New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default IC Tony's SF by Night

Prologue

"San Francisco is a breathtakingly beautiful city, with lots of great contrasts between dark and light, often overlapping each other. It's a great setting for a horror story." - Christopher Moore.

Tony D'Agostino sat alone in his cubicle on the fifth floor office of Acquisitions of the Truegen San Francisco branch, located in Downtown San Francisco. The building was a tall business building, all marbled concrete and reflective glass. It was Friday the 13th, the last day for Tony's boss, Brian Drapper to decide on whose proposal would be selected by the company for their next project; building a San Francisco "campus" for Facebook. Tony had been unable to get any work done; he'd been waiting anxiously for his phone to buzz and Drapper to tell him the good news.

Of course, Camille Gordon had also submitted a proposal; though there was no way hers could win. Through a number of his connections, Tony had discovered a pair of opposing super markets that had opened up across from the street from each other; and each was going to be shut down. Tony had proposed the company buy up both lots to be used for the new campus. It would be a significant amount of land in the city, purchased for fairly cheap. There was no way Camille had come up with something better. She wasn't that smart. Christ, she'd practically gotten this far in the company by batting her eyelashes and twisting her long blond hair around a finger while making kissy faces at the CEOs.

But instead of Tony's office phone ringing, his cellphone buzzed. It was a text message from his cousin Sofia. She lived in the apartment below Tony's in the townhouse that he'd bought with her son little Nicky. It read, "Hey, were you expecting someone at the apartment today? A really sketchy man in a suit rang your doorbell just now." This was followed by a second text that read, "You get the good news yet?"
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2020-01-05 at 05:37 PM.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: IC Tony's SF by Night

I flip the case open and respond "Still waiting on the news. What do you mean sketchy?
    Last edited by DanaF'ingWhite; 2020-01-09 at 08:34 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Tony almost immediately gets a reply back, "Okay. Fingers crossed." This is followed by a second text, "An old man. He was dressed like a butler or something. Showed up in a Limo. He dropped off a package for you and me. Know anything about this?

As Tony is reading the texts, Camille passes by, her steps fast and anxious. She shoots a nervous glare Tony's way. Apparently she wasn't handling the wait well.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4

"Evening Camille." I turn back to my work to avoid a conversation.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The girl's first reaction is to scowl. A look she quickly covers up with a saccharine smile. "How's it going?", she says in a desperate attempt to not seem anxious.

Receiving no reply, Sofia texts again, "Anyways, I sent him away. Just thought you should know."
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

"Good good, just waiting to hear back from Drapper" Meanwhile I text back "I am sure it was just a wrong address, don't worry about it"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Camille gives Tony a nod and a forced smile that may as well read "**** you".

Fortunately, the pair are saved then by the approaching administrative assistant. Tod was an African American man in his mid twenties, obsessively groomed and put together. Tony was pretty sure that Tod was a model or a dancer at night, and it was clear from his work ethic that Tod's energies were focused elsewhere. It wasn't very clear why Drapper kept the man around. He grins at Tony and Camille and says, "Brian Drapper will see you both now."

Tony and Camille follow Tod to the back of the building, where they are let in to Mr. Drapper's corner office. Floor to ceiling windows give a clear view of San Francisco's Financial District, including Market street. Brian Drapper sits at a comically over-sized black desk, his computer and paper pushed to the side so that only a decorative Japanese blade and a name plate are out before him. He is wearing a double breasted pinstripe navy suit and a flowery baby blue tie. Drapper flashes his two employees a winning smile as they enter, reclining comfortably in his high backed leather desk chair. "Welcome you two. Come in come in." Drapper says, extending a hand for each to shake, "I am sure you are both anxious to start this meeting." Drapper's eyes and smile linger on Tony, perhaps a good sign of things to come.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

"Thank you Mr. Drapper, we are both eager to hear your thoughts". I confidently shake the man's hand, and wait to see what he does next.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Drapper invites both of his employees to take a seat. When the two are settled, Mr. Drapper leans forward in his chair, hands clasped before him.

Out of the corner of Tony's eye, he can see that Camille is on the edge of her seat, her face pale and fingers moving nervously.

Apparently not noticing (or doing a damn good job of pretending he does not), Mr. Drapper says warmly, "I want to start by thanking the both of you for all of your hard work. You both have been incredible assets to our little branch of Truegen." He flashes a winning smile that appears to put Camille at a slight ease. "And both of your submissions were... excellent. It really was hard to choose a project to put our resources too. It was both a pleasure, and hard work making up my mind," Mr. Drapper says, and this pulls a small blush from Camille, "but in the end, I could only choose one."

Mr. Drapper can apparently feel the tension in the room, likely savoring the moment he is building up to; like the host on some reality TV show where the host is getting ready to announce the winner, or who is about to be voted off. He looks immaculate in his perfect suit, and his gaze rests first on Tony, then on Camille. Finally he says, "So it is with great pleasure that I can say that we will be going forward with... Camille's proposal to build the new Google Campus in the residential neighborhood of The Mission District."

Tony is slammed with a barrage of different emotions, surprise, confusion, outrage. Camille lets out a high pitched squeal of glee. Her proposal is outlandish and unsustainable! It would be impossibly expensive to acquire that property, let alone the permits to destroy housing and build new offices. They would be displacing hundreds, maybe thousands of residents! The local outrage alone would probably shut the whole thing down!
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

I try not to shake my head in disbelief "The mission....? How....is that possible?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Drapper's entire body tightens slightly at Tony's words, and a grimace appears on his lips though it is quickly suppressed. "I'm sorry Tony," Mr. Drapper says, a well practiced sympathetic smile appearing to show his pearly white perfect teeth, "but we are going with Camille's proposal."

Tony can see Camille glaring at him with a triumphant spiteful grin, but she says nothing. Mr. Drapper leans across his desk to pat Tony on the shoulder as if to say something sympathetic, but all that comes out is a quiet, "Please don't make this difficult Tony." He glances nervously back at Camille.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

I don't even try to make the pretensions of a smile. Might as well start looking for a new place to work at. "Of course, if it is in the best interest of the firm"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Draper removes his hand from Tony's shoulder and frowns, and a pathetic apology of "I'm sorry," practically stumbles out of his mouth.

Spoiler: Out of Character
    Show
    Please give me a Composure + Empathy roll please. Checking your character sheet that will be 3d10, with successes tallying off of 8, 9, or 10 and 10's exploding and getting rerolled for additional successes. You can spend a Willpower point (Tony has 4 to use per "scene") to add an additional 3d10. If it fails you can choose to take a dramatic failure for a beat (1/5 an experience point), in exchange for something terrible happening.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

(3d10)[5][10][4](19)

Rolling.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Something suddenly clicks for Tony, in the way Draper is behaving. The hesitance, the apologies, the subtle uncertainty; Draper is hiding something... or is not being completely honest with Tony. There is something else going on here. Maybe now wasn't the time to figure it out, or maybe Tony should force the subject now.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    See the OOC thread where I rerolled Tony's 10 again
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

I turn to Camille "Congratulations Camille" and then back to Drapper "Has the Mayor's office already been provided with a community Impact Report?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Not yet," Draper says, hastily adding, "But we are working on it. Is this a... a project you would be interested in getting involved with?"
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Hmm, I am sure this has rot underneath the floor boards, and getting involved might be a good way to confirm that.
    "Uh, of course. I want what is in the best interest of the firm, I'll help in what capacity I can."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Tony's answer seems to bring a rush of relief to Draper's face. The muscles unclench in his jaw and forehead, and an easy smile crosses his face. "Well that would be really great Tony. That is very gracious of you. Outstanding!" he says, offering a hand one more time to shake. "I'll get you all the information later today, if that's alright. There's no immediate rush of course, but the sooner we getting rolling, the better. You know how it is."
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

I shake Drapper's hand. "Sure, thank you. After letting go of his hand, I turn around and walk back to my desk.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Drapper's handshake is firm, a confidence returned to his grin and his grip. But he closes the door behind Tony, leaving Camille in the office with him. It almost feels like the two are going to start gloating behind Tony's back.

Tony returns to his desk, basically knowing that he will b unable to focus on any further work for the rest of the day. Even worse was the text message waiting Tony from Sophia, "Any news yet??? The suspense is killing me!"
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Crap, all I need is this conversation right now. I text back "I'll fill you in when I get back, heading home soon"

I need to nurse a drink or two before I have to share my disappointment.....
    I put away my paperwork, save my files and get ready to head out.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Leaving the office, Tony finds himself at a local tavern that he had never visited, right outside of North Beach. The place was called "The Night Owl", and was the kind of place you took a date to if you wanted to impress her and didn't mind spending money. It was dimly lit, fancy, quiet, which meant Tony would likely be left alone.

Though it was still pretty early and the place wasn't too crowded, a queue had been set up with red felt rope, and a tall muscular bouncer who barely fit into his dark suit uniform guarded the door. The man lets Tony in without much of a problem.

The young man finds himself sitting at the near end of the bar, sitting on a high dark wood stool, several seats away from the nearest patron. The counter top is is a creamy white marble and looks impressively expensive. The bar tender is young, an attractive brunette in a dark dress; she looks like she's ready to go on a date herself. She eyes Tony questioningly and smiles at him before approaching and asking for his drink order.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

****, my brain is fried. "Whatever strikes your mood and is strong, thanks."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The bartender raises an eyebrow at Tony's despondent response, but pretending to ignore it, puts on a warm persistent smile. "How about an Old Fashioned then, my specialty is a smokey scotch Old Fashioned. That will cheer you right up sugar." She doesn't wait for Tony's reply, getting straight to making the drink. The bartender clearly knows what she is doing, her hands working deftly in a practiced manner as she makes the dark pungent cocktail in a heavy crystal tumbler. "That will do you right sugar," she says with a wink, passing the drink over to Tony. "I hope you don't mind," she adds casually, "but our register is out, so we are only taking card at the moment."
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

I nod quickly "Thanks, yeah no problem", drink half the glass, and start fishing my wallet out of my bag.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Tony pulls out a card, handing it over to the bartender. She takes it, but glancing at it seems to give her pause. A wry grin spreads across the pretty bartender's face and after a moment of thought says, "I'm sorry Mr. D'Agostino, but your money is no good here." She hands the card back to Tony, a blush spreading on her already attractive cheeks.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

I take my card back with an uncertain look on my face "This is my first time here, you sure you aren't mixing me up with a different D'Agostino?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Tony's reply brings a moment's confusion to the bartender's face. But her quizzical expression quickly disappears behind the same practiced warm smile. "I'm pretty confident sweetheart," she says with a wink before asking, "Besides, how many D'Agostinos do you think there are in this city? It's too bad the boss isn't in tonight, otherwise I'm sure he'd love to come speak with you." She says this all very matter-o'factly, as if there was nothing strange going on.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

"Huh...well, thank you!" I sip the rest of the drink; I should probably go before they realize they gave a free drink to the wrong guy.