New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default The Temple of Inari 57: Life goes on

You have entered the temple of Inari, in her capacity as the Goddess of Foxes.

You walk down an elegant white gravel pathway between full-grown pines. Stone lanterns provide a pure white light to the path, while casting elegant shadows among the trees.

At the end of the pathway, a bright red gate stands. A large fox carved from white alabaster gleams at each side of the gate. As you pass between the foxes and through the gate, you feel the presence of the goddess. Gentle and caring, but mischievous and lighthearted, you are never quite certain what will happen.

Past the exquisite formal gardens, you finally step into the pagoda itself. There, at the end of chamber is a raised dais. There rests a statue of a beautiful vulpine woman, flanked by two snow-white celestial foxes. Offerings of rice and incense stand before the statue.

In a niche off to the right side of the door sits a Fox-Cola vending machine. Next to the coin slot, the sign reads "10 cp".

To the left side of the door is a magic mirror. This mirror is actually a portal to Trog's Tavern.

Profile for Inari
    Spoiler
    Show

Alignment Chaotic Good
    Primary Domains Good, Plant, Chaos, Healing
    Secondary Domains Magic, Sun, Animal, Trickery, Knowledge, Water
    Forbidden Domains Evil, Law, War, Death, Destruction
    Priest Granted Powers
    Rice Paddy Once per day. As <i>Entangle</i>, but the ground changes to knee-deep mud, and instead of creepers, mature rice plants twist and writhe to grapple anything in the area.
    Sushi Bar Once per day. You create rice, fish, and sake. You can create enough to feed one medium sized creature for each two caster levels.
    Summon Celestial Fox Special. You summon an image of Myobi (if you are a priestess) or Myobu (if you are a priest). The fox has HD equal to your level plus your wisdom bonus. In combat, the fox fights the same as a normal fox, but with appropriate bonuses for HD.

Inari is the goddess of rice: The plant itself. The cultivation of it. The products made from it. She has countless billions of worshipers spread across the various planes of existence. Foxes are her children. Inari created foxes to watch over the grain and eat the birds and rodents that would destroy the sacred plant. Kitsune are her especial messengers: sacred foxes endowed with the ability to take on human or elvish form. Inari is an agricultural and racial goddess. She is concerned predominantly with nurturing and growth. She is good, but it is the quiet good of the countryside rather than the formalized good of high society. We don't go on crusades. We don't try to win converts or convince people to change their beliefs. We don't really feel a conflict with "evil" beings at all, unless they threaten us directly. Finally, since rice is a critical component in many economies across the multiverse, she is revered as a goddess of wealth and prosperity as well.

The worship of Inari is mostly personal. The sanctuary is open for prayer and meditation as you feel led. There is a small ceremony at dawn every day, where the main sacred fires are lit. There is a celebration at the full of the moon each month, and a quiet time of prayer at the dark of the moon. There are major ceremonies and holidays at the times of rice planting, transplanting, and harvest. The fox festival is held at the time when the wild cousins give birth. We feed them a special treat made with rice wrapped in fried bean curds. Otherwise, the temple does not hold regular formal services.

Inari is not overly fond of ceremony: for it is not ceremony that will lead you to enlightenment.

All things have a spirit, and the spirit is in all things. But this perception is dulled by the impurities of physical life, and you fail to reach your true potential due to this. It is therefore in your best interest that you seek for purity in your emotions and your mind; for through that purity, your spirit may shine through. Ceremony is of limited value because the quest for purity begins and ends with your inner self. This is why the main altar generally houses a mirror, not a statue, on the altar.

The state of purity is difficult to explain, because it does not mean the same thing to everyone. Only by meditating on your spiritual state can you learn what things hinder you personally. An earnest, honest, open heart is needed for this. The goddess, who can read your very being, can help with this: but it is a private matter between you and her. Therefore we provide a quiet setting: a peaceful sanctuary free from distracting clutter, a quiet garden where you can relax your mind, a serene place where it is easier to distance your true self from your physical self and focus on what needs to be. One more thing: purity is not merely a matter of eliminating that which is "bad". It is also a task of strengthening which is "good". Your task may be to grow in an area of yourself that you have neglected, or imperfectly developed. Regardless of the details, when you know what needs to be done we provide the support, council, and assistance to help you do it.

Profile for Tamamo
    Spoiler
    Show

Alignment Chaotic Good
    Primary Domains Good, Plant, Chaos, Healing, Darkness
    Secondary Domains Magic, Sun, Animal, Trickery, Knowledge, Water
    Forbidden Domains Evil, Law, War, Death, Destruction
    Priest Granted Powers
    Darkness Once per day.
    Speak with Shadows You can speak with creatures from the Plane of Shadows
    Sushi Bar Once per day. You create rice, fish, and sake. You can create enough to feed one medium sized creature for each two caster levels.
    Summon Celestial Fox Special. You summon an image of one of the Ninetails. The fox has HD equal to your level plus your wisdom bonus. In combat, the fox fights the same as a normal fox, but with appropriate bonuses for HD.

<Work in Progress... please stand by>

Temple Facilities
    Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Interior wide-angle shot
    Spoiler
    Show

Everything but the Sanctuary and Garden has Dimensional Lock. The entire facility is Hallowed as per the spell with the Bless effect. A permanent Flame Quench (the reversed form of the 2nd edition Fire Storm spell) is on in a quiescent form on all the buildings. It can be triggered by any full priest.

- Sanctuary: the main sanctuary has the altar. This is where you must pray to speak to the goddess directly. There is a general magic circle in the center of the room.

- Meditation Gardens: accessed through a door at the far end of the sanctuary. This is a standard zen garden with raked gravel, shady nooks, picturesque pines, stone lanterns, and small intricate bridges. An artificial stream hosts large koi, and a grand cherry tree resides on a picturesque island in the middle of a good sized pond.

- Priest's Quarters: accessed by going down the stairs "halfway down the sanctuary, to the right".

- Pokemon Center: Behind the temple proper is a small pokemon gym, which provides the Fox badge to trainers. Despite what you might think, it's not all Vulpixes and Fennekin.

- Hospital: Over the bridge and down the way from the sanctuary is a medical center where healers both mundane and magical stand ready to help those in need.

- Summoning Chamber: You enter small building set apart from the others with solid stone walls, a sturdy roof, and a thick adamantine door. Inside; the obsidian ceiling, walls and floors are crawling with glowing silvery magical sigils. Literally crawling, the magic writing moves even as you look at it. In the very center of the room is a summoning circle of gold, platinum, and gemstones. The design is intricate beyond belief and it is worth wondering if even living creatures might find themselves bound inside should the priests wish it.

- Catacombs: Past the stage and the playground, in the corner of the temple lot, stand a sealed entryway to a buried ruins of an ancient temple that once stood on these grounds. Surely you have no reason to go there.

Priestly Ranks
    Spoiler
    Show

The relative power and abilities of priests are driven by their talent, learning, experience, and gifts. The rank of a priest can be recognized most quickly by looking at their robes: the combination of main color and trim uniquely identifies each rank. The following chart summarizes the 7 current ranks and their rough mapping to RPG "levels":

Current Staff

Caroline Primerra (Fenric)
    Arlem Merisanne (Recaiden)
    Steven Linde Primerra (LordDeathkeeper)

Former staff
    Spoiler
    Show

Caroline Primerra (Fenric)
    Kinari (C'nor)
    Helen Avery (firedaemon33)
    Genji Ikari (deleteman900)
    Urias Starsailor (Baeleck)
    Exachix NorZilliar(Exachix)
    Atreyu, The Masked Llama (Atreyu)
    Valathe (Hoseki)
    Hachiro (NPC)
    Anna ( seftsirag)
    Aramir (Kyrian/Ares)
    Rain (Fenric)
    Voxendi (Gezina)
    Aikidu (Aikifox)
    Conrad (Kyrian)
    Karsen (Exachix)
    Ilias (Ilias)
    Elya (AmberVael)
    Kantur (Kantur)
    Ms E (Ms_Elaneous)
    Kenyon (Kenyon)
    Jormungandr (Wukei)

(( Many thanks to Recaiden for keeping things going while I have been away. ))
    Last edited by Fenric; 2021-08-06 at 11:21 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Temple of Inari 57: Life goes on

Altar

It is dusk at Tamamo’s altar and Steven Linde is making his usual rounds. His mind is not quite on his duties. He prays to the Lady of Night for guidance as he has for a while. He has been told that he is far too nice to properly handle the nogitsune and other night’s denizens. And he still hasn’t forgotten the knowledge that one of the visiting Hierophants actually lodged a complaint against him on the grounds of his position being normally reserved for a woman.
    He’s still honestly rather upset about that.
    But something else has been bugging him for ages. Something that he couldn’t quite place. And when it finally drops off the tip of his tongue, it turns his blood to ice.
    He simply cannot remember the last time there was mischief, pranks, or any notable goings-on at the Temple, least of all on his watch. The only notable event had been Arlem having trouble curing that kumiho and that hadn’t even been him.
    Oh, dear. Somehow he feels like simply having this realization is disastrous…
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

There is a brief surge of power: chilling, dark, and yet ... playful?

Boo!

You'd think at a solid distance over five thousand years old, the owner of the voice would be more mature.

You'd be wrong, of course.

The shadowy vixen that has appeared behind Steven has jet black fur and burning red eyes, with waist-length hair of purply-black. She is dressed, vaguely, in a shimmery and expensive looking outfit of sheer black silk and silvery metal, adorned with purple gems.

Miss me, Stevie? How's Caroline doing? You knock her up yet? Didya know that I can't actually stay banished all that long, no matter what spells the stupid meanies in business suits might try to use. Are they still around? I ought to eat some of them just out of spite. Have you seen Cleo? Where's Tavlii? What about that bird girl? Are we still infested with weird ponies? Do people still keep their pets in magic balls and make them fight? I thought that was cool at first but they never die so it's kinda lame, wouldn't you agree?

Oh dear... Keiko has returned.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2021-08-05 at 06:14 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Altar

Steven flinches in surprise but quickly collects himself. Working around pranksters makes you resistant to jump-scares if nothing else.
    "In order: kind of, she's well, no, yes, yes. I think Cleo's at the tower with your hatchlings, I don't know, she's around somewhere, the gloom-ponies joined Intersection and are primarily their concern now, and the fad is in a lull at the moment." He finally lets himself take a breath. "And the fighting part is probably where I would question things."
    Actually the Wizards' Tower has quite a few dragon hatchlings there now. Even if Spako only sometimes brings his to visit. Steven isn't sure if Keiko has resumed her full Messenger form after being in that shadow-dragon body for so long or if she simply remembered all of her various forms and magic.
    "Are you here for business or pleasure?" he asks, allowing himself a smirk.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Keiko giggles

Both! I kinda ignored my worshippers and they wandered off, so I get demoted back down to messenger. But my sister said I'd always have a place with her so I'm back to being her favorite disruptive influence. Or maybe she sent me here to get me out of her hair for a while... that's always a possibility. Either way you were praying something about it being too quiet here. I wasn't really listening to be honest cause you mumbled and Inside is always SO VERY NOISY but still Yumiko came up and said "Go down to the temple where Steven is" and so I did and here I am."

She looks around

Do we always have this few worshippers here? Isn't there a portal to a tavern over there? Have you learned how to posess people yet? I haven't posessed anyone in ...

She frowns

... you know what ... I don't think I ever have. That's so lame. One of our very best abilities and I always just charm people. And eat them sometimes, but only when Tammy says its ok, otherwise Myobi goes all scold on me and I get grounded and that's no fun at all. Did you ever get scolded by Myobi? I hear she makes people clean out the fishpond here, which doesn't sound that hard but then again she wouldn't pick it if it wasn't. Hey, I'm hungry: when's dinner?

She looks expectantly at Steven
    Last edited by Fenric; 2021-08-05 at 08:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Altar

Steven does his best to keep a straight face. Yumiko sent Keiko to him? Well, she must have some confidence in her sister's abilities.
    "Some of the...crustier priestesses of the other 'branches' have called into my question my ability to be Tamamo's head priest here. Namely, because the head priest has been a priestess forever before me. And also because they think I'm too nice to handle the tricksier worshippers. Well, they used a different word. That's what I was praying about." He had better tell the truth. He's not quite good enough at lying to fool her and she'll only be worse if he tries. "Dinner was an hour ago but the night shift's lunch will be in an hour or two. It has definitely been quiet here for quite a while. That doesn't reflect badly on me, does it?" Should he have been encouraging the troublemakers more? He feels like that's counterintuitive but well Tamamo does have the side of her that Keiko embodies.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Keiko scowls and bristles. She may be a few bricks shy of a full load, but she is both loyal and fiercely protective of her family.

If my sister picked you, then you're the one for the job and that's all there is too it. If she had really wanted you to be female, then that could have been arranged easily enough, it's not a hard spell even for mortals, so obviously she didn't care.

Her teeth begin to show and it is not a pleasant sight.

If a priestess wants to question her, then somebody needs to get bit and maybe demoted too.

She grumbles to herself and paces around for a moment before she calms down enough to register the rest of Steven's news

Food! Right! Oh... ok... I guess I can wait.

Then she tilts her head

And why would we blame you? Did you chase everyone away or something? You can't very well test people who aren't here, and you're a priest not some sort of field agent. Are there any of Inari's folks who are too proud for their own good and you've let them get away with it? Any uppity visitors who didn't outrank you so you couldn't do anything?

She grins

I mean... going out and tweaking folks around in town is fun and all, but you really got to be careful with that: a lot of do-gooder types can't tell the difference between testing and challenging pride and overconfidence and being one of the "bad guys". Goodness knows I have had adventurers come after me before thinking they were doing the right thing.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Altar

Steven smiles. It's not the usual kind of reassurance, but it is reassuring nonetheless.
    "Well, the fact that nothing has happened meant I assumed she didn't care. But you're free to review the files sometime to see if something ought to be done about it.
    Though I dare say that I can't imagine her dictating anyone's appearance solely for a clergy position would be ridiculous."

About fifty miles away, Allen Winchester sneezes for no clear reason.

"Hmm. I suppose you're right. I just got the strangest feeling that something had been missing. That feeling's not quite there anymore. But I can't entirely explain it." That's the problem with cleric business. Even with Inari and Tamamo where things are a lot more scientific than you would expect, it's still not an exact science. And from what Inari has told him, it never quite becomes an exact science anyway.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Temple Entrance]

A trio of cloaked men make their way up the gravel path, a dark aura seeming to follow them closely. The group consists of a bearded man in ornate leather regalia, flanked on either side by identically-appearing horned men. The bearded man stops short of the temple's main entrance and drops to one knee in submission; an overt sign of respect for this foreign (to him) goddess and her place of worship. The men flanking him go further, so far as to lie prostrate on the path in deference. Despite their sinister appearance, they do not appear to be hostile.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

(( Oh no, not an exact science in the slightest :D ))

Keiko waves her hand

Files? I can't do that: that's a Myobi thing, and you're none of her busines. And maybe stuff has been quiet, but you know what: the main temple in Zhangjiajie is hardly a hotbed of pranks. In fact...

she shuffles her feet a little

I might kinda sorta not be particularly welcome there as a general rule. Noriko takes it very seriously, and I have to promise to be on my absolute very best good little princess behavior any time I need to visit for some reason.

Her left ear swivels to the door

Ooooh! Visitors! Um... Actually... Speaking of "best behavior"... Since I am here on official business I'm going to have to be quiet and let you do the talking unless you pray for something. I mean, like, really... "holy tamamo, lady of shadows" and all that. But you don't have to rhyme, that's another Myobi thing.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2021-08-06 at 09:40 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Shadow Magic Lessons]

Khannie has been making some progress during her summer classes here at the temple. Really, she likes them a whole lot! While she also likes the normal school classes a whole lot the magical lessons are something special. Growing more accustomed to the magic in her blood is a goal she's been striving toward for some time now. It means that, maybe someday when she gets older, she can really follow in her father's footsteps and maybe even save the whole world!

Because that's what adventurers do, right?

Get caught up in some seemingly small problem which turns out to be a BIG problem!

But, for now, she just needs to get these shadow illusions to work right.

The original plan was to make the PERFECT human disguise but thanks to her wish she really doesn't need that anymore. She is, after all, a REAL human girl now and nothing else. It's what she always wanted; her heart's desire. And now that she HAS it she isn't the sort to just sit around and be content. She needs to keep getting better! And improving her shadow magic is definitely the most important avenue for that.

Thus far she has successfully made an orange!

But only an orange with visual, tactile, and olfactory components. She hasn't managed to make an orange that can fool more senses than that in spite of no lack of trying.

Case in point? She's trying again.

Khannie cups her hands in front of herself and whispers the magic words, syllables insinuating themselves through every dark place in the temple as little blobs of shadow stuff coalesce into a small orange fruit.

The young sorceress squeezes it.

It feels real.

She smells it.

It's zesty scent could fool the sharpest nose, she's sure.

Then she licks it.

It BLORP!s into a cloud of darkness and evaporates.

"UGH!" the girl moans, flopping over backwards in the garden. "This is SO HARD! I've tried, like, a million times and it still isn't working!"

Khannie has, in fact, tried eight times thus far.

"Maybe I need some help? I guess I could-" she looks around and- Hey! There's a nogitsune in a fancy dress! Khannie doesn't really remember that lady but they're all pretty good at magic right? "Hey miss?" she calls out to Keiko. "I'm practicing my shadow magic lessons but I'm stuck. Could you help?"
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2021-08-06 at 12:04 PM.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Altar/temple entrance

Steven smiles. "In this case I meant actual files. I'm sure the paperwork is somewhere. But I admit I can see your sister not letting you at that either. You've said you don't care for the paperwork."
    But that's the nice thing about being considered Myobu's protégé for all intents and purposes. People don't expect him to be nearly so formal. No rhymes, no ceremony. It has suited the informal crew here just fine.
    That said, he does like wearing the hat on official business. He considers trading all of Myobi's practices for "people expect you to wear the hat" a worthy trade.

The men at the entrance are greeted by a fox-priest, dark in coat and robes bearing a beautiful but simple katana and a straw hat.
    "Good evening, gentlemen. What can I do for you this night?" he says evenly.

13. - Top - End - #13

[Temple Entrance]

"Braeg, Lord of the Lesser Wood, bids you greetings." The bearded man says, not yet getting up.

"Hail Lord Braeg." The other horned men chorus.

"My attendants and I are on pilgrimage. It has been a long, long journey." Braeg explains. "Ordinarily, we would rest in wilds blessed by our goddess, but her influence has not yet reached this corner of the realms. However, we have heard talk of this temple and believe your Lady, Inari, to be something of a kindred spirit with our own. We come in peace and humbly request your permission to stay a while. As a show of good faith, we are prepared to offer tribute if necessary." He nods to one of his attendants, who produces a small wooden box from under his cloak.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

[Altar/Entrance]

Keiko looks over curiously, and even hops a little, but manages to keep quiet for a change.

and then.... Somebody calls her?

Call if you need me, Steven. Somebody here's asking for my help.

and with that she pops over to

[Shadow Magic Lessons]

Hi! I'm Kieko! Youngest of the Ninetails and Messenger of Tamamo

she pauses and considers what she just said

I should probably say those in the other order. Well, nevermind. So, you didn't exactly say it properly but you're not a priestess and you asked for help and I am getting a bit bored waiting for something to happen over at the entrance so here I am. What's up? Does somebody need to be bit? Or posessed? I keep forgetting to even try that, you know. Or are you trying to summon your ball for the first time?

Keiko grins at Khannie
    Last edited by Fenric; 2021-08-06 at 12:10 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

[Shadow Magic Lessons]

"I'm Khannie Vallarm daughter of Jace Vallarm and... umm... a magical girl, I guess?" Khannie replies as she considers what manner of greeting this is. Is this lady one of the important foxes? She's guessing this lady is one of the important foxes. Which means! She's probably really great at doing magic! That's good for Khannie since she feels like she's banging her head against a metaphorical wall and also kind of a physical wall since the magic expenditure is rough. She could probably draw on her magical girl power reserve BUT she only wants to use that for really important things.

"Well, since you're bored we can help each other! I can get better at magic and you can be not-bored," Khannie says, flashing the most mischievous smile she can manage since that seems to be the kind of smile Miss Keiko appears to like. "I don't think biting or possessing people will help with either of those things. And I haven't got a ball I've got-"

She gestures at the amethyst stud on her right ear, causing a little egg-shaped purple crystal in a extravagant gold setting to manifest in her hand.

"-one of these things? But I don't want to use the magic from my egg-thingy since that's special magic just for fighting bad-guys."

The egg contains one (1) magical girl soul and is a deep well of fantastical and imaginative creative potential.

Khannie, on the other hand, contains zero (0) magical girl souls since that's what the soul gem is for.

"I've been learning shadow magic for summer classes," Khannie says as she touches her ear again, the egg vanishing. "And I've figured out how to make it work for THREE senses but if pops if I try to do more."

Then?

She conjures another orange.

Sight? Check. Touch? Check. Smell? Check.

Then Khannie licks it and it pops again.

"SEE!? I can get sight and smell and touch to work but if I try to taste it then it breaks."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

[Shadow Magic Lessons]

Keiko looks thoughtful... which mostly means she was only half listening

Purple crystal egg thingy instead of a ball... ok... and you're a Magical Girl? Does that mean you get a weird cutscene where you spin around and pose weirdly and all your clothes dissolve and turn into a silly costume?

Keiko's a fine one to talk since her outfit doesn't actually cover much. But she's got fur, so... whatever...

But anyway, I guess helping with homework is better than being bored... even if that's kinda more helpful than I usually do. But those guys seem legit so that's going to be all polite and kitsune-ish and I had enough of court life before... nevermind.

Then Khannie demonstrates her troubles with an illusory orange

Uh... I don't think I've ever tried an illusion that had taste before. Isn't taste mostly smell anyway? And that's all a lot of work - I'd just wrap a triggered suggestion on the illusion that if somebody tried to taste it then they would taste it... when they... taste it...

Keiko frowns, having now successfully confused herself

17. - Top - End - #17

[Shadow Magic Lessons]

"Yeah!" Khannie replies with a nod, though her expression quickly shifts to consternation. "Or, wait, no. It isn't a silly costume it's a cool costume! It's got a heroic scarf and everything."

Khannie is of the opinion that heroic scarfs are a vitally important part of any sort of hero outfit. What's a hero outfit without a scarf, anyway? Lame, that's what.

"Usually I go over to GLoG to do homework but after I got lost Outside I got kinda grounded so either I've gotta go straight home or stay at the temple," Khannie grouses.

Kinda grounded.

Just a little bit.

Slightly grounded.

"Taste is kind of like smell I guess? But it's still kind of different. Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong," she muses. "Hmm... I don't know if I can do suggestions. Aren't those more like enchantments? I'm only good at illusions. Maybe..."

She tries conjuring an orange again, shadow stuff weaving itself together between her fingers to create!

Nothing.

Or at least it looks like nothing.

"I didn't do a visual aspect this time," Khannie says as she holds out the invisible orange to Keiko. "Try biting it maybe it'll work this time?"

Keiko will be able to smell the orange. And should she take it she'll be able to feel the orange. And if she bites it it'll squirt invisible orange juice everywhere that tastes more like concentrate than an actual fresh orange since that's what Khannie was thinking of.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2021-08-06 at 01:01 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

[Shadow Magic Lesson]

Keiko nods slowly

I know about getting kinda grounded, yes.

It happens fairly frequently, to be honest. She shakes her head

Not kinda like: it is! You can only taste sweet, salty, sour, bitter, savory, spicy, and metallic. The rest of it is smell...

She shakes her head again

Suggestion is a lightweight version of Charm. More subtle: just a nudge to the target's mind to get them to think along the lines you want. I almost always weave a few into my illusions so I don't have to do as much work. A bit of shaped force, a bit of suggestion, and then really good visuals ... unless I'm trying to fool folks like us who sense of smell is better than their vision, of course - then I spend more time on the scent than the looks. If the viewer's own mind fills in the gaps, your illusion will be more believable than if you try to make something that appeals to everyone, 'cause you're going to guess wrong a lot.

But now, invisible orange

Huh. Ok... invisible illusion is not the most useful thing in the world. But how does it...

She bites in, and winces, and shudders

Agh! Gak! Ack! It tastes like something from one of those little cardboard tubes with pictures of oranges on the outside!
    Last edited by Fenric; 2021-08-06 at 01:14 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

[Shadow Magic Lesson]

"You know about getting grounded? Do you get in trouble a lot?" Khannie asks curiously.

The idea of a grownup getting grounded sounds weird to her.

When grownups get grounded isn't that what jail is for? Does Keiko have to go to fox-jail sometimes?

Talk of tasting manages to get a, "Huh..." from her. "But it still doesn't work if you can't taste any of those things, right?"

Khannie wouldn't know. She isn't a tasteologist or whatever. She should probably learn more about how senses work so her illusions will be better. And speaking of making her illusions better, she frowns at the talk of charms and suggestions. "I'm not sure if I can do any of those things. I haven't ever really tried before and I'm not sure where to start," the girl says. But it would be a reasonable place for her to expand her pool of expertise! After all, who has ever heard of a sorceress who can't enchant people? "How are enchantments different from illusions? What sorts of magic things have you got to do?"

Then?

It is orange testing time!

Khannie's smile gets huge as she cups her hands against her cheeks with a gleeful gasp!

"It worked! And the stuff in juice boxes is orange juice why else would it have pictures of oranges on it? But it worked! I made a thing that tastes!"

An invisible thing that tastes.

Which, frankly, isn't the most useful thing in the world.

Unless of course you're trying to make an illusionary taste for... a snake to follow?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

[Shadow Magic Lesson]

Keiko nods

I get in trouble often enough. My sister usually understands but Myobi is really strict and she doesn't always approve of things I do. She treats me like I'm still 16!

Then Keiko scowls thoughtfully as she tries to remember lessons she had a very long time ago indeed, and even then hadn't paid much attention to.

Where I'm from.... Enchantment is the process of putting magic into physical items to produce an effect. Charm is the process of using magic to influence someone's mind. Illusion is the process of using magic to influence someone's senses.

Enchantment comes in two main categories: true enchantments are part of the physical item. They can be suppressed but cannot be removed without destroying it. Lesser enchantments are spells bound to the physical item that can subsequently be dispelled.

then she shrugs

And I don't really do either of those enchantments... unless you mean something else by 'enchantment', of course, I only know the Grey Elf definitions of stuff.

Then she contemplates "what else can you do?"

Well... weaving is a type of conjuration, I think: making things out of solidified shadow... stuff - I'm pretty good at that. I can control light and darkness levels over a pretty decent area, I can plane-shift between here and the shadows, I can become incorpreal and fly, and I can touch people and drain their strength. I'm pretty good at charm, hypnosis, suggestion, domination, fear... that sort of thing. I can do a few cold-related things, I'm not bad at illusions, and I can turn into a big black dragon with three heads! I can do some basic arcane magic but I'm honestly not very good at it, and of course if I'm on official business I can do anything my sister Tamamo lets me do.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2021-08-06 at 03:01 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Temple Entrance

Steven blinks.
    "If it is merely sanctuary you seek then you may of course stay the night with us. I am Steven Linde, High Priest of Inari's protégé Tamamo no Mae. No tribute is necessary for so small a thing. You may come in, please." he does his best to urge the men to stop prostrating. Maybe if this was a very holy ceremony but not for something so small.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Temple Entrance

Steven blinks.
    "If it is merely sanctuary you seek then you may of course stay the night with us. I am Steven Linde, High Priest of Inari's protégé Tamamo no Mae. No tribute is necessary for so small a thing. You may come in, please." he does his best to urge the men to stop prostrating. Maybe if this was a very holy ceremony but not for something so small.
    [Temple Entrance]

All three men rise to their feet. "Very gracious of you." Braeg says, with a small smile. "My apologies if our supplication made you uncomfortable. We're still not completely certain of your goddess' sensibilities."

"Much better to be polite when it's not needed..."
    "...Than to be impolite when it is."
    "Mind your manners."
    "Be good guests."

Braeg holds up a hand, silencing the attendants. "Would you care to show me around?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

23. - Top - End - #23

[Magic Lessons]

Oh wow.

That was a bunch of words.

Khannie does her best to pay careful attention. It sounds like enchantment versus charm is a definition thing? Different words for the same idea. But it DOES seem kind of silly to use enchantment for making things magic AND for making people believe fake stuff. Maybe charms and illustrations aren't as different as Khannie thought?

"So I guess instead of making a thing that makes a person sense stuff that isn't really real you do the magic ON the person so they get thoughts or feelings that they usually wouldn't have?"
    Khannie asks curiously. "That sounds tricky and hard to practice. Like I can make illusions of stuff and test it myself but how would I test a spell that makes me want to jump up and down whenever I see a dog?"

Khannie isn't even sure if her dog jumping idea is the right sort of thing that charms would do, but she's pretty sure that it is.

"Do you think you could teach me to do charms Miss Keiko?" Khannie asks.

Then she gasps at further revelations!

"Wow you can do all sorts of magic that's so cool! What's it like being a dragon with a bunch of heads do you ever get into quarrels with yourself?"

Khannie with the real questions here.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2021-08-06 at 10:44 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Temple Entrance

That would be creepy if he didn't have experience with multi-headed beings. Well it's still a little creepy.
    "Well, these are the grounds. They're publicly available. Over there is where the main shrine to Inari is, as opposed to Tamamo's over here. And that building in the back is where the housing is. We have some rooms made for guests such as yourself so don't feel like you're imposing." Steven explains as they walk.
    "There's the gardens, and you can get food over there. Oh, and before we go I should ask if you're carrying weapon on you. Just a formality."

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Temple Entrance

That would be creepy if he didn't have experience with multi-headed beings. Well it's still a little creepy.
    "Well, these are the grounds. They're publicly available. Over there is where the main shrine to Inari is, as opposed to Tamamo's over here. And that building in the back is where the housing is. We have some rooms made for guests such as yourself so don't feel like you're imposing." Steven explains as they walk.
    "There's the gardens, and you can get food over there. Oh, and before we go I should ask if you're carrying weapon on you. Just a formality."
    [Temple Entrance]

"Of course not." Braeg says, sounding just a little offended that Steven would think he'd ever have need for a weapon.

"Why would we?"
    "Crude toys of civilization."
    "No place for them here."
    "None at all."
    "Zip."
    "Nil."

Braeg silences them with his hand again. "The point is, no." He gestures in the direction Steven indicated the rooms woukd be in. "Shall we?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

[Magic Lessons]

Keiko listens to Khannie's working through the thoughts

Well... just like anything you don't jump straight to advanced programmed charms like that.

Then she blinks

Me? Teach you? Uh... I guess I could...

Then she blinks some more

It's just a change. To be honest, you don't really notice as much as you'd think: once you've changed, the new body just feels like you. And I get three heads not three personalities, and I don't argue with myself any more in that form than I usually do. You have two hands, right? Do you have trouble working with them both? Yeah, it was a little disorienting at first, and I can really only focus on what one of them is looking at, but it's just... like I said: once you're in the shape it just feels normal.

Now... back to teaching.

So... um... teaching you. See, I don't know how to cast human spells - my spells use my ears and tails, so I would have to adapt them. And ... hmm ...

she considers

You'll have to ask officially, I think. I'm sure that would make it easier. Settle down, focus yourself, and say "Holy Tamamo, Lady of Shadows, come to me in my time of need. Help me to learn the magic of Charms."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Temple Entrance

The rooms are simple. Sparse, but not uncomfortable.

Steven will bid them good night and leave them be.
    ...though he does assign an acolyte to keep an eye on them. The foxes aren't quite as trusting after a few incidents.
    "Well, harmless guests and a visit from Keiko that went well. Perhaps I was worried for nothing."

28. - Top - End - #28

[Guest Rooms]

That might prove difficult, as the attendants almost immediately head out again, taking the mirror to Trog's. Braeg stays behind and wanders the grounds, not seeming to be looking for anything in particular. If he runs into another acolyte, he'll stop to talk to them, but otherwise, he'll eventually find himself passing Khannie's magic lesson, which strikes him as intriguing.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

29. - Top - End - #29

[Magic Lessons]

Depending on how long the knight has been puttering around the grounds he might encounter a very different scene. After all, Khannie and Keiko haven't been chatting that long. Regardless, Khannie is unlikely to notice him unless he decides to approach and talk since there are often visitors, travelers, and pilgrims wandering about in the evening.

So!

First?

"I'm REALLY good at magic," Khannie insists. Which is true. She's a prodigy when it comes to shadow illusions. Typically someone her age would be busy trying to master the art of levitating very small objects or making illusionary bird noises. Khannie is already on her way toward becoming competent with illusions that hold some degree of substance. However, it's doubtful that natural knack would extend to other schools, such as magic that beguiles the mind. "But I guess I should probably start with easy stuff."

She guesses.

"That's kind of how it was when I had the stone Grandpa Koi gave me. I could be human or a pokemon but then a stupid ogre broke it. But now I'm human for reals so I don't really mind," Khannie says. So more heads is like more hands? Maaaaybe? They must all think really similar thoughts since they're all Keiko. "I think I could probably figure things out! I had to learn how to cast magic with human fingers and kangaskhan paws and they're really different."

It's probably the sorcerous blood. She has a more intuitive feel for magic rather than an intellectual one. Magic is like learning how to ride a bike to Khannie rather than learning how to do trigonometry (though she DOES like math, too).

"Pray?" she echoes. That's kind of weird. She has to pray in order for one of the priestesses to help her? "Okay, well, I haven't ever really done much praying. I guess I can try? Hopefully Tamamo doesn't get mad if it isn't any good."

Then?

She takes a deep breath like she's seen the praying foxes do and slowly let's it out as she closes her eyes. After a few moments she speaks.

"Holy Tamamo, Lady of Shadows, come to me in my time of need. Help me to learn the magic of Charms," she intones, trying to use the same careful inflection that she does when she's using magic words. Then she pops her eyes open. "Like that? Why do I need to pray to Tamamo for you to help teach me?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

[Magic Lessons]

Keiko waits as patiently as she can while Khannie gets around to her prayer. This means she fidgets, watches the people wandering around, thinks about snacks, and otherwise does everything except remaining patient.

But then... a prayer! And a good one at that!

Keiko stands up a little straighter. A black nimbus surrounds her and her red eyes glow a little brighter. But more than that: her voice sounds calmer and more composed.

And we respond. I am a Messenger of the goddess Tamamo no Mae, Mother of the Shadow Foxes and Eldest of the Ninetails, young one, and even on the grounds of a temple there are forms that must be preserved.

Then... she sneezes and her voice returns to normal. But she's still "glowing" black and the light from her eyes is casting a distinct red highlight across the area.

Ok... that was weird. I don't think I've ever been in the same room as someone who prayed at me quite that ... I dunno ... spell-ish-ly. I feel all tingly.

Anyway, it helps because I'm here on official business, so I have to be careful about following the rules or I'm going to get grounded again and I don't want that. You asked for my help, sure, but that was vague. For something as important as teaching magic, I need it to be official... and now it is!

Ok, so now, I need you to get seated comfortably and then center yourself. Focus on something that's not particularly interesting or important...

She looks around

That stepping stone right there, the plain grey one with the little pebbles stuck in it. Count the pebbles slowly and silently.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2021-08-07 at 08:11 AM.