New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Temple of Inari 57: Life goes on

Sanctuary

Steven is completely unsurprised at this point of another person simply showing up. He gets no visitors for almost a year and now this? When it rains, it pours.
    "I had been going to suggest taking a look with some divination to at least get vague details but I didn't think I could promise hard results. Take it away, Arlem." he takes a step back, shifting back into his usual self.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Arlem waves to Yumiko with a quick "Good evening, Messenger."

"Don't worry, Jade. This shouldn't require any difficult rituals that you can interrupt at the last moment."

He gives Steven a nod. "I was thinking the same thing."
    The high priest quickly recites a prayer of true seeing, a spell to visualize magic auras, and a charm to reveal living things. With that done he looks deeper into Jade's mind, to skim over how those memories were recovered. That should help piece together what Jade is. Body and soul? A tricky spirit? A dream of all-devouring flame trying to deceive them with its humanoid form? Something uniquely weird like the ninetails?
    "I'm glad you survived going back into the dream like that."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Sanctuary
    True seeing.
    Jade is, right now, exactly what she appears to be. But there's potential there. She could be more...
    Magic sense.
    Jade is innately magical, but she pushes that nature away. She does not want the magic she has.
    Life sense.
    Jade is alive. Moreover, that life is not tenuous like a mortal being, but bright and stable, like an immortal spirit.
    Mind reading.
    Jade's memories of that time are slippery. Was she in the Dreamheart finding the lost kumiho that called for her help? Or was she blackout drunk in a nightclub with her boyfriend by her side? Both? Neither?

Overall, she seems to be a tricky fox spirit, with some powers of dreams and some of fire, but not to the terrible strength of the kumiho. What exactly she is can remain a mystery, however.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Tea Needs Snacks]

Rejected!

Braeg scowls as he walks away from the young mage. What was the matter with her? Tutors like him only came across once in a lifetime, at their most frequent, how could she pass that up?

It's because she hates you. Like I do.

Yeah, okay, so he'd been a little arrogant. But didn't he have the right to be? He was a Lord, for Adea's sake! It's not boasting if you can back it up.

Stolen power. Stolen merit. There was a blood-price for both.

It was foolhardy. Even young as she was, she should have known better. He wasn't going to offer her a second chance, even as much as he might want to.

There ARE no second chances for men like you. Murderer. Thief. Liar.

...She really hated him, didn't she?

Braeg frowns, feeling an itch under his left nostril. He taps his finger to it, and...

Blood. He was bleeding.

Hmph.

Braeg wipes away the nosebleed and walks back to his quarters.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

5. - Top - End - #95

Default [Sanctuary]

"Well, you've made yourself even more magical than you were before." Arlem begins. That's the bad news.
    "You're were already going to be long-lived, and that's extended even further."
    "Being underwater should be safe, but you should take care of your body getting hurt."

Arlem gives a shrugging gesture.

"And there's something more. I can't see exactly what, because you're rejecting it, hiding it from yourself. If you really want to know, you're going to have to accept impossibility. Magic and dreams. You went looking for them, after all."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground

[Snacks! ... Eventually]

Keiko closes her eyes and holds Khannie, who will in short order feel a tear land on her head.

The war started when I was 14, and I really had no idea at all what was going on. I wasn't allowed to leave the palace, but Tammy and Norie and Hoshie were out doing something almost every day. This went on for two years.

But then something happened. Dad never came back from some meeting of our allies, and later on Noriko came back alone and she was badly hurt. Mom yelled for the guards and they locked down the palace: they took me to my room, and I hid in my bed.

It was horrible: there was so much noise, and screaming... but then it went all quiet and that was so much worse. I kept as quiet as I could, but it didn't matter: he was searching every room. I was so scared. Then I heard my door burst into splinters and then... he was there. So much blood... so much hate... he ripped off the blankets and grabbed me by the hair. He dragged me out to the courtyard where I could see the bodies of my sisters, the servants, everyone! He threw me on the ground and lifted his spear...

Keiko trembles

If only he was done with that. But his spear caught me and put me in a dark and horrible place. And when he let me out, it was even worse: a hellish parody of the real world where each new day dawned with me being hunted by dreadful demons, and closed with me being caught and killed and eaten. Every day... for four thousand, one hundred eighty nine years.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2021-08-10 at 01:35 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Barbarian in the Playground

[No More Snacks for Devils]

Khannie doesn't...

She doesn't even have context for an experience like that. She had been kidnapped, sure. Taken away from her dad. But as bad as that mysterious world was it wasn't anything like getting the Prometheus treatment.

Words have no place here.

Instead Khannie just hugs Keiko harder.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Post Re: The Temple of Inari 57: Life goes on

Sanctuary
    "I just wanted my memories back. It was hurting everyone I knew that I'd forgotten." Jade replies to the whole "seeking out magic and dreams." She sighs. "Well, thanks for the advice, at least. I'll be back for class tomorrow, I guess." Stupid magic. Why do things have to be so inexplicable?

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    [Sanctuary]

Yumiko contemplates recommending a divination spell or two, as the answers with the subject standing right there will be be highly accurate. It would technically interfering to make such a comment but a nudge now and then isn't that big of a deal.

But then someone chatters at her in Japanese! She responds, though it is somewhat different

<Edo-period Japanese><Oh, hello! This actually isn't my native tongue, but it is nice to hear.>

She looks out the back door for a moment

Dr. Yarafuji is heading from his room to the central cafeteria for his breakfast: he changed his schedule around so he could teach during the day when most students are active, but that resulted in him matching neither the more nocturnal nor the more diurnal life patterns.
    [Sanctuary]

Wow, she speaks ancient Japanese? That is so awesome! However, it seems they're carrying on in English, then!

"That is very good, very good indeed. Could you please point me to his direction? I think he will be very interested in what I have to s, considering it concerns one of his daughters." Svetlana says, still too busy looking around the environs to notice Yumiko looking out the back door. She's not felt so elated since she first discovered the beast elves of Himmelia, including Jinkei herself.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

10. - Top - End - #100

Default [Sanctuary]

"Thankfully you got them." Not that they were her memories to begin with. Those memories belonged to the one who stole Jade's face to begin with. It's a nice coincidence that they slow so well into the idea everyone else has of 'Jade' as a single person. "And not very much more besides."

Arlem offers one more piece of advice.
    "Try not to blame magic for being, well, magical. It's easier to understand if you accept that it's the way the world is."
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2021-08-10 at 04:51 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Yumiko points out the back door

Out the door, straight through the garden, over the small bridge, and into the big building: the cafeteria is to the right.

[Allright... now snacks!]

Keiko sniffles and her stomach growls again. She pulls a face.

Ok... now I really need some food.

She lets go of Khannie and starts to head back to the sanctuary.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

Steven steps aside and lets Arlem give Jade advice. He also notices that Yumiko seems to be finishing giving directions to the other woman.
    If Svetlana continues to speak to Yumiko he will patiently wait for their conversation to end.
    If she does leave he'll step back beside Yumiko. "So what did you want to speak about?"

13. - Top - End - #103

[Allright... now snacks!]

And thus Khannie follows close behind!

Well.

Not behind.

She's the sort of kid who runs ahead but she isn't one hundred percent sure where they're going.

"Daddy says that Trog's is dangerous sometimes," she admonishes Keiko. "Are you sure it's a safe place for kids? I'm still technically grounded and I'm not supposed to leave the temple. Do you think you could get some food and bring it back?"

Hey now.

That's a solution, isn't it?

"Also I cast a charm on you and it worked,"
    Khannie points out with a mischievous smile.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Sanctuary
    That last comment touches a nerve. "Just accept the world how it is?" Like hell she will! Jade rounds on Arlem, her tails fanning out angrily behind her. "Well, excuse me for having enough curiosity to question why things work the way they do. I can't just live with no explanation. You can't stop me from seeking the truth, even if you don't care to find out what's behind the curtain!"

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #105

Default [Sanctuary]

Arlem smiles and nods to Jade.
    "I wouldn't try to stop you. But Jade, how many times have you declared that you hate magic in your visits here? How many more times have you just said it to yourself?"
    He waves a hand to demonstrate the sanctuary.
    "Magic is all around you, regardless of how you feel about it."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Sanctuary
    "Yeah, I hate magic. I don't know how it works. I want to understand it. To see its inner workings. Things that just work and don't think about it too hard? In engineering, we call those black boxes. And they're bad. If something goes wrong, nobody knows how to fix it." Jade doesn't see "hating magic" and "wanting to understand magic" as mutually exclusive.

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Yumiko turns to Steven

You were concerned about your performance and the state of affairs here in our little side-branch of the Temple.
    While things should be a little more reasonable now that Keiko's ... group ... has disbanded, we do take your concerns seriously. Obviously our first priority was reassuring you that you are in no danger of falling out of favor, but beyond that we are still part of Inari's overall organization so... what can we do to help you grow into the position that circumstances and necessity have resulted in?

She spares a quick glance to Arlem... Jade's request is a tall order in many worlds, but here in the Nexus it is an utterly hopeless dream to "understand" magic.

Then Keiko walks in leading Khannie

Uh, well... yeah Trog's can be a bit too exciting at times... I'd say to not worry about that but if you're grounded then that's an entirely different matter - you never want to break your grounding, it only makes things so very much worse.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

Steven considers the question.
    "Well, ah. I suppose this isn't really an assessment or anything but I would accept any thoughts you had on the matter. If there's nothing you think I need to work on...
    Well, you don't think that I'm too easygoing to keep up with the nogitsune and shadow spirits, do you? I have been called...too nice."
    Mostly by one person, but still.

19. - Top - End - #109

[Sanctuary]

"Exactly! If I break my grounding then it gets worse so I have to be careful. I can just wait in here while you get the snacks, Keiko, it'll be fine," Khannie says.

Then waves at the various foxes milling around the sanctuary.

Hmm...

That lady with the fox ears and the giant mess of tails.

She's seen her before a couple times, though without the ears and tails and stuff last time. It was a while ago, but she definitely remembers her from the Spooktober party.

It's weird.

The lady looks really, really familiar but she can't quite place it. Like she saw someone like her before the party and things. Maybe she's the sister of-

Oh!

Oh oh oh!

That's it! She looks like... umm... Jason. Didn't he say his name was Jason? Khannie remembers his face from when he took off his helmet. It was a couple years ago but the events of her first super hero night really stick out in her mind. She probably shouldn't say hi, though. Jason's identity is a secret and besides this lady probably wouldn't know her anyway.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Keiko waves to everyone before popping through the mirror

Back in a sec.

Hm... she never asked what Khannie wanted...

Yumiko looks thoughtful

Are you too nice? Perhaps somewhat. Ironic as it is, from what I have seen Arlem over there is in many ways more like our usual priesthood: blunt, direct... he doesn't sugarcoat truth when it needs to be told and he has no compunctions challenging any statement or any one who's facts or perspective are faulty. He is not unnecessarily violent but he has no trouble taking permanent measures against threats to his person or his charges.

then she shakes her head

Unlike Keiko, I will not say that I cannot see why a priestess from elsewhere might disapprove. But this is not our usual sort of temple, either, and it is worth remembering that there are many who consider our point of view to be "evil". One of them would be labelled a menace and likely killed by misguided but well meaning "heroes" in fairly short order.
    Truly you would have a hard time in Zhangjiajae, or even WinterHearth... but many of our priestesses cannot manage in Rouen or York.

She looks at Steven

So... it is truly back to you. Are you too nice? Perhaps a few sessions with Arlem on how to be helpful without being soft? Or is it something else that you fear but haven't yet admitted perhaps even to yourself? Meditation and introspection are needed even by a priest, and Inari's altar has a mirror on it for a reason.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

Steven glances over at Jade and Arlem. He would never say it out loud but he has his own doubts about Arlem’s manner of doing things. He’s always helpful but also cryptic. He feels like he’s going to the Messengers when he talks to Arlem and not another mortal. And while they’re on plenty good terms it’s never quite been the same since they had that disagreement about Zee. Though he doesn’t think Arlem has held any grudge about it either.
    ”I am not opposed to action, nor have I shied away from it. Eclipse can tell you that. I suppose it might be that I sometimes find it difficult to mesh the roles of representing your sister in her capacity as the Lady of Night, home to those who dwell in the shadows, and the fierce avenger of wrongdoings and part-time dragon.”
    This is perhaps a distinction. Steven has never retreated from a fight. But his fighting style takes after Myobu as much as one would expect. He is calm and serene. He is not fierce.

22. - Top - End - #112

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Sanctuary
    "Yeah, I hate magic. I don't know how it works. I want to understand it. To see its inner workings. Things that just work and don't think about it too hard? In engineering, we call those black boxes. And they're bad. If something goes wrong, nobody knows how to fix it." Jade doesn't see "hating magic" and "wanting to understand magic" as mutually exclusive.
    "Don't confuse acceptance of a thing for ignorance of it."
    "It's a fine thing to be curious. But you could investigate magic for a dozen lifetimes and not be done. It would be a shame to spend all that time angry about it."

Arlem nods to Jade. He doesn't bring up the fact that there are things man (or fox) truly were not meant to know. Jade wouldn't appreciate it, and she's probably not in any danger of learning them in her lessons on kitsune. Nor does he say that unlike say, physics, there are things here that literally cannot be learned out of spite. Telling someone to have a different frame of mind isn't the same thing as giving them that frame of mind.
    "Best of luck in your lessons."

As for Steven, it's not a grudge, so much as having been disappointed. Steven is insufficiently fierce, and easily distracted by peculiar things, and while we should hardly blame a mouse for being mousey, it can make things more difficult.

As one of the various foxes around here, he waves back at Khannie.
    Good to see the-
    "Khannie? Why aren't you in your body?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #113

[Sanctuary]

That's a pretty legitimate question.

Why aren't you in your body, Khannie?

Not that most people would notice that her soul is inside her soul gem rather than inside her body. But for anyone who CAN notice such a thing? Totally legit question.

Khannie isn't particularly shy about the answer, especially since she figured it out via watching Zebes' weird cartoon with him. It revealed many of the dangers and pitfalls of being a Magical Girl and now that Khannie knows about them she feels like she's better equipped to avoid the Bad Ending. Honestly she's pretty annoyed at that weird magic cat thing. She had specifically asked it about downsides to the wish and she feels like leaving out 'your soul will get stuck inside of a magical gem that will nurture and grow it like an egg until it hatches into an abstract manifestation of despair' is a pretty major omission.

"I met this little cat thing named Kyuubi who said he would grant me any wish I wanted and I would become a Magical Girl. So I grilled him on if there were any bad things about making a wish and he declined to tell me that Magical Girls are basically extra sparkly still alive liches,"
    Khannie explains. "So I guess my soul is inside my soul gem now?"

She points at the little amethyst stud in her right ear.

"I was thinking I would talk to someone at the temple about it but I guess you know about soul things since you noticed it?"
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2021-08-12 at 11:16 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Khannie's response gets a brief, baffled glance from Yumiko.

She ponders Steven's statements. She also notices Arlem's thought about Steven being insufficiently fierce because despite Keiko's assertion, the Messengers can all read such things - not just Myobi. Especially here in the temple proper. She turns back to Steven thoughtfully

Things have been unsettling since you left your farm and came here, haven't they? And Caroline has a way to go herself before she lives up to her fourteen times great grandmother, which makes her perhaps less supporting for you than she could be... perhaps there is a way to help you both. I shall ask my father if he would be willing to help.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2021-08-12 at 11:16 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

"Your father? He does not visit often. Well, if you think he can help." Orochi doesn't visit often primarily because he is from another realm entirely and while supportive of his daughters, he is not actually on Tamamo's payroll. He also exemplifies Keiko's statement about some of them being far too easy to have heroes bent on killing them. He has been a gracious host to Steven and he has nothing but good things to say about him. It's just that he can entirely see someone hearing 'many headed lord of shadows' and charging off without hearing more.
    "It is always an honor speaking to your family, of course." He smiles at Yumiko. It's true, of course. They've been very accommodating all things considered. But it seems most higher entities with offices or interests in the Nexus pay it special attention. Like Earth in comic books, it's just more trouble than any other place.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Sanctuary

Since Arlem's (finally) leaving her alone, Jade leaves the sanctuary and heads for the gardens. While she's here, she might as well practice her magic.
    Since getting her memories back, it's been easier for her, but she still can't do as much as she could as a Kumiho. She creates a little ball of foxfire and swishes it around between her hands and tails. Good, that's still working. Now it's time to experiment. She pulls a thermometer out of her purse and sets it down in the grass, then sits down cross-legged facing it. She focuses.

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #117

[Sanctuary]

Oh, what a difficult situation. Even thinking about it the wrong way could be troublesome to Khannie. Got to be careful how we tell her things. See, to Kyubey, putting them in a magical gem where they can grow into despair is an upside, perhaps the whole point!

"You're quite right. I know a bit about 'soul things', as you say, but I'm hardly an expert."

In their own realm, a magical girl is totally doomed, one way or the other. But maybe here things can be different.

"Did your wish come true? You don't have to tell me what it was."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #118
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Yumiko has been looking a bit distant for a brief while, then she blinks and focuses on Steven once more

Hm? Visit? No, no: there's no reason for him to come here - I can channel anything needed... but there's nothing of the sort. An imp should be along shortly with his contribution. It is a potion if I understood correctly: I do not fully recognize some of the terms he used. The end result, however, is that you will gain a tiny portion of his nature.

A portion of eight headed shadow dragon added to your overall nature. What could possibly go wrong?

Keiko comes in with food

Woo hoo! Score! I've got fried chicken, fried fish, slaw, fries, and brownies!
    Last edited by Fenric; 2021-08-12 at 12:55 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119

[Sanctuary]

"Me and uncle Zebes thought we would be able to find someone who knew about soul stuff at the temple, I'm glad we were right," Khannie says with a resolute nod.

Really, she knows quite a bit about her situation thanks to Zebes' weird cartoons. Khannie isn't happy that she was tricked but she's pretty sure she can manage things. She's tough and dauntless! She'll be able to avoid losing herself to despair until they figure out how to make sure she won't be able to turn into a witch, she's sure of it. For now, though, she'll use the Magical Girl powers for good!

"I don't mind talking about my wish; it doesn't have to be a secret or anything like that. I wished to be a real human girl. I used to be a weird haunter kangaskhan fusion thingy. A sort of pokemon. I always dreamed of being a real human just like my dad."

See?

Wish granted.

Just with some extra baggage Khannie hadn't been counting on.

But that's okay they'll figure it out.

And the Keiko returns triumphantly!

She managed to accomplish something correctly, good on her!

Khannie's mouth immediately begins watering at the aroma of freshly fried food.

"Oh wow Keiko that smells REALLY good. Where should we eat it? Does anyone else want any?"
    she asks, looking around at those gathered in the Sanctuary. "Should we leave a little bit of the food for an offering? Since you got sent to help me, Keiko? I'm not sure how that works."

Khannie isn't an expert in godology.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2021-08-12 at 01:01 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

Now that has Steven staring in surprise.
    "Um. While I am flattered that I am being offered to be a fragment your relative ah...how is that going to help me, exactly?" he asks incredulously.
    Not that he's going to say no if Yumiko insists it will be helpful. The Messengers have never given him poor advice before. Except maybe Keiko but she has a better track record than some people would think from her reputation.