New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Help pricing an item for our Paladin

Our pathfinder group is playing Curse of the Crimson Throne adventure path. The city is riddled with a rather nasty plague. So we are looking at crafting something to help out.
    We considered a wand of remove disease...but it will take 11 days to craft, and 50 charges will barely make a dent in the problem.
    Likewise a wondrous item with a number of castings per day.

Meanwhile our paladin can cure disease with her lay on hands, and can do it 10 times a day.

So, we were looking at something to increase her number of lay on hands per day. Something like a portable shrine, that when used for morning prayers, increased her uses of loh by a fixed amount, or perhaps by her charisma bonus, per day.

Or is there already something that does this?
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

2021 2022 2023 2024

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Help pricing an item for our Paladin

Honestly, stopping plagues can be a real hassle. Causing them isn't so hard, but stopping them can be a hassle. Unless the population isn't that large you're unlikely to make a dent in things with just that. Some other measures would be in order really.

But forgive me as I'm not a Pathfinder fan so I'm not familiar with the adventure. So I have a few questions.
    What's the city's population?
    What level and classes are your party's spellcasters?
    What kind of funds do you have to use to resolve this issue?
    Do you have access to DnD 3.5 material or just Pathfinder?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Not sure, but likely exceeding a couple of hundred thousand. It's a big city, built up and over in parts with a couple of hefty poor sections/slums.
    The party is level 6. We have a non-casting Paladin (changeling), an Enchanter (gnome), a Shaman (human), a Druid (halfelf), a black dragon blooded Sorceror (elf), a fighter/magus (dwarf), and a shadow Thief (goblin).
    We have almost 20,000gp between us, but one of the temples is willing to help fund items dedicated to fighting the plague.
    Our gm is pretty good about bringing 3.x material across.
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

2021 2022 2023 2024

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Oooh, that makes it hard alright.
    Though I did see a spell on the Pathfinder SRD that could be of use here.

"Accept Affliction"
    Its a single target spell that lets you transfer a variety of afflictions, including diseases to yourself. Its a 3rd level spell that druids, clerics, paladins, bards, and witches get access to.
    The sourcebook is Champions of Purity

Could be some potential to lower the need for removing disease if your DM allows you to absorb the same disease twice through a use-activated wondrous item of that.

On the high end of things, Mass Heal cures Disease, so scrolls of that could help. As does Heroes Feast. But you likely would have difficulty casting those even from scrolls as it stands.

I'd say at level 6 though your best bet is first identifying the disease and how it spreads. Isolate the afflicted (or the healthy, whichever is easier) and begin systematically purging the disease through use of mundane and magical methods from all affected areas.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Does Cure Disease remove the disease and prevent re-exposure? Disease like filth fever go away and stay away with cure disease.

Is the disease really a plain old disease or is it part curse, a full curse, or perhaps a very tricky poison with symptoms of a disease?
    What is the cause of the plague and how does it spread?
    Where did it come from aka patient 0?
    Is there an intelligence spreading the disease beyond lockdown or can it be contained with a quarantine zone?

It doesn't help at all if every single day you cure everyone but the next day everyone or most everyone is sick again.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A Meditation Crystal would likely work. 100 gp, non-consumable. Using a Channel Foci requires it to be aligned to your god, though in the rules it states that the GM may allow clerics (or anyone else with channel energy) of allied gods to also charge it.

Essentially, someone stores a Channel Energy into the Meditation Crystal as a standard action. The power level of the donator's channel doesn't matter. The Paladin takes a minute to pull a Lay on Hands out of the crystal depleting the stored Channel Energy.

So I say get 2-3 crystals, set up in the local temple that the GM stated was willing to help and spend a minute(pulling from the crystal) + a standard action(Lay on Hands) per patient.

Bonus points if it is a temple of Irori, and they have a Ki Channel Cleric/Monk with Tea of Transference to get back all of his channels.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

If your DM is alright with porting over 3e items, Stronghold Builder's Guidebook has Bed of Wellness (Remove Disease). It has a market price of 15,000 gp, and it casts Remove Disease on anyone who lies in it for 3 consecutive rounds. There's no upper limit on how many times it can function per day, except that there are 14,400 rounds in a day. So one bed can cure 4,800 people per day, if you use it around the clock and somehow get the time taken to get people in and out of it down to zero.

Or you could bring out the big guns. The same book also has Platform of Healing, but in the interests of full disclosure, inform your DM that it was later reprinted in Draconomicon with a higher price tag. It has a market price of 76,500 gp for the Draconomicon version. But regardless of version, it casts heal on anyone who gets onto it. No 3-round delay here, and it loses the 1-person-at-a-time limit too. It's 10 feet across, plenty big enough for multiple people to simultaneously be clambering onto and off of different sections of it simultaneously.

If you opt for the second one, you won't just solve all disease in the city (and surrounding area) forever. You'll also solve nearly every source of mundane harm. Missing limbs and death are about the only things Heal can't deal with that aren't necessarily magical in nature. … Oh wait. I guess there's still starvation. Better build an Everful Larder too.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

If I were your DM, and I wasn't opposed to bringing in (and subsequently modifying) items from 3.5, then I could possibly be convinced to allow a modification of Ex Libris Mortis' Nightsticks (pg. 78, CL 10; Craft Rod, Extra Turning, class ability to turn or rebuke undead; 7500 gp) to allow additional uses of Lay on Hands instead of extra uses of Turn Undead (assuming I didn't rear back with a "Hisssssssss!!!" while my skin bubbled and blistered at the mere mention of them, naturally). I'd likely want the crafter to have Extra Lay On Hands either in place of or in addition to Extra Turning (or I suppose Extra Channel, in PF), of course. And it seems you'd need an awful lot of them to get your R0 to <1, though if the church is bankrolling you perhaps that's not such an issue. Or perhaps there could be an enhanced version knocked together, granting more than four additional uses per day. But I'd definitely turn the crafting process for that into a side-quest: "To craft this item, you'll have to travel two score leagues up the Jeggare in order to find the Lost Wood Of Lingering Shadows, where you'll face many dangers. Not least of which will be meeting the Knights Who Say 'Parody is protected speech!' who will no doubt ask you to find them, I don't know, a dozen bonsai, or something..."
    No levelled malice
    Infects one comma in the course I hold;
    But flies an eagle flight, bold, and forth on,
    Leaving no track behind.

Andrew Eldritch Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
    Psionic Tricks Handbook (WIP!)

Brainstorming thread for a Basic FAQ (WIP!)

Oh, and you can just call me KA.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Meditation crystals require a use of channel energy to charge them, but can give a single lay on hands use back. If you’ve got the support of a number of low level clerics of your faith helping, this could be an easy way to transmute 1d6 burst healing into remove disease.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

The plague is a major plot point. I don't believe any item you can craft will make a large enough dent with just remove disease.

I've ran this campaign and my party purchased 1 wand of remove disease early in the infections spread.

They used almost all their charges just on themselves throughout the situation as the plague is a nasty nasty disease.

The plague was defeated tho. :)