A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Ordlan Reach

"We don't necessarily have to release all of it. Severe conceding to us should be plenty to show that it was Union intervention that got it done and Galamax is just puffing themselves up with empty posturing. Though I suppose it would put a couple of you in a tricky position if Severe thought to release the whole unedited version..."

Hamza trails off, leaving those who perhaps said a bit to much a chance to think for themselves the position they've put themselves in.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

"Patching the message through now. Audio only." Stella replies.
    "This is research lead Marton of the Almoner Moth. On behalf of our station, I'd like to welcome you to the Reach." There's an awkward pause, as if the speaker doesn't know what to say next. "There's a rumor going around that you're planning to visit Nocturne. If that's true, I'd like to ask for a favor. We're perpetually in need of biological samples, but sending a scout mission is a risky proposition. If you could collect some samples while you're down there, that would be of great importance to our research. Thank you, and good luck." The transmission ends.
    "I've uploaded schematics for appropriate sample containers to your print libraries in case any of you are interested." Stella finishes.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #93

"I love SSC," says Hamza over the comms to the rest of the team, "And I'll be wearing an SSC hardsuit when we go on our mission. They combine style, luxury and elegance to produce the best mechs known to humankind. I'm pretty sure my ancestors even bought some designer genes off them that I've benefitted from in turn and I'm involved in some financial wrangling at the moment to get the license for my family's ancestral SSC Atlas. So I'm just putting it out there, SSC are great."

Hamza gives that a moment to sink in, anticipating with enjoyment the swerve he's about to make.

"However, here's the thing. We don't work for SSC and I've no idea why we'd go out of our way to help them out unless they can offer us something useful, either in terms of mechs or using their political power to help us out."

4. - Top - End - #94

"Stella, do you mind opening a channel to Almoner Moth for me? I want to get some actual information from Marton if we are going to be running errands for him." Jin radios as he is currently going over Echidna's nexus systems. He pulls out a handful of grey dust from one of the nexus pods and places some under a microscope. Seeing flecks of brown, rust, on the nanomachines he frowns and then empties each of the mech's nexus payloads into one of the bay's printers in order to deconstruct and reprint the tiny machines to be fit for combat. While the printer is busy with that, he goes over the systems of the mech proper to make sure nothing else has decayed during their long journey. "As much as I love my generous benefactors, I agree Hamza. Marton is going to need to tell me what he wants and how he's going to make this worth our time before we start tearing up the ecology of a planet willy nilly."
    Last edited by Hazrond; 2021-10-05 at 11:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousPepper View Post
    Easy. Be a Planar Shepherd.
    I, too, destroy beehives with nuclear weapons.
    Proponent of Rudisplorkery in the Rudisplorker Guild

Avatar by the ever so generous Grinner

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

The Cadet mulls it over while getting ready. "I have some equipment that might help, but we definitely should check what exactly they want from us." After a moment he continues, "If it's easy enough, it could serve as a nice way to build a reputation out here, even if the rewards are minimal."

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

"I am sure they will be glad to hear back from you." Stella opens a channel. "They maintain a publicly available database of nocturnian lifeforms, I can download it in the meantime."

The connection goes live. An aged, bespectacled man in a button down shirt appears a moment later.
    Spoiler: Portrait
    Show
    Erek Marton

"Lancers," He nods a polite greeting. "Thank you for contacting me. Mori, please have the camera drone follow me as I speak with them." "affirmative, doctor." He begins walking away, and a moment later the camera follows. "You got my message, I take it? Any quesitons?"

My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #97

"Hello Dr. Marton. I am Jin Aurelius, SSC Exotic Materials Division. The acquisitions of biological materials for study are possible, but we would need to know what we are looking for down there, and as this is a Union sponsored operation we would also need a suitable payment to justify the allotment of time being placed on your samples. Can you elaborate further on the details of this matter?" Jin says straightforwardly. To those very familiar with SSC terminology and corporate structure, the words "Exotic Materials Division" would likely raise eyebrows, but Jin was hopeful that Marton would take the hint.
    Last edited by Hazrond; 2021-10-10 at 02:20 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

"A pleasure. And those are good questions too. We don't have much in terms of material worth to pay you with. Most of what we trade in is research data. But as director here, I could possibly pull some strings if you're looking for licensing, and we do maintain a modest armory for defending our field teams on occasion. If I clear it with my superiors here, I could possibly get you provisional access. On the other hand, the exact task would be fairly non-defined. We're simply willing to compensate you for any samples you bring to us. Samples from larger, more dangerous creatures, especially ones not in the database, would be ideal. Things a less trained and equipped research team can't easily recover. Does that answer your question?" Dr. Marton waits for a reply.

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #99

"In part." Jin nods before continuing. "Are there any important deviations between your public and private databases? I don't imagine your research database is directly open to the public, but knowing the abilities of the creatures we will be dealing with down there will be important, especially when it comes to collecting your samples. It would also be useful to know which ones you have many samples for, and which you only have few, so that we can prioritize more valuable samples." Jin said as he began to work on Echidna's design, looking for a good place to work the storage containers for the samples into the mech's construction.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

"If its genetic material in particular, and the containers aren't massive, I should be able to get by with my current setup," Carmi notes. "Its designed for rock samples, but I can probably cut out biological ones without too much issue."

11. - Top - End - #101

"I'm out," says Hamza over the comms. "You all do you, but I don't feel like I'd really be getting anything from it and I wouldn't want to find out in ten years that SSC has used what we found for them to develop some bio weapon that killed thousands. No judgement though."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

The doctor shakes his head. "It's no harm to me if you don't help out. I just thought I'd ask. To answer the question, the private database is more up to date; usually it runs 2-3 expeditions ahead of the public one. It also goes further into depth on biochemistry and theoretical topics such as evolutionary biology. Lastly, if you're interested, I can have Mori send you a wish list, or more accurately, a do not wish list. We have only catalogued a very small portion of the total species on the planet."

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #103

"Apologies for my colleague, please have Mori share the up to date database, as well as the no wishlist, with me. I am sure I can provide some assistance. Have a good day Dr. Marton." Jin replies before closing the channel and confirming with Stella that it is closed.

Once he is certain Almoner Moth won't be listening in, he immediately rounds on Hamza over the lancer's personal comms. "If you have reservations that is fair Hamza and you needn't be involved with the matter. But Christ the Buddha can you wait until we are off an open comm channel with someone before you make accusations that egregious out loud? If that had been someone important you might have just painted a giant target on your back. You are lucky he took it so gracefully." Jin says angrily. "Insulting people to their face because you don't agree with them is an easy way to make enemies."

14. - Top - End - #104

"That was on the open channel?" Hamza smacks his forehead with one hand while he continues to peruse his slate with the other.

"Sorry, that was meant to go out on the internal comms, my bad. But really, a guy working for a weapons manufacturer can't really complain if people don't want to give him free stuff to help his weapon manufacturer company make weapons to kill people."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

"Please alert us early when the no wish list arrives, Stella." Once the channel is closed, he makes an upset noise in response to Hamza's confusion, but doesn't push the issue farther.

16. - Top - End - #106

"You've certainly got strong opinions on the matter, why?" Jin asks curiously as he continues work on Echidna with newly printed parts. "All five of the big corps make weapons by the thousands. SSC at least is primarily focused on the civilian marketplace. You act like we are talking about helping Harrison Armory or something."

17. - Top - End - #107

"Well I'm just going to put it out there that all arms manufacturing is at best a necessary evil and I wouldn't really want to help out GMS or ISP-N either, but it's not like SSC hasn't been involved in some shady ****. The Iluvian massacre, the gene theft scandal of 5007, the Autumn Twist orphanages and that's only the stuff that they got found out on."

Hamza lays back in his bunk, thinking for a few moments while he collects his thoughts to give a fuller answer though.

"Probably the biggest reason though is SSC deals in luxury, meaning the people who end up with their mechs tend to be the most privileged and untouchable in society. I grew up in Karrakin society. I've watched footage an under-baron and her house guard, all equipped with SSC frames, wipe out striking miners by the hundred. SSC frames are the best in the galaxy for my money so I will use SSC, but I don't want to be used by SSC. Does that make sense?"

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

"If I may," Stella interjects, "You should probably begin planning for deployment soon. Using the information given to us by the Marauders, I've marked out two possible landing sites for the dropship, and I'd like your input on which to use." She sends over a topographical map. "The scouts' camp was here, on this high ground within the valley. However the surrounding terrain is too rough to land safely. There is a suitable site here, on the other side of this mountain pass, and another here, but there's a swamp between the landing site and the camp."

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #109

Hamza pulls up the details on his slate, perusing the options presented.

"Swamp versus mountains? I'd go with mountains, at least you can see when the megafauna is coming to get you and yes, I do fully realise I've jinxed us and we're going to get eaten by subterranean burrowing aliens if we go the mountain route."

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

"I second the mountain pass; at the very least I'd rather be on solid ground with a good defensive position, for an emergency"

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

"Mountains it is." Stella confirms. "If you could finalize your mech configurations and send them to the print bay, I can load them into the dropship by the time you've gotten your gear together."

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sure thing," the Cadet doesn't have too much packing to do, but does question his backup communications equipment. "Just add some of the equipment for sample collection in the extra space in the back of my Everest."