New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Temple of Inari 57: Life goes on

Sanctuary
    With a thump of displaced air, a demon queen appears in a shadowy corner of the sanctuary, looking a little surprised to be there. Sekhmet takes a quick breath and sighs in relief. "Oh, it's good to see colors again." The shadow world was awfully grey.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #422
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Felina looks up from her reading

Greetings, neighbor: the blessings of Inari be upon you. Spent some time in the shadows lately, I take it? Is there anything we can do for you?

3. - Top - End - #423
    Troll in the Playground

Sanctuary
    "Uh, I don't think so? I think I'll, uh, just be going now." It must be awfully late by now. It looks like the party has been completely cleaned up. "Uh, tell the, uh, party organizers and, uh, Inari thanks again on my behalf."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #424
    Orc in the Playground

Arrivals

Nineteen people show up here, arriving outside. They're all girls, aged between sixteen and nineteen years old. Most of them are wearing ragged remnants of school uniforms, augmented with old sports equipment and salvaged clothing form other sources. The uniforms are all old, and quite small. One of the girls is in a wheelchair, with a crude splint on her ankle. They're mostly armed, with cricket bats, sharpened wickets, sports bows, air rifles and so on. They're led by a black girl, but most of them are white, all bar one wearing a yellow-and-red striped tie somewhere about their body- as an arm band, around the neck, or hanging from a belt loop. The one exception to the rule of wearing uniform is a much cleaner girl wearing a sleeveless white dress and a pair of purple beaded sandals.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

5. - Top - End - #425
    Pixie in the Playground

Felina nods

No trouble.

She waves as Sekhmet leaves and then blinks at the sudden crowd who looks like the cast from a Korean horror movie.

Greetings, neighbors: the blessings of Inari be upon you. What can we do for you today?

She also discreetly rests her thumb on a small transponder dongle attached to her belt. Hopefully these people needed help, not discussions with rapid-repsonse, but no reason to take chances.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2021-11-29 at 01:13 PM.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

The Night Shift

Steven is back on patrol after all the dragon incidents. He's certainly a more intimidating sight, curled around the altar as he is wont to do now that he's a dragon. If nothing else he's been taken more seriously by the members of the shadow temple. In that at least. Keiko and Orochi's scheme seems to have worked. But perhaps, his lessons might not be over?
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

7. - Top - End - #427
    Orc in the Playground

Arrivals

The girl in charge speaks up. She's a black nineteen-year-old wearing a small school blazer, jodhpurs, and riding boots. She wears her hair in long braids decorated with beads, small bells (they look a bit like Thanksmas ornaments) and similar trinkets. She's clearly the head girl because she's wearing a little enamel badge with the words 'Head Girl' on it. "Um, hi. Five years ago, a flash in the sky knocked everyone- so far as we know- out, and when we woke up again, everyone over the age of eighteen was dead. We think. None of us were older than fourteen when that happened, and the Head Girl with us was eighteen, and she died. Anyway. Yesterday, there was another flash, we all went to sleep and woke up later. The terrain around us had changed, and we sent scouts out to find out what had happened. They found someone, who said we were in the Nexus now. Whilst the scouts were out, we got attacked by flying head things, and some of us got kissed." Vargouilles, whose kiss carries a curse that will transform the victims into more of the vicious things. And they could probably all do with a general health check anyway, given that they were eleven to fourteen years old when all the adults died and they found themselves looking after themselves in a crude campsite around the school buses that had been taking them to a sports competition.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Pixie in the Playground

[Survivors]

Felina blinks

Oh my! Well... I can't speak as to what happened on your homeworld but I can confirm that you are now in the Nexus, in the city of Inside. This is the Temple of Inari: Goddess of Rice and Foxes. And given all the things that have happened to you, I think a few diagnostics are in order...

She then proceeds to cast group versions of "Detect Curse" and "Detect Disease" (with the usual house rule that disease-like things like malnutrition will still get found) on them.

----

[Night Shift]

A Ninetail steps out of the shadows and looks around expectantly, then looks disappointed.

Hmph. They said there was a fiendling lord here, but all I see are the usual suspects.

She notices Steven curled around the altar

You're just staying a dragon all the time, then?

Not the brash but well-meaning rough edges of Keiko... not the uncertain hesitancy of Tsukiko, nor the quiet competancy of Yumiko, nor yet the firm (if slightly overbearing) confidence of Noriko, and obviously not Tamamo herself...

That just leaves Hoshiko. More than a bit on the cruel side, voted "most likely to secretly be a villain", and in all likliehood the one who sicked the conservative vixens on Stephen a while back: the "middle child" of the princesses is the one who just arrived.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

Night Shift

Steven raises his head to bow it at the arrival of the nine-tails.
    "Good evening, Highness. Your father's concoction did shift what I'm comfortable with quite a bit. I didn't see any harm in it. He and Keiko seemed to think looking like this would make people take me more seriously. Is there a problem, Ma'am?" he asks sincerely.
    And it's true. Side effects of Sea Dragon Potion via Orochi's essence may include preferring being a dragon, liking other dragons, sudden disinterest in clothes (except possibly expensive suits), sudden cravings for fish, increased self confidence, disintegration breath, and an increased chance of threatening to eat someone.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Pixie in the Playground

[Night Shift]

Hoshiko chuckles

Other than increasing the chances of a misguided heroic do-gooder charging in to slay the dragon who has beguiled the sacred temple? The bigger problem is that you have all of your cards on the table, as it were. Someone dealing with you knows what they are dealing with - changing from dragon to Vulpan would accomplish very little. We have made our way in the universe by our wits: by outwitting, outsmarting, or otherwise circumventing obstacles far more than using force. The native gifts of our people are illusion, charms, empathy and emotional manipulations. And even then, subtelty is often the difference between easy success and awkward escalations. For instance

She shimmers and there is a somewhat plain young woman there in her place, modestly dressed. Stephen will feel though not really be affected overmuch by an aura she projects which seeks to cause it to be very difficult indeed to pay any attention to her at all.

So much better than invisibility if dealing with other people. A little shapeshifting, a little suggestion, a bit of an aura of apathy and suddenly you are better than invisible - you are unmemorable! True-seeing won't help a bit and even if an onlooker is warded from the charm effects what's yet another peasant girl going about her dreary peasant business?

A tiny ripple, and the princess is there once more

You, however, are very ... obvious ... right now. I approve of the increase in confidence you have shown lately, but there is much more for you to learn.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

Night Shift

Steven tilts his head in consideration.
    "Well, I certainly see your point in the more subtle applications of my job. But right now I am here as the high priest, attending the sanctuary in that capacity. I am supposed to be noticed. I suppose some could try the 'unseen leader' routine but I don't know how I'd get anything done like that. From the visiting shadow priestesses it seems like they do tend to have a more visible style along with their specific rules on the title itself." Steven carefully tests the waters by bringing them up. Namely that the tirade he received is that the high priest of one of Tamamo's temples ought to be a vixen with strong leadership.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Hoshiko hrms

No... that's not what I meant at all. You need to be visible, yes, and project a certain commanding presence. You need to be on top of events... did you even know about the Fiendling Lord who now resides here? Have you spoken to him? Don't just take Keiko's word for... well... anything, to be honest: she is young and hotheaded and extremely naiive.

Speaking of... have you actually talked to Keiko, or any of the others, about our history? Who we are and why we are in the place we are? Do you know the difference between us and the true nogitsune? Do you know which of your clergy are which? That is what was meant about leadership: this is your job now, you need to take the initiative to find these things out. Learn what it is you you don't know you need to know yet and the others don't know to even tell you because...

She shakes her head

This "Nexus" has scrambled things so badly, and they carry on as if we were still limited to the places back home. You were a human farmer, and Caroline fell in love with you. That in and of itself was hardly newsworthy - Vulpans fall for humans all the time, but then the drama of this place caused all this! Has anybody really explained anything to you?

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

Steven uncurls from the altar, rising to a proper standing position.
    "I was the first person Braeg spoke to when he came here. I'm the one who allowed him in. And I'm also the one who would have already thrown him out if he wasn't under Inari's protection because of how he treats people around here.

Ma'am, I am high priest of this half of the temple. If you would like I can give you the time of my nightly sermon and I can regale you with your entire family history, and then the details I'm not allowed to tell the congregation afterwards. If there are details you have failed to tell Caroline and the hierophants who oversaw my raising to this position you may feel free to tell me, but do not presume that I do not know things that are on the test to become a first rank priest."

He also, for good measure, rattles off the name of every single priest of Tamamo currently at the Nexus Temple. Which isn't an incredibly large number, but Hoshiko asked.
    "I will never go on a pedestal and announce that I do my job better than anyone else. I am still new to the position and I am a child to most high priests and priestesses of the other temples. But please, Ma'am, do not presume that I have not done the bare minimum."
    Yeah that sounds like the dragon talking.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Orc in the Playground

Survivors

They aren't currently malnourished, but it seems they've had at least two periods of near starvation in the last five years- probably bad winters, three or more months trying to keep warm without enough food. The girl in the wheelchair- Tall Bryony, shorter of the two Bryonies- has a fractured shin that has been crudely set and even more crudely splinted. Willow, a small girl wearing a school skirt, denim jacket and cut off wellies and armed with a sharpened cricket wicket, is infected with a parasitic elemental. Three girls, Freya, Victoria and Stephanie, have been kissed by vargouilles and are therefore cursed, whilst Hermione has been bitten by one and has poorly bandaged the wound. Short Bryony, the taller of the two Bryonies, has torn out a fingernail.

Many of the girls have an above-average amount of prions floating around, as well, given their ages, though none are yet causing any trouble.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Pixie in the Playground

[Night Sanctuary]

Hoshiko is momentarily taken aback as Steven replies downright forcefully

I... see...

Not that she remains off-center very long, and not that she is in the remotest bit apologetic

I am glad, if somewhat surprised, to see that things have been taken care of here for a change. Quite unusual with anywhere Keiko is involved, but there it is. I won't bother asking how many heroes you have tested - you'll just tell me you're the high priest and it's not your job to go out and do such things... which is true enough.

She smiles, which is at least half a smirk

So, since you have proven me wrong about what I thought you might need to learn, what is there that YOU would ask for more instruction?

[Survivors]

Felina winces and indicates the various problems

Well... straight off, you've got some curses in need of removing. That broken leg needs better attention, I'm afraid the girl with the odd weapon has something trying to posess her, and we can fix your fingernail. And it looks like you might have eaten meat that wasn't quite cooked properly, because you've got a sort of parasitic infection that can eventually get nasty.

She looks at the victims of the vargouille attack

You lot are in the most danger, because without treatment you're going to turn into those undead flying head things yourselves.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2021-12-15 at 09:12 AM.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

Night Sanctuary

Steven gives a hint of a smile.
    ”Actually I would have told you that the temple is on very good terms with the heroes and adventurers of this city. No one has come here looking for trouble besides Inari’s esteemed Guest.”
    Who he let in. Whoops. Well Inari clearly likes him so maybe he should just take credit.
    ”Unless you mean tested as in an examination. In that case it’s mostly day shift.

But ah, for me? Well, I suppose you could help me with…some of the bureaucracy I’ve encountered. Namely that well, I’m sure you’re aware that there have been complaints lodged against me by a certain visiting hierophant for ah, ‘distinct lack of vixen nature’ and ‘unlikelihood to wrangle nogitsune.’ Both of which seemed to have been thrown out but I do feel like I should have some better arguments prepared than ‘well I’ve actually met the Goddess and she seemed fine with me.’
    Pranks and tricks were never really my forte, I admit she was right about that.”

17. - Top - End - #437
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Pay a visit]

It has been some time since Karl had talked to Fenric in Trogs but he finally decided to get over to the temple. Fenric had suggested they might be able to tell him more about the creatures he saw in his scry or just improve the scrysince it was interrupted. Anyway, Karl had nothing to do and this was his only lead to get some new summonings. So he knocks on the frontgate.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

18. - Top - End - #438
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Temple of Inari

[Front Gate]

A bored and sleepy looking guard steps out of the guardhouse near the gate. This is considered the easiest posting at the temple since virtually no one ever stops near the gate, so the werefox is also a bit surprised.

Uh... hello. Can I help you?

---

[Sanctuary]

Hoshiko nods

I had heard about those, yes... it's why I asked if you understood the difference between a shadow-vulpan and a true nogitsune. To be fair, their sort of stealth really doesn't suit us, and we are rather less dramatically matriarchal then they are, so much of the complaint is unfounded but I think perhaps a reminder of where we came from that is more than just an old story would help? There are several historical events that would help both in perspective and in training.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2021-12-15 at 09:19 AM.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Orc in the Playground

Survivors

"Yeah, we figured that. Can you fix it? Or provide daylight or something because we were told that stops the curse progression?" Doesn't remove the curse, but daylight exposure prevents the physical transformation from human head to flying demonic entity.

Willow's a bit surprised to hear she's slightly possessed. "Is... that bad? Can you fix it?"

All the girls look a little shocked at the 'poorly cooked meat' thing, since they know exactly which meat they weren't able to cook properly and why.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Survivors]

Felina gestures to an acolyte and says something to them in squeaky fox-language, after which the acolyte scurries off through the back door.

I can help with the fingernail, leg, and your posession Miss. I'm going to have to get someone to help with the undead curse... we don't actually have undead of that sort on my homeworld so I'm not really qualified. But don't worry, we have folks on staff who are VERY familiar with such things.

As familiar as a were-creature from Ravenloft can be, anyway.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Orc in the Playground

Survivors

Short Bryony wheels Tall Bryony- that's the girl in the white dress with the ripped fingernail and the shorter girl with the broken leg- closer, and Willow follows. Hermione probably does as well, because she's got a bandaged vargouille bite- not cursed, but still a wound likely to get infected, given none of the girls have any actual medical experience or training beyond 'half a decade of trial and error'.

Samantha squeezes Victoria's hand, before Victoria joins Stephanie and Freya waiting for the curse-breakers.

22. - Top - End - #442

Default Re: Temple of Inari

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    [Front Gate]

A bored and sleepy looking guard steps out of the guardhouse near the gate. This is considered the easiest posting at the temple since virtually no one ever stops near the gate, so the werefox is also a bit surprised.

Uh... hello. Can I help you?
    [Front Gate]

Karl turns to the guard. He had missed him, but then again he was in the guardhouse and Karl didn't pay that much attention. Let's just stay simple and maybe he can pass the guard and get to someone with more authority. Also he might recognize him since he faught that big fox thing a while ago. (maybe a year?)

"Hello. I sure hope so. A man in Trog's scryed for me and something broke the spell so he told me if I get here they might help me claryfy what he saw so I can solve whatever problem they cause." He rubs the back of his head. "Sure that maybe a lot at once, but I don't know how to simplyfy that even more."

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Temple of Inari

[Sanctuary]

Hoshiko nods

I had heard about those, yes... it's why I asked if you understood the difference between a shadow-vulpan and a true nogitsune. To be fair, their sort of stealth really doesn't suit us, and we are rather less dramatically matriarchal then they are, so much of the complaint is unfounded but I think perhaps a reminder of where we came from that is more than just an old story would help? There are several historical events that would help both in perspective and in training.
    Night Sanctuary

Steven sighs. "She was Vulpan too which makes it more odd.
    But as I recall the explanation given me, the kitsune and nogitsune were created before the Vulpans. The Vulpans were created some time after the werefoxes, and therefore were created based on different parameters. The Vulpans being inspired by the elves rather than being drawn more from the animal Inari had been given dominion over."

Steven wasn't there but even Inari has admitted that calling the Vulpans "inspired" by the elves would be a charitable way to put it.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2021-12-22 at 01:53 PM.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Pixie in the Playground

[Survivors]

Felina checks and cleans wounds as appropriate and applies suitable healing magic to take care of all of the more physical ailments. It's not long after she finishes that the acolyte leads two taller, more muscular foxlike creatures in. They are dressed in light gray military uniforms with a white armband bearing the quite standard red cross.

The werefox medics come over and survey the group

Well... you've all still got your heads, so that makes things a little easier. We're going to run a couple of checks to see how stubborn a curse you have before we go slinging any cures around, though - sometimes you can make things worse.

And with that, they cast a few diagnostic spells to see if a simple Remove Curse would do the trick or if more extreme measures would be required.

Meanwhile, Felina turns to the girl with the elemental spirit

Allright, let's have a look at your unwelcome guest...

---

[Front Gate]

The guard looks thoughtful

Hm. Scrying and wizard stuff would probably be best to ask at the garrison... they're a lot better about those sorts of things, and have some serious contacts if it comes down to it. Easiest way to get there is to follow the path right here along the inside of the wall, past the trees and smaller buildings until you get there.

It's the best part of a half mile, but you can't possibly miss it: tall chainlink fence, big metal buildings and flying machines, and a right army-looking guard shack at the entrance.

---

[Night Shift]

Hoshiko nods

Sort of... along with the huli, 'sune are 4-dimensional versions of the animals, and things get more complicated very quickly when you do that. To be frank, Inari didn't quite understand the full implications of what to her seemed a simple expansion and so we ended up with their whole "fox world" schtick. She wasn't the only one by far, of course, but they're the ones we are reponsible for.

Interesting that she doesn't mention the bloodthirsty kumiho

And yes, by the time she created Vulpans, she was a lot better at handling the changes. I have peeked at the GeneBASIC files for us, since I was curious about Tammy's statement that we had needed some adjustments, but I couldn't understand them so I can't really say much about how much of our base is "elf like" and how much was "edited base elf files". Not that that level of detail really matters anymore.

She chuckles

But I was thinking of paying a visit to a little before the end of the Dawn War: when Tammy, Nory, and I used to sneak out to harass the Emperor's troops. As this is the Nexus, we can do a bit of time-travel without actually affecting anything since in our home universe, "time" isn't a place you can visit. Consider it more of a ... simulation.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

Night Shift

Steven is certainly caught by surprise this time at the casual trapping of pseudo-time-travel.
    "Um. If you think that's wise. Ah. What should I 'wear?'" He is obviously asking her what disguise she thinks he should wear even if it isn't possible to cause any paradoxes.
    Honestly this sounds more like something Keiko would come up with. She is, after all, essentially suggesting that they casually visit a war zone only some years before they were all caught and thrown into a literal hell.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Orc in the Playground

Survivors

The curse is easy to remove in daylight, but it's trickier at night or somewhere with no sunlight reaching it. Fortunately, even magical sunlight counts for weakening the curse, so simply taking the girls outside should do the trick, or to a magical greenhouse lit by an artificial sun.

The elemental parasite is water and fire, mixed together. It's growing by draining the elemental water and fire from Willow, though fortunately the progression is usually quite slow. The progression on the parasite is 1d6 days per stage, though Willow rolled a one to begin with so without some magical disease-curing effect she's due to start spreading the parasite tomorrow.
    The first being sneezing, which can transmit the parasitic elemental to new hosts.
    Stage 2, inside of the mouth and bodily fluids turn glowing neon blue
    Stage 3, skin starts turning into stoney patches, small tendrils start growing
    Stage 4, teeth fall out as burning fangs grow in, face and jaw rearranging to accommodate. Body mostly turned to stone armour to contain the element.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Pixie in the Playground

[Night Shift]

I said Hoshiko was "better than Keiko", which is a low bar to be sure. She thinks it is a good idea... how good of an idea will remain to be seen.

She smirks

Answering in reverse order may be helpful: It doesn't matter what you wear, as we are going to observe for now - the figments of the past will neither see nor be able to interact with us. We will be watching what happened, not participating in it.

And so I think it is perfectly reasonable, as the only particular danger is that I waste our time.

-----

[Survivors]

Felina frowns at the elemental parasite

Ugh... that's a new one. Let's start with the basics...

She tries the normal clerical Cure Disease and then checks to see if that worked.

Meanwhile, the medics nod - compared to curing things in Ravenloft, "needs sunlight" is hardly a condition at all. The first one addresses the group

Good news: it looks like just a standard daylight remove curse will work.

The second one frowns slightly

It's pretty overcast today, though. I think we should use a Sunray rather than trying to rely on weak natural light. The light coming in through the windows and stuff right now is as bright as today is likely to get, and waiting on these things is never wise.

The first nods his agreement

It would be best if you group together closely so you're all in the best area of effect for both spells.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2022-01-07 at 10:14 AM.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

Night Shift

Steven looks around.
    "Well, if that's the case I suppose I don't need to change."
    He lowers his head to look at the vulpan in the eyes.
    "You're sure they won't be able to see me?" Suddenly appearing as a big dragon could get him into trouble quickly. Especially since he has trouble making clothes so he wouldn't be able to quickly assume nondescript humanoid shape.

29. - Top - End - #449

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    [Front Gate]

The guard looks thoughtful

Hm. Scrying and wizard stuff would probably be best to ask at the garrison... they're a lot better about those sorts of things, and have some serious contacts if it comes down to it. Easiest way to get there is to follow the path right here along the inside of the wall, past the trees and smaller buildings until you get there.

It's the best part of a half mile, but you can't possibly miss it: tall chainlink fence, big metal buildings and flying machines, and a right army-looking guard shack at the entrance.

[Front Gate]

"Well thanks." he says and starts heading over to the place. He stops. "Anything i should tell them or know befor that?"

Unless any other informations come in he will go and find the place, maybe someone on the way stops him. After all he was here once befor fighting some kind of mad fox thing?

30. - Top - End - #450
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Survivors]

The parasite in question is currently lodged in Willow's lower nasal cavity. Growing, but not quickly.

Then it has a spell directed at it.

That definitely does something.

Namely, the elemental decomposes the spell into raw magical energy and begins feeding on it, growing at an accelerated rate. This results in tiny little tendrils growing deep inside Willow's nose. Not where they're particularly visible, mind. It would take some specialized cameras to actually get a good look at them. But, more immediately relevantly, they are very tickly.

Tickly inside of Willow's nose.

Which may result in her sneezing, spraying elemental laden droplets everywhere.

That is, of course, bad.

Hopefully she knows to cover her sneezes. In the event that she sneezes into her hands, she may notice a small number of tiny florescent blue specks.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.