New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Zodi Streams: Evoland 1 and 2 (Dubious RPG History Power Hour)

Due to various reasons, I've switching to streaming over recording and editing bespoke videos. I'll be linking to the start of each new stream'd playthrough for conveniance here, and once this thread has run its course we'll make a more professional link-nook and so on and so forth.

Majora's Mask (just keep scrollin')

EVOLAND 1 and 2

======

And so we find ourselves here, at Majora's Mask. This Zelda retrospective like thing I'm doing has lead us down one many a road so far. Most of it fairly bumpy, as the DS tries so hard to provide the proper base for a Zelda game. But here, we return to something a bit smoother; another remake of an old N64 game, enhanced and for the better in almost every way. Which, ironically, is kind of what Majora's Mask has always been. Ocarina of Time+, Ocarina of Time Hard Mode DLC, so on and so forth. Majora's Mask took the excellent Ocarina, took what it had, and remixed it into something brilliant. Today we're going to begin out journey with Majora's Mask, stepping into the land of Termina and seeing what sights we will see.

As ever and always, updates are on Monday and Friday (as often as I can I've allowed myself some slipping as of late due to my life getting complicated for the better) and I would appreciate no spoilers for those who do not know what is to come. Which is unlikely to be anyone really, but better safe than sorry. So, without further adieu... let us begin.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask [1] Curses and Calamities

Video Length: 1:08:16

Extra long episode, because the texture of Majora's Mask's opening sort of necessitates completion, in my opinion. And as far as Zelda games go, it starts rather quickly, but also takes quite awhile to get going. The Skullkid curses us to be a Deku, and that locks us in Clocktown quite handily, as well as limits a lot of what we can do! It serves as a pretty good basic tutorial of How This Game Will Work, while not feeling quite so stifling as to be annoying.

The only real issue with it is that, even if you're acting as though you don't know exactly waht to do, it is quite easy to find yourself finished and ready to go to the first final confrontation with the Skullkid... and have maybe a day and a half left. Thankfully you do get shown the Scarecrow during all this so there are ways to skip ahead quickly, but it is entirely possible to not talk to the guy. It does mean there is a lot of waiting around in this first three days, and since it's hard to get money and so many stores don't serve Deku children, it means that your options are also fairly limited as it pertains to time passing. It tightens up this tutorial intro segment to make it harder to fail, but likewise makes sudden and powerful success all the more "... well what next?".

But I think, ultimately, this is a good thing. It encourages those who wish to engage with the game to engage with it on a different way than typically expected. Namely, just kinda wandering around and seeing stuff happen as they happen. Majora's Mask is a very schedule focused game and that can lead to some fun things happening depending on where you are. Happenstance can lead to unique gameplay experiences that I quite like (we got an example of that in this video, actually!). It also makes the looming threat of the Moon all the more palpable... after a certain point all you can do is wait and watch the big boy come down, closer and closer... with not a lot you can do about it but wait. It's intimidating.

With that said, I hope you all enjoyed. Future videos will be shorter, by virtue of me not feeling it necessary for the flow of things to include it all, among other things. See you all next... time.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2023-12-08 at 12:02 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask (The Five Stages of Zelda-Game)

Hello Zodi! Welcome back to Termina! *puts Majora's Mask on Zodi*

This game is a classic for a reason. Its certainly unusual if not unique in its groundshog day premise, though I've never finished it myself, though I've watched my brother do so.

Day One, 71 Hours Remain: Loop 1: Welcome to Termina!
    Yeah, too bad he never finds Navi in all this.....

Y'know, ironically I think I saw Majora's Mask before Ocarina of Time, so to me this skull kid is the one I know first.

yes give back the horse! and the magical flute that kinda-sorta prays to the goddesses of time!

Yes, it is partly horror. don't think I realized that when I was young.

....and then he finds Tatl instead, I bet this is real sad for him, because Tatl would totally remind Link of Navi, so her being there is kind of sad because its like, he probably doesn't want to replace Navi or anything but now he must do all this with Tatl for reasons.

I remember the original game having only 3 hops, this game has 5 so yes they did give you more hops.

ah yes, Masks Salesman's theme. one of my more liked pieces of music in this game. its just the right blend of strange and attention grabbing yet chill to fit my style

OH NO! MARIO GOT TRAPPED IN A MASK! I knew his use of Cappy was going too far.....

those balls are traveling WAY too slowly through the air to be physically possible. Are these jugglers.....magic? oh god they're the like the twins from the Shining except with juggling, the horror is already happening.

As a proud Nord of Skyrim I look upon these literal milk-drinkers!

ah Zodi, there is this point in the video's footage where for some reason after the password is gotten wrong the first time, it skips to Deku-link failing to climb the slide and chasing the mailman then repeating that over again once more while the audio is normal, just thought I'd let you know in case you didn't.

always a pleasure to see the great fairies again. hooray! we have become a squirtle.

The dog teamed up with you to defeat the greater threat: stupid brat, then immediately turned on you, the truce having ended.

honestly, I think the extra time is so that you can retry catching the Bomber kids if you fail the first time, because like you just experienced, sometimes you have to do it all over again because you don't know where they are, which is the hardest part of this beginning

Yeah, the Bomber kid code changes each playthrough if I remember, so you can't just sequence break unless your incredibly lucky.

that cage for the cucco is too flimsy a jail for its species.....I'm watching you chicken!

you shoulda danced with the scarecrow more.....

battle with dog to pass time, the fight against him will be epic!

Zodi, don't get emotionally invested, I think the Deku-hate is just there because the Dekus aren't programmed to do any of these things these shops do, so they have to have a reason to deny you. while the dog....well your a tree, but you move, so the dog is probably confused as to the why the tree is moving.

well....you spent your money wisely on a bomb bag, so just remember you made the right investment rather than blowing it all on some stupid lovers shooting gallery game.

In-TRI-cate Zodi, Intricate. was putting the R in the wrong place.

who is firing off these fireworks?

hey now....Skull Kid isn't a nerd, he is a prankster, thats kind of the opposite of nerd Zodi. one causes trouble, the other is smart and supposedly got bullied by jocks at some point. I don't think Skull Kid qualifies as the latter.

and now we play the iconic song of perhaps this entire franchise......THE SONG OF TIME!

back to first day. and now....the real game begins.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-08-20 at 03:12 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask (The Five Stages of Zelda-Game)

I had originally missed on this game when it first came out. I didn't really see the value in the 'booster pack, which meant I couldn't play it on the original hardware. I got a chance to play it when I picked up the Zelda 25th anniversary Gamecube bundle that included Z1, Z2 (but not LTTP >.>), OoT, MM, and a playable demo for Windwaker.

My initial response was... mixed. The idea was interesting, Zelda meets Groundhog Day. The implementation, at times, was kind of iffy. The graphics were nightmare fuel, especially some of the mask transitions (Goron mask transition in particular). I wouldn't call it the best offering in the series, but neither would I call it the worst. I beat the game, and even 100% it, but I was honestly more interested in the Z1 and Z2 emulators than this game on the disk.

But probably the best thing about this is that I get to see someone else's take on the game, someone else's perspective, and perhaps discover something special about the game that I had missed in my experience. That's why I appreciate you doing this, Zodi. You're an awesome content creator who has an interesting perspective that differs from my own. You helped me see the enjoyment of several games I had previously dismissed. I respect and appreciate that. Thank you.

As I've actually beaten this game before, I'll probably be more active in this thread than some of your previous LP's with games I was totally unfamiliar with, but I'll try to be respectful about not backseating and try to keep spoiler content in spoiler tags.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Well... I've never played this game, nor really seen it played. In fact, I've deliberately avoided seeing people talk about it until this series got to it. I know a little bit of stuff about the game (from stuff like Nintendo Power, and general osmosis), but the details are... iffy. So this'll be an experience!

Well, this game sure is starting you off with "THIS IS DIFFERENT".

It sounded like from lines that Tayle was Tatl's brother, not two sisters.

"Why are people so rude to Dekus???" she asks, as she smashes pottery.

But, yeah. I'm going in essentially-blind, so I'm excited to discover things as they come in-game!
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

5. - Top - End - #5

The reason people are rude t Dekus is becuase they don't have Quirks, you should know that Zodi.

Alternatively, becuase you're just a scrub. You haven't gotten gud yet.

So I'm only vaguely aware of Majora's mask... But I'm very aware of Ben Drowned.

I had forgotten that "You've Met with a Terrible Fate" was an original line from the source material and almost had a god damned heart attack.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    ah Zodi, there is this point in the video's footage where for some reason after the password is gotten wrong the first time, it skips to Deku-link failing to climb the slide and chasing the mailman then repeating that over again once more while the audio is normal, just thought I'd let you know in case you didn't.

who is firing off these fireworks?
    How... very strange.

From what I've heard from my American friends, no one will ever not set off fire works if given an opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    But probably the best thing about this is that I get to see someone else's take on the game, someone else's perspective, and perhaps discover something special about the game that I had missed in my experience. That's why I appreciate you doing this, Zodi. You're an awesome content creator who has an interesting perspective that differs from my own. You helped me see the enjoyment of several games I had previously dismissed. I respect and appreciate that. Thank you.

As I've actually beaten this game before, I'll probably be more active in this thread than some of your previous LP's with games I was totally unfamiliar with, but I'll try to be respectful about not backseating and try to keep spoiler content in spoiler tags.
    Oh gosh, thanks a lot! I'm glad you're excited to see it, and I hope I can bring something unique to the table here.

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Well... I've never played this game, nor really seen it played. In fact, I've deliberately avoided seeing people talk about it until this series got to it. I know a little bit of stuff about the game (from stuff like Nintendo Power, and general osmosis), but the details are... iffy. So this'll be an experience!

It sounded like from lines that Tayle was Tatl's brother, not two sisters.

But, yeah. I'm going in essentially-blind, so I'm excited to discover things as they come in-game!
    That's also really a kind thing to say! I hope you enjoy!

Yeah that's a misspeak on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    The reason people are rude t Dekus is becuase they don't have Quirks, you should know that Zodi.

Alternatively, becuase you're just a scrub. You haven't gotten gud yet.

So I'm only vaguely aware of Majora's mask... But I'm very aware of Ben Drowned.

I had forgotten that "You've Met with a Terrible Fate" was an original line from the source material and almost had a god damned heart attack.
    Okay, good joke there.

I have zero experience with internet creepy pasta stuff, so Neat. Funny how these things happen

7. - Top - End - #7

Another thing I've noticed, in general, is that the protagonists of these puzzle/platformer games would be... Overpowered as all hell in a superhero comic book.

Raz would have Omega Level psychics calling bullcrap on the breadth of his powers and ease at mastering new ones, Sly makes various "cat burglar" type characters look like scrubs, and this specific Link even in just this game is an entire team to himself...
    Spoiler: Courtesty spoiler
    Show
    Literally, considering the three main masks are made of souls.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-08-13 at 05:23 PM.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, they're flexible but....videogame characters tend to be very low powered. the only supers who would care would be low level supers who do the day to day street crime stuff, and even then all three of videogame protags would be nothing compared to the ridiculousness that is Batman. supers who go around fighting planetary monstrosities? only videogame characters they care about is Kirby and Asura.

But even then more thematic and narrow supers have their own nonsense in that they tend to use their powers with a surprising amount of creativity to stretch them as far as they can go. I bet you Spiderman has found so many uses for his webbing that its basically a budget green lantern ring.

As for Majora's Mask being a proto-DLC, I can see that but I'm glad it was made before DLC's honestly. DLC's tend to be smaller, be a side story and thus be a bit compressed, but Majora's Mask has its own story, gets to breathe and be its own thing without being too attached to Ocarina of Time. But Majora's Mask was my introduction to LoZ I think.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Zodi's Forms (1)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post

And so we find ourselves here, at Majora's Mask. This Zelda retrospective like thing I'm doing has lead us down one many a road so far. Most of it fairly bumpy, as the DS tries so hard to provide the proper base for a Zelda game. But here, we return to something a bit smoother; another remake of an old N64 game, enhanced and for the better in almost every way. Which, ironically, is kind of what Majora's Mask has always been. Ocarina of Time+, Ocarina of Time Hard Mode DLC, so on and so forth. Majora's Mask took the excellent Ocarina, took what it had, and remixed it into something brilliant. Today we're going to begin out journey with Majora's Mask, stepping into the land of Termina and seeing what sights we will see.

As ever and always, updates are on Monday and Friday (as often as I can I've allowed myself some slipping as of late due to my life getting complicated for the better) and I would appreciate no spoilers for those who do not know what is to come. Which is unlikely to be anyone really, but better safe than sorry. So, without further adieu... let us begin.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask [1] Curses and Calamities

Video Length: 1:08:16

Extra long episode, because the texture of Majora's Mask's opening sort of necessitates completion, in my opinion. And as far as Zelda games go, it starts rather quickly, but also takes quite awhile to get going. The Skullkid curses us to be a Deku, and that locks us in Clocktown quite handily, as well as limits a lot of what we can do! It serves as a pretty good basic tutorial of How This Game Will Work, while not feeling quite so stifling as to be annoying.

The only real issue with it is that, even if you're acting as though you don't know exactly waht to do, it is quite easy to find yourself finished and ready to go to the first final confrontation with the Skullkid... and have maybe a day and a half left. Thankfully you do get shown the Scarecrow during all this so there are ways to skip ahead quickly, but it is entirely possible to not talk to the guy. It does mean there is a lot of waiting around in this first three days, and since it's hard to get money and so many stores don't serve Deku children, it means that your options are also fairly limited as it pertains to time passing. It tightens up this tutorial intro segment to make it harder to fail, but likewise makes sudden and powerful success all the more "... well what next?".

But I think, ultimately, this is a good thing. It encourages those who wish to engage with the game to engage with it on a different way than typically expected. Namely, just kinda wandering around and seeing stuff happen as they happen. Majora's Mask is a very schedule focused game and that can lead to some fun things happening depending on where you are. Happenstance can lead to unique gameplay experiences that I quite like (we got an example of that in this video, actually!). It also makes the looming threat of the Moon all the more palpable... after a certain point all you can do is wait and watch the big boy come down, closer and closer... with not a lot you can do about it but wait. It's intimidating.

With that said, I hope you all enjoyed. Future videos will be shorter, by virtue of me not feeling it necessary for the flow of things to include it all, among other things. See you all next... time.

How the heck does skull kid blow that ocarina through the mask, is a question I've always mused.

As you've pointed out, I am satisfied by rupee getting, however as you also mentioned to me, you missed one. D:

Mad Deku Scrubs are mad. Turn Link into Sad Duku Scrub. I also really like the Tattle Tail pun between the two fairies.

Zelda satisfying sound SMR list: Tatl chime, torch base spin pummel. To be continued...

There are many theories about that deku stump. Many think that its the dead form of the Deku Mask that link is currently wearing, but nothing in game ever confirms it. There are some hints.

One thing that changed for hopping is this one has worse hopping. You need momentum with a spin to have the hopping momentum, whereas in the original it gives you the speed automatically. They really nerfed it and it killed me more times than I care to admit when playing the remake, haha. Graphics wise, notebook wise and saving wise, I love the remake. But there's some things they tweaked needlessly. Bank is also moved in the remake, which I'm fine with. I'll mention other things that are different as we encounter them, I've mainly played the original (though I have 100%'d this game).

We in this episode have seen two masks that I personally own: Majora's Mask and Keaton's Mask. We'll learn about Keaton's later, but it is indeed a cool mask!

Okay, the kids are hiding in different spots, in the original, there wasn't one in south clocktown. Instead he's hiding in one of the boxes in east clock town. The other one IS in the washing pool, but not usually under a box. I also like that every unique playthrough is a different random combination.

First Kill! It says Skulltula, but that's definitely a Big Skulltula. The kid's hideout is really great with the things they added like the drawings of things. The old man is depicted in a drawing by the scarecrow on a little sheet of paper.

The mayor has long hours. 10am to 8pm is 10 hour days....

The bomb shop has rocket launch models in it on one of the walls, which is pretty funnny. Not EVERY character has a cow statue. Only a specific number. > . >

One thing that's fun about the last day is that the music is faster than usual, almost a manic rhythm. Ah, you mention it, yeah I love that detail. :D

Ah yes, hamfisting Zelda into the game so it can still be the Legend of Zelda. Lmao. The only problem I tend to have with the button mapping for the ocarina is i'm so used to the C buttons! I therefore always have trouble with the new buttons...

EPISODE 1 KILL TALLY!

Big Skulltula - 1

Style Points - 0

Missed Rupees - 1

Majora's Mask
    Total Kills
    (As of Episode 1)

Skulltula, Big - 1

Total Things Dead - 1

1st Place - TBD
    2nd Place - TBD
    3rd Place - TBD

Total Style Points - 0

Total Missed Rupees - 1
    Total Lost Rupees - 0
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

10. - Top - End - #10

I did some research: The Manga adaption and the Hyrule Historia confirmed that the "Sad Tree" are the mortal remains of the Deku whose soul was merged with Link to turn Link into a Deku Scrub.

Skull Kid just up and murdered him becuase he wanted to screw with Link by turning him into a Deku.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also, in-game yourself, if you have the Mask of Scents the Deku Buttler will comment that you remind him an awful lot of his lost son, and after the credits is shown mourning over the stump.

And apparently, the Dogs don't hate Deku Scrubs... They hate the Deku Butler's son and they can't tell the difference between you and him because, technically, you are him, or rather, he is part of you right now.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

So if Zodi loses rupees from time warping without depositing them first, would those count as missed rupees, or should we have a separate counter for those?
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

So if Zodi loses rupees from time warping without depositing them first, would those count as missed rupees, or should we have a separate counter for those?
    I contest that rupees that get lost when time travel happens should take away from what I've gained and go to lost, but if that is too much trouble put them in the time void.

Also y'all are really excited to talk about a thing I was gonna wait to discuss arntcha

13. - Top - End - #13

I contest that rupees that get lost when time travel happens should take away from what I've gained and go to lost, but if that is too much trouble put them in the time void.

Also y'all are really excited to talk about a thing I was gonna wait to discuss arntcha
    In my defense, someone else brought it up first.

Unrelated: I went back and read your thread from your first Pcyhonauts let's play becuase... You got me hooked on it and I'm excited for the sequel later this month.

A few days ago the devs posted video on youtube talking about the powers... And it seems like lot of the powers you commented on as being useless have gotten a utility upgrade. (Notably, you're actually shown using the "use levitation to go over dangerous terrain" feature that was barely relevant in the first game.)

Gonna try and go back and watch those videos a little later.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #14

In my defense, someone else brought it up first.

Unrelated: I went back and read your thread from your first Pcyhonauts let's play becuase... You got me hooked on it and I'm excited for the sequel later this month.

A few days ago the devs posted video on youtube talking about the powers... And it seems like lot of the powers you commented on as being useless have gotten a utility upgrade. (Notably, you're actually shown using the "use levitation to go over dangerous terrain" feature that was barely relevant in the first game.)

Gonna try and go back and watch those videos a little later.
    Oh don't worry I was callin' you or anyone out, just observing how excited people are. And ooh, that's fascinating and pretty cool!

Also; Skyward Swordpants time!

Zodi Streams: Skyward Sword HD [1] Skyward Swordpants

Video Length: 3:40:37

In this one... we experience pain as I have to deal with controller drift on a game that REALLY does not want you to have controller drift. But we beat the first dungeon, so that's good!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Having to play both of these Zelda games....yeah I don't envy you right now Zodi, that could get pretty confusing and tiring. especially with Skyward Sword having motion controls so despite the same universe, the skills of one don't translate to the other, where normally if you play two games in the same franchise the controls are generally the same to make sure people can pick it up like riding a bike.

Also I didn't say anything on stream but I as your friend Zodi, I politely disagree with the assertion that Borderlands are bad games, I personally find them fun. if you don't oh well. guess I just like the combination of shooter and rpg stuff more as I get to customize my character's shooting abilities.

16. - Top - End - #16

I can't help but be amused that your first thought upon seeing a harp was to imagine using it as a weapon.

So, as a total Zelda Scrub whose knows consists of casual, wiki walks, stuff from the first three Smash Bro's games various re snippets, these last two videos, and a speed run of Link To The Past that was using the orignal Japanese text.

My understanding is that Skyward Sword is the chronologically first game in the timeline and establishes the Origin of the Triforce and the cycle of reincarnation wherein there's always a Link, a Zelda, and a Ganon(dorf)

(I also understand that the timeline splits in three around the time of Ocarina of Time)

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #17

Having to play both of these Zelda games....yeah I don't envy you right now Zodi, that could get pretty confusing and tiring. especially with Skyward Sword having motion controls so despite the same universe, the skills of one don't translate to the other, where normally if you play two games in the same franchise the controls are generally the same to make sure people can pick it up like riding a bike.

Also I didn't say anything on stream but I as your friend Zodi, I politely disagree with the assertion that Borderlands are bad games, I personally find them fun. if you don't oh well. guess I just like the combination of shooter and rpg stuff more as I get to customize my character's shooting abilities.
    I enjoyed playing Borderlands 2 solo, and playing them with friends can be fun. I think I was just being... hyperbolic.

I can't help but be amused that your first thought upon seeing a harp was to imagine using it as a weapon.

So, as a total Zelda Scrub whose knows consists of casual, wiki walks, stuff from the first three Smash Bro's games various re snippets, these last two videos, and a speed run of Link To The Past that was using the orignal Japanese text.

My understanding is that Skyward Sword is the chronologically first game in the timeline and establishes the Origin of the Triforce and the cycle of reincarnation wherein there's always a Link, a Zelda, and a Ganon(dorf)

(I also understand that the timeline splits in three around the time of Ocarina of Time)
    This is correct on all counts.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, Skyward Sword is chronologically the first. a full explanation would take too long, but basically from one the many "zelda timeline charts" I found from googling them basically breaks its down like this:
    Spoiler: Zelda timeline Chart
    Show

Though I'm pretty sure they've said that Breath of the Wild takes place AFTER all three timelines for some reason so somehow they got converged I think? its really weird, but basically, the three timelines is one where Link is defeated, two where Link is successful but the different timelines depend on which Era: Child Era goes back in time and successfully prevents Ganon's return but Navi leaves, thus prompting Link to search for her and stumble onto Majora's Mask. While the Adult Era is one the timeline left behind where Ganondorf did return but Link from seven years in the past defeated him then left to go back to his own time.....thus allowing Ganondorf to one day return in that timeline and lead to the events of Windwaker. while Defeat Timeline is basically there to explain why most of the earlier 2D games happened.

19. - Top - End - #19

Please note that chart is fan-made and not the canon one; it has additions and assumptions on it, like Hyrule Warriors (which is explicitly outside of time by it's own text) and includes things like the Satellaview and side stuff that is overtly and obviously not canon.

There is no official status of where Breath of the Wild is, with the only real evidence we have being inherently and intentionally contradictory- it is basically implied that it is a convergence but otherwise isn't... actually confirmed at all.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2021-08-15 at 12:46 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Okay, that's about what I understood to be the case.

I also understand that Ruto is best girl and that that the cycle of reincarnation ins't 100% literal: It's always the same Gannon, but it's not always the same Link or Zelda—IIRC OoT/MM Link's ghost is a boss fight in Twilight Princess.

Spoiler
    Show
    And based on my reading up on Majora's Mask... I am about 80% sure that the "Fierce Deity" is Link's own counterpart from Terminia.

I mean, you put it on and it turns you into a bigger, stronger Link. Seems pretty obvious.

Termina is defined by being full of counterparts of people from Hyrule who are altered in some way.

What better a counterpart for a reincarnating eternal hero than a fearsome guardian deity?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

This is why I have a separate tracker for missed and lost rupees. Missed are rupees you never pick up, lost are rupees you get and then somehow loose without regaining. Typically in the past this has been theft, but I never thought about time theft! Fortunately, Zodi does a good job of depositing prior to going back in time, so this will likely never come up, right?

And my bad, I tried to be vague on purpose on the thing. But then I added more to the end, oops.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, that's about what I understood to be the case.

I also understand that Ruto is best girl and that that the cycle of reincarnation ins't 100% literal: It's always the same Gannon, but it's not always the same Link or Zelda—IIRC OoT/MM Link's ghost is a boss fight in Twilight Princess.

Spoiler
    Show
    And based on my reading up on Majora's Mask... I am about 80% sure that the "Fierce Deity" is Link's own counterpart from Terminia.

I mean, you put it on and it turns you into a bigger, stronger Link. Seems pretty obvious.

Termina is defined by being full of counterparts of people from Hyrule who are altered in some way.

What better a counterpart for a reincarnating eternal hero than a fearsome guardian deity?
    To the best of my understanding:

Spoiler
    Show
    Ganon is and always will be the influence of Demise, the demon who invaded the reality which Hyrule is a part of after its creation. When he was defeated, he opted to spin it out, and cursed Zelda and the original Link to continue playing their fight out over and over.

For Zelda, this means the royal bloodline, which will occasionally reincarnate Zelda as a new daughter and scion of that family lineage.

For Link, however, it is more complex. Rather than a direct reincarnation (the Hero's Remains isn't a boss fight so much as... another mechanic in Twilight Princess. Not going to spoil it), it seeks someone 'worthy' to take up the Hero's Sword and take on the mantle of the Champion. It is less of a direct reincarnation and more like a typical Chosen One trope. Of course, once you are Chosen, even though you still have to prove yourself 'worthy', you aren't really permitted to give up. At one point, the save and continue mechanic of the game was literally the canon power of the Triforce to let Link Groundhog's Day his way through his trials. Death was not permitted to be release for him. Obviously, that got retconned if we have a 'fallen hero' timeline, since the two are mutually exclusive.

Then again, I believe my opinion of the 'official' timeline is well known and established at this point, so I won't continue beating the dead horse.

Hope that helps clear things up for you.

Zodi has already done a Let's Play of Skyward Sword, as well as several other Zelda titles in the series. If you are curious, you can go back and watch them.
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2021-08-15 at 09:45 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Skyward Sword Zelda reminds me of Kairi from the manga adaption of Kingdom Hearts.

Manga makes her a more proactive character. Also makes her incredibly reckless and noticibly thirsty.

That's the vibe I get from Zelda here.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-08-15 at 03:48 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #24

Once more, mask time!

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask [2] When We're Hylian

Video Length: 35:09

In this episode, we finally get our face healed, and begin our winding path through the world. Short description since I suddenly have to go as I am writing this, will say more later.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, the notebook's a neat thing. That's super nice to have in game. I'm especially glad for the added notes, rather than just schedules.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what does and doesn't stay. The rupees, no, the items, yes... and I couldn't tell if the stray fairy was?

...okay, yeah, those maps look super helpful, too.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, so many quality of life updates in this version. Would've made my playthrough a much better experience.

When I first got the Great Fairy Mask, I thought it would be pretty trivial to rescue all the temple fairies. Boy howdy was I wrong. Gonna spoiler tag why.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, the mask lights up when there's a fairy in the room you are in. Even if that room is multiple stories tall. You know how in OoT you had a central huge room that everything spun off from? Yea, that's gonna be a continued trend, and obviously there's a lot of real estate to hide fairies in such a large space. The other thing, drawing fairies to you... yea, none of the fairies (except maybe the first couple in the first temple as a tutorial?) are 'free range' to be drawn to you. So it's not as easy as just walking into a room with the mask on and letting them come to you. They're going to be trapped, and you're going to need to free them. Some are trapped in bubbles that need to be popped, some are in chests, some are... well, the list goes on. Suffice to say, you have to free them before you can rescue them. And that can get... pretty complicated.

FYI, the fairy in town at night is over by the Deku Bush by the Inn. You pop into the bush as a Deku, then pop up to collect it.

In the original, the scene didn't end with the first hit on the bomb thief, he still ran around until he left, which left me confused on how to stop him. I didn't realize the first hit solved the 'puzzle'.

For the Scarecrow Song, I used Beethoven's 5th intro. You know... duh-duh-duh-DUUUH duh-duh-duh-DUUUUH. It's simple, easy to remember, and easy to perform.

We'll... get into the dancing mask quest when you finish it.

As you said, in the original game, you get the book once you enter the hideout by giving the code without interacting with any of the bombers on that cycle. When you come back out, they're impressed you guessed their code on the first try, and want such an awesome guy to join their club, giving you the book. Given that it won't track anything until *after* you get the book, this can make a couple of things awkward if you don't immediately beeline for it, which can put other things off.

I don't remember if the Scarecrow told you about the inverse song of time or not in the vanilla, but it's SUPER useful trying to get everything done in one cycle, especially if you're doing some of the more obnoxious quests or trying to dive a temple.

The Deku transformation is creepy, but is by no means the worst transformation. Stay tuned, kids.

Bombchus are... ugh, clever idea, abysmal execution. I don't think they've ever been executed well in the entire series. The closest to a good implementation was bomb bowling from Skyward Sword. But good on ya for being able to beat those minigames!

This game leans heavily on 'you use your curse to your advantage when and where you see fit', a motif that is revisited in Twilight Princess. It's an oddly hopeful message of leveraging what you feel is a disadvantage or disabling condition to achieve something most people can't. Given that I was going through chemotherapy when I got the GC and the Zelda Bundle with this title, I really found this message heartening.

You'll notice that most of the assets in this game are reused from OoT. There are some new assets, but enough are reused, and so early in the game, that it gave the game a very 'we threw this together as a cash grab' vibe, at least to me. It wasn't until later that I was informed how short the development time was on the game. Which doesn't excuse lazy programming, but does at least explain it. They didn't have much choice if they were going to hit the deadline. So that's more of a corporate blunder than a developer being lazy.

Anyway, I've rambled on enough. Can't wait to see the next episode!
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

By the way Zodi, I went back and finished watching your original Psychonauts videos.

In one episode you make a comment about the term "firestart" and that it seems weird to you, wondering if it's a local dialect?

You've probably learned this since then, but just in case: It's probably a reference to Firestarter.

A Stephen King Novel about a little girl who can start fires by thinking about it(among other psychic powers) and the Government's attempts to capture her for study and use as a weapon. Was also made into a movie in the 84.

It's notable for popularizing the term "pyrokinesis," and little Charlie's powers are very similar to how Pyrokinesis is depicted in the Psychonauts series: Focus on the object and it bursts into flames and is rapidly destroyed despite no apparent source of fuel and no reason for the fire to burn that hot.

This Time: I was gonna say this last time, but I am reasonably certain that the Great Fairy is just floating there naked.

Like, last time you mentioned realizing that she wasn't wearing boots, she's just got footlike feat, but... I don't think she's wearing clothes. I think she just has vines and leaves as part of her body.

This game would be rated a lot higher than E10 if she was positioned differently.

"The future is everywhere" is a thing in general. We all carry around portable supercomputers that can wirelessly interface with the internet, the future is now.

"Wear a missing person's face to find them" is... Certainly a take.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Day One: 70.5 Hours Remain: Loop 2: Now with 43% more Hylian!
    Suddenly: PIANO!

I like the beat and cut to shaking Link there. the comedy and drama of the situation mixes quite well. we're dealing with some cursed stuff here.

Yeah I mask transitions when you don't skip them, I remember them being longer and with more sounds to hammer in that Link is screaming and doubling over in pain each time you do this in the original version.

oh no its Tingle. why does he exist? just to make us suffer?

that is a change, the Song of Time having variations to further manipulate time is indeed useful, and the speed up one used to only jump you forward, not go to specific whens.

.....cucco.....*shudders*

those councilmen are just straight up idiots honestly. who doesn't notice the Moon having a FACE and getting CLOSER TO THE EARTH? See!? Even the jugglers see it, and they're too busy looking at each other!

ah, echoes of song of storms....always nice to listen to.

Yes, the dance has been acquired. behold its movements. they're like a snake, a mysterious friendly snake with a swaying rhythm.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Oh, the notebook's a neat thing. That's super nice to have in game. I'm especially glad for the added notes, rather than just schedules.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what does and doesn't stay. The rupees, no, the items, yes... and I couldn't tell if the stray fairy was?

...okay, yeah, those maps look super helpful, too.
    Great Fairies re-die when you restart a loop.

For the Scarecrow Song, I used Beethoven's 5th intro. You know... duh-duh-duh-DUUUH duh-duh-duh-DUUUUH. It's simple, easy to remember, and easy to perform.

We'll... get into the dancing mask quest when you finish it.

As you said, in the original game, you get the book once you enter the hideout by giving the code without interacting with any of the bombers on that cycle. When you come back out, they're impressed you guessed their code on the first try, and want such an awesome guy to join their club, giving you the book. Given that it won't track anything until *after* you get the book, this can make a couple of things awkward if you don't immediately beeline for it, which can put other things off.

I don't remember if the Scarecrow told you about the inverse song of time or not in the vanilla, but it's SUPER useful trying to get everything done in one cycle, especially if you're doing some of the more obnoxious quests or trying to dive a temple.

The Deku transformation is creepy, but is by no means the worst transformation. Stay tuned, kids.

Bombchus are... ugh, clever idea, abysmal execution. I don't think they've ever been executed well in the entire series. The closest to a good implementation was bomb bowling from Skyward Sword. But good on ya for being able to beat those minigames!

This game leans heavily on 'you use your curse to your advantage when and where you see fit', a motif that is revisited in Twilight Princess. It's an oddly hopeful message of leveraging what you feel is a disadvantage or disabling condition to achieve something most people can't. Given that I was going through chemotherapy when I got the GC and the Zelda Bundle with this title, I really found this message heartening.
    I'm not musically intelligent enough to translate that into the Ocarina. If you could advise that'd be swell. And he does tell you about it in the original!

Bombchu's are great in Spirit Tracks/Phantom Hourglass, whichever one of those had'em.

Hell yeah! I love stuff like that too.

By the way Zodi, I went back and finished watching your original Psychonauts videos.

In one episode you make a comment about the term "firestart" and that it seems weird to you, wondering if it's a local dialect?

You've probably learned this since then, but just in case: It's probably a reference to Firestarter.

A Stephen King Novel about a little girl who can start fires by thinking about it(among other psychic powers) and the Government's attempts to capture her for study and use as a weapon. Was also made into a movie in the 84.

It's notable for popularizing the term "pyrokinesis," and little Charlie's powers are very similar to how Pyrokinesis is depicted in the Psychonauts series: Focus on the object and it bursts into flames and is rapidly destroyed despite no apparent source of fuel and no reason for the fire to burn that hot.

This Time: I was gonna say this last time, but I am reasonably certain that the Great Fairy is just floating there naked.

Like, last time you mentioned realizing that she wasn't wearing boots, she's just got footlike feat, but... I don't think she's wearing clothes. I think she just has vines and leaves as part of her body.

This game would be rated a lot higher than E10 if she was positioned differently.

"The future is everywhere" is a thing in general. We all carry around portable supercomputers that can wirelessly interface with the internet, the future is now.

"Wear a missing person's face to find them" is... Certainly a take.
    I legitimately do not remember finding that term weird at all. Huh.

Hey, she's got like... vines and stuff. That is technically clothing. I thought she just also had weird powerful lady boots as well.

You mean like Ocarina, which is WAY more... elaborate, with how it shows off all the various angles and poses of the Great Fairy? Cause that's a distinct difference between the two I remember.

THE FUTURE RULES! THE FUTURE RULES! THE FUTURE RULES!

Day One: 70.5 Hours Remain: Loop 2: Now with 43% more Hylian!
    Suddenly: PIANO!

I like the beat and cut to shaking Link there. the comedy and drama of the situation mixes quite well. we're dealing with some cursed stuff here.

Yeah I mask transitions when you don't skip them, I remember them being longer and with more sounds to hammer in that Link is screaming and doubling over in pain each time you do this in the original version.

oh no its Tingle. why does he exist? just to make us suffer?

that is a change, the Song of Time having variations to further manipulate time is indeed useful, and the speed up one used to only jump you forward, not go to specific whens.

.....cucco.....*shudders*

those councilmen are just straight up idiots honestly. who doesn't notice the Moon having a FACE and getting CLOSER TO THE EARTH? See!? Even the jugglers see it, and they're too busy looking at each other!

ah, echoes of song of storms....always nice to listen to.

Yes, the dance has been acquired. behold its movements. they're like a snake, a mysterious friendly snake with a swaying rhythm.
    Clearly Tingle is meant to be Termina's mirror version of Link /sarcasm.

Honestly now that I think about it, I don't think Song of Storms is in this... I could use that as my Scarecrow song!

Behold, my charming dance!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

If we consider the Ocarina to have five notes, and we number them 1-5 with 1 being the highest pitch and 5 being the lowest pitch, the intro to Beethoven's 5th would look like this:

1-1-1-3 2-2-2-4
    Spoiler
    Show