A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Skip straight to the Endgame: City of Locusts, Book 6 of Wrath of the Righteous

Duadin Ironskin

Duadin watches the rival warpriest leave with a satisfied look before attending to the queen’s words. He looks surprised ”Close the worldwound majesty? Is that even a possibility!” he utters, the prospect too much for him to take in.

At the request to man the Towers of Drezen he nods. “Aye. I’ll hold the line. Not a demon shall pass us she’ll be here waiting for you when you return.”

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Duadin Ironskin
    LG Dwarf Warpriest (Arsenal Champion) /Guardian, Level 16 / MR1, Init 4, HP 270/270, Speed 30
    AC 38, Touch 19, Flat-footed 34, CMD 37, Fort 20, Ref 14, Will 20, CMB +19, Base Attack Bonus 12
    Evil outsider Bane Cold Iron Warhammer +1 (- +25, 6d6+25 w/Imp Vital strike/Power attack) 25/20/15 (2d6+15, 19-20 / x3)
    Comp (+5) Longbow Demon Bane +1 (50 cold iron, 50 silver) +17 /12 / 7 (1d8+6, x3)
    Cold Iron spike Gauntlet MW +20/15/10 (1d4+6, x2)
    Fly 1/ day, counts as medium. Celestial Plate Armour +3, Spend Fervour for +2/3(vs Demon/undead) Sacred AC for 1 minute |Heavy Steel Shield +2 Adamantine, Crusading (+12 Armor, +4 Shield, +4 Dex, +3 Natural, +3 Deflect, +2 Misc)
    Abilities Str 24, Dex 18, Con 20, Int 10, Wis 20, Cha 18
    Condition

Magic Vestment on Shield (increase to +4 bonus)
    G Magic Weapon on Hammer (increase to +4 bonus)
    +4 Saves vs Poison/Spells/Spell like abilities
    CMD +4 Vs Disarm, Bullrush, Trip, Push, Pull

Immune: Fatigue, Exhaustion, Disease
    Reduce Fear 3/ day
    Ability Damage DR2 (1 vs Drain)

Mythic Power 5/5
    Fervour 12/12
    Blessing 11/11

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Skip straight to the Endgame: City of Locusts, Book 6 of Wrath of the Righteous

Akhmet ignores the general's curt tone. He has faced much worse than words in his time. But he does appreciate his companion's quick defence of him, and nods in gratitude to Duadin. At the Queen's words, he considers what she is asking of them, then nods agreement. "I stand ready to defend your Keep, Milady. I am confident that we can hold it until you return," he says.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Lindon bows his head.

"Gladly, your grace."
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Her Grace returns Lindon’s nod. “Your valor is not in question. Together I am confident that we can rid the land of the demon scourge. Tonight you must rest and regain your spells. Tomorrow I shall leave and hope to return as soon as I can, with further details on how to take advantage of the slim hope before us.”

[OOC: The PC's are able to sleep for 8 hours and regain all spells accordingly]
    Last edited by Steamed; 2021-09-01 at 10:16 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Akhmet goes and sleeps the sleep of the just and righteous. In the morning, he rises early, prays for an hour, then he breaks his fast. Once that is done, he returns to the throne room, ready to undertake their new and most important task.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Duadin Ironskin

Duadin had slept fitfully. Even for such a devout dwarf the events of the past few days with the raid on the Ivory Labyrnth, the horrors they had seen within, and the rescue of the herlad were a lot to take in. Dawn had found him praying for guidance as he sat by a watch fire atop the tower looking over the blasted landscape and slowly rebuilding city of Drezen.

It seemed like an age since he had raided the place with his companions at the head of a small army and driven Stauntaon Vane out. But now looking at the high gates and the towering walls he worried about what might come. If the locust lord was stirring the attack would be swift and savage and without mercy and Duadin prayed to the Forge Father that he could spare as many as he could the horror of what was to come.

He saw the Queen and her entrouage leave in the pre-dawn light and headed downstairs, checking in on the guards with warm words and heads back down to the throne room. Seeing Akhmet he nods and offers a mug of warm ale from the tray that he had collected as he passed by the kitchens. "Though we might gather here, so I brought some beverages. The men seem happy, the walls look strong. If the Gods are with us they enemy will be recovering from the blow we struck and not strike back so so soon..." he pauses, pulling at his beard. "But I have a bad feeling, like when you know there is a crack in a blade you can't quite see until tempering. Something is coming, so keep your weapons sharp and to hand eh?"

Show

In the morning after prayers cast Greater Magic weapon and magic Vestment with Extend rods

Duadin Ironskin
    LG Dwarf Warpriest (Arsenal Champion) /Guardian, Level 16 / MR1, Init 4, HP 270/270, Speed 30
    AC 38, Touch 19, Flat-footed 34, CMD 37, Fort 20, Ref 14, Will 20, CMB +19, Base Attack Bonus 12
    Evil outsider Bane Cold Iron Warhammer +1 (- +25, 6d6+25 w/Imp Vital strike/Power attack) 25/20/15 (2d6+15, 19-20 / x3)
    Comp (+5) Longbow Demon Bane +1 (50 cold iron, 50 silver) +17 /12 / 7 (1d8+6, x3)
    Fly 1/ day, counts as medium. Celestial Plate Armour +3, Spend Fervour for +2/3(vs Demon/undead) Sacred AC for 1 minute |Heavy Steel Shield +2 Adamantine, Crusading (+12 Armor, +4 Shield, +4 Dex, +3 Natural, +3 Deflect, +2 Misc)
    Condition

Reduce Fear 3/ day

Mythic Power 5/5
    Fervour 12/12
    Blessing 11/11

Spells Active
    Magic Vestment on Shield (increase to +4 bonus) - 32 hours
    G Magic Weapon on Hammer (increase to +4 bonus) - 32 hours

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Duadin's worst fears are realized. As the party enters the throne room, they find the queen huddles with her advisors near the throne, talking animatedly. To the side is a banquet table loaded with both hot and cold breakfast foods: white bread and cinnamon buns fresh from the oven, slabs of butter and soft cheese and honey, fresh fruit and preserves, hot black tea and a room temp oatmeal stout. But is it not the repast that draws your attention but the somber look on the Queen's face as she notices your arrival.

"My friends, we have reports that the demon armies have started to advance upon the borders. I must go to Nerosyan now to organize the defenses there. The nearest horde to Drezen, an immense force of vrocks, babaus and apocalypse locusts, is marching here as we speak. I charge you to repel their attack using any means necessary. I promise I shall return as soon as I can. With reinforcements if need be, or with news about the Lexicon if you manage the threat by yourselves."
    Last edited by Steamed; 2021-09-04 at 01:00 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Lindon joins the two later. He nods at the queen's speech of entrusting defense of this fort to the group.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Duadin Ironskin

Duadin paused at the news from the Queen, his face grave as he looks to Ahkmet and Lindon. “We must look to our defences, the force sounds ferocious. We must look to the skies and get the men to have an ample supply of arrows and other ranged weapons”

Looking to the more learned members of the group, “What can you tell us of the powers and abilities of these foes”

Show

In the morning after prayers cast Greater Magic weapon and magic Vestment with Extend rods

Duadin Ironskin
    Condition

Reduce Fear 3/ day

Mythic Power 5/5
    Fervour 12/12
    Blessing 11/11

Spells Active

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"A vast army, as you call them, will be extremely difficult to fight. Do you have any secret weapon that we may use to aid us? Our party can fight at least one each, I would think. But much more than that in an open fight will surely overrun us," Akhmet says to the Queen.

"I know much of such creatures. What knowledge would you have of them, that you have not already learned in our battles against the fiends?" he asks Duadin next.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The Queen quickly rattles off the current battle conditions. “I only have a battalion stationed here in Drezen, about a thousand soldiers. Most of them are seasoned crusaders, thankfully, but only 1 in 10 are spellcasters. I will give General Tomor the command here.” At this, the half-orc gives you a toothy grin that could be mistaken for a sneer.

“The opposing force is led by a greater demon, a marilith general named Aponavicius. You will be a strike force that I charge to seek out Aponavicius and destroy or disable her. Without strong leadership, the demon horde should be much easier to rout, once they realize this city is not a prize to be easily won.”

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Lindon fills his endless decanter with water via a command before casting Tears to Wine on the liquid. He pours the wine onto his companions' cups before drinking from the jug.

"Drink the content I poured out before you try to recall what you read or heard about Aponavicius."

Show
    Tears to Wine; all Allies who drink from his wine gain +10 enhancement bonus to INT and WIS checks for 160 minutes.

Knowledge (Planes) check to see what he knows about Aponavicius: (1d20+21)[22]
    Last edited by Yas392; 2021-09-08 at 10:30 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Duadin Ironskin

The dwarf listens intently and nods. he eyes General Tomor, trying not to let the green skinned sneer annoy him. "Aye well General make sure your men hold the line. We'll offer support where we can before we strike." Glancing at the others he grins, "Cut the head and all the arms off that snake tailed demon eh? That we can manage."

With the offer of the wine he nods thanks and has a long draught, "Oh, that be a good vintage" he exclaims before the magical wine hits him and his brain grows in intense clarity as he tries to recall facts on the apocalyse locusts ad this Marillith general.

Show

Know (Planes) check including the +10 bonus from the wine (1d20+22)[25]

Duadin Ironskin
    Condition

Reduce Fear 3/ day

Mythic Power 5/5
    Fervour 12/12
    Blessing 11/11

Spells Active

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Akhmet drinks the offered draught, and feels sudden clarity. His mind expands, even though it already knows much of demons, and suddenly even more forgotten knowledge fills his head. He tries to think of this particular marilith, knowing that one who has risen to such heights of command should have left many tales of her past.

Show
    (1d20+37)[43] Knowledge: Planes. Includes bonus from Devilbane Priest as well as the drink.
    Last edited by paradox26; 2021-09-09 at 04:50 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Lindon recalls that a greater marilith is a mythic creature and has standard spell like abilities of a normal marilith such as teleport, telekinesis, fly, blade barrier, summon demons, immunity to electricity and poison, resistance to acid, cold, fire and also some magic resistance.

Duadin knows all that Lindon does and also remembers hearing that this marilith general is one of Deskari’s top commanders and prefers to lead her armies from the rear. She is cautious as well and recalls that of the numerous battles she’s led, not one crusader has been able to close to melee combat with her.

Akhmet has a sudden clarity, and remembers reading a centuries-old journal from an adventurer who encountered her in the Abyss. The mythic demon had a personal demiplane set amid the Rasping Rifts, Deskari’s home plane. From thence she could strike at her foes across the planes, through astral projections and other such magic. She was also known to have a corrupted phoenix as a pet and bodyguard.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I know of this marilith," Akhmet says to the others. "She has a private demiplane from which she sends out astral projections to fight her battles for her. She also has a corrupted phoenix as her servant, which I am sure we will have to deal with. Besides that, I am sure you all know the basic powers of her kind." He considers the best way to fight such a creature. Perhaps instead of fighting their way through an army, only to end up fighting an enemy that isn't really there, they could go straight to her demiplane and fight her real body there. That way, she would likely only have a few servants present, including likely the phoenix, which would prove a troublesome enemy to have to face.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

One of Galfrey’s court magicians enters, and Galfrey nods to your party. “I leave the order of battle to you. Tomor shall command the crusaders in my absence.” The magician steps close to Galfrey and her guards and with an arcane word and gesture, a golden light surrounds them and they are gone.

Tomor scowls in your direction. “I don’t know what your plans are, but just try to stay out of our way. I don’t approve of freelancers and adventurers. Discipline is what wins battles, no matter your past accomplishments.”

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Duadin Ironskin

Duadin looks at Tomor blankly, "Have your troops hold where they can. We shall plug the gaps when they fall or where there is a threat too grave. At least until we can cut the tail from the snake demon that commands them." Looking at his companions he points up to the roof, "Shall we ascend the tower to get a better vantage point. The power of the Sword of Valour should prvent the vile demons teleporting within the structure itself."

If the others agree he'll tramp upstairs and stand atop the main tower, looking out towards the World wound, a gruff "Stand ready men, Honour her." as he waits for the inevitable hail of demons and death to decsend down upon them

Show

Duadin Ironskin
    Condition

Reduce Fear 3/ day

Mythic Power 5/5
    Fervour 12/12
    Blessing 11/11

Spells Active

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Lindon follows the dwarf up the main tower without a word.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As Duadin leads the group to the northwest tower’s stairwell, they pass squads of soldiers hurrying to their assigned positions. They give your party a wide berth, recognizing you as the Queen’s champions.

As you near the tower, you can hear distant sounds of fighting: the guttural roar of demons and the screams of men and women dying. A pair of guardsmen are rushing towards the stairs, one of them gives you a frantic look. “Demons in the tower, hurry!”

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Akhmet follows upwards, then when he hears there are demons within the tower itself, he breaks into a full run, drawing his weapon as he runs, and preparing to fight, a prayer to the goddess upon his lips as he runs.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Duadin Ironskin

At hearing the sounds of conflict and the tower shaking Duadin grimaces,"Aye, well those lads didn't hang about then did they!" and glances upstairs. "Forgefather grant m all your might" he mutters as an aura of scintillating energy surrounds him and religious fervour fills his frame with aggression and speed, "Aye, wait fer me.." he calls to Akhmet as he speeds after him, moving magically quickly!

Show

Standard Action: Cast Magic Circle vs Evil (160 mins)
    Swift action (1 fervour): Cast extended Channel Vigour (limbs = haste)
    Move: Start running up the stirs at "haste" speed

Duadin Ironskin
    Condition

Current AC = 10 +14 (armour) +4 (shield) +4 Dex +3 nat +3 deflect +2 luck +1 haste = 41 (FF 36, Touch 20)

Reduce Fear 3/ day

Mythic Power 5/5
    Fervour 11/12
    Blessing 11/11

Spells Active
    Magic Circle vs Evil - 10ft radius +2 AC/saves vs Evil, immune compulsion - 160 mins
    Channel Vigour - as haste - 32 rounds

Last edited by DrK; 2021-09-13 at 05:51 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Having stowed away the decanter before the guard yelled out the danger, Lindon casts haste on the party and draws his bow as the group hurry up the tower. As they near their destination, he casts shield and displacement on himself.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2021-09-13 at 07:28 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Duadin’s short legs pump furiously and with his magically enhanced speed, he overtakes the guardsmen in front of him and bursts onto the tower rooftop, the rest of the party just behind him.

You see four huge demons, massively muscled humanoids with boar like faces and absurdly small wings that nevertheless let them fly. You don’t need your magically enhanced cognitive abilities to recognize them as Nalfeshees, a powerful greater demon. Two of them are aloft, rending apart the unfortunate guardsmen in their claws. Two are on the rooftop, blood dripping from their fangs and claws. They turn and smile at you. "More meat. Good."

Show
    Roll for Initiative
    Last edited by Steamed; 2021-09-14 at 09:45 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Duadin Initiative (1d20+4)[22]

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Lindon's Initiative: (1d20+15)[23]

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The giant demons are quicker than their bulk suggests but are still no match for your enhanced speed.

Nalfeshnee's (x4) Initiative: d20+0. 4, 7, 18, 1.
    Last edited by Steamed; 2021-09-14 at 09:53 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Duadin Ironskin

Duadin bursts out atop the tower top, the aura of holy power surrounding him and the hammer humming in his hands. Spying the 4 boar faced demons he rgowls, and gestures at the the others "Aye, Sekhmet, Lindon, we can clear these scum..." before he strides towards the nearest one, time seeming to stand still as he is hasted by his friend Lindon and swings the hammer with a terrific power at the nearest of the demons

Show

Swift: Quicken blessing, Duadin, Lindon and Sehkmet gain benefit of War blessing: Viciosu weapons (if they want), +4 to confirm criticals, floating +1 insight bonus on AC, saves or attacks
    Move action: Move to nearest demon (60ft move speed)
    Standard: Vital strike him (1d20+37)[55] OR (1d20+37)[43] (choose best); For (10d6+33)[71] Cold iron/Good/Lawful/Magic, Ignores 5DR (if any)
    - non lethal to Duadin (1d6)[4]
    - If get 17+ on the dice roll then crit confirm (1d20+41)[53] extra damage (4d6+66)[78] EDIT: Always good to start the battle with a critical hit!

hit +25 +1 haste, +2 bane +2 demon hunter +1 big game hunter +6 divine favour = +37
    dam +15 base +2 bane, +8 PA, +2 big game +6 divine favour = +33

Current AC 42 (38 base + 1 haste +2 GMvestment +1 war blessing)
    Current Saves 26 (20) /15 (14)/ 20 +4 Vs poison/spells, Immune Fatigue/Exhasution/Disease

Duadin Ironskin
    Condition

Reduce Fear 3/ day

Mythic Power 5/5
    Fervour 10/12
    Blessing 9/11

Spells Active
    Magic Circle vs Evil - 10ft radius +2 AC/saves vs Evil, immune compulsion - 160 mins
    Channel Vigour - +6 Fort Saves - 32 rounds
    Haste (From Lindon) - +1 AC, +30ft move, +1 to hit, +1 reflex saves
    Divine favour - +6 hit/dam luck bonus

War blessing: +1 insight to AC, Vicious weapon
    [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by DrK; 2021-09-15 at 06:07 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

"Wait for me, guys", Gracediana had been mediating during the meeting, that last battle took out some stamina. She notices them walking away as she wakes following them quietly. Her Charles follows behind her.

She turns toward the Nalfeshnee's and smiles, finally some fun.
    She waves her hands and summons forth an angelic being with smoothest skin you ever saw, a lean muscular body with large golden wings, and holding a heavy mace in one hand beside one of the Nalfeshnee. "Go destroy these fiends"
    The Deva swings her mace as hard as she can at them.

Spoiler
    Show

HP: 105; Unbuffed AC: 35; Touch: 22
    Saves: 11/19/13; Resist: Resist Acid/Cold/Elec 5 And Fire Resist (30 Helm); Regen 1 hp/ 10min (Pearly White Spindle)
    Defense: Minor Displacement (20% miss)

Charles:
    HP: 30; AC: 24 (4 Mage Armor); Touch: 12
    Saves: 6/17/1; Immune: Fire, sleep, poison

Used my Summon Monster ability so it is a standard action, SM 7, chose Monadic Deva (includes augment summon feat):
    Monadic Deva steps and turns to smacks one upside head, if one falls she attacks another.
    hit - (1d20+24)[38]
    hit - (1d20+19)[26]
    hit - (1d20+14)[15]

dam - (1d8+13)[19]
    dam - (1d8+13)[18]
    If both hit, deals extra 1d8+13 more

NG Medium outsider (angel, aquatic, extraplanar, good)
    Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft., detect evil, low-light vision; Perception +29
    Aura protective aura : Within 20 feet of the angel, everyone gets +4 deflection vs evil and +4 resist saves. Also a magic circle against evil effect and a lesser globe of invulnerability, both with a radius of 20 feet (Caster 14)
    AC 27, touch 14, flat-footed 23 (+4 Dex, +13 natural) (+4 deflection vs. evil)
    hp 175 (14d10+98)
    Fort +17, Ref +13, Will +10; +4 vs. poison; +4 resistance vs. evil
    DR 10/evil or DR/Epic; Immune acid, cold, electricity, fire, death effects, energy drain, petrification; SR 23
    Speed 40 ft., fly 90 ft. (good)
    Melee +3 morningstar +24/+19/+14 (1d8+13 plus solid blow if hit twice with same weapon deal damage as if hit again, 1d8+13 points)
    Spell-Like Abilities (CL 10th; concentration +14)

Constant–detect evil
    At will–aid, charm monster (DC 18, elementals only), discern lies (DC 18), dispel evil (DC 19), dispel magic, holy smite (DC 18), invisibility (self only), plane shift (DC 19), remove curse, remove disease, remove fear
    3/day–cure serious wounds, holy word (DC 21), mirror image
    1/day–heal, hold monster (DC 19), holy aura (DC 22)
    Str 25, Dex 19, Con 22, Int 19, Wis 18, Cha 19
    Base Atk +14; CMB +19; CMD 33
    Feats Alertness, Cleave, Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Power Attack -4 hit +8 dam, Toughness
    Skills Diplomacy +21, Fly +25, Intimidate +21, Knowledge (planes) +21, Knowledge (religion) +21, Perception +29, Sense Motive +25, Stealth +21, Survival +21, Swim +27;

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Duadin scores a mighty blow against the nearest nalfeshnee, staggering the much larger creature.
    The golden deva also strikes the same demon, scoring a hit but also missing once with its mace. It’s a decent blow but does much less damage than Daudin’s mighty hammer.