New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Any books with a normal dude and a female vampire?

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story is a novel with a comedic vibe about a redheaded vampire and her human boyfriend. It’s by Christopher Moore.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodsucking_Fiends

I haven’t read it, but I know of it.
    I was about to suggest this as well
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

There's the Manga series Chibi Vampire/Karin. It also has an Anime (though it goes in a completely different direction than the manga) and some tie in Light Novels for the manga.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Perhaps unsurprisingly, TV Tropes has a pretty big list of Magical Girlfriends that run the gamut from vampires and werewolves, up to goddesses and similarly cosmic entities.

I can personally account for Neverwhere and Stardust, both by Neil Gaiman. There's shades of it in another of his books, American Gods, which I think is the better story but [SPOILER] the male protagonist turns out not to be as ordinary as he first realised by the end so it might not quite count.
    Neverwhere and Stardust are both good examples of "mundane guy, powerful gal," though they do both lean pretty heavily on that "in way over his head" style from Harry Potter, where it starts to strain credibility that this random schmuck could survive this long surrounded by much more competent allies and enemies. I'm beginning to suspect Mr. Gaiman had a bit of either wish fulfillment or a certain type of competent female love interest he liked to write.

Season 4 of Buffy also features a pretty mundane dude with a competent supernatural woman. Not everyone liked that romance but I thought it was handled pretty well.

Gunnerkrigg Court features two separate super-badass, super-strong, supernatural women with relatively mundane male partners. Neither is insecure about it.

It's short-lived and not my favorite relationship, but in Legend of Korra Seasons 1 & 2 her boyfriend is pretty chill about dating a physical god. He's just not chill about other personality stuff

Of course none of these are exactly what you're looking for, they're just relationships where the woman broadly has more physical & social power. It's hard to think of actual femme fatale examples, vampire or otherwise, because unfortunately a lot of writers who take that approach are doing it for the smut.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Nancy A. Collins has written four novels with female vampire / vampire hunter Sonja Blue. She has a human male physic boyfriend in the first one, and a human detective boyfriend in the next two. I haven't read the 4th. (I wasnt't even there was a 4th one until I googled her just now. The first, Sunglasses After Dark was published in 1989, and seems to have been pretty influential on whole modern vampires thing. Fair warning, the books are not exactly cheery, and might be edging into grimdark territory,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_...s_bibliography

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The Hollows series from Kim Harrison has some of this in it. It focuses more on the witch Rachel Morgan, but her good friend Ivy is a vampire and has some regular boyfriends. And even if it doesn't fit the trope perfectly, I find them still good books to read.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

For some reason seeing this thread topic today jogged my memory.

There is a tie-in novel to Warhammer Fantasy hailing form the early 1990s iirc, about a vampire Genevive with a human male beau.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#Other_stories

The Vampire Genevieve
    These novels were authored by Kim Newman under the pen name Jack Yeovil and collected in omnibus in 2005 (ISBN 9781844162444) and 2021 (ISBN 9781800260733).

Apparently there's a new print of the omnibus version I would recommend. It is quite okay and I hated it (sort of) because it was very non-canonical to the Warhammer fantasy universe back then. And now. But the story itself is fair.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Colossus in the Playground

Actually it is semi-canon - just in very broad strokes. Genevieve herself makes an appearance in the End Times, as does a resurrected Drachenfels:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...re/Drachenfels

Canon Discontinuity: Changes to Warhammer canon made after the novel's publication have rendered quite a lot of it incompatible with it, but people love it anyway. Other authors continue to reference it, creating the bizarre situation wherein Drachenfels himself is never brought up but his castle and Detlef Sierck's plays are. The End Times reintroduces elements of the novels in Broad Strokes, with a resurrected (although amnesiac) Drahenfels serving as one of Nagash's generals against the Hordes of Chaos. An unidentified vampire heavily hinted to be Genevieve also pops up a few times to give the heroes significant intelligence.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Actually it is semi-canon - just in very broad strokes. Genevieve herself makes an appearance in the End Times, as does a resurrected Drachenfels:
    You and all the heretics will burn in the fires. I have called the Witch Hunters.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

While not a major thread of the book (they're secondary characters), The Last Girl Scout does have a heroic female vampire and her human boyfriend.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist - Young, bullied Oskar pretty much hates his life, until a new girl moves in next door... a strange girl who only comes out at night can solve a Rubik's Cube in moments.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Metamagic Mods: any books on the Thread Necromancy rules?
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)