New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 29 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default DrK Wrath Righteous Reboot IC

For several weeks, excitement has been building in Kenabres - Armasse is coming! Traditionally an opportunity for scholars and priests to come together to study the lessons of history from wars past, since Aroden's death, this holy day has become more about training commoners in weaponry, choosing squires, and ordaining new priests. Over time, Armasse has grown to encompass jousting competitions, mock duels, battle reenactments, and other festival events. In Kenabres, the festival is eagerly anticipated, for it provides distractions from the horrors of being on the front line of the war. Smiles on faces normally marred by downcast eyes and furrowed brows do wonders for city morale in the weeks leading up to the event. Armasse is a citywide celebration, but the majority of the event, including its jousting matches and other entertainments, takes place at Clydwell Plaza, just west of the cathedral. All of you had gathered in good time, part of the massed crowd of soldiers and citizenry ready to hear Lord Hulrun himself speak and give his blessing upon the day...

------------------------

You awaken in pitch darkness.... Muscles bruised and heads aching sounds of moaning, clattering rocks and shifting stone echo around you in the darkness. Fuzzy phosphorescent glows faintly shimmering in the distance as your eyes struggle to adjust to the inky darkness. All of you struggle to breathe, dust filling the air and a smell of brimstone choking you slightly. Moans nearby alert you to the sound others. A soft dignified voice muttering in Elven... That had been 3 days ago. Since then you had pushed through the caverns of under kenabres and encountered evil and trouble. From vile giant vermin to insane exiled dwarven wizards it had been 3 long days with the moaning and whining Horgus, the enthusiastic if crippled Aneiva and the blind Arivishnal who seems almost stunned from the loss of his sight.

The day before you had encountered the mongrelfolk of Neathholm, scavengers and weird half-people infesting the caves under the city. The bloated and obscene Chief Sull had surprised you though as he wants allies and explains to you all of their legends and their role in fighting demons and the darkness that tries to crawl through the roots of the city.

The chief explains to you that your route out back into the city above lies through the nearby mongrel lair that has fallen to darkness. Vile traitors to the mongrelfolk they have been taken over by demon cults from the world above, demon worshippers of the brass bull. The chief looks at you with his twisted rat face "You kill traitors and drive out the cult and we fight for you, or..." he pauses "We let your kind shelter from the destruction."

Horgus had sneered, "What can these beasts offer, they are barely sentient.". Arivishnal had been more curious, "Hmm, intriguing, We had discussed the extent of the mongrelfolk and not reaslised their extent." Whilst Aneiva had been more concerned with her wife Irabeth in the city above.

OOC Thread
    Last edited by DrK; 2021-08-01 at 04:28 PM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DrK Wrath Righteous Reboot IC

Leonius Caela Telum
    Aasimar Cleric
    AC: 18 HP: 17/17
    touch: 10, ff: 18, CMD: 13
    Conditions: Blessing of Vigilance (Lesser Age Resistance, 24h)

Once again Horgus was straining Leonius' nerves. It was a blessing and a curse the aged priest could stay silent for so long even if met with abuse. Partially due to his military training, partially due to his work as a confessor, he usually was the last one to get agitated. But Lord Gwerm was testing him. Maybe Iomedae was testing him.

An alliance would benefit us both, Chief. But I am afraid Kenabres shares much of Horgus' ill-considered thoughts. But if we are to share a place, we must move away from our original viewpoints and concede a few things to each other. The last thing the crusader wanted was any of the two souring the mood now. Besides, he was itching to finally get some experience in the field, even if just to bury the guilt of not being able to protect his loved ones under a bit of professionalism.

How many are there, which tunnels count as their lair and what vile magic do they hold? Do you know more, Chief?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Mong:

Mong always considered Horgus like a yapping dog, they didn't know better but they were getting on your last nerve. But try as you might, you still like them. "Now, now, Mr. Horgus, they won't like you saying that about them, be quiet and I'll give you another fermented berry later." Mong say in a lower tone so Horgus can hear and hopefully not the Mongrelfolk.

"Tell me more about these traitors: Where can we find their camp? What defenses do you think they might have to stop us?
    Also, how long have you people been down here?"

While killing "vile" traitors sounds like a jolly good fun and all, the dangers should be known or we will have a terrible time of it. Also, Mong was curious about all thse strange mongrelfolk.

Spoiler
    Show

AC: 15 HP: 17/17
    touch: 12, ff: 13, CMD: 15
    Saves: +6/+3/+1

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Gashur

Negotiations weren't Gashur's forte. He let those more apt do as they see fit. This would inevitably result in some fighting, one way of another, and then he will do what he is good at. So far, three days of dragging around three cripples were long enough and the most problematic of cripples was the one with damaged spirit, not body. Gashur was fortunate enough to have both his spirit, body and common sense intact, so the recent events involving a witch hunt against none other than Horgus were inspiring a shadow of doubt on any claims of "vile traitorship"... still, Gashur was inclined not to raise this issue and either sort the things in due time or let the higher powers sort those he would send them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Seira

Horgus was starting to get on Seira's nerves. The old human had done nothing but complain for the past three days, and now that their sorry squad had finally encountered a non-hostile third party, he immediately begins to antagonize them? Clearly, she thought, this man has never been in a position where he couldn't just buy his way out. Uttering a quiet sigh of disdain, Seira steps in front of the aging noble, but the other aasimar speaks before she does. Eventually, Seira decides that Sull and the aasimar can work things out, and quietly steps back.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Markus shouldnt be here. He should be back in the festival, kneling down before the idol of Iomedae and receiving her divine blessing. To embrace her power and rise from his extended squirehood and into the armor of a true Paladin! A member of the crusaders willing to risk there lives in combat against the demons but...instead he's here, lost to the darkness.

This journey has been, terrifying for him. Monsters like he's never seen prowling the shadows, and worse...the dreams. Every night closing his eyes he experiences nightmare he had long since forgotten. of blood, of visions of pure fury, and of a Crimson man standing before him. Everynight has been interrupted by sudden waking and panic.

Yet, they were here, and from the sounds of it people were in need. Sure, he was a only a squire and an archivist, but if these people need help, he'll help. Mongrelfolk or not.

"To turn away allies would be well, quite foolish now! Besides that, cultist beneath the city itself can not be allowed to remain. Lets us drive them out and embrace eachother as allies.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Leonius Caela Telum
    Aasimar Cleric

As you see, Lord Gwerm, you are outnumbered. Titles mean nothing down here, if they are not derived from the masses. In a quick side note, the aasimar thanked the gods that Chief Sull had an average number of hands to shake, that were probably not oozing. He removes his gloves to shake the Chief's hand.

We are allies, then. Leonius looks at the silent commoner girl, that followed them. She had outbursts of primal magic, so she certainly wasn't the most confident personality, but the crusader knew from his decade of working with people who struggled with their personality, that her sunny demeanor, that she showed sparingly was actually the key to negotiations such as this. I trust you are with us on this alliance, Tali? he asks, not really expecting an answer.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Chief Sull squints out of his little buggy eyes, one misted over staring at Leonius and the others. He snorts and mumbles as he speaks “We mongrelfolk been here always. Since the city built we have been here fighting in the dark, shunned by topsiders. You call us ratlings, boogles, half men but we part of city”

Even at that Horgus snorts in disdain looking a the young noble for support but finding none from Markus. Aneiva shrugs, still leaning on the snapped spear she has been using as a crutch. ”Any help would be welcome Chief. We need all the help we can find to get back to the world above”

Arivishnal nods, leaning on Tali’s shoulder. ”I wish I could see this place, a village of the pitling village me dear, it would be a thing for my journals. But I agree with your well spoken friend and Aneiva, we cannot be fussy in our time of need for allies.

Nodding and sucking in air the chief waves a hand and a man with scales on one of his face and cloven hooves. “Great chief, they lay down the dark way, past the third junction in the new ruins. The tribe is small, no more than 3 hands”- given the variable fingers on these folk that’s less than helpful. “They have top sisters, a woman who bears the brazen bull, she slew the chief and with her followers (~4-5) she has taken over the tribe. I know of one way in but no more than that.”

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

"On the surface there's much prejudice against those who look... different..." Tali ventures when prompted, rubbing her wrist self-consciously under her long sleeves.

"I understand if we first need to prove we've set those prejudices aside before you aid us Chief Sull. So yes! We'll help you! And if afterwards you help us and the city above I'm sure that will go a long way towards changing surface dwellers' mind about you! I for one would spread the word about how when the city was in need it was those it last cared for who came to its rescue!"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Leonius Caela Telum
    Aasimar Cleric

Tali was hinting at something. Maybe someone close to her was harrassed by bigots, or she herself felt for the creatures. It was of no consequence. Can we leave our three injured in your care, Chief? Our chances would certainly improve if we can move as a unit. And with a Riftwarden as powerful as Arivishnal and someone with diplomatic skill to speak for the surface, our friends could easily help your cause better than they would following us, if in our absence counterattacks happen. Or if the crusade organized an expedition to check for survivors.

In any case, we should probably proceed today. Day or night does not matter down here, but I would rather reach these tunnels sooner than later, in order not to give the servants of Baphomet to formulate a defense strategy.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

"Let us go, then" Seira says in a calm, clear voice. "Those vile worshippers of the Bronze Bull cannot be allowed the time or resources to continue their plotting, and it is in our best interests to return to the surface with relative speed." As Seira spoke, her hand tightened slightly on the hilt of her spear, and her eyes betrayed a sense of restlessness.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Markus clears his throat, nodding to himself "Right. We just need to slay a hive of cultists. I've...only had sparing practice in the past. This is just that, but...without wooden swords."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

"You can stick with us if you'd prefer," Tali offers Horgus, Arivishnial and Aneiva as a counterpoint to Leonius's suggestion, giving the three a choice in the matter.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

"I think Leonius was offering they stay to help us go faster. With Arivishnal blind, he can't go very fast, I mean I could carry him speeding up travel, but then we have Aneiva's bad leg slowing us too, no offense Aneiva, so we would still be slowed."

Mong said to Tali.

"Hohoho, well I'm sure the manly fellow Horgus could carry Anevia while I carry Arivishnal, that would speed up travel. Regardless, let us show these bull, we can pull them by the horns. "

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Leonius Caela Telum
    Aasimar Cleric

Leonius was not happy with the resistance, but much like him they were not trained in strategy. Seira was not vocal about her opinion but he thought she was practically minded enough. I appreciate your concern for our wounded comrades, but this is not the time to mend mental or physical wounds. We should act swiftly and decisively, so we can get back onto the surface.

There will be enough time to find the glory of Iomedae, of Sarenrae or another benign deity to alleviate or perhaps fully heal your wounds. But it is not now, and I will not allow your hurt ego nor misplaced idealism to ruin our chances at a proper attack venue. We do not know what the cultists have in store for us.

They could have a small base of operations and conjured a few demons, but judging by the huge scale attack the forces of chaos marshalled just yesterday, I believe we are not enabling our friends, but actively risking their lives taking them with us. I will not aid them to follow us nor take any responsibility for any lost lives during this.

The priest's words seemt final, he was not taking any more opposition on this topic. If they were to take the wounded with them, they would have to do so without his aid.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

"But you'll still protect Markus and I?" Tali persists. "I mean we're not much good in a fight either but you're not suggesting leaving us behind? I don't think my sparks and lights will be that much help. Arivishnial and Aneiva at least know how to handle themselves and I'm not sure leaving Horgus here would be good for our diplomatic situation... I mean if it's a question of transport so they can keep up then maybe what we need is a cart, or some sort of... oh!"

A large horse has appeared seemingly from out of nowhere, apparently as much to Tali's surprise as anyone else's.

"Did... did I do that...?!" she wonders aloud. "Well surely this solves the problem! Aneiva and Arivishnial can ride with us if they want and we won't be slowed at all!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Mount, Summoned Light Horse duration 2h/lvl = 4h.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-08-06 at 03:36 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Leonius Caela Telum
    Aasimar Cleric

Leonius lays a hand on Tali's shoulder. You are somehow blessed with innate magic, Tali. Learn to control it, and it will soon be you who is protecting us from harm. But you are right. If the others are willing, they must see to it that they are more help than hindrance.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Horgus looks around disgusted and at the appearance of the horse shudders with disgust. ”The men of House Gwern are not cowards, I’ll come against my better judgement “

Aneiva and Arivishnal are quicker to nod and agree, a few of you helping both onto the strangely calm mount where Aneiva grins. ”Better up here than lumping in that cane, my thanks Tali”

—-

A few moments to sort out the marching order before Chief Sull nominates a young mongrelfolk with a strange reptilian cast to half his face to lead the way. With the dancing lights the tunnels still seem oppressive but you can see more and more roots of the city, ancient foundations and fallen columns down here rather than bare rock. Arivishnal moans as if in pain, a mutter of ”Cruel fates to rob me of my sight when such things there are to behold”

After an hour the mongrelfolk pauses at a corner and gestures, kneeling to whisper to you all. “I stop here. Passage turns left and goes up steep ramp, at the top old arch with winged angel is blocked and they are there. I go no further

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

accidental post in wrong thread, no dice rolls made but not deleting as proof.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-08-06 at 03:41 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Leonius Caela Telum
    Aasimar Cleric

I am sure you are well able to hold your own, Lord Gwerm. Leonius says emphasizing he is on his own, and will very much be expected to actually fight. Inheritor's Light shine your way. the crusader touches the lord's blade, his voice magically strengthened, and makes it glow. So you do not have to compromise your combat form by holding a torch.

We thank you for your guidance. May the gods bless your way back. Leonius thanks the young warrior. Do not feel disheartened, warden. I am sure the ruins will not go anywhere and patiently wait for you to receive the divine blessings necessary to see again. We could learn much from past generations, if you led a team of historians down here once it is safe. Patience and a bit of subterfuge is necessary now.

Do we have a volunteer to scout ahead?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, that is a fantastic surprise, Tali, while I can create a little magic, " Mong creates illusion of a horse with Prestigidation on his hand. " But you've created the actual thing."

Mong marvels at the architecture, "I feel sorry for you Arivishnal, how about after we cure your blindness we take a visit back here. Assuming nothing is too pressing at that time what with the demons rampaging and all. "

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

“I can scout, though I would likely have to leave my armor here until I return. If I am detected, I can summon a creature to distract my pursuers.”

Seira pauses for a moment.

“Unless anyone else wants to volunteer?”

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

"I think maybe we should stick together," Tali suggests. "I'd anything happens wecll be better able to support each other."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

"I can scout no problem, and I can do it without shining around and rattling too much. I'll take a look and be back soon. I'm pretty sure I won't be seen and even if I am, they are not going to catch me."

Unless there are strong objections, Gashur does just that, moving ahead to scout and then back to report.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think Gashur took the shirt (and a potion) as he've had no objections so far. Just not updated the sheet yet (upd: done!). He could give away his old studded leather, but better he would just scout himself.

Gashur has low-light, darkvision 120 and move 40 ontop of some proficiency with stealth.
    Perception: take 10 for a total of 15
    Stealth: (1d20+5)[14]
    Both modified by the distance of likely 100+ feet.
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-08-07 at 05:23 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Horgus looks surprised as his sword illuminates with light, drawing forth the thin rapier a look of awe appears on his face as he turns to show Tali, "By the inheiritor, a miracle.." he mutters looking at the older cleric with a new found respect. Nodding he looks at the others and pats Aneiva on the shoulder, "Very well, let us end this hive of villainy."

--

Arivishnal clutches Mong's arm and nods. "My thanks. Would you be a scholar as well Mong? he signs sadly, "Such sights under here, the Rift Wardens would be intrigued by this I am sure. Stay close Mong, I have some magics left from the battle that may aid us but you or the kindly Tali may have to be my eyes."

--

Gashur, moving lightly for such a hulking orc scouts a little ahead and as he rounds a narrow corner can see in the strange greens or his darkvision the small tunnel rises steeply for some 70ft before widening into a small cavern, his keen orc nose smells the faint smell of cooked meat and can see in the greenscale barricades made of heaped loose rocks and wooden boards bisect this cavern. Beyond the barricades, a wooden screen covers the lower half of a tunnel mouth. Crouched behind the barricades and still unaware of the approaching party he can also see a pair of mongrelmen, savage lumpen creatures leaning against the barricades tearing into some sort of cooked morsel.

With the area in pitch darkness Gashur realises that when any light gets within ~20ft of the turn (so 90ft from the barricade) it will become impossible to be stealthy.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Gashur reports back what he's seen. He proposes to split the party into those that can remain unseen in the dark and those who cannot, and advance in two groups with maybe 80 feet in between. Or maybe some long-ranged spell would be handy to target those two before they could react.

Spoiler
    Show
    Would it be possible to run up there or is it too steep? If too steep, will the movement otherwise be at full speed or will it be reduced?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Leonius Caela Telum
    Aasimar Cleric

They should not be an issue if we just hold formation. Shall I beseech the Inheritor for aid? We need to pass this place, a fight seems inevitable. And I think our strength is open combat, not sublety. Unless some of you have some other tricks up their sleeves. We should use our arcane gifts sparingly, but use them we should nonetheless.

He pulls out his scale of Tenderev. One may slowly fly for the better quart of an hour with this.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

"If there are truly only two of them up ahead, we should take care to not over-invest our resources in this fight. I have a spell that increases our accuracy in battle; that and perhaps a summoned creature should be all we need, especially since we have the element of surprise. However, this spell lasts only a minute, so let us get in position before I cast it."

"As for our plan of attack, I propose we simply charge them. Gashur saw no signs of ranged weapons, and we have a few spellcasters who can afford to remain in the back and support those of us in the melee. Any objections?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, time to release my little friend, wake up See-yon, time to fight," Mong says out of one of his pouches on his chest crawls out a lizard-looking bird.

Ready to fight, Master? Already, I was enjoying my nap. Mong heard in his head as the Rhamphorhynchus slowly climbs and sits on Mong's head.

"The little guy can make your body heal in an instant slowly, useful if we get wounded. I am ready to bring the fight to the enemy anytime." Mong cracks his knuckles and draws his scimitar. "By Kurgess, we will have victory!"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

"I should be good enough on foot. Though, an alternative form would be handy for this and the following fights." Gashur takes his scale of Tenderev to use when everyone is ready. "Not a huge fan of formations. Maybe I better catch them by surprise?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Alter Self: Troglodyte for 19 min

Gashur proposes to advance stealthily ahead of the party, charge a mongrelman as a surprise round (reach weapon across the barricade) then roll the initiative.
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-08-08 at 01:52 AM.