New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: The Treasure Map (IC)

Corym leans closer to the others and whispers:

"As I said earlier, I could soften them up with a Fireball from a good distance, maybe even taking some of the orcs out of battle earlier. I also prepared a Glitterdust that could blind some or most of them." - He looks at the others and suggests a course of action - "I could open up with Glitterdust and then explode them with a Fireball if too many of them resisted the blinding effect. Of course, that means that you should avoid rushing in before I blasted the area."

When he sees that Varin is holding what seems to be an Enlarge Person potion, he touches him on the arm:

"You can save that for later, I prepared Enlarge Person with you in mind." - He looks at Kevan - "Or you can give him the potion, if both of you want to be enlarged." - But then he reaches inside a pouch and retrieves his Pearl of Power - "Actually, I could enlarge you both if you'd like, saving the potion for an emergency."

While the others decide if they agree with his suggestions, he casts Protection from Arrows on himself, which will also affect Bubo, on his shoulder.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

As the group continues to watch the operation, a few things become clear. The orcs clearly do not like being bossed by the ogres and so the larger monsters are constantly moving, cracking whips and such, making the chance of catching them both in a limited radius spell low. And there must be some members of that group that require light, as there are torches and lanterns around the "work site."
    #GoreMutualarejerks

3. - Top - End - #63

I can cast glitterdust once as well (MOST of the time), and I can also boost up my Inspiration reliably. I don't think it's a good idea to let these guys possibly hit us from behind if there's something noisy happening through the door.

But here's the thing: It looks like if we can knock out the ogres, the orcs may not even fight. You can tell they resent being here, even moreso getting hit by the whips. But without knowing exactly WHY they're here, it's hard to know whether or not we can talk them into leaving if we help them deal with the ogres.

I can make the offer if you'd like, though.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Kevan

Leaving the horse outside he nuzzles the beast, "Defend yourself and stomp any Orc you see." he says to the beast and follows the others in, clumsy in his plate with his greatsword in his hands and shield slung on his back. Pausing with the others and listening he nods at the wizard's wise words. "If there are many then fire and glitter sounds sensible. I shall beseech Klintina for her blessing and shall will aid us."

Muttering under his breath he prepares to summon the strength of Klintina to help him.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Before we attack Sir Kevan will cast divine favour on himself, and then cast bless on them all.
    Giving him +2 luck hit/damage and all of them +1 morale attack +1 saves vs Fear

Last edited by DrK; 2021-09-08 at 02:19 AM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

"Boys, boys..." Ratette grins impishly, showing way too many teeth, You know, we could do any of that. Orrrrr I could sneak around, hide, throw some rocks at the right heads, hide again and these dumb-dumbs will start flinging blame and swinging punches. We can just sneak by while they kill each other, save us the trouble, yah?" she seems awfully proud of this plan she thought up all by herself.
    <BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

"Don't trust orcs and ogres enough to make deals with 'em. And they'll find dead orcs outside," Varin says to Iradak. He looks to Corym, saying "Fireball's tempting if things go sideways. No idea what else's in these caves after those orcs though."

Ratette's idea is met with some consideration, then a bit of nodding. "Sure, might as well try. Costs us nothing and might thin their numbers if they still spot us."

Varin's really not feeling comfortable in a leadership role. This could be the only roadblock, could be the first of dozens.

7. - Top - End - #67

HalflingRangerGuy

Corym hears the others patiently and then comments:

"Actually, Ratette, I'm thinking that it would be better if you could sneak closer to them and get us more information. There are lights around there, even though ogres, orcs, half-orcs and goblins, like yourself, can all see in total darkness. Those lights may indicate the presence of humans or other species. We should be certain there are no hostages, slaves or even humble peasants doing menial labor for food. Of course, if they are mercenary guards or criminals and in league with them, they deserve the same fate, but there may be innocent people there."

"That being said, when we finally decide to act, we should be combat ready before doing some alternative course of action."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Varin nods in regards to possible innocents. Well, as innocent as people in this region can still be. Few of those left, though those that aren't anymore often didn't have much of a choice.

"So, distraction, and if that fails, fight?" Once decided, Varin gets going with what has been decided.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Ratette pays surprisingly rapt attention to Corym, her yellow eyes darting about as the mental gears start turning, and with a bob of her head, she scoops up a handful of small pebbles before slipping away, trying to sneak around the facility without any of the bigger, meaner, greener jerks noticing her...

Spoiler: OOC, rolls
    Show

(1d20+15)[20] Move Silently
    (1d20+15)[18] Hide

Attack vs. flat flooted orc: (1d20+8)[18] I imagine this deals 1 point of damage total if she bonks an orc

(1d20+15)[20] hide again

Spoiler: Same thing, but an assault on a nearby ogre if she isn't caught
    Show

(1d20+15)[29] Move Silently
    (1d20+15)[22] Hide

Attack vs. flat flooted Ogre: (1d20+8)[23] I imagine this deals 1 point of damage total if she bonks an orc

(1d20+15)[25] hide again

<BananaPhone> Stop sniveling worm! You think something as petty as "oh boo hoo my house is collapsing!" should stop you from posting in an online fantasy game where people pretend to be werewolves?

"Let me get this straight. Some guy dressed up as Batman to fight the guys dressing up as clowns scaring people. Maybe this planet aint so bad after all."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Ratette sneaks into position and with good accuracy, one of her pebbles hits an orc.
    Hey, watch what yer doin'
    whip crack more work,less talk
    Her success emboldens her and she targets an ogre, hitting again
    whip crack, whip crack MORE WORK, and watch where you throw those rocks
    #GoreMutualarejerks

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Another rock. Another hidey hole. Ratette keeps egging on the same ogre and orc, hoping to spark the fires of hero convenient rebellion.

Spoiler: OOC/Rolls
    Show

For the Orc:
    Hide/MS: (1d20+15)[16] (1d20+15)[34] Attack:(1d20+8)[28]

For the Ogre:
    Hide/MS: (1d20+15)[31] (1d20+15)[34] Attack:(1d20+8)[11]

12. - Top - End - #72

HalflingRangerGuy

Corym is watching Ratette intently. If he sees that she's atracting the attention of the ogres and orcs to the group, he'll immediately cast Enlarge Person on Varin and then get ready to Fireball the enemies as soon as they advance.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Corym will cast Enlarge Person on Varin and then Ready an action to cast Fireball on the enemies as they get more packed together.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Varin, polearm in hand, waits near the mouth of the cave. Whether it is to get to the secret tunnel or to cover a retreating Ratette remains to be seen.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

(Ratette fails his hide check)

Orc: Hey, who's that?

Ogre (attempting to process this new appearance and failing: Both of youse, back to work Wwhip ctack near Ratette'a head

Orc: But he's a spy

Ogre: Den Rocco deals wiz him, but for now, he can move rocks, get to work whip crack even closer to the head

The ogre is between Ratette and the group and clearly expects him to start moving rocks
    #GoreMutualarejerks

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

A pause.

Ratette blinks her large yellow eyes, and looks between the Ogre and the rock she is still holding. Back at the Ogre. Back at the rock. Back at the Ogre...

"He dared me to do it." she points at the Orc before A) Up and hurling the stone right in the Ogre's face, and B) Running like the dickens away from the ogre with no more effs to give about this plan.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+1)[13] bluff
    (1d20+8)[14] Stone attack

(1d20+12)[18] tumble check to get past the ogre.

16. - Top - End - #76

HalflingRangerGuy

As soon as he sees that Ratette was discovered, Corym casts Enlarge Person on Varin.

He then gauges distance and area and gets ready to cast Fireball on the enemies as soon as they are gathered enough so he can fit both ogres and as many orcs as possible in the spell's area of effect.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

As soon as he changes, Varin charges at the ogre between Ratette and himself to skewer it and cover the goblin's retreat.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Varin charges the ogre at the very edge of his now 20ft reach.
    (1d20+10)[12], (2d6+9)[13] damage. If the attack deals at least 10 damage, the trip routine goes off.
    Trip check (1d20+13)[28]. If that trips, the Improved Trip follow-up attack happens: (1d20+10)[29], (2d6+9)[14] damage
    If the trip fails and he gets tripped back, defensive chekc (1d20+9)[28]
    If that fails, Varin drops his guisarme instead of getting tripped.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Ratette's stone throw misses the mark and his tumble check fails as well, receiving a solid thump from the ogre's club for 5 points of damage. The goblin does get past him after that, however the whole work crew are now in pursuit after him.

Initiative and action, please
    #GoreMutualarejerks

19. - Top - End - #79

Initiative: (1d20+4)[16]

Show
    Iradak will swift cast Inspirational Boost, followed by starting his Bardic Inspire Courage.

Inspire Courage for this battle is +3 to attack rolls, damage rolls, and fear saves as a morale bonus.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Kevan

Seeing they are discovered Kevan calls down Klintina's might upon him and fills hi sword arm with holy zeal. that down he strides forward beside Varin, dwarfed by the ranger's now enormous form.

Spoiler
    Show

Init (1d20+1)[9]
    Cast Bullls strength
    Advance with Varin

21. - Top - End - #81

HalflingRangerGuy

After enlarging his ranger friend, Corym gauges distance and area and gets ready to cast Fireball on the enemies as soon as they are gathered enough so he can fit both ogres and as many orcs as possible in the spell's area of effect.

When that happens, a tiny glowing amber flies past the knight and the enlarged ranger, traveling to the midst of the enemies and exploding in flames.

Show
    Initiative: (1d20+4)[16]

Ready action to Fireball (Fiery Burst feat gives +1 Caster Level on Fire spells):
    Damage (6d6)[20] (Reflexes 19 for half damage)

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Not the first and not the last time Ratette has been clobbered over the head, but to HER credit, she keeps on a running, trying to put distance between her and everybody who's not on her team/trying to kill her...

Spoiler: ooc/rolls
    Show

(1d20+5)[19] Initiative.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

The work group charges after the goblin and for the one time since they have been spotted, the ogres are bunched together for a fireball attack and Corywn doesnt waste his chance, unloading a fireball, targeting it slightly behind the ogres so that Rateette doesnt get caught in the fringes.
    7 of the 10 trailing orcs are blown to bits, barely able to get off a squeal before expiring. Both ogres are burned as well, one drops but one manages to keep going, even if badly burned. Varins attack attempt fails, and then he is joined by Kevan to face the monstrous ogre. Iradek calls up inspiration and Ratette makes it back behind friendly lines

ROUND TWO
    Tactical: Varin and Kevan on one ogre, 3 orcs circling that fight to get at Iradek, Corywn and/or Ratette.
    Initiative: Ratette, Varin, Iradek, Corwyn, Ogres, Kevan
    #GoreMutualarejerks

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Varin strikes at the remaining ogre, hoping to kill the hateful giantfolk so he can move to cut off the orcs' path. From the corner of his eye, he watches the devastating force of Corym's fireball. He never quite got used to such displays of arcane might. So much fearsome power channeled in an instant, annihilating most of their opponents. Corym has grown powerful indeed.

Show
    Standard Attack the ogre with the guisarme.
    (1d20+8)[27], (2d6+9)[18] damage. If the attack hits and does 10+ damage, trip attempt (1d20+13)[24]
    If the ogre is tripped, Varin gets a follow-up attack on the prone ogre (1d20+8)[27], (2d6+9)[15] damage
    If the trip fails and Varin gets countertripped (1d20+9)[23] If Varin gets tripped, he drops his guisarme instead of falling prone.

IF the ogre dies:
    Move to catch the three orcs in his guisarme reach (15-20ft) so they can't advance on the rest of the group without provoking AoOs.

25. - Top - End - #85

HalflingRangerGuy

Corym watches the burning demise of his foes with a mix of satisfaction and sorrow. He does not deal death lightly, but if forced to choose between his companions and their enemies, he will choose his comrades everytime. Nonetheless, these displays of arcane destruction awake something grim inside him. Something he's still not very comfortable dealing with.

This thoughts take little from his analytical skills, though, and he quickly adjusts his calculations to smaller areas and closer ranges to wordlessly direct a Fiery Burst at the advancing orcs before retreating some meters.

Show
    Standard action:
    Trying to affect maybe two orcs in the smaller area of his Fiery Burst: Damage (3d6)[8] (Reflexes 19 for half damage)

Move Action: After the Fiery Burst, retreat 30 feet.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Sir Kevan

Kevan cheers as the fire engulfs the ors and blows them into small chunks. "Goddess be with you" he cheers as he see's Varin now slamming the ogres with the massive polearm. Seeing his chance he wades in, slashing at the ogre targeted by his friend seeking to cut it down with holy power

OOC
    Hit ogre targeted by Varin (hopefully prone) (1d20+8)[13] dam (2d6+7)[13]

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Ratette doesn't waste another arrow, she just hides behind her bigger compatriots, drawing her bow at least, waiting to see if the Ogre comes after her or if she needs to make a move.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Holding my actions other than a move action to draw my bow.

28. - Top - End - #88

Iradak will try to cut off the reinforcements. He'll draw one of his eggshell grenades and toss it at the lead orc trying to push around everyone. If all goes well, it'll slow down the ones behind him as well.

Show
    Move action, draw eggshell grenade from his bandoleer.
    Standard action: Throw it at the lead orc. (1d20+12)[19]
    The lead orc, if hit, is blinded for (1d4)[4] rounds with no save, and anyone within 5' of it needs to make a DC 10 Fortitude save, or they'll be blinded for one round in addition.

Duration of Inspire Courage is 10 rounds left due to Lingering Song feat.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Ratette takes a defensive position while the attack of Varin finishes off the wounded ogre. Iradek tosses his grenade at one of the orcs, blinding him and leaving him to fail uselessly. Corym's flames wound the two orcs coming from the other side, they keep coming and Varin's glaive finishes them off. With the ogre dead. Kevan changes his attack to the orc but misses

ROUND THREE
    one blinded orc
    #GoreMutualarejerks

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Varin brings his giant weapon around and slashes down on the remaining orc. He does not care why they know about this place. The need to find the treasure and get out.

Show
    Attack!
    (1d20+8)[24], (2d4+7)[10] damage