New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Drk Crimson Throne IC part 2

As you mention the widow and her daughter Jasnan and Mary Lou have a quiet conversation near the bar before they come back, looking at the tired looking woman. Mary Lou is the first to speak, "I'm so sorrt to hear of what happened on the road ny dear. Look, my farm ain't much, but my Albert is 6 years dead now and sometimes the work is a lot for me and the local help. It need not be permanant but come and stay on the farm. If you can help on the farm that'll earn you keep and you can help Tiadora settle in eh?"

The woman looks at Cassian and the others and then at Mary Lou and bursts into tears, thankful to the gods for the generosity and promises to do the best she can do. Jasnan watches Mary Lou, the widow and her daughter and Tiadora heading off and looks back at the rest of you shaking his head. "Mary Lou is a kind lady bless her soul. Lost her husband to plauge and 2 sons to bandits but she still keeps the farm going."

he bids you all a good day and lets you enjoy meals and a drink as you ready to set off back to Korvosa in the morning. Its a long few days as you rumble back down the road that you've just come up, passing the site of where you headed up the road and the improptu graves and and where the wargs attacked you. A few days of hard travel later you can see the small Inn in "Trotts" again, although this time you can see in the distance from the smudge on the horizon that is Korvosa a great plume of dark smoke. The wagon yard of the wayside inn is filled to bursting with dozens of farm wagons, merchant trains and several groups of city watch, although troublingly you can see each one is led by a proud looking female figure in womanly shaped full plate with a red cloak and a full face helm, Gray Maidens!

As you pull your wagon to a halt a merchant's guard sat leant against a wheel of a large merchant caravan carrying large crates marked with "Magnimarii Trading House" looks up at you with a wry grin and salutes with his tankard of ale. "Heading to the city? Have a care, the yellow quarantine flags are out and they are burning the poor by the dozen in the Gray. Some disease broke out in Old Korvosa and been spreading for the past week, ripping through the city... My master holding here till he see's if the ole' Church of Abador or Queen Illeosia can get it under control." Motioning to the packed yard he shrugs, "Get used to sleeping under the wagon friends, there be no room at this Inn."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Drk Crimson Throne IC part 2

Ciraneoth managed to get some chainmail at the market before they moved back to Korvosa. He was still getting used to the weight when they arrived at the last inn before Korvosa.

"I'm used to sleeping outside," he said to the others, "no problem for me. And I think we best wait as well. A disease running through a city is a city you don't want to be in."
    In fact he didn't really want to go to Korvasa at all, so any excuse was a good excuse.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred will have had this discussion on the way back

I don't think we need to burden the good Marshall with the details of Tiadora's situation, that's a matter between us and Vencarlo. She doesn't need to know, and that way any magical test or compulsion she will pass

++++++++++

At Trotts:

She will try an get more details about the situation in Korvosa, specifically why the Grey Maidens are commanding the Watch patrols and if the Marshall is still in charge

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

(1d100)[72] Gossip 44
    (1d100)[63] FP if necessary

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Heading back to Korvosa

"That seems like a sound plan," Cassian agreed with Winifred. "The less the Marshall knows, the safer she will be, I should think."

At the inn

"Is the entire city in quarantine, or only the poorer quarters?" he asks the guard.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Heading back to Korvosa

When the group was alone, 'It's certainly safer out here if someone's actually trying to kill you but I'm not sure I could stand to live in a place like that for very long.'

In reply to Cassian, 'Exactly. Knowing the details will only cause her problems.'

At the Inn

'Don't these things often expand beyond the zone quarantined anyway? Perhaps we can get lucky and the right people get sick.' He'll will ask the guard, 'Do you happen to know the details of this disease?'

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Talking to the caravan guards, the serving wenches and a few of the others Winfred and Cassian managed to pick up a few more hints and rumours from the City about what has been happening for the past week or so when you've been out o the city.... The inn room is awash with rumours, as many of the farmers and merchants discuss the risks of whether they head into the city or not. A few farmers returning from the city are given a clear berth and told to sit in one cormer where they are watched with suspicoun for any red eyes, coughs or signs of bleeidng gums. For Cassian's answer one of the guards shakes his head, "he city still be open. Queen Illosia not been seen in 3 days and the Gray Maidens taking over the gates to make sure trade still occurs. The rich are heading in their estates and the poor are dying by the dozens."

THrough the course of the evening as you share a few beers and keep them coming to "lubricate" the conversation you hear a range of rumours (also strike of 6 shillings for the inn, stabling and food)

• That plauge came from some Nidalese frigate that swept into the harbour a week ago... Harbour trebuchets smashed it
    • THe blood veil be deadly. Its judement of the Gods for old King Eodred's Death
    • Temple of Abador has a cure for the rich. Its why they closed temple doors
    • Bloodveil came off Old Korvosa. Grey Maidens will be burning the bridges anyday soon
    • The red-veil ain't nautral. Those dirty sewer were-rats been spreading it
    • Queen Illosea been planning to hekp. She's got some fancy doctors in from out of town and they be going to cure us
    • Lots of peddlers lying about a cure. But Lavendar Lux has got one taht works. Best get there fast 'afore she runs out
    • You can make good coin haulin' bodies for Church Pharasma to the Gray fer burning. Jus watch for some folk who just be dumping them in alleys and the like

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Ciraneoth would get something to eat and then head back out to talk to the teamsters and other rougher people out there. He feels much more at home with them than with the city folk and the feeling is probably mutual.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"It cannot be helped. I must enter the city and find out if my family is alright, and Vencarlo will wish to know that our mission was successful," Cassian says to the others, speaking low enough so that he cannot easily be overheard. "If the rest of you prefer to wait out the plague out here, I will not hold it against you, nor will anyone else I suspect."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Agreed

If we can help we should be there

Also Barvasi still needs to die

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

'With you on Barvasi. Short of hiding out in the wilderness which I'm generally opposed to I'm not sure if there's an easy way of avoiding exposure. I'm sure between us we can afford a doctor if the worst happens.'

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"How about you, Ciraneoth? Will you join us or stay outside the city walls for now?" Cassian asked the elf.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I'd prefer to stay outside," Ciraneoth said, "but then again, I've never been very fond of cities, no matter where they are and especially if they're full of disease. But if they're scum to be killed, I'm probably quite useful as I can do so at a distance. So I'll join you, but we best take precautions and avoid any contact that's not necessary."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Well then - I suggest we enter the city and go to my family's town house. I believe my grandfather will not mind providing you all with a roof over your heads, at least for a few days," Cassian suggests.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

After gathering information and stopping for meal the wagon rolls on for the last few miles towards the massive city walls and sprawling chaos of Korvosa. The city looks ominous, a wide grey expanse with the Citadel atop the ziggurat in the centre. Alongside the red and black diamond flags bearing the hippogryph every second or third tower bears the yellow flag warning of disease and multiple pyres centred on the west and east around where you now the Gray and Old Korvosa lie within the walls. In the heart of the city the black and ed flies over the citadel and you can faintly see a glowing pulsing golden dome holding steady hanging over the Acadamae.

The queue at North gate is short as the evening sun approaches and you can all see a veritable city of tents and scruffy bivouacs where hundreds of people have been cast out or where to go in. As you wheel down the road you can feel the eyes of them looking at you gauging your wealth. In amongst them you can hear and see about 1 in 3 are collapsed in stupours, skin blotched, eyes red and bloodshot and blood leaking from their eyes and ears as they lie in their thin blankets either moaning piteously or coughing up bloodied phlegm...

The guards on the gate are led by a plate clad womanly figure with a faceless mask on her helm and a long red cloak. But its the usual guards that approach you bearing the blue uniforms and hippogryph crest of the City GUard. Of the half dozen guards at the gate its a tough grizzled older solider with a thick full beard partially obscured by a scarf pulled tight around face who slants his halberd across the gate "Who goes there, what business have you in the city? Are ye blind? Can you not see the city is in crisis."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"It's hard to miss, good sir, but Korvosa is our home and we all have friends or family in the city. We are concerned for their health and safety, and wish to see how they fare. We have discussed the risks and are prepared to take our chances," Cassian answers the veteran.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred lets Cassian do the talking and waits patiently looking clean and respectable

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Andrei will add, 'I may have business at the Acadamae at some point. Would you happen to know if they've sealed themselves off from the rest of the city.'

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Ciraneoth kept silent, but also kept looking around. He wondered how things would go in the city and if anybody would still remember them.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

The guard pulling the cloth over his face nods to Andrei, "The Academae is sealed. The walls vibrate with power, not the rain nor smoke touche's em and the doors be sealed. I saw the ill banging on the door and the first few shook with lightning and melted! Guess that were a cure of sorts." The guard offers as he steps back allowing you in. Heading down the main road into the North Point district the city is very different. The streets are quiet, alleys chocked with people covered in red blotches wrapped in clothes that eye you warily, a few shops remain open, but they are quiet and heavy with incense or with strange charms hanging in the doorways.

As you trot through the now quiet streets into the market square.... Where do you plan on going?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"We should make for my family home - it's not far from here," Cassian repeats his earlier suggestion.

OOC: I established that Cassian's family settiled in North Point in his background, and that's the district we just entered, right?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

As you wish

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    "We should make for my family home - it's not far from here," Cassian repeats his earlier suggestion.
    'Fair enough. We can check in with someone trustworthy to see what they can tell us.'

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Ciraneoth had put some cloth in front of his face to keep the bad air out and he followed the rest of the group. He's not really at home in a city, so he'll let the others take the lead for now, while he kept looking out for trouble, hoping it wouldn't find them but he wanted to be ready when it did.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Its only a short roll through the streets towards the solid town house and the large gates with Cassian's house crest over the brickwork. In that time you see two patrols of the city watch, a couple of them you recognise and they nod to you. One of them, a bearded veteran who's surcoat strains across his belly nods and waves, but keeps his distance. "Kroft's favourite children is it... You be gone fer a ten day or so. Good timing to leave eh... We are overwhelmed down in the barracks. Kroft would be happy to see you again I'm sure, especially with them Maidens taking half the woman guard." He doesn't get a chance to say much more as there is a shout from the patrol leader and the fat guard nods in an affable way before waddling off.

At the gates to Cassian's estate he stops to bang on the door. A long delay before a barked "Go away. We are sealed. The veil." (clearly meaning bloodveil) But you say who you are there is a shout of excitement and there is the heavy clunk of the wooden crossbar being moved and the gate swings open to reveal a pair of house guards and Cassian's father on the other side. "Son, what are you doing here? I had thought you'd left the city. Why did you come back, why did you risk the veil..."

He looks at Cassian's comrades carefully "Are any of you sick, any of you ill. I must ask. We sealed the gates 6 days ago when the veil started to spread from Old Korvosa and a 5 day after that accursed ship tried to sneak into the harbour." He stops there, waiting and watching you all carefully

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Please convey the Marshall our compliments and we will attend upon her as soon as possible

++++++

Winifred again says nothing at the entrance to the estate, beyond attempting to look clean and respectable

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Its only a short roll through the streets towards the solid town house and the large gates with Cassian's house crest over the brickwork. In that time you see two patrols of the city watch, a couple of them you recognise and they nod to you. One of them, a bearded veteran who's surcoat strains across his belly nods and waves, but keeps his distance. "Kroft's favourite children is it... You be gone fer a ten day or so. Good timing to leave eh... We are overwhelmed down in the barracks. Kroft would be happy to see you again I'm sure, especially with them Maidens taking half the woman guard." He doesn't get a chance to say much more as there is a shout from the patrol leader and the fat guard nods in an affable way before waddling off.
    After hearing that, 'Apparently the Maidens don't care that much about keeping the peace.'

At the gates, 'I'd like to think we haven't been back in the city for long enough to get sick. Would you prefer it if we remained outside?'

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"No father, there was no blood veil when we left and we only just returned today. The only people we've spoken to were the guards at North Gate and some merchants who had yet to enter the city. We came directly here, so we should be safe. Everybody, this is my father Naxos. These are Andrei, Miss Winifred and Ciraneoth. They too were wronged by Gaedren Lamm and after we'd dealt with him we've all been aiding Marshall Kroft in her duties," Cassian explains.

"I promised them a roof over their heads while we get our bearings, but I understand if you don't want to risk us bringing sickness into the house. I'm sure there'll be a spot for us at the Guard barracks."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Ciraneoth nodded, but kept silent otherwise, looking around at the house and the surroundings.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Cassian's father shakes his head and then embraces his son. "I was worried about you. In all of this mayhem, be you in the guards or just out in the city things have not been safe." he says sadly as he beckons you in and calls for a servant to deal with wagons. "Come, come, rooms we have, water for a bath and fine food and wine". Welcoming you back into the manor he leads you inside and soon enough servants take you to rooms in the guest quarters apart from Cassian who can head to his childhood room...

An hour or so later after you are all relaxed and fresh following a warm bath you gather in the small library. Cassian's father sitting on one of the two large sofas. "Welcome and rest. Wine and cheese for anyone?" he offers before he joins you. "What has brought you back to the city my boy? If you were safe outside why did you risk your life coming in? Are you aware of whats been happening in the city over the past week or so?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Winifred will take the offered room and bath, be polite to the servants and tip well because drawing a bath is hard work. She will make it clear that she knows that because she has done it herself and will engage them in the time honoured tradition of gossiping about their employers

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

(1d100)[77] Gossip 64 + whatever a few shillings gets her

In the Library she will remain polite and quiet, use the right cutlery and let Cassian do the talking