New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Any books with a normal dude and a female vampire?

The whole "female lead with scary vampire boyfriend" subgenre of urban fantasy really should count as its own separate genre by this point, given how popular it is.

I suddenly started wondering: Is there no reverse to this? Where it's a normal (-ish?) dude with a vampire girlfriend? Or at least has some sexual tension with a fanged femme fatale? I'm suddenly pretty interested in it being the dude who has to show trust, and/or carefully manage his feelings for a powerful, dangerous entity. It certainly would be a good show of non-fragile masculinity.

Can you think of any books that have this dynamic?

Oh, and despite the title it doesn't have to a vampire, specifically. Just any powerful supernatural.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Any books with a normal dude and a female vampire?

Would you accept a story about a male vampire lead and a scary female girlfriend? There's an entertaining series called Fred The Vampire Accountant, which is almost 100% Exactly What It Says On The Tin - Fred is a vampire, but he's also unathletic and very timid, whereas his girlfriend is a badass supernatural-fighting agent for the Masquerade-enforcing secret government agency.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Not a book, but the Highlander: The Raven spin-off series met this trope.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    The whole "female lead with scary vampire boyfriend" subgenre of urban fantasy really should count as its own separate genre by this point, given how popular it is.

I suddenly started wondering: Is there no reverse to this? Where it's a normal (-ish?) dude with a vampire girlfriend? Or at least has some sexual tension with a fanged femme fatale? I'm suddenly pretty interested in it being the dude who has to show trust, and/or carefully manage his feelings for a powerful, dangerous entity. It certainly would be a good show of non-fragile masculinity.

Oh, and despite the title it doesn't have to a vampire, specifically. Just any powerful supernatural.
    Aah! Megami-sama! (Oh My Goddess!) fits the bill - ordinary mortal gets the Norn Verdandi as a girlfriend due to a poorly worded wish.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

In Anne Rice's The Mummy or Ramses the Damned, Cleopatra has a fling with a guy. Cleopatra is an immortal, not a vampire but is very similar to one. I can't remember too much as it has been at least two decades since I read it and is not one of Anne Rice's better books.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

There's a whole fictional genre about were-panther women with normal but hot boyfriends they can tear to shreds. My cousin reads them, it's usually plots like "super powered female wolverine rescues emotionally abused guy by steering him from being a prostitute/underwear model to being her monogamous assassin partner."

I bet you can find an enormous amount of that online too. It's all probably pretty lemony though.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #7

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    There's a whole fictional genre about were-panther women with normal but hot boyfriends they can tear to shreds. My cousin reads them, it's usually plots like "super powered female wolverine rescues emotionally abused guy by steering him from being a prostitute/underwear model to being her monogamous assassin partner."
    That's... extremely specific.

I have never, ever, even heard of this existing. I'm not doubting you. Just saying.

I bet you can find an enormous amount of that online too. It's all probably pretty lemony though.
    What's "lemony"? English is a second language.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Not a vampire movie, but I'm just watching a really low quality movie called "Bury the Ex" which is about a guy having trouble with a girl they wanted to break up with returning from the grave, demanding commitment.

9. - Top - End - #9

That's... extremely specific.

I have never, ever, even heard of this existing. I'm not doubting you. Just saying.

What's "lemony"? English is a second language.
    It's a slang term used to describe fan-fics with explicit sexual content, with the implicit stereotype that the smut is both poorly written and detracts from the story as a whole. Also used as a slang term for automobiles with severe and potentially crippling mechanical problems, but I think it's the first definition here that applies.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Basically its smut that makes you cringe like sucking a lemon.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It's a slang term used to describe fan-fics with explicit sexual content, with the implicit stereotype that the smut is both poorly written and detracts from the story as a whole. Also used as a slang term for automobiles with severe and potentially crippling mechanical problems, but I think it's the first definition here that applies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post
    Basically its smut that makes you cringe like sucking a lemon.
    I always thought it was called that because it had a very narrow apeel.
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

12. - Top - End - #12

GnomePirate

Didn't the author of Twilight also once write a gender-bent version of the book? That would be the exact thing you're asking about!

Oh yes, she did, and it's exactly Twilight except everyone has different names. So yay, gender equality. I guess.
    Last edited by Murk; 2021-08-07 at 03:15 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

They were broken up at the time she was turned and never completely got back together, but there's Felix Jaeger and Ulrika Magdova Straghov from Gotrek and Felix. In her spin-off trilogy she has a couple more pseudo-relationships as well.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thank you to Ceika for the signature and avatar.

Read Sons of the Fallen here

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I feel sure I've seen this a couple of places, but I'm struggling to remember examples.

"Ow, My Sanity" is a webcomic with a similar premise (swap "vampire" for "eldritch abomination taking human form"), but has been abandoned for the last few years.

It comes up a couple of times in The Dresden Files, though it's not a perfect match. Harry is a wizard, and so an absolute powerhouse when given time to prepare, but in a lot of fights he's essentially a fit dude with a couple of tricks, and several of those times he relies on his love interests to protect him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The main example being of course half-vampire Susan, but he's also been in a similar boat with Lara Raith protecting him, and the possibility of a romance between the two has been growing.

Ah, and there is a TV Tropes page devoted to the premise, Boy Meets Ghoul.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2021-08-07 at 05:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Ah, and there is a TV Tropes page devoted to the premise, Boy Meets Ghoul.
    That's actually a sub-trope of the larger Magical Girlfriend trope, which is basically all about normal schlub with super-girlfriend to one degree or another, although a lot of the time it's more wish-fulfillment where the guy is some random loser getting an awesome girlfriend. But that trope page should at least give you a place to start (assuming you ever come back out again ).
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Well the modern "aristocrat" vampire (instead of the more ghoulish undead) was written by John William Polidori in 1819 with "The VAMPYRE" a short story.

John William Polidori being the male lover of Lord Byron, and after they broke up he wrote this work of fiction. Note John participated in the Lord Byron ghost story contest which inspired Mary Shelley to later write Frankenstein, The Modern Prometheus. Byron told something that would be similar to a Vampire story that night, and after the two of them broke up John based The Vampyre on his ex. We have writtings both by Byron and John of this chronologically of events and how Lord Byron considered The Vampyre to be fully John's even if Byron told a similar story.

-----

Likewise the most famous aristocratic vampire story is Bram Stoker's Dracula. Stoker being a closeted man married to a women, and we know this fact due to the private letters between Bram and Walt Whitman. Letters scholars labeled as homoerotic. Sidenote in earlier letters to Whitman Stoker references those Romantics I mentioned before of Shelly, Byron, Mary Shelly, etc wanting to recreate a friend group similar to what existed decades prior.

Bram was married to Florence Balcombe. Before Florence married Bram, Florence was engaged to Oscar Wilde. Bram started writting Dracula the month of Oscar Wilde's trial. My point here is themes of LGBT but also the Imperial Gothic pervade the two most famous Aristocratic Vampire stories. Imperial Gothic being stuff like Colonialization infecting the UK homeland, for example Dracula learning the English language, buying property, and so on. [ A better example of Imperial Gothic is Stoker's less famous work The Jewel of Seven Stars, a novel about an Egyptian Queen Mummy, which inspired many future Black and White and Color Movies ]

-----

What I am trying to say here is that the most famous examples of the Vampire Genre are tied to the desires and fears of not the authors, but the culture they were being written in. There is a chimera nature to said story, the vampires representing something forbidden like Men Love Men or Women Love Women, but also an Outsider Loving an English "Noble" Woman either by true love or some form of seductive trick like a spell, money, or the glance of the eyes.

Now Vampires are so popular now that the original genre is not just works of Imperial Gothic anymore. A creature we call a vampire can be in a general Urban Fantasy story, or it can be in an empowered Coming to Age story with a Female Heroine on a broadcast tv station, or dozens of other things.

The archetype was created, and when you deviate from the archetype you are now in conversation (like a mirror) with the original popular thing. Even if the people who made it popular are long dead since Dracula was published in 1897 and thus there is a more gradual reinvention with each new story where you can't draw bright lines where one ends and another begins.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

The Merry Gentry series stars a sexually uninhibited princess of the Unseelie Fae and I'm sure at least one of her partners is normal. Most are at least "more normal" or less powerful than she is, like the one guy I remember whose entire powerset seems to be turning into a seal (the animal).

I liked these books a lot when I was a teenager, but for some reason came back to them a lot less once I had easy access to the internet.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story is a novel with a comedic vibe about a redheaded vampire and her human boyfriend. It’s by Christopher Moore.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodsucking_Fiends

I haven’t read it, but I know of it.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2021-08-07 at 09:19 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    The Merry Gentry series stars a sexually uninhibited princess of the Unseelie Fae and I'm sure at least one of her partners is normal. Most are at least "more normal" or less powerful than she is, like the one guy I remember whose entire powerset seems to be turning into a seal (the animal).

I liked these books a lot when I was a teenager, but for some reason came back to them a lot less once I had easy access to the internet.
    You gotta admit, having the magical power to transform into a SEAL (the soldier) would be fairly unusual.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I felt the need to specify because the amount of times I've seen people in fantasy series turn into metaphorical or literal seals (like to keep something closed/trapped) ran through my head as I said it. =p

21. - Top - End - #21

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Aah! Megami-sama! (Oh My Goddess!) fits the bill - ordinary mortal gets the Norn Verdandi as a girlfriend due to a poorly worded wish.
    I second this. It’s hilarious to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I always thought it was called that because it had a very narrow apeel.
    …… you are evil…

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Does Corpse Bride count? It's a stop-motion film made by Tim Burton about a guy who hooks up with an animated corpse girl.

23. - Top - End - #23

The Little Vampire novel series has the regular kid protagonist sort-of date the titular vampire's little sister.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

24. - Top - End - #24

There are some, most I can vaguely remember are YA though. Anna Dressed in Blood was pretty good (dangerous ghost girl not vampire ) not a fan of the ending though.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Focusing slightly more on TV I guess you have The Munster's :)
    Spoiler: Explaining the joke
    Show

...of course they think they are all 'normal', and the town don't think Herman is a normal dude

and Jonathon/(Lucy&)Mina from Dracula

I suspect there's a societal expectation thing that changes the dynamics. I was going to make the Dracula example another joke, but I think I'll leave it.

So when it comes to unbalanced relationship Bewitched and Sabrina cover some of the similar space (mortal/human) but with (Good)Witches and more or less have to suppress themselves.
    The planet from Foundations Edge/Earth possibly also (and on that basis Trance-Gemini from Andromeda).

There are a number of ones where the girl is Fairy/Goddess (all of Tom Holts for a start), but again that tends to be the reveal at the end. Some others where the wild woman is subdued and tamed.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I hear that Let The Right One In and the film of the same name that was based on it are worth a look: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...e_Right_One_In

EDIT: Oh yes, and the American remake of that film, titled Let Me In is reportedly good too.
    Last edited by paddyfool; 2021-09-01 at 02:36 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Perhaps unsurprisingly, TV Tropes has a pretty big list of Magical Girlfriends that run the gamut from vampires and werewolves, up to goddesses and similarly cosmic entities.

I can personally account for Neverwhere and Stardust, both by Neil Gaiman. There's shades of it in another of his books, American Gods, which I think is the better story but [SPOILER] the male protagonist turns out not to be as ordinary as he first realised by the end so it might not quite count.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

The Georgina Kincaid series by Richelle Mead is an urban fantasy series about a succubus with a human man as her main love interest.

I enjoyed the series, but you might want to read some reviews of the first book, Succubus Blues, before deciding if it might be for you. I'd definitely class it as aggressively "not for everyone."
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Going back to webcomics, My Succubus Girlfriend and Spells from Hell are both pretty close, featuring a demon and kitsune respectively instead of vampires. The former is on indefinite hiatus, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

I want another Bryan Fuller type Hannibal show, and I would accept a Female Dracula type figure corrupting the Will Graham type figure so it will be different than BF’s Hannibal.

Especially if the Female Vampire coded figure is like Hela of Thor Ragnarok or Morticia Addams of The Adams Family. Give her a different fabulous outfit or three every week in each individual episode.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele