New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Anyone know the name of this game mechanic?

Hi everybody! I'm trying to find out the name of a specific type of puzzle that I've seen in games before. It involves the player having to move around a board of square tiles in an irregular arrangement. All the tiles start in the "off" position; when the player steps on one, it switches to "on." If the player then steps on the same tile again, it switches back to off. The goal of the puzzle is to move around the board so that all the tiles are flipped to on at once, meaning without going back over any tile more than once.

Anyone know what this type of puzzle is called? Even better, do you know anywhere I could find a collection of these puzzles?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Anyone know the name of this game mechanic?

No, but I've seen that sort of puzzle in lots of games. A different sort of puzzle/math-or-logic-construction is the Hamiltonian Circuit, where you need to take each path between nodes in a network (or was it draw-the-figure-without-retracing-anything?). There's also the intractable Traveling Salesman problem, where you need to visit each node (possibly returning home once done) minimizing the value or cost of the path.

Maybe it's a lead to the name you want.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ah, yeah, I'm looking at Hamiltonian Path puzzles now, and they're almost exactly what I was thinking of. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

It's a very specialized form of it, but may you help searching: The Knight's Tour.

Edit: linked from that article: Self-avoiding walk
    Last edited by Eldan; 2021-08-03 at 02:13 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist