider infested forest."

He grins more excited to be speaking with anyone close by. "We will see some other sites on the voyage as well. There is the burning, where a valley was set ablaze and an entire tribe was sacrificed plus the wyvrens of the Jagged Cliffs..." The little gnomes seems aglow with excitement.

-----

OOC optional stops...
    * The spider forest
    * The sacred forest (lizardmen sacrifices and petrified trees)
    * The burnt pit
    * The wyvren jagged cliffs

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Kona the Illuminated

Kona listens attentively to the gnome's ramblings. "Most of those places sound like a threat to the entire enterprise. Would they be easier to approach from the sea than from land, do you think?"
    Show
    Sense Motive +13
    Knowledge (Martial) +10
    Show
    Psionic Focus? Y
    Semper ludens.

17. - Top - End - #17

AssassinGuy

Tygar shrugs as Aramus and Lara's voice overlaid his. Seeing them calming the agitated noble down, he gives the two a nod before slipping back to his spot. The following days, he follows the repetitive routines of chatting to crew members and looking at the sea. It is not until the gnome rambling about interesting site the Sea Wyvern will come across causes him to move closer to Urol and tilts his forward.

"Sounds fun."

His face shifts to one up his natural disposition; mouth open to a fuller smile that shows his pearls, eyebrows slants inverse, relaxed. His tone, on the other hand, is laden with sarcasm and apathy.

"Any of us want to stop at any of these locations for sightseeing and exploration?"

In a flash, the cleric's face defaults back to normal, taming his smile and aligning the eyebrows back to an upside down "U." His tone resets back to the usual curiosity and amicability. He turns to address at the party and anyone listening in.

"If we are not in a rush to go the the Isle of Dread, I would like to stop by the Sacred Forest. I am interested in the history of the site and the lizardmen."
    Last edited by Yas392; 2021-08-09 at 09:34 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

As the web shrouded shore slips past an order goes out to the sail master and a flurry of signal flags ae exchanged between the Nixie and the Wyvren as the sails loosed and the Nixie slowly settles on the sea a few hundred feet off the rocky coast. Bellin, the lanky elf in charge of the sails waves at the shore, a shouted "I can see a path up from the cliff face, it would be a climb but there is a collapse you could scramble up."

Back on the deck Liza Highstar the deck chief, with tatoos covering her lean arms and neck shouts to the deck crew as they lower the small rowing boat into the water with a few handy pulls on the ropes where it bobs alongside. 300ft away you can see the rocky collapse in the cliff side that Bellin pointed out. A collapse of sorts has left a small rocky beach and a steep rocky scree slope that you could creep up and reach the tropical jungle that runs right up the cliff face, tropical plants, orchids and vines dangling down from the lip of the cliffs. Smothering it all however like a low hanging fog is thick strands of webbing draped like curtains between every available branch and tree. From here you cannot see much moving although you can be sure that there must be many spiders in there.

Aboard the deck Lt. Hayley looks at Lara, "Well Captain, we can wait here, Cooper and Kraask can row you in" she offers pointing at two brooding green skinned half orcs with long muscular arms. The two half orcs grumble something under their breath and slide down the rope ladder into the boat. Urol looks at Lara with a grin, "Ohh, ohh, my word this is highly exciting. Who knows what you might find. If you see this sign..." and as he waves his finger in the air a glowing spiderlike symbol appears, "It is the ancient Olman symbol of Catazotz, the Spider God. But have a care, he was a dark and evil god." Offering some feather quills and some fine vellum paper he looks to Kona and the wise seeming Aramus, "Please, I would appreciate any sketches you could make."

OOC
    Who wants to go ashore into the Spider Forest?

19. - Top - End - #19

AssassinGuy

Tygar looks at the party.

"Anyone wants to go ashore and explore this forest?"
    Last edited by Yas392; 2021-08-09 at 04:40 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Grimgor Ghoulsbane, Dwarven Warder

Departure

As the two ships of the expedition received the last stores and passengers, a stout dwarf stood near the Captain of the Sea Wyvern and the noblewoman leading the journey. Hovering would be a more apt description, as he eyed anyone getting close. He seemed the typical dwarf - broad of shoulder, wide of waist and short of stature. His skin is tanner than many of his people, having spent more time outdoors than underground in recent years. His legs and arms were thick and muscles, while huge hands held a long pike loosely. His blue eyes scanned the docks, the ship and the surrounding waters, but snapped immediately to anyone approaching Lara or Lavinia. He occasionally stroked his black beard, a steadying move for one used to violence.

He didn’t speak as Lara greeted their passengers. He held his tongue when the little lordling attempted to throw his weight around. He even restrained himself from boxing the lad’s ears. He not visibly relaxed once they were away, and even then his eyes drifted to the Nixie. He had told Lara his concerns about leaving Lavinia without protection; he knew she had other retainers, but he trusted few others to guard the woman as well as he or Lara could.

But it wasn’t his decision...

Arriving at the Isle

Peering out at the island, Grimgor listened to the others banter about the possibilities of the island and where they might land and which mysteries they would investigate. He snorted to himself as he stared at the coastline, knowing whatever rumors or myths had been heard would be far from the ugly truth. As the question of where to go hung in the air, Grimgor spoke , his words for the Captain, but loud enough for others to hear. ”So Cap’n ... Yer eyeing’ them shores like ye’ve a mind t’land. WoT’s got yer fancy, and how kin it help th’Lady’s mission?”
    Show
    Sorry for the delay but I’m in finally!
    Status
    HP 55 / AC 24 (18) CMB/D +7/18
    F +6 R +5 W +8 Init +4 (+6) Move 20’

Skills: Perception +14; Diplomacy +13; Sense motive +12; Acrobatics +6; Religion +6; Climb/Swim +2 (+7 w/o armor); craft Weapons/Armor +5; Bluff +5; Intimidate +3
    Known maneuvers: Encouraging Roar (B; w/in 30’ +2 att/dam, 3rnds), Defending the Pride (B; w/in 60’ +4 AC, 3rnds), Enduring Shell (C; add shield to Fort/Ref saves), Warning Roar (C; use Dip check vs at attack to protect ally w/in 60’), Panthera on the Hunt (w/charge, gain +2 att/dam, no AOO), Tactical Strike (add 1d6 dam; with successful att, ally gets free 10’ move), Bronze Lancet Charge (w/charge, add 1d6 dam; no AOO), Piercing Strike (gain 5’ reach, can attack 2 adjacent targets), Throwing Thunder (throw weapon, add 2d6 dam, DC16 Ref or target is prone), Greater Snapping Turtle (add 3d6, ignore DR)
    Readied Maneuvers: Encouraging Roar, Defending the Pride, Enduring Shell, Warning Roar, Greater Snapping Turtle
    Stances: Silver Crane Waltz (+4 Init; +2 Ref/AC); Running Hunter’s Stance (+10’ move, gain scent); Primal Fury Stance (+1 size for CMD/B, vs size-based attacks - weapon counts as +2 sizes; ignore diff terrain when charging)
    Weapons: Dwarven pike (+8, 2d6+4, x3/20); Lucern hammer (+8, 1d12+3, x2/20)
    Effects: Silver Crane stance, Darkvision 60’
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Aramus watches the captain assuage the young noble with ease, he may have underestimated her, and he was happy for it, it was much more encouraging to know he was surrounded by capable people for once.

After dining on some kippers D'Artagnan fished out of the bay as they left, the cook doing a wonderful, but simple pan fry, he tossed the fish bones back into the sea, and cleaned up, watched the coastline as everyone else did, and his eyes widened as Urol started to talk about the ancient spider deity. He nodded to the gnome, his own interest spiked, "Indeed master Urol, I will endeavor to look for anything related" he replied, "I think I would like to go ashore, if anyone else would like to come? Spiders have a propensity to scare people off, so I'm assuming there might be some interesting, untouched things in there"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Felix was hearing about the discussion though remaining quiet to hear and analyze for himself what could be potentially interesting. The moment he hears about treasure, he perks up his ears and joins the conversation. "That indeed sounds interesting. I wouldnt mind having a look for myself." Isaac isnt exactly thrilled by the idea. "I hate spiders. And their webs make it hard to fly."
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

"A spider-filled forest nobody goes to is sure to have some tall-old trees that we could make into spare masts," Lara concedes, eyeing the treeline. "On a long journey I'm sure Tasha would rest easier knowing we had a spare or two in the hold. And a bit of spider-slaying would be good for bringing our team together..."

With the general assent of the party, Lara has Lt Alden set The Sea Wyvern at anchor in about five fathoms a short distance offshore. "This is hostile territory, so no shore leave," Lara tells her. "If I spot a suitable-looking tree we'll send up a signal. Have the carpenter come ashore with a crew to drag it out and an armed escort. We'll leave some lines rigged on the cliff to make the ascent easier. If you haven't heard from us two noons from now you're to take command and continue the journey with Nixie."

After being rowed ashore, Lara sends the two half orcs back to the ship with the jolly boat for safety, tucking her captain's hat into her belt once they're gone. "I'm not the captain ashore," she explains. But she does have a suggestion:

"Alright, Kona, I saw you climbing the masts like gravity isn't a thing earlier. Would you mind taking some lines up and rigging them to the cliff face? That'd make this a whole lot easier."

24. - Top - End - #24

AssassinGuy

Hearing some approval to the land before them, Tygar excuses himself to meditate for his daily spells. When he is done, he joins the others, landing on the shores of the forest after any and every preparation of the crew prior rowing to the land.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Kona the Illuminator

Kona caws his assent to the suggestion, grabs a line, and swiftly walks up the steep cliffside.
    Show
    Sense Motive +13
    Knowledge (Martial) +10
    Show
    Psionic Focus? Y
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2021-08-11 at 01:47 AM.
    Semper ludens.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Grimgor Ghoulsbane, Dwarven Warder

Grimgor nodded once, mostly to himself. He gathered his gear and joined the team aboard the row boats. Upon reaching the shore, he stepped forward and unhooked his pike, lowering the blade as he took up a protective perimeter. He moved back and forth eyeing the trees before he stepped back to join the others. He glanced up and shook his head in bemusement, the sight of a bird man clamoring up the side of the mountain style him as humorous.

OOC - Watching for threats, waiting for a strong rope.
    Perception - (1d20+14)[19]

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show

HP 55 / AC 24 (18) CMB/D +7/18
    F +6 R +5 W +8 Init +4 (+6) Move 20’
    Skills: Perception +14; Diplomacy +13; Sense motive +12; Acrobatics +6; Religion +6; Climb/Swim +2 (+7 w/o armor); Craft-Weapons/Armor +5; Bluff +5; Intimidate +3
    Spoiler: Known maneuvers
    Show
    Encouraging Roar (B; w/in 30’ +2 att/dam, 3rnds), Defending the Pride (B; w/in 60’ +4 AC, 3rnds), Enduring Shell (C; add shield to Fort/Ref saves), Warning Roar (C; use Dip check vs at attack to protect ally w/in 60’), Panthera on the Hunt (w/charge, gain +2 att/dam, no AOO), Tactical Strike (add 1d6 dam; with successful att, ally gets free 10’ move), Bronze Lancet Charge (w/charge, add 1d6 dam; no AOO), Piercing Strike (gain 5’ reach, can attack 2 adjacent targets), Throwing Thunder (throw weapon, add 2d6 dam, DC16 Ref or target is prone), Greater Snapping Turtle (add 3d6, ignore DR)

Readied Maneuvers: Encouraging Roar, Defending the Pride, Enduring Shell, Warning Roar, Greater Snapping Turtle
    Stances: Silver Crane Waltz (+4 Init; +2 Ref/AC); Running Hunter’s Stance (+10’ move, gain scent); Primal Fury Stance (+1 size for CMD/B, vs size-based attacks - weapon counts as +2 sizes; ignore diff terrain when charging)
    Weapons: Dwarven pike (+8, 2d6+4, x3/20); Lucern hammer (+8, 1d12+3, x2/20)
    Effects: Silver Crane stance, Darkvision 60’
    Last edited by Starbin; 2021-08-11 at 01:17 AM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

The row boat splashes back to the ship, the two half orcs both shaking their heads and staring Arthur trees shrouded in thick webbing.

As Kona scales the scree easily he reaches the top and gets a good look at the jungle. The plants were as lush and thick as expected but with the heavy blanket of webs that hang from trees or coat the canopy it’s very quiet, the normal sounds of birds or small monkeys seemingly absent

Dropping a rope ladder down the rest of the shore party is able to clamber up easily enough and join the kenku on the narrow strip of land at the cliff top before the thick large trunked trees begin. As eyes look around nervously nothing bigger than small (well up to hand sized) spiders are visible. With no obvious direction you could choose to plunge straight into the jungle or walk parallel to the cliff tops to the east or west for a while to look for a gap or anything interesting

As you consider the heat hammers down at you all, close, humid and hot. With the sun still to rise you know it will only be hotter later

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Kona the Illuminator

Kona looks around nervously. "These...kind-of-big spiders didn't create all these webs, did they? Something bigger did." He closes his eyes for a long, deep breath, and his black feathers take on a sheen. He draws his swords and lines up with Grimgor.
    Show
    Sense Motive +13
    Knowledge (Martial) +10
    Show
    Stance:Elemental Flux (Earth, +2d6 acid damage, resist acid 15, DR 5/adamantine)
    Active Element: Earth
    Psionic Focus? Y
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2021-08-12 at 07:09 AM.
    Semper ludens.

29. - Top - End - #29

AssassinGuy

Tygar retrieves his bow and a quiver of arrows to arm himself. He slinks to the rear position, using cover and his party to hide himself from hostile eyes.

Stealth: (1d20+6)[16]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Aramus nods as the decision to go ashore was reached, he waited patiently for the boat to be lowered into the water, almost jumping into the water but dismissing that thought, it would have been nice, but a wasteful frivolity.

D'Artagnan flew above, he was a little concerned, spiders were not good for birds, especially big ones. He instructed D'Artagnan to stay near the cliff side, and go no further into the forest, he would not be responsible for his friends demise. Once up the cliff, he un-slung his bow, and nodded to the others.

Spoiler
    Show

D'Artagnan knows the stay trick.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2021-08-12 at 11:36 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A