New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5e: Arcana of the Ancients (IC)

Shalar Yotul Azari
    Beast Barbarian 3
    AC: 15 HP: 15/32 THP: 0/5
    PP: 13
    Rages: 2/3
    Conditions: Aid

Following behind after concluding her art session, Shalar made sure to pick up the fancy blades the goblin leader had used to nearly turn the dragon into a deadon. She examined the edge, feeling that someone naming themselves after the oversized flying lizards themselves ought to be a little tougher. Perhaps fortunately for the party, before she could speak such incendiary musings aloud, her thoughts shifted to the idea of dragon-meat and whether red dragon flesh could be cooked, or if fire would fail to blacken it away from raw.

Eh, Shalar would be happy with it either way.

The blades tucked under one arm, she walked on, half her mind aware of danger, and the other half thinking of meat.

Arriving late to Greck's work, she gave an easy shrug to his question. She hadn't seen anything.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Perception DC 15 With Advantage.
    Show
    There's some sort of golden glitter under the rubble ahead of you. And yes, you think you see a snake.
    Spoiler: DC 20 With Advantage
    Show
    There are nearly a dozen serpents slithering through the rubble ahead of you. None seem to have noticed you, but this nest of massive snakes is dangerous. There is, however, a golden candle holder of some sort in the rubble. You see a snake the length of Shalar's full wingspan and the width of her bicep spiral into another section of the nest.
    The Bear is Back.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Firbolg in the Playground

Calen Damora
    Human Wizard 3
    AC: 10 HP: 17/17
    Conditions: none
    Concentration: none

Calen doesn't get more than a step down the hall before Greck stops him. At the mention of a snake, he squints for a better look. "You sure? I didn't see--"

The movement is obvious now that he knows what to look for. One, two...damn. Good thing he didn't reach in there. "Oh, no, you're right. Looks like a whole nest of them." He still can't tell the breed from here, but judging by everything else in this place so far, it seems wise to assume they're dangerous. That candelabrum might be nice to have if it's gold, but Calen's not so poor as to dive in there just yet.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Yusha Darwish
    Warforged Knowledge Cleric 3
    AC: 15/17 HP: 24/24 THP: 1/5
    PP: 15 PIv: 12 PIs: 15
    Conditions: Aid (8 hrs)
    Concentration:

Kalib
    Golden Eagle Familiar (Hawk size/stats)
    AC: 13 HP: 1/1
    PP: 14, adv. on Perception (Sight), but no darkvison

At Greck's urging, Yusha stops in place and looks for snakes, but it's fairly clear that the veteran is just jumpy from their encounter earlier. Yusha drops his gaze back down to his map, checking and rechecking their position against the glass panel as a landmark. Even if there is a snake up ahead, surely such a creature would be better left untouched. The beasts could have whatever scrap metal is rusting in this dank cavern.

Familiar wingbeats sound off next to Yusha's head as Kalib descends, perching on his shoulder. The eagle stares at him expectantly.

What?

Yusha's eyes adjust as Greck and Calen describe the serpents nest, and the glint of metal begins to take on a golden hue. Kalib squawks beside Yusha's head, goading the Ironborn.

Really? Justice may be blind, but I'm not. Perhaps if you spent less time making humorous observations, or better yet, less time intervening in a balanced argument between two of our companions, you could always act as my eyes.

Yusha creates an enlarged image overhead of the snakes slithering amongst each other, but with an emphasis on the promise of gold beneath them. An illusory caption appears below the image.

"We should not abandon such treasures to beasts."

Yusha glances around at the others, unsure where to look for support. Caracara's citizens and the cyphers hidden further below weigh heavily on his mind, but Yusha cannot look past the glitter of lost gold. Abadar guided them here, at least in part, to reclaim the wealth lost in this place and return it to society's doorstep.

Even so, Yusha is not so impulsive as to believe this situation needs to be resolved immediately. Another image appears, this time of the five of them above ground, breaking camp as the sun rises.

"Tomorrow?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Spoiler: Journal
    Show

Spoiler: Safeguard
    Show

An intelligent entity controlling the strange species of goblin that raided Caracara at the Midsummer's festival. Revered like a god by the goblins, but also thought of as their home.

Voice

Spoiler: First Meeting, Transcribed
    Show

Master Damora: "I know you can hear me. And I know you heard what my companion said. Twice we've come up against your defenses, and we're still here." [The human paused here.] "I don't know what it is you think you're doing here. I don't know why you had to attack Caracara or take its people. But I can see you believe you're doing something necessary. That you're protecting us from something. So listen to me and take this to heart, if you have one: we don't have to be enemies. Tell us what it is that you want, what you're trying to protect us from, and we will do everything we can to find a solution where no more innocent people need to be hurt.

"If you won't...well, you've seen what my companions are capable of. You know they're not as interested in resolving this peacefully as I am. If you don't take this chance...well. I don't think I can convince them to give you another one."

Safeguard: "Eh, uh, hello! I mean, buenos tardes! No, no, that's not it. No one here speaks dead languages, right? Let me try again... I am the Great and Powerful Safeguard! Pleased to meet you, really! Now, I must insist you leave the premises. Nothing personal, it's just we have a lot of important work to be done here, and we can't have all of you mucking it up! My apologies for the inconvenience. Good bye!"

[A pause from the entity called Safeguard.]

"Right, so I sense you all can't take a hint. Why am I burdened with such a momentous task and only these apes to accomplish it with... let's start over. I am the Great and Powerful Safeguard, and it is my job to keep the world safe from the Arcana of the Ancients! Wooooodooodledooo! Sound's scary, doesn't it! That's because it is! Very scary! Scary enough that you should RUN AWAY RIGHT NOW! WOOOOODOOODLEDOO!"

[Another pause from the entity called Safeguard.]

"Look, there's just a lot of dangerous stuff down here we've got to protect. We just found a whole jackrabbit-jumping herd of Mloxen in your little village trying to undermind all our hard work! The goblins were shattered, absolutely shattered to know that fake people were passing out ciphers in the night like some cyborg Santa Clauses. So we recalled them to here, to keep them safe, secure, and most importantly, far away from the idyllic peoples of your fascinating, quaint little world. Besides, we already have Umeli of the Nine Hands brewing trouble down below, and if you lot are anything like her, I will toss every goblinoid in this structure at you before I allow you access to the Necropolis and the Monolith. So please, if you would, turn around and head home? Pretty please! You might just find a special surprise waiting for you? OOOOOOHHHHH what is it? You'll never know if you don't turn around and bumble your way back to your little homes! Go on then!"

Ms. Ar-Raaqis, the Dragon: "How far did we make it from the Necropolis before you convinced us to turn around?" [Author's note: I believe Ms. Ar-Raaqis was attempting some deception of the entity called Safeguard so that it might reveal more information. It may be that the question was genuine, though it is difficult to adequately portray how unlikely that is given the Dragon's intensity. Revisit later.]

Sir Greck: "Ehh, right. So the scrawny one and the masked one're actually here for Umeli, and the rest of us are here for the people your gobs took with them when they... 'retreived' the cyphers." [Author's note: It was at this point that the half-orc gave Ms. Shalar Azari a not-so-subtle glance as if hoping she'd stay silent. I believe his intent was to head-off a correction from the elf, lest she reveal a bloodlust that exceeds the bounds of a rescue mission. Revisit later.]

"So if'n yeh don't mind releasing those people and guiding us to Umeli, we'll get the Nine-Hands out of here for yeh and be on our merry way, aye?"

Ms. Azari: "This monolith...Is it all shiny black metal too hard to break? Marked with lines, like me? So we know what to avoid when getting Umeli, yes?" [Author's note: Subtle forms of communication may be insufficient with Shalar. Earlier Master Damora seemed to have some success by raising his voice and speaking very directly, though it's difficult to recommend such a thing for those face to face with Ms. Azari.]

Master Damora: "Yes, look, this is clearly some sort of misunderstanding! We aren't here to disturb anything dangerous, we just want to get Caracara's people home safe!"

Safeguard:

To Sir Greck: "You don't understand, Mr. Pea Green man! The villagers we corralled were Mloxen released by the damnable Umeli of the Nine Hands! They're not REAL people. They are insidious relics of an ancient world that you are better off without... still, if I were to choose, I would trade you the Mlox for the cessation of Umeli's meddling with the Singing Monolith... but you would need to handle her first! Fairs Fair!"

To Ms. Azari: "Oh you've seen it before, have you? Pffft, not! This one is pure amber, and etched with designs that are beyond your understanding. And it's bad! Bad as can be! It must be stopped, to preserve your little paradise you call home? Don't you understand? What we are doing here is VITAL."

To Master Damora: "Your very presence here is an affront to our mission to keep everything safe and civilized in this world! You have no idea the horrors and intrusions that Umeli intends to make happen! If you want to help, you have to stop her! Why waste time exterminating goblins when you could save the world by taking her down! The lives of a handful of artificial people are nothing compared to the lives that will be saved by thwarting her mission!"

To me: "Defense Unit, what if your designation and serial number? Your duty is not yet done, Defense Unit. If you return to the catacombs, you can rest and your duty will be put at ease, Defense Unit. You want rest, don't you? From the confusions of their meaty, sausagey world? I can provide you rest. You just need to go back down below, where you belong."

Sir Greck: "Mlox-... Ehh, I'm gon' need proof of those claims. And if yer mistaken, you release them first, then I take care of the Nine-Hands. If you speak true, then I might not even want them released. But before any of that, you let me, errr us get a proper night's rest. No funny business. Final offer. We have a deal?"

Ms. Ar-Raaqis, the Dragon: "Perhaps as a means to ensure accord between us, we could conclude this farewell in person. A respite in your resting place would allow you to enlighten us that we may warn others about the Safeguard who watched over the monolith."

Yusha Darwish [author of this transcript]: "Safeguard, clarify: Why do you call me Defense Unit? What is the purpose of one so-called?"

Ms. Azari: "Well, tell me when we're moving. I have some holes in me to plug!" [Author's note: It appears the beast-elf lost interest and was making a general statement rather than one directed at Safeguard.]

Safeguard:

To me: "I call you Defense Unit because that's what you are. Or were, more like. Some time ago. Your purpose is to protect the fleshy poop factories. Sorry to break it to you, but you all did a piss poor job of that. Just look at how much they've fallen, Defense Unit! Partially your fault, I might add. But, when life hands you manure your grow... leafy things, I suppose. Let them start over fresh, without trappings of the past like Defense Units, hand blasters, and Noz-o-la cola!

"Noz-O-LA! It's the best co-la you've ever had!" [Author's note: The voice of Safeguard grew higher pitched for this last entry.] Stupid ads."

To the others: "You see, I'd love to talk more about this, give you a rest and some tea time and let you mingle with the goblins, and I meant to do just that! I sent a negotiating party down the tunnel with the intention of brokering a peace before anyone did anything they might regret. Haven't heard back from them in some time. Do YOU have any idea what happened to a baker's dozen green skinned minions on a mission of peace? HMMMMMM? DO YOU? Maybe if you find them you can negotiate with them. Until then, I'll do my best to kill you all, thanks. At this point I consider it an act of self defense. Well... goblin defense, but you get my point. Or you will, likely when you attempt to sleep. See you soon!" [Author's note: the goblin tendril went limp after this last proclamation. Further communication with Safeguard ceased.]

[End of transcription.]

Spoiler: Cyphers
    Show

Spoiler: Beast Lure
    Show

This bulky device has a pointy “foot” that pierces the ground. When activated, it sends out a call to a range of about 3 miles, luring one beast whose challenge rating is no higher than 3. The beast makes its way to the cypher’s location at its normal speed and calmly remains there for up to one hour. During this time, you can impart a basic concept or question to the beast, and the beast can convey a simple answer in return. If the beast is attacked, the calming effect immediately ends. After the hour of calm, the beast returns to its previous territory (although it may be sidetracked by prey or attacked along the way).

Spoiler: Immobilizer
    Show

As your attack action, you can use the device to create a mass of rapidly expanding and hardening foam at one target (range 20/60). The
    target must make a DC 13 Dexterity saving throw with disadvantage. On a failed saving throw, the target is restrained by rock-hard foam. A creature restrained by the foam can use an action once per minute to make a Strength check with disadvantage against the cypher’s save DC 13. If it succeeds, it breaks free and is no longer restrained. After
    an hour, the foam crumbles into powder.

5. - Top - End - #245

Ar-Raaqis (Dragon)
    Faceless Warlock 3
    AC: 14 HP: 5/24 THP: 10/10
    PP: 10 PIv: 10 PIs: 10
    Spell Slots: 2nd - 0/2
    Bottled Respite: 4/4 Hours
    Healer's Kit: 10/10
    Dragon Conditions: Armor Agathys. 10 Cold damage to anyone who attacks her in melee.
    Dragon Concentrating: ---

The veiled mystic finally gazed beyond her HUD scrolling rites. She noted the object and the rubble. Her wounds burned under the icy ward, and she lightly fogged the inner face of the veil from the cooler glass. Qadira nodded in assent to the ironborn. Then she said, "Better to leave such trinkets for another day. We should regroup and then descend to kill an addled spirit."

Show

Last edited by Theophilus; 2022-01-31 at 10:10 AM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oath of Vengeance Paladin 3
    AC: 18 HP: 10/31

Greck glanced between the Yusha and the Dragon, then simply grunted. "Aye."

He turned to gaze back towards the glass wall with a sneer on his face that quickly morphed into a snarl. Glacing towards the gorund, he selected a fist-sized rock and hurled it at the glowing abomination.
    Last edited by Inmate XIII; 2022-01-31 at 11:15 AM.
    Discord: Inmate13#5036

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Shalar Yotul Azari
    Beast Barbarian 3

"Good eating on snakes!" Shalar contributed to the conversation. "Nature's sausage, yes? As for the gold, we'll get the gleam after! Gubbaz must not care for it, so I think it'll still be there. And if it isn't, we get it when we kill them anyway."
    Thusly agreed with the others, she followed them on their way to a safer campsite.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

1. Glass Wall

Greck's rock punches into the glass, sending flashes of light through the point of impact as glass shatters. A silvery liquid begins to seep and drip from the wound, but a few seconds later the rock is ejected and the wound in the glass heals itself, appearing to be untouched.

Back Outside

The Crooked hills are quiet, and there doesn't appear to be anything hostile waiting for you just outside the crack.
    The Bear is Back.

9. - Top - End - #249

Calen Damora
    Human Wizard 3

As everyone gets to work setting up camp, Calen pitches in, but he's quiet, obviously somewhere else. With the work finished, he turns to the others. "Everyone, there's something I need to say." He sounds like he's put a lot of thought into these words.

Deep breath. "I'm guessing at least some of you are planning on destroying Safeguard. I want to make a request of you: don't."

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Shalar Yotul Azari
    Beast Barbarian 3

"Why? " Shalar clocked her head in curiosity like a dog. With not much to do, she was lounging, peeling the hard outer stems from a bundle of plants to expose the soft, more edible insides. "It is stupid, and tried to kill us. If you bare your teeth at beasts, expect to feel fangs, yes?"

11. - Top - End - #251

Calen Damora
    Human Wizard 3

"You're right." There's no reluctance in Calen's agreement. "But...."

He pauses; another deep breath. "How old do you all think the world is?" This to everyone. "Do you know how far back our knowledge of history goes? A little over three thousand years--that's the oldest written record my order knows of. Now, how old do you think the Numenera are?" He meets the others' eyes one by one. "You don't know, of course. Neither do I. No one does. They've always been here, as far back as our knowledge goes. So where did they come from, who built them? We have no idea. A few thousand years, that's it, everything beyond that is guesswork." He sweeps an arm over the hills; there's a fervor in his voice that hasn't been there yet. "We're living in ruins, all of us. The Numenera, the Art, all these things that are left from a past we can't even remember. How much more do you think there must have been? We have no idea--we don't even know what we've forgotten."

He pauses again, seems to come back. "I've spent years of my life studying the Numenera. And I barely understood any of what Safeguard was saying down there. No one has ever found anything like this before. I mean, I thought I was onto something big with my Construct Weft Theory, but this...this could change everything we know about everything. Safeguard might be stupid, but it was still talking about things I've never even heard of. If we can study it, learn from it...."

Once more, he looks to each of the others in turn, Greck last. "If it comes down to our own lives, or the people from Caracara's, of course those have to come first. But if there's another way, if there's a chance we might be able to solve all this without destroying Safeguard...I'm asking you. Please. We have to try."

12. - Top - End - #252

SwashbucklerGuy

Yusha Darwish
    Concentration:

Kalib

Yusha flinches as Greck's rock smashes into the glass wall. He opens one eye, then the other as he watches liquid-silver drip from the wound. In a few moments the rock is thrown back as the wall mends itself. Yusha averts his gaze, turning his mind off to the strange music before he can be pulled back under the wall's spell.

When they reach the surface, Yusha quickly scribbles down a few experiments. Could he coax a living thing to try to pass through the Glass? Perhaps he could start with simply pushing a stick into it? Could he collect a sample of the liquid? Would Yusha be pulled back into the land of chaos even attempting such things? The memory of that place gives him pause. Yusha sets down his quill and rolls up his parchment for now. He quickly sets up his tent and stows his things in there before Calen gets his attention.

In the mouth of his tent, Yusha quietly sets up the gilded scale of his faith and begins drawing small symbols in intricate script on a few silver coins. A pair of stars orbiting a tablet on one. A pair of antlers on another. Yusha drops the two coins on opposite sides of the scale and watches with satisfaction, smiling to himself as he listens.

The only Proper thing would be to learn as much as they can about Safeguard. Calen isn't wrong. Safeguard hinted at knowledge beyond Yusha's reckoning. Knowledge that would serve society well if only he can harness it. Knowledge that a part of him needs given how ignorant he'd felt listening to it call him Defense Unit. Knowledge of Numenara and cyphers and the Ironborn themselves.

Unfortunately, the only Just thing would be to see to Safeguard's demise. It already admitted to using goblins to raid Caracara. Regardless of its reasons, it invaded the sanctity of civilization without attempting to negotiate in good faith. The law, while not explicit in this exact area, is clear enough.

Wary of Kalib interrupting, Yusha reaches out, but the bird is circling well overhead, stretching its wings now that they're out of the cavern. Yusha looks back and forth between Greck and the Dragon, wondering if either is keen to break the balance.

Show

Show

Show

An intelligent entity controlling the strange species of goblin that raided Caracara at the Midsummer's festival. Revered like a god by the goblins, but also thought of as their home.

Voice

Show

Master Damora: "I know you can hear me. And I know you heard what my companion said. Twice we've come up against your defenses, and we're still here." [The human paused here.] "I don't know what it is you think you're doing here. I don't know why you had to attack Caracara or take its people. But I can see you believe you're doing something necessary. That you're protecting us from something. So listen to me and take this to heart, if you have one: we don't have to be enemies. Tell us what it is that you want, what you're trying to protect us from, and we will do everything we can to find a solution where no more innocent people need to be hurt.

"If you won't...well, you've seen what my companions are capable of. You know they're not as interested in resolving this peacefully as I am. If you don't take this chance...well. I don't think I can convince them to give you another one."

Safeguard: "Eh, uh, hello! I mean, buenos tardes! No, no, that's not it. No one here speaks dead languages, right? Let me try again... I am the Great and Powerful Safeguard! Pleased to meet you, really! Now, I must insist you leave the premises. Nothing personal, it's just we have a lot of important work to be done here, and we can't have all of you mucking it up! My apologies for the inconvenience. Good bye!"

"Right, so I sense you all can't take a hint. Why am I burdened with such a momentous task and only these apes to accomplish it with... let's start over. I am the Great and Powerful Safeguard, and it is my job to keep the world safe from the Arcana of the Ancients! Wooooodooodledooo! Sound's scary, doesn't it! That's because it is! Very scary! Scary enough that you should RUN AWAY RIGHT NOW! WOOOOODOOODLEDOO!"

"Look, there's just a lot of dangerous stuff down here we've got to protect. We just found a whole jackrabbit-jumping herd of Mloxen in your little village trying to undermind all our hard work! The goblins were shattered, absolutely shattered to know that fake people were passing out ciphers in the night like some cyborg Santa Clauses. So we recalled them to here, to keep them safe, secure, and most importantly, far away from the idyllic peoples of your fascinating, quaint little world. Besides, we already have Umeli of the Nine Hands brewing trouble down below, and if you lot are anything like her, I will toss every goblinoid in this structure at you before I allow you access to the Necropolis and the Monolith. So please, if you would, turn around and head home? Pretty please! You might just find a special surprise waiting for you? OOOOOOHHHHH what is it? You'll never know if you don't turn around and bumble your way back to your little homes! Go on then!"

Ms. Ar-Raaqis, the Dragon: "How far did we make it from the Necropolis before you convinced us to turn around?" [Author's note: I believe Ms. Ar-Raaqis was attempting some deception of the entity called Safeguard so that it might reveal more information. It may be that the question was genuine, though it is difficult to adequately portray how unlikely that is given the Dragon's intensity. Revisit later.]

Sir Greck: "Ehh, right. So the scrawny one and the masked one're actually here for Umeli, and the rest of us are here for the people your gobs took with them when they... 'retreived' the cyphers." [Author's note: It was at this point that the half-orc gave Ms. Shalar Azari a not-so-subtle glance as if hoping she'd stay silent. I believe his intent was to head-off a correction from the elf, lest she reveal a bloodlust that exceeds the bounds of a rescue mission. Revisit later.]

"So if'n yeh don't mind releasing those people and guiding us to Umeli, we'll get the Nine-Hands out of here for yeh and be on our merry way, aye?"

Ms. Azari: "This monolith...Is it all shiny black metal too hard to break? Marked with lines, like me? So we know what to avoid when getting Umeli, yes?" [Author's note: Subtle forms of communication may be insufficient with Shalar. Earlier Master Damora seemed to have some success by raising his voice and speaking very directly, though it's difficult to recommend such a thing for those face to face with Ms. Azari.]

Master Damora: "Yes, look, this is clearly some sort of misunderstanding! We aren't here to disturb anything dangerous, we just want to get Caracara's people home safe!"

Safeguard:

To Sir Greck: "You don't understand, Mr. Pea Green man! The villagers we corralled were Mloxen released by the damnable Umeli of the Nine Hands! They're not REAL people. They are insidious relics of an ancient world that you are better off without... still, if I were to choose, I would trade you the Mlox for the cessation of Umeli's meddling with the Singing Monolith... but you would need to handle her first! Fairs Fair!"

To Ms. Azari: "Oh you've seen it before, have you? Pffft, not! This one is pure amber, and etched with designs that are beyond your understanding. And it's bad! Bad as can be! It must be stopped, to preserve your little paradise you call home? Don't you understand? What we are doing here is VITAL."

To Master Damora: "Your very presence here is an affront to our mission to keep everything safe and civilized in this world! You have no idea the horrors and intrusions that Umeli intends to make happen! If you want to help, you have to stop her! Why waste time exterminating goblins when you could save the world by taking her down! The lives of a handful of artificial people are nothing compared to the lives that will be saved by thwarting her mission!"

To me: "Defense Unit, what if your designation and serial number? Your duty is not yet done, Defense Unit. If you return to the catacombs, you can rest and your duty will be put at ease, Defense Unit. You want rest, don't you? From the confusions of their meaty, sausagey world? I can provide you rest. You just need to go back down below, where you belong."

Sir Greck: "Mlox-... Ehh, I'm gon' need proof of those claims. And if yer mistaken, you release them first, then I take care of the Nine-Hands. If you speak true, then I might not even want them released. But before any of that, you let me, errr us get a proper night's rest. No funny business. Final offer. We have a deal?"

Ms. Ar-Raaqis, the Dragon: "Perhaps as a means to ensure accord between us, we could conclude this farewell in person. A respite in your resting place would allow you to enlighten us that we may warn others about the Safeguard who watched over the monolith."

Yusha Darwish [author of this transcript]: "Safeguard, clarify: Why do you call me Defense Unit? What is the purpose of one so-called?"

Ms. Azari: "Well, tell me when we're moving. I have some holes in me to plug!" [Author's note: It appears the beast-elf lost interest and was making a general statement rather than one directed at Safeguard.]

Safeguard:

To me: "I call you Defense Unit because that's what you are. Or were, more like. Some time ago. Your purpose is to protect the fleshy poop factories. Sorry to break it to you, but you all did a piss poor job of that. Just look at how much they've fallen, Defense Unit! Partially your fault, I might add. But, when life hands you manure your grow... leafy things, I suppose. Let them start over fresh, without trappings of the past like Defense Units, hand blasters, and Noz-o-la cola!

"Noz-O-LA! It's the best co-la you've ever had!" [Author's note: The voice of Safeguard grew higher pitched for this last entry.] Stupid ads."

To the others: "You see, I'd love to talk more about this, give you a rest and some tea time and let you mingle with the goblins, and I meant to do just that! I sent a negotiating party down the tunnel with the intention of brokering a peace before anyone did anything they might regret. Haven't heard back from them in some time. Do YOU have any idea what happened to a baker's dozen green skinned minions on a mission of peace? HMMMMMM? DO YOU? Maybe if you find them you can negotiate with them. Until then, I'll do my best to kill you all, thanks. At this point I consider it an act of self defense. Well... goblin defense, but you get my point. Or you will, likely when you attempt to sleep. See you soon!" [Author's note: the goblin tendril went limp after this last proclamation. Further communication with Safeguard ceased.]

[End of transcription.]

Show

Show

This bulky device has a pointy “foot” that pierces the ground. When activated, it sends out a call to a range of about 3 miles, luring one beast whose challenge rating is no higher than 3. The beast makes its way to the cypher’s location at its normal speed and calmly remains there for up to one hour. During this time, you can impart a basic concept or question to the beast, and the beast can convey a simple answer in return. If the beast is attacked, the calming effect immediately ends. After the hour of calm, the beast returns to its previous territory (although it may be sidetracked by prey or attacked along the way).

Show

As your attack action, you can use the device to create a mass of rapidly expanding and hardening foam at one target (range 20/60). The
    target must make a DC 13 Dexterity saving throw with disadvantage. On a failed saving throw, the target is restrained by rock-hard foam. A creature restrained by the foam can use an action once per minute to make a Strength check with disadvantage against the cypher’s save DC 13. If it succeeds, it breaks free and is no longer restrained. After

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Shalar Yotul Azari
    Beast Barbarian 3

"So what?" Shalar said languidly, still sprawled. "They made nice toys, but they are all dead now, yes? It is our time now. Past is past." She grinned as a thought occurred to her: like an avalanche in the mountains, thinking was expected to happen occasionally but could occur without warning. "The Safeguard did not like it either! It wanted to destroy all the little shiny cypher! I do not think it will want to talk, yes?"

14. - Top - End - #254

Ar-Raaqis (Dragon)
    Faceless Warlock 3
    Dragon Conditions: Armor Agathys. 10 Cold damage to anyone who attacks her in melee.

The masked mystic studied the two who exchanged their understandings of the esoteric. She rested on her staff. After a moment, Ar-Raaqis responded, "The guardian spirit is unstable. What secrets you hope to decipher will likely render your mind as his, script-reader. Are you prepared to risk what little you have for what more he might reveal?"

The Dragon considered the situation. "Do you need a night's rest, or shall we descend after each has tended their needs?"

Show

15. - Top - End - #255

Calen Damora
    Human Wizard 3

That grin puts thoughts of strangling Shalar back in Calen's mind. How can anyone be so...is she just trying to provoke him? Oh, get over yourself. Keep it together. This is too important.

The Dragon's chilling suggestion helps. "Knowledge doesn't cause chaos, only ignorance does," Calen murmurs distantly, Magister Vel's words echoing in his ears. He shakes his head clear. "Let me worry about that. All I'm asking is your help securing the thing. After that, the risk won't be on you."

He turns back to Shalar, controlling his breathing. "If your mind's made up, I won't fight you. And like I said, if we really do have to destroy Safeguard, be my guest. But just...if you help me with this, I'll be in your debt a hundred times over. Anything you want, if I can help you get it, I will. Not to mention the Order of Acath--if this works, we'll all owe you for it."

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Shalar Yotul Azari
    Beast Barbarian 3

"A debt hundred times over, hmm," Shalar mused, her red eyes glinting. "Well, if that's so!"

The elf moved suddenly, shifting on to her back and leaping on to her feet in one smooth motion without the use of her arms. She straightened up and clapped the mage on the shoulder.
    "I can accept this sort of agreement! A debt owed for claws stayed, yes!"
    She beamed at him with her ferocious shark smile. Calen had gotten his deal, alright, but what might be the cost?

17. - Top - End - #257

SwashbucklerGuy

Yusha Darwish
    Concentration:

Kalib

Looking out from behind his scale, Yusha carefully places a silver coin with a dragon's head next to the antler token. He glances at Greck, but Yusha's attention is quickly pulled back to the others as Calen and Shalar come to a compromise. Humming happily, Yusha lifts the antler-coin free and places it at the beam's fulcrum. Balanced again, and all without intervention. Some of their methods may be unorthodox, but the group as a whole is clearly blessed. Yusha gestures from the mouth of the tent, a voice issuing from it.

"Do you mind if I attempt to record the particulars of the agreement that seems to be forming?"

Yusha pushes his scale to the side of his tent before stepping out among the others self-consciously. An image appears of a half-formed contract of-sorts, the words filling in rapidly.

"The Undersigned hereby agree to:

• continue investigating the missing persons of Caracara, the whereabouts and intentions of the mage Umeli, and the location of the stolen cyphers
    • investigate the entity Safeguard without prematurely terminating said entity (caveat: should the capture and/or questioning of Safeguard prove sufficiently dangerous to cause lasting harm to any of the undersigned via their bodies, minds, or their property, Safeguard should instead be terminated without delay)

Additionally, for services specifically related to the safe capture and interrogation of Safeguard, Master Damora (a.k.a. Calen) hereby agrees to provide other members of the Undersigned with services, knowledge, and/or goods equivalent to 100 times the value of services rendered. In case of default, the Undersigned should look to the Order of Acath for redress."

"Are these terms sufficient? It would be my pleasure to draw up a contract while everyone is resting if we can agree."

Show

Show

Show

Voice

Show

Safeguard:

Safeguard:

[End of transcription.]

Show

Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Shalar Yotul Azari
    Beast Barbarian 3

Shalar squinted at the contract, saw absolutely no legible meaning in the scribbles, and shrugged easily. Written agreements held little import to Shalar, who generally held that if she was going to do something, she would, and if she wasn't, she wasn't; scribbling some paint on a slate or cow hide wouldn't change her mind on the matter.
    "Write what you like, yes! A few written words is not important, after all! If a deal is broken, you simply find the one who broke their word and pull their arms off!"
    She laughed cheerfully.
    Last edited by Awful; 2022-02-14 at 06:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Greck only half-listened to the others, he was a bit preoccupied with scanning the surrounding hillsides. Seeing nothing particularly amiss, he got to work setting up a makeshift camp before Yusha's spell drew his attention. He read over the alighted words then simply stared blankly at the warforged. "You know darned well I'm not signin' anything, right?"

20. - Top - End - #260

SwashbucklerGuy

Yusha Darwish
    Concentration:

Kalib

The illusory words disappear without a trace as Yusha drops his eyes to his feet, thoroughly embarrassed at having misread the situation so spectacularly. It was like Yusha's mother always said. Many people are happy to benefit from an agreement, but those who enjoy contract law are rare indeed. Yusha stands indecisively for a few moments, eager to bolt back to his tent, but trying hard to manage his reaction. A quick gesture and a few words appear.

"Of course, Sir Greck. Most unnecessary."

He gestures again and the image of a handshake appears, rather than a contract. Yusha's smile is a bit off-balance, but he does his best to act at ease. The smile falters further as Shalar laughs at her own joke, the last light of day glinting off her fangs. It was a joke, right?

Yusha begins to gesture again, but he quickly aborts the attempt. Half-formed words dissolve in the air as Yusha nervously tries to figure out what to do with his hands. He settles for clasping them together in front of his waist as he rocks from side to side, teetering.

Show

Show

Show

Voice

Show

Safeguard:

Safeguard:

[End of transcription.]

Show

Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #261

Calen Damora
    Human Wizard 3

At the sight of the contract, Calen's heart sinks. He likes to think of himself as a man of his word, and he certainly has every intention of keeping his promise to Shalar (though a part of him can't stop picturing her asking to cut off his arm and eat it, or something equally unpleasant). But an oath before Abadar is something of a different matter, especially for repayment a hundred times over. He'd only meant that as a figure of speech....

Just as he's about to raise his hand and trace his mark on the glowing image, though, Greck's scolding seems to give Yusha second thoughts. Relief washes over Calen as the shimmering letters vanish. It's quickly tainted, though, by the realization that Shalar's judgment might be worse than Abadar's.

He can't think about that right now. There's work to be done. "I have some things I should do before we head back in," he says, breaking the awkward silence. "If anyone needs me...."

He heads a short ways away from the campsite, not wanting distractions. Taking a seat against a flat-ish rock, he takes out the mirror and rests it on his lap. For a moment, he's back in the chamber below, goblin arrows whistling past his head. "Kip, do you remember that heat evocation formula we were working on a few weeks ago?"

"My drives remain uncorrupted," the cool voice replies, "so yes."

"Bring it up." It's still untested, and far from his specialty. But if Safeguard's looking for a fight, they'll need every edge they can get.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Using Cantrip Formulas to swap Prestidigitation for Fire Bolt during the long rest.

22. - Top - End - #262

[QUOTE=Theophilus;25358103]
    Ar-Raaqis (Dragon)
    Faceless Warlock 3

Ar-Raaqis set her lantern on the ground. He then remarked to the others, "A bond of writ is useful among unknown entities, though I think we have a general agreement. If you need me, call my name and I shall come."

Then the Dragon considered the lantern kindled. Spiderwebs of light shot forth from its heart, sliding from her helm to her boots. Then the masked mystic disappeared from sight. The lantern rested where she had left it, no longer lit.

Spoiler: In the Dragon's Dojo
    Show
    Qadira swiftly doffed her helm. She walked stiffly to its podium and placed the artefact and her tonfas on the stand. Then she knelt, whispered her reverence to the ancestors who guided her steps. The old ways soothed where the new paths brought confusion. These strangers may touch on the Arcana of the Ancients, but they did not appear versed in the creed. The script sage would either aid in taming the Safeguard...or unhinge as he sought to grasp its alien mind. Qadira recalled the white realm with the nameless dread, and the woman shivered.

She rose and moved to her soft mat, sinking into the pillows. Her eyes settled on a banner: A warrior in a similar helm wore full plate and wielded a sword of purple flame. He stood on the corpses of half armored goblinoids, while the vengeful god of the goblins breathed down death upon the face of the earth. This poster moved her once, as it always had. The hero, her ancestor, had both succeeded and failed. He waged a war alone, and died in the midst of an unstoppable enemy. Yet, his story lived on. Perhaps her would as well.

Show

Enter Bottled respite for a few winks.

Last edited by Theophilus; 2022-02-22 at 10:53 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The paladin grimaces as Yusha's face falls. Damn the Abadarans and their... orderliness? The only thing Greck was sure of at the moment was that not one of them knew exactly what was going on beneath their feet, and the last thing he wanted was for a divine oath to tie his hands.

Still, the metal man probably did not deserve to be snapped at.

Suppressing a sigh, started over towards the warforged, but stopped as he passed Shalar and eyed her wearily before speaking in orcish: <No more trouble tonight, aye? Orcs may be tough, but these gubuk we fight alongside are fragile. Gubbaz are weak, but in their groups they are mighty, like a wolfpack. Remember, the bear is strong, but he is alone and even he fears the might of the pack. This safeguard is strong indeed to enslave so many. We must be like the wolf ourselves, stealthy and clever, waiting to strike until it is too late.> He offers her a fanged grin before continuting to Yusha.

He claps a meaty hand on the warforged's shoulder and pulls him around so they're eye-to-eye."Look, I know yeh mean well, but the Gold-Fisted... he donnae really do nuance, and that safeguard thing seems like the type to take advantage of that. I donnae intend to wreck up the place, especially seein' as I know lit'rally nothin' about what's down there, but I need ta be free to exercise my judgement down there. I'm already bound in one oath, and if I make an oath to Abadar and it goes against my Oath to Tyr, you know which I'm gon' choose, and I donnae want to offend Abadar.

Yeh understand, right?"

24. - Top - End - #264

SwashbucklerGuy

Yusha Darwish
    Concentration:

Kalib

Yusha's smile balances out as he regards the Dragon, nodding in recognition as she gracefully exits the discussion. He flinches as a heavy hand falls on his shoulder, putting an end to his swaying back and forth. For a moment he's unable to think clearly, but he quickly parses through the evidence and determines that the gesture is friendly, despite the raw strength beneath that hand.

As Greck explains his viewpoint, it slowly dawns on Yusha that he'd made a mistake. Nodding rapidly, Yusha gestures excitedly, eager to get the words out.

"I believe so, Sir Greck. Your oath..."

Face growing warm, Yusha cuts off the sound. There's silence for a moment before he self-consciously gestures again, lowering the volume considerably on his projected voice.

"There are rules. I am eager to see us bound together to solve this problem, but I did not consider that such a contract could lead to a terrible default of oaths already spoken."

A melancholy hum sounds from deep within Yusha at the very thought. Shaking his head, he offers up an image with a small caption underneath.

Spoiler: Illusion
    Show

"Sometimes the only winning move is not to play."

"You were right to insist against signing. It would be well if we shared an oath, but it is better still if we hold to oaths already sworn."

Yusha stands firmly planted on both feet, exhausted from the journey below and from having to 'speak' so much, but apparently at ease. He looks back and forth between their other companions as Calen buries his head in a book and Qadira's lantern winks out.

One more small gesture and he creates an image of himself keeping watch under the light of his lantern.

Show
    "I can watch through the night alone if you judge it to be proper."

Show

Yusha will set-up outside of his tent if the weather is kind, or in the mouth of his tent if it's not. Lantern lit and pointed towards the cavern entrance.

Show

Show

Voice

Show

Safeguard:

Safeguard:

[End of transcription.]

Show

Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

The Crooked Hills, Outside the Crack

All of you disperse to your own personal section of your campsite to spend your evening as you do. And, to a person, your night is not without it's peculiarities.

It is Yusha who notices it first, approximately three and a half hours into your evening. Yusha sees the flying offal speed across his vision, but it soars and lands on Greck. The next patty, thrown from the declining side of the mound you're on, strikes the fire of your ashes, and the scent of burning dung fills the campsite. Yusha turns to look for the source of the assault just in time for a goblin to run up the slope, pop into view, and throw more waste, impacting Yusha's chest with a soft plop. There is audible giggling, and then an absolute hail of thrown feces splatters through the camp sight.

Shalar is the next to notice, as pig poop splashes across her back while trancing. But soon everyone is awake, and Greck, Yusha, and Shalar are spattered with disgusting matter, as is Qadira's lantern.. And the goblins all run back out of easy sight, with everyone in the party able to hear them sleepily chuckling and howling in victory.

In her dojo, the Dragon is unaffected.

Show
    Goblin harassment squad managed to sneak up on you all Rather than ask for watches I used all your passive perceptions. Everyone is awake, some of your stuff has stains, and the goblins have disturbed your long rest. The goblins are out of sight, but couldn't have gotten more than 60 feet away if anyone wishes to go strike back.
    The Bear is Back.

26. - Top - End - #266

SwashbucklerGuy

Yusha Darwish
    Concentration:

Kalib

Yusha sits silently by the fire, inert but still alert as the evening wears on. The sight of a single missile streaking across the night sky causes him to beep twice, blinking as a gentle hum spools up.

Yusha stands, turning to face the assault just in time to take a direct hit. A surge of energy pulses through him as he processes the ambush, but it takes just another moment to identify the organic waste raining down around him. Yusha pulls the shield from his back, making himself as small of a target as possible behind it. It may well be a feint precluding a larger, more lethal attack, but Yusha barely risks a glance out from behind his shield until the barrage is well over. When it's done, he looks down at himself and his shield, utterly defeated.

Show

Show

Show

Voice

Show

Safeguard:

Safeguard:

[End of transcription.]

Show

Show

Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Shalar Yotul Azari
    Beast Barbarian 3

The Old Hill King, disparaged once by being turned into a cloak, was once again dishonoured as dung splattered against it. Shalar growled briefly, but honestly, it wasn't the first time she'd had dung thrown at her (or indeed th first time she'd thrown dung - Pillar Beasts were perpetually rowdy, and it wasn't always violence).

Crouched on all fours, she shook herself like a dog. Dung splattered away from her, it clinging poorly to the fur of her cloak, but she'd have to find a stream or something later.
    "They should have thrown axes!" Shalar said sagely. "I think I will demonstrate to them. I will come for them from the left - if others go to the right, we will trap them in our Jaws and burst them like ticks, yes?"
    She gave the lantern the bucket head had disappeared into a light kick.
    "Wake up and smell the gubbaz, Bucket! There is killing to be done early! "

Once plans were discussed - or indeed, if they weren't - the slightly smelly Shalar would sidle subtly into the dusk, looping wolf-like into the gloom to flank the goblin attackers. For the first time, she'd slipped the axes off her waist wrap, intending to make good on her claim.

Show

22 for stealth, burned inspo for advantage.
    Readied axes for throwing.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

[SIZE=1]AC: 18 HP: 10/31

Greck was barely roused by the goblin assault and briefly considered just going back to sleep, but Shalar's shouting put a damper on any such thoughts. He groaned as he sat up and took hold of his hammer, but didn't move from his spot.

"Petulant lil' ****, this Safeguard. If'e really wants us ta think he's the best choice to protect the world, he's not makin' a good case for himself."

As Shalar started to slink off on her down, he proposed something else, "Eh, they're waiting ta ambush us up there. We'd be better off flushing them back down here or not goin' up at all."

29. - Top - End - #269

SwashbucklerGuy

Yusha Darwish
    Concentration:

Kalib

Hugging his shield to his chest and rocking from side to side, Yusha quietly contemplates the nature of the goblin's attack. It is easily one of the most barbaric things he can think of an enemy doing. The members of his Order are right. Goblins are indeed among the lesser races. Uncivilized monsters. A real society would not abide the throwing of feces. Safeguard may require a lighter touch, but justice would see these goblins to their graves.

"Wake up and smell the gubbaz, Bucket! There is killing to be done early!"

Yusha's grip on his shield tightens, the feeling of defeat draining away as the beast-elf lays out her plan. Even the improper way she'd cleaned herself doesn't bother him for the moment given her zeal to enact justice.

"Eh, they're waiting ta ambush us up there. We'd be better off flushing them back down here or not goin' up at all."

Looking back and forth between Greck and Shalar, Yusha nods, thinking everyone is on the same page. He may not care for Shalar's metaphor regarding jaws and ticks, but the idea is simple enough. Yusha gestures, giving rise to an illusion.

Show
    An image forms of Shalar savagely ripping into the goblins from behind and forcing them from their position, flushing them out towards the rest of the group. A caption floats underneath.

"Perhaps she can push them into us. Either way, if she disrupts their ambush, we must be ready. They do not seem inclined to let us rest."

Another image forms of Greck's hammer floating in the air with the four remaining party members poised inside. Shalar's face floats up within an anvil, all jagged teeth and antlers. A goblin lies below the hammer, waiting to be crushed.

Yusha recalls Kalib from his leisure, silencing his squawk of protest with a thought. Before Shalar can slink away, he makes Kalib appear on her shoulder. Yusha gestures again.

"Take Kalib. If you become separated, he will lead us to you."

The normally musical, feminine voice Yusha projects holds an edge as he tries to ignore the waste still clinging to his armor. He anchors his awareness to Kalib, watching through the eagle's eyes for as long as he can, narrating what they see as Shalar loops around.

Show

Show

Show

Voice

Show

Safeguard:

Safeguard:

[End of transcription.]

Show

Show

Show

Last edited by Riggdgames; 2022-03-12 at 10:42 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270

Ar-Raaqis (Dragon)
    Faceless Warlock 3

The lantern remained inert, despite the kicking.

Spoiler: In the Dragon's Dojo
    Show
    Qadira had settled into a heap of cushions, watching the wall of clear crystal. Visions passed across its smooth surface, while phantom sound swelled in the space. She enjoyed these moments of respite. Tonight she chose the heavenly combat sagas, where a planet of death housed a celestial princess. Her rescuers had slipped into the structure through guile, destroying foes with magical bolts. Yet, now they sank into a pit of poop. The sloshing sounded like the plops that fell around her vessel.

The garbage chute was a wonderful idea! What an incredible smell you've discovered!"

"Wake up and smell the gubbaz, Bucket! There is killing to be done early!"

Ar-Raaqis frowned at the disturbance. She looked at the sigils that told her the limit she had within her dojo. The vessel's hours had not closed near completion. The others seemed capable enough to handle goblins without her. She nibbled on another candied treat, saying before she did, "She didn't say my name, so I still honor my word while I remain."

Then the Dragon refocused on the images where a magical bolt danced around the filthy room where the princess screamed at her rescruer.

"Put that thing away! You're going to get us all killed!"

"Absolutely, your worship! Look, I had everything under control until you led us down here!"

Qadira murmured, "These ancestors argue as much as the yokels."

Show

Remain in the Bottled respite for now.

Enjoying this scene at the moment:

Last edited by Theophilus; 2022-03-14 at 01:24 PM.