1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DrK Wrath Righteous Reboot OOC

So far candidates:
    Jessica a Paladin.
    Desdemona a Rogue
    Raizus, Kensai Magus
    Daniel, a bard

Bardic Inspiration would stack with my ragesong since we affect different things. But we don't have a rogue either.

Not a bad crew to pick from.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Strange tubes are jammed into his veins and lead ina tangle of disgusting red piping across the floor and snake down the stairs on the far side of the 50ft diamater tower.
    Can anyone comment on where these finally go and what they seemingly do?

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

As we have 5-6 reasonable looking PCs to fill our two slots please let me know, either in this thread, or via PM/discord who your top two picks would be.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know... Lady Paladin? Can't come up with a strong second preference.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by In4Dimensions View Post
    I am so very sorry for dropping this game; college has been kicking my ass recently and this just completely slipped my mind. I think it would be for the best if I didn't rejoin, so I hope the re-recruitment and the rest of the game goes well!
    Good luck with the studies and hope to see you back in games at some point when it calms down (I can vaguely remember Uni in the dim mists of my memory)

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

I'll be giving my preferences via DM.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

Both Paladins?
    Lady Jessica and Seran

If we only accept one paladin, Lady Jessica and Daniel are my favs.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

What time of day is it now, DrK?

If we can get the Nyserian Manner in in what remains off the day we should, as Tali's probably down enough resources that we wouldn't want to assault the Gray Garrison today, but she's still got enough to cover one side quest probably.

But if it's late enough that we need to be resting overnight, then we should skip the manor and hit the Gray Garrison fresh in the morning.

And we should definitely resolve recruitment before going anywhere I think.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2022-04-22 at 09:25 AM.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ettin in the Playground

I think Gashur could try doing the Gray Garrison tonight and maybe get away with it, not necessarily succeeding. I mean, if they don't have observed closed doors or any sniffers, the chances might be quite good. I'talking of sneaking invisibly and using what would be the undisclosed artifact. Will not be too much fun for everyone and we sort of risk the artifact, but that is and option. And Gashur might want people to cover his retreat.

We have a CL3 scroll of Ears of the City and I'd like to use it to learn what "they say" about the defenses and other such stuff. Have a play of Gray Garrison drawn by someone frequenting there and laid before us, point at where they probably keep the wardstone and think it all over as soon as today (but definitely after recruitment). @DM: will the place we occupy when we use the scroll have any effect on who "they" would be? We can tast it right here or later close to the spot.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

Know History (1d20+7)[9]
    I hope I can use plain "logic" to realize they are about to corrupt and turn the Wardstones into something not good for the city.
    Also the archmage Arivishnal is still in camp so why roll ourselves when we can ask him? (a DC 35 check is aimed at a high level wizard, not at the group to be honest, or something insane like an int focussed Lore Oracle)

What was the spending limit of the Defender's Heart again? I think I remember 2000gold? A bag of holding is out of reach then.

I would like to place the cloak either on the frontline or me. Not sure if we want to keep the Bracers of Armor (Mage Armor is kinda better), in any case we have 1310gp (selling the holy symbols and masterwork weapons since I assume IF Leonius misses by 1 due to masterwork, he is not doing any damage without cold iron anyhow), so we can still sell the bracers for 500 gp and give tali a pearl of power for mage armor.

But honestly? If we can get a group set of Sleeves of Many Garments for our disguise strategy? Would we be able to find 6 times the same thing in the "magic mart" the Inn has or is this a stretch?

In any case, I would keep both wands because I think we can use all the healing we can get, and assaulting a hold full of demons uses Bless Weapon readily.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    What was the spending limit of the Defender's Heart again? I think I remember 2000gold?
    But yes, its a price cap of 900gp for purchases (well really bartering) in the Defender's Heart
    So it's less.

I would like to place the cloak either on the frontline or me. Not sure if we want to keep the Bracers of Armor (Mage Armor is kinda better), in any case we have 1310gp (selling the holy symbols and masterwork weapons since I assume IF Leonius misses by 1 due to masterwork, he is not doing any damage without cold iron anyhow), so we can still sell the bracers for 500 gp and give tali a pearl of power for mage armor.

In any case, I would keep both wands because I think we can use all the healing we can get, and assaulting a hold full of demons uses Bless Weapon readily.
    Gashur would certainly like to take the cloak. Perhaps later exchanged for something darker. We can keep the bracers, wands and other semi-compact semi-usable stuff until we can spend them for some good effect. We do not have to spend them right this moment. This being a goodly-good team, we don't even have to spend the funds evenly as long as it is on good stuff, so the biggest cap would be the purchase limit. See the updated doc regarding the funds and feel free to claim anything.

The chest has stout looking lock...
    Is that internal or external lock? If external, what is it's quality?

UPD: Also, what's the CL of the wand of bless weapon?
    Last edited by u-b; 2022-04-23 at 06:54 AM.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    So it's less.

Gashur would certainly like to take the cloak. Perhaps later exchanged for something darker. We can keep the bracers, wands and other semi-compact semi-usable stuff until we can spend them for some good effect. We do not have to spend them right this moment. This being a goodly-good team, we don't even have to spend the funds evenly as long as it is on good stuff, so the biggest cap would be the purchase limit. See the updated doc regarding the funds and feel free to claim anything.

Is that internal or external lock? If external, what is it's quality?

UPD: Also, what's the CL of the wand of bless weapon?
    For the lock I assumed you used the key from Faxon’s belt to open it so if was included in the loop
    The bless weapon is CL3

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

For the lock I assumed you used the key from Faxon’s belt to open it so if was included in the loop
    Yes, but we could as well loot it, if practical. Looting the whole chest would be likely too much.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Well, Hello there...
    Show
    What's better than an archer? A flying archer!
    What's better than a flying archer? No, really?

Talisin Caiseal

Male Half-Elf N Eldritch Archer Hex Crafter Magus 4

Role: Ranged & Utility Arcane Caster / Back-up Buffer/Skill Monkey
    Traits: Master of Pentacles [1], Touched by Divinity [C], Transmuter of Korada [D]
    Drawbacks: Burned
    Terendelev Scale: Retribution
    Presumed Mythic Path: Archmage

Spoiler: Touched by Divinity – A Master of Pentacles
    Show
    There was something Talisin’s ‘father’ always used to say to him, “A poisoned fruit from a poisoned tree.” Growing up he knew his ‘father’ hated him, he was no simpleton, he knew that Albrecht wasn’t has biological parent, yet how could someone have so much contempt for a child?

It wasn’t until after the first time he and Albrecht expressed their shared disdain for one another with more than words, that his mother Eigr told him, “It’s not you he hates, its your father.” Yet that revelation didn’t assuage the pain nor halt the blows, for the 11 year old half-elf. When he was 15 Albrecht told him the entire truth. His father had used magic to make Eigr, ‘love’ him and only after a few months he tired of her and returned her to her home – and husband.

Albrecht made it clear that it was only his love for Eigr that had stooped him from tearing out his black eyes and cutting off his pointy ears when he was born, his life should be considered gift enough, yet Albrecht had taught the boy a trade, smithing, a fine profession in a city of perpetual war and now it was time he was gone. “Let us live our lives in peace.”

Cast out of the retaliative comfort of life in South Gate Talisin became a Waller, not at first though, he lived rough for a while in Truestone park before finding his new ‘family’. The coven initiated him into the world of the arcane, and the hitherto unknown potential he had locked within his blood. He made weapons and arms for his ‘family’ never asking or caring what they needed them for. And he learned. He learned so much, especially from their ‘Mother’.

For nine years he lived and worked with the Fumeiyoshi coven, looking back he’s ashamed at all he did. What he was. Over those years though often in the worst moments there was what his ‘Mother’ had called his totem spirit.

A three tailed monkey. He doesn’t know how many times it lead him away from witchhunters, woke him just in time to avoid a raid, distracted him causing him to miss a ferry down river that later he found was raided by rival cult. Even in moments of despair where he loomed close to fully succumbing to the darkness lurking within it was there keeping him always on the edge of shadow with its golden light.

Then came the fateful day he met old Affen. It was supposed to be the day of his baptism, after nine years of service he would finally make ‘the pact’ and become a true member of the coven. Three by three Mother had told him, there was special power in that. “Today”, she had said, “will be the day your life changes forever and you become the man you are meant to be.” And she was right.

There was an old man bound in their hall, he was, Mother said to be the sacrifice for Talisin’s rebirth. He would be bathed in his blood and, his meat they would share together with an emissary of the Red Wolf himself. Talisin had killed before. Even innocents, yet they were soldiers, thieves, watch, fighters. He was sure more than one ‘good’ man or woman had died at his hand but not like this.

Then he saw it. The man was smiling, he was looking at something over their shoulder, Talisin turned and saw the golden monkey there, three tails curling into a spiral. He could see it…

He didn’t know why he did it. But in the night he went to free the man, he found him sitting cross legged, unbound with the monkey on his shoulder. “Today,” he said with a kindly smile on his face, “will be the day your life changes forever and you become the man you are meant to be.” Then he rose, “I implore you to come with me now,” he said with a tinge of sadness in his voice, “but I know you’re not ready yet. When you are come to the throne of blossoms, Olus will show you the way.”

Just like Mother, he was right too. Talisin was baptised that night. A baptism of fire. He has never experienced such pain before or since, it severed his spirit from his body, broke his sense of self, he sat outside of himself smelling his own flesh cook and listening to his own screams. Just as he had done so many times before, with others, he was tossed into the river below.

He doesn’t know how but when he awoke he was in tangle of lilies and lotuses, Olus sitting on one of the pads and watching him. That’s when Affen began his healing. Not the burns an broken body, that was simple work but mending a spirit twisted and scared by years of hatred, resentment, pain and anger.

He learned of the Lotus Lord, the Harmonious Hand, Korada and the way of redemption and forgiveness, most of all of one’s self. That was four years ago, in the interim Talisin has tried to make amends for his past evils, joining expeditions into the Worldwound, protecting refugees, and helping where he could.

The day of the attack he saw a familiar three tailed monkey beckoning him to an equally familiar part of the city. Gate District.

Spoiler: Description
    Show

The black eyes and tapered ears betray his eleven lineage, while lithe and agile he lacks the almost ineffable alien demeanour of ‘true’ elves. The left side of his face is screened behind a curtain of long silken black hair, concealing a visage marred by discoloured stiff bark-like scars. Burns from flames that poured over his face, neck arms, much of his torso and thighs – a parting ‘gift’ from his former associates.

Festooned in a latticework of buckles and straps, quivers and pouches Talisin could easily be mistaken for one of the actual soldiers of the Crusade. The long griffin pelt wrapped horn and bone longbow constantly in his hand does little to dispel the idea that he’s a soldier in this newly flared war. Save for those well versed in the esoteric or arcane few would ever suspect the half-elf to be practitioner of arcane arts.

However, those schooled in the more ‘questionable’ paths of the occult might divine the contradictory collection of fetishes and iconography emblazoned upon his garb. From the silver spiral patterned lotus of Korada to the devil-heads of Fumeiyoshi he seems to represent dichotomy and opposition in more ways than just his half-blooded heritage.

Spoiler: Personality
    Show
    Despite all of his arcane and academic acumen and intelligence, Talisin is utterly ignorant of the intricacies of interpersonal interactions. He’s easily frustrated and confounded at how negativity his social situations play out. While most mistake his genuine ineptitude for arrogance, or worse cruelty, he’s sincerity is often overshadowed by his awkwardness.

He’s never learned to relate to people in what would be considered a ‘normal’ or ‘polite fashion.’ Being brutally blunt, direct, and abrasively honest in his views and opinions while seeing ‘tact’ and ‘niceties’ as inefficient, disingenuous, and unnecessary obstacles to quickly and succinctly achieving one’s goals.

His time spent in solitude at the forge, in isolated study, and in the thrall of an amoral coven, haven’t helped acclimatise him to what passes for ‘respectable’ interactions. He’s often as baffled and surprised by how others act and respond to him as they are by him. Yet, with time and attention he is sure to be able to adapt – he has to.

Talisin is pretty ready 'out of the box' and can really come into his own at 5th -- so there's one level to see what's needed by the party/group and build around that.. I didn't see any dedicated ranged or arcane in the party and checked the skills of existing members to try to cover gaps, unless it was just serendipity it looked like the skills (especially Knowledge) were planned out as a group, kudos to that, as I didn't find many areas of overlap or gaps. This build allows for strengths in ranged support but has enough versatility to build/grown into whatever areas the party/adventure path seems to call for.

Hello, all! Happy to have made it in, look forward to seeing how things go. I've purposely not read any of the IC thread and not really done much here other than go through the sheets, is there anything important/specific we should know? Has the party made it above ground or is everyone still in the undercity? Also how much time has passed since the attack on the city/ Kenabres-Armasse? If there's any gaps or roles in specific to fill out or lacking let me know and I can tweak spells and what not before we get a proper start.
    Last edited by TankLaser007; 2022-04-24 at 12:50 PM.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

We're out of the undercity, delivered all the NPCs to their respective objectives, and have regrouped at Defenders Heart with the city's remaining defenders.

We know the cultists have a wardstone fragment at the gray Garrison and are planning to use it to fell the entire network. We've cleared out a couple of supporting objectives before the main assault.

Just debating whether to do a final supporting mission or go to the main objective. I had thought it would depend on what time of day it is - either way I it was worth recharging magic and going to the main objective first thing in the morning. But if there's still time in the day we could have hit another objective first.

Having two fresh combatants might change the assessment. Tali's low remaining resources (about 30%) are a less significant proportion of party of 6 than of 4, and everyone else has at least some fight left in them.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Troll in the Playground

You can consider Talisin another arrow in the proverbial party's quiver, fire him where needed.

So he'll likely link up with the main group from those able bodied at Defender's Heart. Would hitting this objective now greatly impact/improve chances of success in the following encounter (at the Garrison?) also the main goal there is to just get the fragment or to engage/fight the enemy?

I see Tali's used half her 2nd level slots and 1 of her 1st levels, Mong's also used around half his levelled spells not sure about daily use CF like rage/performance, same for Gashur, Leonius looks to have used most of his spells and the party seems to be pretty good on HP so maybe that's why. If you all think we'll be able to hit another target then rest before the Garrison and it will be of benefit then sounds like a good idea. Otherwise maybe better to rest/regroup, if I know exactly what we're looking to do there I may prepare different spells.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TankLaser007 View Post
    You can consider Talisin another arrow in the proverbial party's quiver, fire him where needed.

So he'll likely link up with the main group from those able bodied at Defender's Heart. Would hitting this objective now greatly impact/improve chances of success in the following encounter (at the Garrison?) also the main goal there is to just get the fragment or to engage/fight the enemy?

I see Tali's used half her 2nd level slots and 1 of her 1st levels, Mong's also used around half his levelled spells not sure about daily use CF like rage/performance, same for Gashur, Leonius looks to have used most of his spells and the party seems to be pretty good on HP so maybe that's why. If you all think we'll be able to hit another target then rest before the Garrison and it will be of benefit then sounds like a good idea. Otherwise maybe better to rest/regroup, if I know exactly what we're looking to do there I may prepare different spells.
    Tali's actually used 3 of her level 2 spells in that last battle with only one remaining, I've been a bit slow on updating. Most of her combat power is in "Burning Arc". Magic Missile is less than half as effective, though she does have a quite a few of those remaining. Everyone else still has melee potential, so are less affected by expended resources. Tali was very weapons free against that last group for personal reasons.

I believe clearing cultists helps prevent reinforcement of the grey garrison (?), but we're also under a little time pressure. If the cultists receive their needed supplies and corrupt the wardstone before we get there, then it won't matter how many of the objectives we hit. I think we shouldn't leave attacking the garrison later than first thing in the morning, if we choose to rest first. Otherwise I think we may have enough power remaining to go for it now.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2022-04-24 at 07:59 AM.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

Hello, all! Happy to have made it in, look forward to seeing how things go. I've purposely not read any of the IC thread and not really done much here other than go through the sheets, is there anything important/specific we should know? Has the party made it above ground or is everyone still in the undercity? Also how much time has passed since the attack on the city/ Kenabres-Armasse? If there's any gaps or roles in specific to fill out or lacking let me know and I can tweak spells and what not before we get a proper start.
    Feel free to read through the IC thread to catch up a wee bit. I would assume Talisin has was in the city when the attack happened and has likewise been fighting a small guerilla war in his corner of the city for the past 5 days until he found the defenders centred around the Defender's Heart

The party have just cleared everything out and are ready for the Grey Garrison...

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Leonius has most of his spells by virtue of holding back because a) Gashur is a beast in melee and b) he is the only healer so far until Jessica comes along. I mark my spells as 0/1 cast, not 0/1 slots left. As such we are still fighting fit on the defensive side, but Tali's burst is used. We do have a smorgasbord of scrolls, wands and potions however as well as a few alchemical items to keep everyone contributing. Plus Tali's strong spells on 1st level (imho) are Grease, Mount and Enlarge Person. Blasting is her forte but by far not the only thing she can do.

We did trick the enemy twice into believing we are cultists, which sits horribly with Leonius but we did gain major advantages, so for now a cleric of a goddess of war and chivalry is torn. My spells for today are focussed on dealing with demons, spell casters and buffing our melee brutes. I assume Gashur with Bull's Strength and Enlarge Person is scary.

@ DrK

What do I have to do in order for a Lesser Glorious Tabard to work for Leonius? Is there a way?

Can Leonius add the nonmagical consecrated weapon quality to a weapon without crafting? (though this is only mildly effective on undead)

It is a thematic little item but the Reclamation works on defeating Cheliax, not to defend the Worldwound. Formally there is no way to join the Reclamation.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ettin in the Playground

Gashur has most of everything daily left, only the scale was used, and we don't need more than a charge for an attack on garrison. Though he is quite far from actually going anywhere because we didn't even start to plan...

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

@ DrK

What do I have to do in order for a Lesser Glorious Tabard to work for Leonius? Is there a way?

Can Leonius add the nonmagical consecrated weapon quality to a weapon without crafting? (though this is only mildly effective on undead)

It is a thematic little item but the Reclamation works on defeating Cheliax, not to defend the Worldwound. Formally there is no way to join the Reclamation.
    On the Less Tabard, yes. We can just have a "Lesser Glorious Tabard of the 4th Crusade" so the same but more focused on the Worldwound defenders. Same other rules.
    For the consecrated weapon, yes I'd be happy with that. But it would have to be done in a Temple of Iomedae with (rather conveniently 150go of incense and herbs etc..) with a small ritual for a few hours. Interestingly there is a Temple to Iomedae in the Gray Garrison.... (what a coincidence!)

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

Well that decides whether we're hitting Nyserian Manor in the morning... It's already been taken care of!

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

I can't help much with divine items, but if we need a party crafter going forward I already have the ground work lain. I get a bonus feat at 5th that I can use for Craft Magic Weapons and Armour and have the requisite crafting and spell skills to scratch build or modify items. I am planning on making my bow +1 then sticking Adaptive on it.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Hello all. I'm here now.
    I'll be using my regular blue as speech colour if that's okay.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

I can't help much with divine items, but if we need a party crafter going forward I already have the ground work lain. I get a bonus feat at 5th that I can use for Craft Magic Weapons and Armour and have the requisite crafting and spell skills to scratch build or modify items. I am planning on making my bow +1 then sticking Adaptive on it.
    I have thought about this as well, since the game provides little infrastructure to go "shopping", and a few items are too specific to be sensibly part of any loot pile. But I have thought more along the lines of Craft Wondrous Items, since weapons will inevitably be found, but certain wondrous items are not a must. Yet I feel 5th level is a bit too early for that, but at 7th level, we should have enough funds to pay for a "round" of stat enhancers and cloaks of resistance and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    Hello all. I'm here now.
    Heyo, glad to have you again faro. :)
    Last edited by Spore; 2022-04-24 at 01:25 PM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: DrK Wrath Righteous Reboot OOC

Quote Originally Posted by RCgothic View Post
    Well that decides whether we're hitting Nyserian Manor in the morning... It's already been taken care of!
    So we'll rest up and hit the manor in the morning OR hit the Grey Garrison now and then the manor afterwards?

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    Hello all. I'm here now.
    Ah speech colour.

I'll use this indigo I think. If that's alright.

I have thought about this as well, since the game provides little infrastructure to go "shopping", and a few items are too specific to be sensibly part of any loot pile. But I have thought more along the lines of Craft Wondrous Items, since weapons will inevitably be found, but certain wondrous items are not a must. Yet I feel 5th level is a bit too early for that, but at 7th level, we should have enough funds to pay for a "round" of stat enhancers and cloaks of resistance and whatnot.
    You're quite right Craft Wonderous Items is a much better investment. I get Bonus Feats at 5th, 11th and 17th (I think) so I don't mind taking it now and then using it whenever. Between Tali, myself, and Leonius I think we cover all the spells we'd need for your standard wondrous items. My bow's a bonded item so I can always treat it as if I have the requisite feats for the purpose of enhancing it.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

So we'll rest up and hit the manor in the morning OR hit the Grey Garrison now and then the manor afterwards?
    Manor has already been hit by NPC strike team. The choice is hit garrison tonight or tomorrow. Sounds like tomorrow there'll be some NPC distraction strikes, so that seems like the time to do it to me.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2022-04-24 at 03:44 PM.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

For spells, I have just two (and three from Terendelev's Scale of Grace). I have a cure light wounds as paladin spell (mostly because anything else is not really useful and more healing is always handy next to my lay on hands) and from my campaign trait I have the domain of good 1st lvl spell Protection from evil. That one I can't change, but if you think I can best swap the cure light for something else, I can.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

We rest since last time I used everything up (really was on empty that time).
    I'd been holding back my ragesongs by getting drunk, but since there are no berry bushes I think I'm out of berries to restock. So I can go full song next time we go out if I have to.

For crafting, I have a valet familiar so assumedly if I did take a crafting feat, I'd be good at it.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

I think Hero's Defiance may be worth considering instead of CLW.

Less potent, but a better safety net for emergencies.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2022-04-24 at 04:42 PM.