New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask (The Five Stages of Zelda-Game)

Spoiler: Zodi's Forms (6)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Mamamajora! Majora's Mask!

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask [6] Odolwa

Video Length: 24:03

The back half of Woodfall Temple, wherein we actually see some of those "Zelda expert mode" puzzles I mentioned last time, face off against a rude frog, and then face one of the stranger bosses in the series; Odolwa! The original game's version of this fight honestly feels like a mess, where it is never really clear what you're supposed to do. This version makes it far clearer, as well as adds in some extras to make it work even better... at the potential consequence of making it TOO telegraphed? I know some people dislike it, but as the first boss of the game it should be a little reasonable.

Also, and this is just me, but one of the cool things about Majora's Mask IS the fact that each boss has different ways to fight it. Each boss has a way for regular ole Hylian Link to take it down, and a way for his transformed state to take it down... and in the original, it was very unclear to just not being possible how you were supposed to do it with Deku Link! So making that clearer is GOOD, in my opinion, even if they may have made it took clear?

Regardless, Odolwa is destroyed, and we have obtained ourselves a sassy little princess as a result... and the masked remains of Odolwa, saving the Giant spirit beneath the mask! We'll learn more about these big ole honky boys later, but for now we take our new song and move on with our lives. Hope you all enjoyed, I'll see you all next time!

I was hoping you'd get those red rupees. :D

Yeah, they moved the stray fairy under the pushy block to above it in the beehive. An unneeded choice but its fine i guess.

Honestly, I didn't care for the boss changes, especially this boss, but a future boss i didn't mind as much. Odolwa is a cool boss with so many neat moves, love this warrior dude. The fight now is kinda trivialized. The bombs were for attracting his insect minions, kinda like the moths are attracted to flame. Anywho, GG!

For the sake of sanity, the way i'll be tracking rupees with time travel shenanigan's is:
    A: If there's a permanent visible rupee, and you don't get it, it is missed. If you go back in time and get it next time around, I'll try to make sure I subtract them from your score.
    B: Rupees that fade are missed, and they never can be subtracted.
    C: Lost rupees are always lost - so for example, overflow and lost to the void when you go back in time, etc.

EPISODE 6 KILL TALLY!

Gekko - 1
    Snapper - 1
    Bubble - 3
    Dragonfly - 2
    Big Skulltula - 3
    Odolwa - 1
    Insect Minion - 5

Style Points - 0
    Time Reset Count - 0

Missed Rupees - 21
    Lost Rupees - 17

Majora's Mask
    Total Kills
    (As of Episode 6)

Spoiler
    Show
    Bad Bat - 7
    Bee, Giant - 1
    Beehive - 4
    Boe, Black - 21
    Bubble - 5
    Deku Scrubs, Mad - 7
    Dinolfos - 1
    Eeno - 1
    Gekko - 1
    Leever - 1
    Octo, Big - 1
    Odolwa - 1
    Snapper - 5
    Wolfos - 1

Babas
    Baba, Mini - 5
    Baba, Deku - 13

Molds
    Dragonfly - 7
    Hiploop - 2
    Insect Minion - 5
    Skulltula, Big - 8

Slimes
    Chuchu, Red - 4
    Chuchu, Green - 2

Time Reset Count - 2

Total Things Dead - 103

1st Place - Black Boe, at 21!
    2nd Place - Deku Baba, at 13!
    3rd Place - Big Skulltula, at 8!

Total Style Points - 3

Total Missed Rupees - 59
    Total Lost Rupees - 28

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    So, this key-guarding miniboss. Every key-guarding miniboss is frog-based and turns into a 'normal' frog after being defeated. However...

Spoiler: No really, this is an actual spoiler for a quest chain later!
    Show
    Finding a specific mask will let you talk to the frogs. Here's the kicker: You have to talk to all five frogs, four of which are these key minibosses. Which are generally toward the END of each of the four dungeons. So to complete this quest, you have to run all four dungeons in the same three-day period at least far enough to talk to said frog while equipped with said mask before going to the next. This is... annoying, more than anything, as by the time you get into the fourth dungeon, the first few are pretty trivial, it's just a matter of slogging through the dungeons to get there.

Basically, I just ended up devoting an entire three-day cycle to this one quest.
    Actually, only two of the mini bosses are frogs. So only 2 out of the 5 in that description are accurate.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

2. - Top - End - #152
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask (The Five Stages of Zelda-Game)

So as of this tream, Raz's psychic education consists of

Basic Braining with Oleander: Pretty standard all things considered, everybody gets this, but Raz is apparently the first person ever to actually get to the end of the course.

Private one on one Psi-Blast Training and exploratory exercises with Sasha. He's not the only one to get this, but he's the only one that wasn't scared off by the offer of combat training.

Levitation training with Milla: Again, pretty standard.

And... Well, the selling point of Whispering Rock is a chance to be trained by elite agents of the Psychonauts. Oleander and Milla's lessons are standard, everyone gets those, but the people teaching it aren't.

All throughout this period, Raz is being mentored by Ford Cruller, founder of the PSychonauts, who takes a special interest in Raz and teaches him how to use three different psi-powers.

He gets into the psychonauts intern program, which is implied to be rather exclusive, and learns the explicitly rather advanced mental connection ability from Hollis...

And then learns Time Bubble from Helmut Fullbear and Mental Projection from Cassi O'pia.

Meaning that Raz has been, officially, mentored by the entire "current" generation of the elite of the Psychonauts and half of the Psychic Six.

Raz's dream is to be a psychonaut and he's basically winning at life. He has the power, the talent, and the education to... He's gonna be running the Motherlobe when he grows up.
    Spoiler: Stuff that's probably spoilers
    Show
    and if there's gonna be DLC or a Psychonauts 3 with new psi-powers, I'll eat my foot if it doesn't involve Nona teaching Raz how to control his hydrokinesis more actively.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Zeldaaaar

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask [7] Butler Race

Video Length: 24:20

With Woodfall done and princess successfully bottled, it is time to do some of the stuff we unlock for doing that! The first, and what takes up most of this video to be frank, is the Butler Race with the Deku Butler, a rather tricky little timed obstacle course. If you remember the Dampe races in Ocarina of Time, this is on those levels... though not AS bad, since while it IS timed, you don't have a time to beat. You just need to clear it at all. Please correct me if that's wrong it has been awhile. Finishing the race gets you the Mask of Scents, a snorty little pig face that lets us find mushrooms, and also the shoe dropping of "you remind me of my son", connecting the disfigured and crying deku-like tree in the intro of the game to our mask very concretely. That's pretty sad!

At least we do save the monkey, which is nice. We did also save the swamp too. It really speaks to how much evil the Skull Kid is spreading around that our happy ending to this part of the story is "things are back to normal". Things haven't even improved, we just set things back to square one- arguably not even that since the Butler's son is still dead. It's a lot to think about, and the first real moment you should realize Majora's Mask is not the sort of game Ocarina was, where the things you do are actively improving things.

That aside, we go save Koume again, and in doing so use our newfound piggy mask to sniff up some arcane truffles. Delicious!... though not for eating. We'll get into their purpose next time. Until then, take care! Hope you all enjoyed!
    Yey wallet! That's gonna help keeping you from losing those extra rupees!

Observation - now that you've healed woodfall, none of the enemies are around in the platforms around it - mad deku scrubs, hiploops, etc.

Huzzah, you've reclaimed some rupees from an earlier episode!

Observation - with the butler race, you can see the path you need to take once you complete a section, so if you fail a section, you can retrace earlier sections easier which is a neat thing!

OOOOF, that's a lot of missed rupees - 48 just from the butler race.

One thing I didn't mention last time you were in the Wood's of Mystery is that the order that you go through the maze changes each day, but its always the same pattern on that designated day. So you could potentially memorize the order from one cycle to the next, but depending on when a player encounters it, they might think its just always random instead since it changes each day.

The reason why the pig mask can detect mushrooms is because pigs are known to sniff out mushrooms, so they went with that, lmao.

EPISODE 7 KILL TALLY!

Deku Baba - 1
    Mini Baba - 1

Style Points - 0
    Time Reset Count - 0

Missed Rupees - 38 (thanks to reclaiming 10 missed in episode 4, otherwise it'd be 48)
    Lost Rupees - 0

Majora's Mask
    Total Kills
    (As of Episode 7)

Spoiler
    Show
    Bad Bat - 7
    Bee, Giant - 1
    Beehive - 4
    Boe, Black - 21
    Bubble - 5
    Deku Scrubs, Mad - 7
    Dinolfos - 1
    Eeno - 1
    Gekko - 1
    Leever - 1
    Octo, Big - 1
    Odolwa - 1
    Snapper - 5
    Wolfos - 1

Babas
    Baba, Mini - 6
    Baba, Deku - 14

Molds
    Dragonfly - 7
    Hiploop - 2
    Insect Minion - 5
    Skulltula, Big - 8

Slimes
    Chuchu, Red - 4
    Chuchu, Green - 2

Time Reset Count - 2

Total Things Dead - 105

2nd Place - Deku Baba, at 14!

Total Style Points - 3

Total Missed Rupees - 97
    Total Lost Rupees - 28
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2021-11-21 at 09:24 PM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

4. - Top - End - #154

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Honestly, I didn't care for the boss changes, especially this boss, but a future boss i didn't mind as much. Odolwa is a cool boss with so many neat moves, love this warrior dude. The fight now is kinda trivialized. The bombs were for attracting his insect minions, kinda like the moths are attracted to flame. Anywho, GG!

For the sake of sanity, the way i'll be tracking rupees with time travel shenanigan's is:
    A: If there's a permanent visible rupee, and you don't get it, it is missed. If you go back in time and get it next time around, I'll try to make sure I subtract them from your score.
    B: Rupees that fade are missed, and they never can be subtracted.
    C: Lost rupees are always lost - so for example, overflow and lost to the void when you go back in time, etc.

EPISODE 6 KILL TALLY!

Gekko - 1
    Snapper - 1
    Bubble - 3
    Dragonfly - 2
    Big Skulltula - 3
    Odolwa - 1
    Insect Minion - 5

Style Points - 0
    Time Reset Count - 0

Missed Rupees - 21
    Lost Rupees - 17

Majora's Mask
    Total Kills
    (As of Episode 6)

Spoiler
    Show
    Bad Bat - 7
    Bee, Giant - 1
    Beehive - 4
    Boe, Black - 21
    Bubble - 5
    Deku Scrubs, Mad - 7
    Dinolfos - 1
    Eeno - 1
    Gekko - 1
    Leever - 1
    Octo, Big - 1
    Odolwa - 1
    Snapper - 5
    Wolfos - 1

Babas
    Baba, Mini - 5
    Baba, Deku - 13

Molds
    Dragonfly - 7
    Hiploop - 2
    Insect Minion - 5
    Skulltula, Big - 8

Slimes
    Chuchu, Red - 4
    Chuchu, Green - 2

Time Reset Count - 2

Total Things Dead - 103

2nd Place - Deku Baba, at 13!

Total Style Points - 3

Total Missed Rupees - 59
    Total Lost Rupees - 28

Actually, only two of the mini bosses are frogs. So only 2 out of the 5 in that description are accurate.
    That's fair, on both points.

OOOOF, that's a lot of missed rupees - 48 just from the butler race.

One thing I didn't mention last time you were in the Wood's of Mystery is that the order that you go through the maze changes each day, but its always the same pattern on that designated day. So you could potentially memorize the order from one cycle to the next, but depending on when a player encounters it, they might think its just always random instead since it changes each day.

The reason why the pig mask can detect mushrooms is because pigs are known to sniff out mushrooms, so they went with that, lmao.
    Oh god that hurts so much.

That I did not know!

That I DID know!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Zodi's Forms (8)
    Show
    Insert bow and arrow pun here.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask [8] Perfect Score

Video Length: 24:32

In this episode, we continue some post Woodfall clean up- mainly helping Koume and Kotake out once more so we can gain access to her swampland archery contest, which nets us a nice and shiny empty bottle! If I recall this is basically the only thing the Mask of Scents is used for. After that, we head to the Swamp Shooting Gallery, blasting through waves of Mad Scrubs, Wolfos, and those weird bird things I forget the name of to get a piece of heart AND a quiver upgrade. After that we return to Clock Town to do THEIR local shooting gallery, getting another piece of heart and our final quiver upgrade, which is quite vital.

You see, the bow and arrow is one of the most important tools in Majora's Mask. We'll get more into it later, but the bow is used constantly throughout the game, more so than even Ocarina did. Having the maximum amount of arrows straight away will help us out immensely, not least of which because a powerful ranged weapon is just good to have on hand.

After that, we blow up more of Honey and Darling's stuff to get another fish ticket, then clean up two side quests I kinda let fall by the wayside initially; talking with the organ grinder Guru-guru to get the Bremen Mask, and using Kamoro's strange mystic dance to teach the Gormen Troupe dancers how to really work it, for another heart piece!

With that all done, I hope you enjoyed! See you all next time for... well, I'm not entirely sure. We'll see!

This episode looks like its going to be a busy one! Let's get to it! *cracks fingers*

You giving her the mushroom will unlock her later be able to make blue potions, but you'll need to do it again on other cycles. Anyway, you doubled the amount needed for the swamp witch shooting gallery and then some, I'm giving you +1 style point. What can I say? I'm a sucker for archery!

Fishing is new, and you don't get heart pieces or masks from it, BUT there is a collection of fish, and ****ing hilarious end fish that I'd love for you to get. If you get all the fish, you'll definitely get a style point from me for it. (but i understand if you don't want to.)

Perfect on first try for swamp shooting gallery? Twice in a row? Have another +1 Style Point! The heart piece you have to have perfect plus get a good time to get the heart piece. You blew it out of the water.

Perfect on first try for clocktown shooting gallery? Twice in a row? This sounds familiar! Have another +1 Style Point!

Okay, Zodi, you're making up for lost time....Like, you dunked the same basket twice, AND finished the basket bomb game with 0.41 seconds left... I have to give you an unprecedented FOURTH style point. You also just barely made it into the Honey & Darling shop before they closed, nice work.

We are slowly accumulating masks, and I am here for it. Glances at the kill count....HOLY...um....so...I think we might have a record? I might have to go back an check... A WHOPPING 180 kills today. (that's more than you currently had from episodes 1 - 7) Yeah, I looked back and you knocked the record out of the park...I know we've already a lot of these today, but one more for all the killing! +1 style point!

EPISODE 8 KILL TALLY!

Mad Deku Scrub - 44
    Guay - 24
    Wolfos - 12
    Red Octorok - 100

Style Points - 5
    Time Reset Count - 0

Missed Rupees - 0 (weeeee!)
    Lost Rupees - 0

Majora's Mask
    Total Kills
    (As of Episode 8)

Spoiler
    Show
    Bad Bat - 7
    Bee, Giant - 1
    Beehive - 4
    Boe, Black - 21
    Bubble - 5
    Deku Scrubs, Mad - 51
    Dinolfos - 1
    Eeno - 1
    Gekko - 1
    Guay - 24
    Leever - 1
    Odolwa - 1
    Snapper - 5
    Wolfos - 13

Babas
    Baba, Mini - 6
    Baba, Deku - 14

Molds
    Dragonfly - 7
    Hiploop - 2
    Insect Minion - 5
    Skulltula, Big - 8

Octoroks
    Octoroks, Red - 100
    Octos, Big - 1

Slimes
    Chuchu, Red - 4
    Chuchu, Green - 2

Time Reset Count - 2

Total Things Dead - 285

1st Place - Red Octorok, at 100!
    2nd Place - Mad Deku Scrubs, at 51!
    3rd Place - Guay, at 24!

Total Style Points - 8

Total Missed Rupees - 97
    Total Lost Rupees - 28

World Building Projects:
    Magic

6. - Top - End - #156

Horrifying thought.

All of Ford Cruller's personalities in this game seem innocuous but are representative of different points in his relationship with Lucy...

What are his other personalities representative of? The Park Ranger, the Quartermaster, and so on...

The Admiral in the first game can even be seen administering affection to one particular canoe that has apparently been damaged by "psychic fish" and saying how he won't let anyone hurt "her" again, which if you trigger that can cause Raz to ask if he's in love with the canoe and...

Yeah. That probably means something.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

I mean its possible they didn't have that figured out by then. like the problem with Ford Cruller is that a lot of what he does is seemingly random and played for comedic effect, especially in the first game. its only when we get into his mind where things like sorting the mail, being a barber or cleaning bowling shoes has any relation or association to anything he is going through because they serve as metaphors for it. from the outside he is just this broken psychonaut doing odd jobs and probably using the Archetype power on some external scale thought unimaginable by Cassie. all those Fords could be just be really sophisticated archetypes refined by him being one of the most powerful and experienced psychonauts to ever exist. thus its hard to say whether they are all compartments of him or that some are just archetype creations from him.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #158

This episode looks like its going to be a busy one! Let's get to it! *cracks fingers*

You giving her the mushroom will unlock her later be able to make blue potions, but you'll need to do it again on other cycles. Anyway, you doubled the amount needed for the swamp witch shooting gallery and then some, I'm giving you +1 style point. What can I say? I'm a sucker for archery!

Fishing is new, and you don't get heart pieces or masks from it, BUT there is a collection of fish, and ****ing hilarious end fish that I'd love for you to get. If you get all the fish, you'll definitely get a style point from me for it. (but i understand if you don't want to.)

Perfect on first try for swamp shooting gallery? Twice in a row? Have another +1 Style Point! The heart piece you have to have perfect plus get a good time to get the heart piece. You blew it out of the water.

Perfect on first try for clocktown shooting gallery? Twice in a row? This sounds familiar! Have another +1 Style Point!

Okay, Zodi, you're making up for lost time....Like, you dunked the same basket twice, AND finished the basket bomb game with 0.41 seconds left... I have to give you an unprecedented FOURTH style point. You also just barely made it into the Honey & Darling shop before they closed, nice work.

We are slowly accumulating masks, and I am here for it. Glances at the kill count....HOLY...um....so...I think we might have a record? I might have to go back an check... A WHOPPING 180 kills today. (that's more than you currently had from episodes 1 - 7) Yeah, I looked back and you knocked the record out of the park...I know we've already a lot of these today, but one more for all the killing! +1 style point!
    Hell yeah, super stylish! And I may do the fishing, if it is reasonable to do. I'll at least give it a look at some point.

Not gonna lie, all this talk of me shattering records has me playing the Mario Party "NEW RECOOORD" sound in my brain on loop. It's free serotonin!

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Horrifying thought.

All of Ford Cruller's personalities in this game seem innocuous but are representative of different points in his relationship with Lucy...

What are his other personalities representative of? The Park Ranger, the Quartermaster, and so on...

The Admiral in the first game can even be seen administering affection to one particular canoe that has apparently been damaged by "psychic fish" and saying how he won't let anyone hurt "her" again, which if you trigger that can cause Raz to ask if he's in love with the canoe and...

Yeah. That probably means something.
    It's always going to be hard to tell what is and isn't planned- because we know from the first game that the Golachio family was a family of fortune tellers and mystics in the same circus that the Aquatos were on, since we can see their advertisement posters in the Meat Circus, and we know from promotional material all the way back then that they were at least in the lore book as "the family what cursed Raz's" but, since there is such a vast gap between then and now, it really is quite impossible to know just what was known back then, what they claim was known back then but really wasn't, and what was head canon to the developers but never actually expressed in or out of universe.

Like how (don't discuss it don't discuss it don't discuss it) George Lucas has gone back and tried to write over the past of the original films to make them look a lot better connected then they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I mean its possible they didn't have that figured out by then. like the problem with Ford Cruller is that a lot of what he does is seemingly random and played for comedic effect, especially in the first game. its only when we get into his mind where things like sorting the mail, being a barber or cleaning bowling shoes has any relation or association to anything he is going through because they serve as metaphors for it. from the outside he is just this broken psychonaut doing odd jobs and probably using the Archetype power on some external scale thought unimaginable by Cassie. all those Fords could be just be really sophisticated archetypes refined by him being one of the most powerful and experienced psychonauts to ever exist. thus its hard to say whether they are all compartments of him or that some are just archetype creations from him.
    Oh absolutely. I think it is less swarm-minded thinking that's got Ford like this and more "instead of facing his trouble he literally broke his mind with the astrolathe to avoid having to face any of it" and this is just how the trauma is leaking out.

9. - Top - End - #159

So another observation: All of the psychic six you've encountered so far were receptive to having someone help them work through their baggage, to various degrees.

They all live either at or in walking distance of the largest concentration of psychics in the world, whose mission statement includes "help people work through their baggage."

You'd uh... You'd think they'd have gotten help with that by now.

And, in the first game if you try to use the Psychoportal on ord he'll say that better psychics than Raz have been driven insane by his fractured mind... But it's pretty straight forward here.

...The Psychonauts like, might be bad at that part of their job?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

So another observation: All of the psychic six you've encountered so far were receptive to having someone help them work through their baggage, to various degrees.

They all live either at or in walking distance of the largest concentration of psychics in the world, whose mission statement includes "help people work through their baggage."

You'd uh... You'd think they'd have gotten help with that by now.

And, in the first game if you try to use the Psychoportal on ord he'll say that better psychics than Raz have been driven insane by his fractured mind... But it's pretty straight forward here.

...The Psychonauts like, might be bad at that part of their job?
    I mean, Ford was probably lying there, given that he seemed to not want to be put back together. Given all of his actions. And, frankly, it seemed like the Six rather eschewed everything after their failure, and the people who were underneath them were likely too in awe of them or whatever to try and push the matter.

Alternatively, things may have been worse earlier on, before they've had some time to help work through things.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

I mean....a part of the problem is that the Psychonauts kind lives in a world of jerks, where everyone is just a jerk for no reason other than comedy. like they're recruiting that one kid who is cruel to animals and expecting her to like, respect the minds of PEOPLE? Not a reasonable thing in a sane world. or take the fact that none of the kids give any respect to Raz despite him being basically a child prodigy at this point, at either the camp or at the base. people in the world of psychonauts are just kind of jerks all the time, not exactly a good environment for getting better.

there is also the fact that two of the psychic six are these isolationist people clearly more comfortable talking to bees or animals than people. Cassie and Compton both seem highly telepathic and its modern trope that people who are strongly telepathic can "hear" too many thoughts and experience sensory overload because of it, that telepathy is only a good power in moderation when you can focus it on one mind. this in particular prevents them from receiving help because to get it they'd have to go to among more complex thoughts which seem louder than just animals.

Helmut, its obvious why he didn't receive help, he nearly died and got put in a tank- funnily enough his brain is actually one of the healthiest of them once it gets over the sensory overload issues, which is Raz inflicted, while coming to terms with the memories is one of the easiest parts in the game it seems like, so it seems if got the chance he would've had the help he needed to move on.

Ford implies his own mind shattering was self-inflicted, so he probably set up defenses to prevent people from fixing him- his condition may have been less bad in the past and his mind stronger than but his defenses only deteriorated with time as his mental state did. Then he went off to live at a psychic camp, so of course he didn't get the help he needed, he was busy being the janitor to brain camp for young psychics.

Otto Mentalis seems to be a mad scientist kind of deal no matter how good or evil he is-he might get stuck on long projects without really talking to anyone because he is focused on his work that no one else really seems interested in helping out or understanding what he is on about. Thus it is its own form of isolation.

While the sixth member, we haven't seen yet but given that they aren't around, they're probably isolating themselves as well.

In short, one of them was on brain life support for decades and the other four-five of them are deliberately isolating themselves in their interests rather than deal with people. they just all collectively decided to hide in their little turtle shells as coping mechanisms rather than risk screwing up a mission because they had been mentally compromised. Milla, Hollis and Nein seem more mentally balanced, Oleander just seems to be kept around because its probably better than letting him wander off to screw up something. also the Psychic Six were the ones who did the whole psychic pioneering experimentation stuff that lowered their mental defenses- perhaps their cases took more time to heal because of it, while most psychonauts having learned from their "frontier age" of psychic powers put safer and more reliable methods into practice, which is why you have a bunch of nameless probably more mentally well adjusted psychonaut agents in the motherlobe around, they're just....not important to the plot, so they don't get a name or the ability to participate.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

12. - Top - End - #162

Compton was an active duty Psychonaut. They even have him mentoring an intern.

He spends most of his time in psychoisolation, yes... But he's still on the payroll and he agreed to a wellness check when Raz asked.

So... The simplest explanation is that an organization in part motivated by helping people with psychological issues never asked if Compton would be down to have someone see if there's anything they could do poking around in there.

Unless you want to argue that Raz is just... Better at it than every psychonaut in existence, and to be fair, for all his faults the boy has a great deal of care and empathy for people which seems to be in short supply... In general. But if he was just good at it he woulnd't have made that mistake with Boyd.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Or, Compton could have degenerated recently, or have good days and bad days. He's gone into isolation, but if he was able to get assigned an intern maybe he only checked in there a few days ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #164

Another observation I forgot to make.

Nona sees az as one of his siblings.

Nona herself was essentially brainwashed into switching places with her dead sister.

Possibly foreshadowing.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #165

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Or, Compton could have degenerated recently, or have good days and bad days. He's gone into isolation, but if he was able to get assigned an intern maybe he only checked in there a few days ago.
    Yeah, I'd say Compton is actually rather... well adjusted, for lack of a better term. He just has his bad days. His personal trauma we have to help him with is a rather nasty bought of anxiety (which we directly cause by bringing three bees instead of one, which just turned out to be far too loud for him). He is sensitive, fragile even if you'd allow, but he's not broken in the way Ford is.

16. - Top - End - #166

And not a drop to think.

Zodi Streams: Psychonauts 2 [4] Water Water Everywhere

Video Length: 5:50:43

In this one, we take down Bob's Bottles, dip into Lucy's mind, and put an end to Maligula once and for all!

Psychonauts 2 is such a better game from the original that it's honestly kind of impressive. I'm glad I streamed through it, and glad I got to play it all blind. Genuinely looking forward to whatever they do next... because if this is what Double Fine is capable of doing now, maybe there future games will also be good!

17. - Top - End - #167

This game is, arguably, a deconstruction of the idea that you should never meet your heroes because they are flawed human beings who will let you down.

In this game, Raz dives right into the very psyches of several of his heroes and sees their flaws and mistakes first hand and... It doesn't really change how he sees them. If anything, getting to know the real them and helping them overcome their own traumas makes him admire them more while reinforcing the idea that everyone makes mistakes, everyone is flawed, and everyone can suffer trauma.

Even with Ford, Raz is justifiably angry, but... He doesn't hate Ford. He honestly seems more concerned about the immediate fallout and is still able to listen to reason with Ford.

Eddie Rigs is who you're thinking of: Incidentally, Raz's reaction to finding Vison's Violin is also a reference to Brutal Legend.

Per that game, a Roadie's job is to stay out of the spotlight, sneak around, clean up, and do whatever it takes to make the band look good. In the rockstar world, it is a sacred duty that can only be undertaken by someone responsible and trustworthy

(So you heard it here, you ever go on tour, respect your roadies.)

This means that Helmut seeing Raz that way means he has a great deal of trust and respect for Raz now.

The other members of the Feast specifically see Raz as himself, in their respective colors and with their respective sense organs exaggerated.

My advice regarding concessions was a post-game thing unrelated to the memory vault.

Note how Helmut was very clearly diving in front of Bob to take a hit for him.

The archetype can attack if it's fully upgraded, but only in direct response to being attacked itself. It's a support power, there to back Raz up. A roadie to a roadie, if you will.

I kind of get the feeling that Ford didn't shatter his mind on purpose. He was trying to erase or suppress his own memories of what he did with Lucy and then he done messed up. In his shattered state, he forgot about Helmut.

Otherwise, you'd think he'd have gotten Helmut taken care of first.

Note that Helmut is clearly the last of the psychic seven to join.

Bob seems to have fallen for Helmut upon seeing him perform for the first time, shortly after they met.

Super Sneezing Powder and smelling slats have different names... But the idea that they have some related properties is compelling.

Counterfeiter and Teacher see you as Archetype, Writer sees you the same way that the whole cassie in the outside world sees you: A fan with her book. which, you know, Raz is.

It's very interesting: Cassie clearly has mixed feelings about the rest of the Psychic Seven... But she still places them above herself in her mindscape.

Otto was Ford's research partner and it was his idea to bring in more people at first. That's pretty much it—he's not without redeeming qualities, when you asked him about Helmut he pretty clearly feels remorse that they couldn't find him and that it was his invention that caused him to be lost to them, but... Yeah.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if ford and Otto were only fines becuase they were roommates in college or something.

Cassie's mental image of Bob seems a bit... scatterbrained, doesn't he?

So... Cassie doesn't really understand how or why Lucy snapped?

So, if you recall Lucy was the first person that Otto and Ford brought in, which means that they were well underway in the hydraulic mining by the time Cassie came in. Presumably, that's why they didn't listen to her.

So that bt regarding the stage act and Lucy's tone talking about it... That's gonna be a theme.

Again, Cassie got there after Lucy. Maligula ruined everything, but... Also, Cassie seems to be missing a bit more information regarding Lucy.

Like Cassie's archetypes of herself, each of her mental images is a two-dimensional construct. That includes those of her friends.

For the record, either on revisit or in the postgame (not sure which), if you go back to where the knight and dragon were there's a pile of ash where the knight used to be and you can have a conversation with the dragon about it.

Note that Augustus looks to be about Raz's age, give or take, in that flashback. It's been 20 years since then, and the oldest Aquato child looks mid-teens.

Which implies that Augustus and Donatella were teen parents.

No wonder the Aquatos are so poor off. Throw in Nona going a bit senile at somepoint as the damage caught up to her... Raz running away and the fact that traveling apparently costs them enough money that they can't leave the Questionable Area? until they raise enough money to cover the cost of the trip... It's not okay that they treat Raz gruffly for this, but it's more understandable.

That's probably where they studied Psycho-Isolation Raz.

Yeah, the combination seemed obvious to me, too.

...So the thought occurs to me that Lucy being a former psychonaut might be why there was a Psi-Challenge Marker in the Aquatodome.

In the first game, Raz was able to talk through the stream just fine, it was only the lake, and water in the mental worlds, that were problems.

Presumably, it has to be deep enough for him to drown... Or at least think he can drown. We just found ut last time that the curse is just a superstition born from Lucy and Agustus trying to rationalize the phobia that Ford placed on them and the whole thing is Psychosomatic. The rules are probably whatever Raz thinks the rules are.

As far as we know, Compton and Cassie are just friends. Remember: Compton is a grandfather and his grandchildren look like him, but not like Cassie.

So that's a still. He is fermenting and distilling mushrooms. Waste of perfectly good yummy bumps of fungus if you ask me.

Bob has also aged like Milk. He's spent at least ten years and probably much longer by himself, not self-maintaining, living mostly on moonshine and... So alcoholism runs in my family. Not a bad as Bob, but it's very hard on you in mind and body.

So there are two ways to read the scene regarding the plant giving Raz permission to go into Bob's head and I don't know which I like better.

1: The plant is fully sapient and this is equivocal to staging an intervention.

2: The vine is not sapient and is under Bob's control and Bob is subconsciously begging for help becuase he knows he has a problem but can't admit it to himself.

The second is supported by the fact that Bob doesn't really resist once the portal is in place.

Not Lucrecia, Tia. You'll meet her in a little bit.

Immediately the Bob in the mind is... Much nicer than the Bob in the outside world. He's sad and confused, but not violent. H's not a bad guy, he's just a mean drunk.

That's not water. That's his moonshine. His mindscape is literally flooded with alcohol. It behaves like water as a gameplay mechanic, but so do the lines at the concession stands in Helmut's mind.

So Tia isn't "aunty," Tia is the name of Bob's mother.

And I hope you do more island exploration becuase there's one more construct I want to see your reaction to.

The Bulb Bobs seem to be reciting lines from drinking songs.

A stone woman, specifically... In rigor mortis.

You first encounter Bad Moods in the mind of bob Zanatto. A man who is frequently in ill-temper due to his excessive drinking.

Note: Bad Moods see Raz as a psychiatrist.

Yeah... The implication is that Tia Zanatto was also an alcoholic and that she drank in the greenhouse. And that she either finally overdid it, or that the complications caught up with her, or that she... Not alived herself, and Bob fond her body and started drinking himself to cope.

You could go but the bottle wouldn't have been there. It only spawned in during that cutscene.

This is a dark place and Bob has been here for a long time. Keep that in mind.

The Moth strongly resembles Bob's face for a reason...

You'll notice that some of the tiles are cracked.

Unless they changed it again, you've already seen the page: Originally it only mentioned dental phobias, but changed to include fear of tight spaces and vomit in the same patch that added the checkmarks to show world completion and the quality of life and expanded post-game due to receiving feedback.

So make a note: Bob's flashback of the day he was fired makes Truman out to be much more reasonable than the image of Truman on the island.

Bob tried to invent the beard of holding. It was a... Mixed success.

Red velvet wedding cake, through an impossible space into a confetti wedding cake, into chocolate, and I legit don't know what the blue and green one is. If this is accurate then these two went all out for their wedding.

Otto was at the wedding—In Helmut's mind under the stage there's an auto figment in formal wear near the other wedding figments. But... Well, I'll get to that later.

The implication here is that Bob was a little drunk at the wedding but wasn't so far gone enough to not realize it was a problem and make an ass of himself. He took the time to compose himself because... He had a problem, but it wasn't until he lost Helmut that it dominated his life.

The burp shattering the face of the Helmut and the highly realistic skull inside? Probably reminiscent of a mixture of what Bob feared may have happened and his belief that Helmut is dead and gone forevermore...

...Lost forever... like Lenore.

"Quoth the Raven, nevermore."

The birds that have been carrying the Bulb Bob's are specifically ravens because he's mourning a lost love that he feels he will never see again. Crap, I thought those were shanties but I'm gonna have to cross-reference Bulb bob's lines against Poe's work. I just realize it but now it's so obvious now that I've thought of it god damn. I typed a thing and my brain made a connection.

This game is fricking brilliant.

So Psi-King's sensorium is the prettiest level, but the flashback of Bob's wedding vows is hands down the most beautiful thing in this game. Seriously, I tear up a little hearing it.

The Feel Mobile is there becuase this is a feels trip.

You might notice the "sailing themes," while an orignal score to be sure, has just some slight influence from Drunken Sailor at the very beginning of the loop.

On Otto... Note how in Helmut's memory vault, Helmut was the last of the seven to join. Bob was in psychic six-well before Helmut.

The moth is an embodiment of Bob's alcoholism. His instinct to isolate himself and use liquor to bury his painful memories and numb himself to anything coming in the future. The Truheltia Memonstria(Truman, Helmut, and Tia) are the memories he's trying to bury. But also the lies that he tells himself to justify his alcoholism.

And note how it's another self-destructive boss: It gives you those mines that you can throwback to damage it. Alcoholism isn't something you can control, you can either moderate your drinking or you can't(which is consistent with a lot of addictions and similar behaviors, whether it's inborn or acquired you're never "cured" of it)... But the justifications you make for yourself to indulge your alcoholism or other addictions is a behavior that can be changed and it should be becuase if you let the addiction control you then you'll end up in an early grave.

'Wonder what the Truman plant being a firebreathing monster represents,' he said sarcastically.

Bob starts fighting back when the Helmut Memonstria says "I never loved Bob" because that's something that Bob can't convince himself of. And how could he? It's an act of love most supreme to throw yourself in front of a killing blow meant for someone else. True love. Unconditional love.

And the very thought of that crossing his mind, the simple idea that Helmut didn't really love him is enough t make Bob admit he has a problem and start right then and there to work towards it, resisting his urge to drink his pain away... Becuase if it means spitting on Helmut's memory if it means denying that love, it's not worth it. Bob's love for Helmut is stronger than all of his pain put together.

Alcoholics Anonymous, the most successful alcoholism support group, states that the first step toward sobriety is to admit that you are powerless in the hands of alcohol and entrust yourself to a "higher power" that gives you the strength you need. For Bob? That's his love for Helmut.

His line about taking the new seeds coming in "one at a time" is likewise evocative of common advice when dealing with addiction: Take it one day at a time.

Elijah Wood doe a good job in this scene I think. He's essentially playing two roles at the same time: Jack Black, and the character that Jack Black is playing. And I think he nails it, especially the delivery of "borrowed lips, it wouldn't be right."

So there's probably something symbolic about Bob making his moonshine out of something his beloved Helmut hates.

So Helmut relating to Bob how he survived is framed a little bit like a "kill yourself to avoid being killed by someone else" type thing with the comment that Helmut "blew his brains out." But you know, it ended much better(eventually) than that usually does.

Actually, the gag order doesn't stop the Archetype from talking... It sounds like he's got a pillow shoved in his mouth.

So once you clear a mind the rule of symbolism kind of goes away if you go into a combat zone, they'll just spawn in whatever.

So, all of the psychic six, but especially Bob and Helmut would be well justified in holding a grudge against Lucy... But not one of them does. and Bob, followed by Helmut, are the first ones that come in for the hug. Even Otto goes in for the hug.

So... Of all the minds, it seems that Helmut's view of the crew was most accurate.

And Raz seems to be taking Lucy's place in the psychic seven for this job. That's a nice touch, but also... Maybe he doesn't want to be sitting on that cushion given what Nona just said.

Note: This is the only time anyone in Raz's family has called him Raz. I the real world, his father calls him Razputin, his mother and Nona call him Pootie, and his siblings call him Pooter.

Back in the first game, he said something along the lines of "They call me Raz" and... No. No one did until he instructed himself that way. So either 1: That's a nickname he wants to be addressed by that nobody does or 2: He made it up on the spot to try and sound cool.

Though honestly, considering hes' named after Grulovia's greatest love machine I'm not sure why he'd want a cooler name.

If you've noticed, variations of the Meat circus theme have been consistently played as a recurring motif with Razputin's family throughout this game... But not the actual theme itself. It's the same melody, but the instrumentation will be slightly different, or here it's a higher pitch. It consistently sounds somewhat less sinister due to tose changes and also the different context, if only slightly.

Which, naturally, makes sense: The meat circus was the corrupted and distorted version.

He'd have been doing it the whole time if you'd bought the Bobby pin.

....So I only just noticed that the way Nona carries herself and the way she's dressed kind of make her resemble a flee when viewed from profile.

So, you know... The high dive is a lot higher and delivered the second time you climb it.

So a Sonic the Hedgehog game introduced rail grinding as part of a promotional tie-in for Soap Shoes and that just became The Thing for platformers for like a decade.

So I think it's safe to say now: Maligula is a disassociated identity and an embodiment of Lucy's Fight or Flight response cranked up to 11 and permanently stuck on Fight. The experiments that the Psychic Seven did in the heptadome rendered her very fragile, as has been explained. She went to Grulovia becuase it was invaded and used her vast powers to swiftly end the war, but when the war was over the people became dissatisfied with the Gzar and wanted change. BEcuase of how... Vulnerable Lucy still was, she was susceptible to manipulation and she would disperse crowds of protestors peacefully with rain... But one time it didn't work, and she'd unknowingly caused a huge build-up behind the damn. Keep the rain up a little too long... Sploosh.

The realization that she'd inadvertently killed countless people... With her sister being one of them? Broke her. A piece of her splintered off, becoming an Alter embodying the dark, base instincts that everyone has, that should have been easy to control, and she lashed out, seeing everything as a threat to be destroyed. Because that was easier than dealing with the sheer horror of what had just happened.

That would be bad at the best of times... but as one of, if not the, strongest psychics alive at the time... Whoa boy.

And yes, Nona has a hell of a lot of emotional baggage and Ford used all of it to hold Maligula down.

I've seen people argue that he looks like a vaguely middle eastern peasant to 'Truman's' perspective.

Don't worry, Norma's already made as much of a mess as she possibly can.

The fact that the line stander figments talk when you collect them is really offputting.

Lili sees Raz as himself, but taller and more well-kempt. Big improvement from the first game where she saw him as Romeo.

The line attendant sees you as something to be herded.

...That's a very accurate guess Zodi.

Yeah. During the war, an invading force attacked young Gristol, and he was rescued by Lucy... So he unambiguously sees her as a hero and in his mind twists history to support that narrative. And... Rightly, he thinks of father using and abusing her and then trying to dispose of her when he was unable to control her as something that was... You know, wrong.

It'd be sweet if he wasn't a narcissistic sociopath.

The rich and spoiled pay out the ass to eat the parts of the food that other people throw away. That's how lobster got its start, believe it or not.

Money is a strange thing. You can have not enough money and too much money for your own good, even at the same time, but you can never have enough.

Unlike every other mind you've been in, Gristol isn't mentally ill. Not from psitnium poisoning, not from sensory deprivation, not from an organic disorder, not from brain damage, not from trauma, though he's certainly had traumatic experiences. Based o his knowledge and life experiences, he's perfectly rational.

That's what makes him scary.

Ah, lobster came up. To be specific, it was considered garbage to the point that feeding it to prisoners too often was legally considered cruel and unusual punishment, then people on the coast started selling it to rich people who struck it big out west by claiming it was a delicacy and shipping cars full of lobster on ice out to them on the railways and the opinion of the wealthy rubes supplanted the orignal opinion that it was an icky sea bug.

Gristol acts like his family were living in abject squalor... when he can afford to permanently rent out the penthouse at a five-star, highly exclusive casino resort and buy so much caviar that he forgets about it and leave it out till it goes bad. Really, it's a good example of how if the upper class doesn't raise their kids right, they won't appreciate what they have.

The term diaspora is sometimes used to refer to anyone being forced to leave their homeland and scatter across the world, usually as a simile.

I mean, technically you've been punching Nick in the brain for a while.

Raz did in fact point out the rotten caviar.

The Gristol in the mental construct of the Luctopus penthouse sees Raz as a fellow prince and is quite friendly with him, at least after finding out that he's Grulovian. This is probably the one part of Gristol that... Actually cares about people. The nugget of truth in his otherwise absurd idea that freeing Maligula will be a net good for the Grulovian people and that they'd all be wealthy. H's mostly just being a spoiled brat, but on some level, he does want to help even if the rest of him is just a rich asshat.

So, if Raz says yes," he says yes before clarifying that he's only half. I don't know what he says if you say no.

Note that Gristol refers to Raz in his mind as "a rusted agent of the psychonauts" and not "the kid that literally just showed up like three days ago." He doesn't actually know who Raz is...

This combat section is clearly based on Gristol's memory of being attacked and Caligula rescuing him... And other than the censors, the enemies here all correspond to the kind of feelings he'd have at the time or have pon looking back at it later.

Note, there are Dogen and Bobby Zilch and Mikail and suicide cult figments in the camp facade. Gristol was monitoring the camp recently.

Kind of explains why "Truman" had the big freak out about Lilli having a boyfriend at the end of Rhombus: the real Truman was probably kidnapped and the switch happened as the first game was happening. Gristol probably stopped monitoring the camp like, the day Raz showed up, sometime before the evening. From his perspective, he looks away for a short period of time, and then a big change happens.

There's also a theory that since Loboto was working for both Gristol and Oleander at the same time, that Gristol was aware of Oleander's plans and was planning to co-opt them. "The World Shall Taste My Eggs" makes more sense from an egg obsessed mind than a meat obsessed mind.

"Everything was awesome for me, it had to be awesome for everyone else, right?"

So important thing to note: Despite not being psychic, Gristol has absurd control of his own mental world. He's confronting Raz directly in his own mind while simultaneously controlling Truman's body in meat space and manipulating the environment in the mindscape to his advantage.

Too bad that it seems to be a consistent rule that your mental self is only as strong as your natural meat body. Otherwise, he might have been a threat.

You can go back for the Figments Zodi.

There was like a second between Lili running off with Raz and Lucy turning back into Maligula. Also, Milla seemed to understand perfectly so...

Honestly, the plan to stop Maligula for good probably would have gone off without a hitch if Gritol hadn't pulled Raz out, so this is all Norma's fault.

By the way: Shasha and Milla are in their clothes from the first game again for some reason.

So, in the flee circus there's evidence of a knife-throwing act, but no sign of a fat lady either in the real Aquato circus or the construct of it that Ford created.

But the one tent in the Aquato Family's camp does kind of match the color scheme of the Fat Lady that was a bouncy platform in the Meat Circus in the first game.

And here: Raz has known for the past long while that the curse isn't real, but it's still been an obstacle. Here he's stating outright that it's not real and is confronting the water head-on because he has to. If he doesn't, then the world is doomed. Again. This is important.

The first time one of Raz's relatives calls him Raz in meat space is when the whole family gets together to help him save the world... After Donatella hands Augustus the pinecone he's been levitating and trying to ignite all day—you can tell a lot about someone by how they react in a crisis. Raz's siblings and mother react to a crisis by finally accepting Raz and Agustus's psychic nature and letting go of their prejudices because there's more important stuff to be concerned with. They're even starting to use Raz's preferred name.

I mentioned Rainbow Lensing, treating a non-LGBT topic as a metaphor for it back in my comments on the first stream. And this is it. It's very easy to see Raz's family and their reactions to his running away and being openly psychic and compare it to a gay or trans kid coming out to their family and the myriad of reactions to it... I'm not really sure I can comment on whether or not it was done well.

As an aside, modern technology references exempted, the games very clearly seem to be set in the 80s or 90s. Bob and Helmut's marriage was over 20 years ago, putting it in the 60sor 70s. And since Hollis's memory of tampering with Dr. Pott's mind seems to suggest that sexism and racism are a thing(he has 'race' and 'woman' idea bubbles and, well, Hollis is clearly coded as an African American woman...) that means that homophobia is probably still a thing regardless of the existence of psychics and prejudices against them.

So Bob and Helmut's wedding was very much a "**** you, we're doing what makes us happy regardless of the law or society's thoughts" thing. And that's pretty cool.

Back on topic, Mirtala continues to be just a little too young to really understand what's going on.

And yes, it's terrifying how powerful psychics can potentially be... and Raz is of this same bloodline. He's already demonstrated absurd levels of power. He is probably going to be this powerful someday, if not stronger, and he has no shortage of potential mentors to help him refine his power and hone his skills.

Just, hope to god that he never loses his support network. If he snaps the world is probably screwed.

There's no reason to suspect that anyone but Ford and the other psychic six knew how to get through the forgetful forest. The place is locked up tighter than Fort Nox. Truman probably sent the letters to Bob by giving them to Otto, who we know has gone there at least once to set up an Otto-matic for presumably just in case Bob or Casie want to buy something.

Earlier Ford refers to Raz's grandparents as Lazlo and Morona, but, like you said, Lazlo is a perfectly valid nickname for someone named Lazarus.

Raz did say that Maligula was in the way, Zodi.

Notice that Caligula has no defensive game. She attacks and she moves around. Fight or Flight exaggerated and stuck on fight.

I get the feeling that they meant for Morris to be the first one to show up but the phases got switched around.

"Everything I got" is obviously a call back to the first game... But either Nona has more to give than Augustus did, or just a few days was enough for Raz's skill to grow becuase instead of a mere energy construct this time we get...

*Bum ba buh dum!*

You all wanted it but were afraid to ask...

The Triumphant Return of...

Goggleor!

I get the feeling that this last phase of the boss fight was just the develops deciding, just for the hell of it, to show what Lungfishopolis would have been if they had the resources needed to do that concept justice. I'm pretty sure that's even the same music.

Because Raz confronted the 'curse' head-on, he's conquered his fear and now the Hand of the Golochio helps him

Much better. It's amazing what a little experience and a decent budget can get you.

Regarding doing more with the family: In the casino, Raz alludes to playing a game called Gruloky with Nona... Apparently, data miners have found unused voice clips of Raz explaining some of the rules and e entire aquatic family playing it, suggesting that at some point there was a "play Gruloky with the family" sidequest or minigame that got cut.

D'Artagnan isn't in the game. Though the kooky lady in psycho isolation will guess that that's Raz's name. And it was his hat, not his scar, that was too awesome to work in the game engine.

At a bare minimum, there's gonna be some Psychonauts 2 DLC. Could have sworn it was already announced but I can't remember from where I heard that. Like... going back to Rhombus. Loboto said that someone was paying him to steal Raz's brain specifically, but Gristol doesn't have much idea of who Raz is... This implies that Loboto was moonlighting for a third employer that we don't even know about yet.

Knight accidentally called you Zordon. Don't know about you, but that's a pretty flattering mistake.

there's a Viking helmet in the ball with Helmut's brain.

Under standard difficulty settings, you take damage after respawning from the water. That goes away in the post-game.

So, regarding the concessions: the lines there behave like water, fall in and can't get back out and the hand comes out and drags you in. I've seen it thrown around that, in the post-game, the hand instead makes you crowd surf.

Loboto left his kid at the camp.

So... There's someone at the camp who has a similar body type to Loboto, the same skin color, similar heterochromia, who has a bit of an inferiority complex, who teared up at the mention of the good relationship between Raz and his father at the end of the first game, and whose Campster profile lists his favorite music, movies, and so on as all things that are about or include dysfunctional families, abusive or absent father figures, and/or murderous psychos.

Bobby is Loboto's son. Which, yeah... Daddy stole his brain. No wonder the kid has issues.

So basically they built the mural with Lucrecia but then just left a tarp over her part for the last 20 years.

If Raz is Nate Grey, Queepie is Molly Hayes.

Apparently, there's a way to trigger Raz saying that Otto's the only member of the Psychic Seven whose mind he didn't visit and then says "maybe someday" but I don't know how that gets triggered but... Yeah. Overt sequel hook.

"Didn't see you breathing fire at a giant manifestation of Nona's overinflated fight or flight complex, Frazie."
    "...What?"

Donnatella just flat-out ignores that the curse was never real... Oh God in psychonauts 3 i's gonna turn out that curses are real after all and Donatella is secretly a former witch?

...Okay, I think Donnatella's comments about using psychic powers to crush the opposition is better than her previous attitude...

You know, the funiculars might be another place where using the speed-up time bubble pin might work.

*sigh* Mental Gristol is halfway there...

So what are the odds that the scar on Augustus's face came from a mishap with the knife-throwing act?

Raz's face when Augustus reveals that they're getting swimming lessons from Oleander is probably peak "well okay then."

I'm fully expecting that if there is a Psychonauts 3, or if they somehow add more powers in DLC, that Nona will teach Raz how to consciously control his hydrokinesis.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't multiple psi powers that are applications of it.

As is, if Raz can learn a psi power from Nona, Compton, Bob, Otto, and Truman he'll have trained under the entire "who's who" of the psychonauts.

Yeah, turns out the hydrokinetic is thirsty as hell. The question is... Was Lucy always like that, or is she just at the age where she doesn't give a crap anymore?

Queepie is hanging out with Morris. But you never fond Morris so...

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #168

Jack in, LaZodiac, execute!

Zodi Streams: Mega Man Battle Network [1] Set Up!

Video Length: 3:52:53

Starting a new game stream. This time, Mega Man Battle Network! A lovely game I'm super nostalgic for, that I think everyone will enjoy. I know I did.

Special guest start the ever lovely and wonderful girlfriend of mine, Qwertystop. Give her a big hand (she is also why me posting this VOD is late, naturally).

19. - Top - End - #169

Observation I forgot from last time.

In the promotional materials for Psychonauts 2 it was mentioned that part of the game would be Raz learning what terms like "boyfriend" and "girlfriend" really mean... But his relationship with Lilli kind of takes a back seat. Most of her scenes in the game are optional and easily misible.

So you'd think they lied... Until you recall that pretty much all of Ford's mental world's are representations of the high points and low points of his relationship with Lucy. The love they feel for each other, the turmoil within Ford when Lucy was in trouble, and the extreme lengths he was willing to go to to help her, and guilt that he couldn't do more or do better.

And Helmut's mind and Bob's mind both have a great deal of focus on the romance between Bob and Helmut as well...

Between those minds, Raz probably learned quite a lot about how that kind of relationship works.
    So... When it comes to battle NEtwork I've only ever seen the Anime. I legitly don't know what form that is from what specific game in this subseries, but I know that "your vpet is literally alive and fully sapient" is a cool concept. I also knowsome major lore stuff from assimilation.

And as far as I know literally the only difference between this timeline and the orignal Megaman timeline is "Doctor Light's AI research was done for its own sake rather than the sake of better robots which led to a boom in computers and internet technology."

And yes, two LaZodiacs... The question is, which one is the Western LaZodiac and which one the Eastern LaZodiac?

...Zodi, do you have any knights? You know, Knights of LaZodiac?

Oh God, the first thing you have to do in the game is get up and go to school... Gonna be honest, while some games with a "school" plot can be fun video games are about escapism.

And comments made the zodiac joke already.

My Eastern zodiac sign is the Rooster. It's very easy to look up since it corresponds to years instead of the position of the sun in relation to constellations on a vaguely monthly basis

Though, bit of side trivia: The Eastern zodiac doesn't just cycle through the 12 animals, but also five elements—wood, fire, earth, metal, water every two years Not only was I born in the year of the Rooster, I was born in the year of the Water Rooster.

I'm a sea chicken...

My eastern zodiac sign is tuna.

By sheer confidence, my Western Zodiac Sign, Cancer, is also a water sign by the western zodiac's internal logic, and Water signs in the Eastern Zodiac are described as being the same was as cancers are commonly described. The actual base Rooster description is way the hell off for me though.

Lan hid test answers in his room? Wow, Lan's kind of a twerp.

And yes, right after you get up in the morning is a little early to go to bed. You've got to at least eat breakfast and take a bath first.

You know how in Terminator 2 teenage Punk John Conor had that thing he could pug into machines and it hacked them for him? He used it to rob an ATM and then much later to bust through a door? That. That's Lan's secret tool.

...Someday, Zodi... Someday, when the stars align just right, MegaMan Volnutt will be released from his orbiting Lunar Prison and we will finally get Legends 3.

Also, MegaMan 11 was basically just "a bunch of calls forwards to X and Zero" so...

MegaMan.Exe is especially like a person becuase as one of the main characters he actually gets development instead of being a satellite for someone else and that's the only reason.

In the original series Light and Wily both did Robots, they just had different goals: Light wanted to make robots with humanlike intelligence—the capacity for free will, the ability to learn and grow beyond their programming. Becuase the Terminator Franchise doesn't exist in this universe, Light's research was funded but Wiley's was passed over.

Note: Doctor Light in the main timeline technically never actually fulfilled his goal while alive—Protoman possessed true free will and ability to grow, but only becuase of a defect that was slowly killing him and that Light couldn't replicate. All of the other Robot Masters could learn and make decisions, but their personalities were hardcoded and they couldn't act against their programming even if they tried(see Megaman just up and trying to execute Wiley at the end of one game and physically being unable to becuase Light programmed all of his robots to never hurt humans.)

X had true free will, including being able to act against programmed behaviors and grow as a person... He even has a soul, but Light was long dead by the time that X activated so he never saw if X was a success or not.

Wily's research wasn't originally elaborated on but 11 eventually clarified that Wily originally wanted to create a world wherein an emergency, any robot could step in and be a hero and so created the "Duel Gear" system that would allow a robot that had it installed in it to overclock their own systems to either massively increase their speed or the amount of power the could output, or if absolutely necessary both, in order to deal with an emergency.

However,this puts a lot of strain on the system of the robot and could lead to damage, which resulted in the board providing funding dismissing Wily's creation out of hand becuase they apparently ignored the "for emergencies" part.

Afterward, Wily smashed his prototype and stewed in his anger so long that... Well, I don't think I need to explain the rest. He didn't touch the duel gear system for years until MM11.

And... No, turns out that the Duel Gear system is much better tech than Robot Masters if you put it in a bot that can handle the strain. Dr. Light needs to repair Wily's prototype(which he saved becuase he felt bad that Wily was overlooked... Which is also why he keeps falling for it when Wily pretends to be reformed) and install it in Rock just to have a chance and when Wily points out that he only lost this time becuase light used his tech against him... Light fully admits it. "I could only bring out MegaMan's full potential by using your Duel Gear system... Or inventions complement each other well... We can still work together if you still beleive in your dream of robot heroes" and at this point, Wily is too far gone to take the chance at genuine redemption when t's freely offered.

(Of note, the way the overclock features manifest in Rock are virtually identical to abilities that X has by default, and simply having the duel gear system installed seems to upgrade Rock's Weapon Generation system—in addition to copying an enemy's primary weapon, he also copies their secondary weapons and to an extent their armor. The implication is that X's infinite capacity to improve his hardware and software is the result of Light continuing to experiment with the Duel Gear system on his own and further integrating it with his own technology.)

It makes the entire classic series really sad... But at the same time makes the fact that Zero, Wily's ultimate creation, and not X, Light's, was the ultimate Hero of the X-Era timeline sort of... Heartwarming in hindsight. Wily achieved his orignal dream of creating robotic heroes despite turning against it.

You've never had sink pie, Zodi?

Gonna be honest, if what I've heard of this subseries is accurate, WarGreymon is probably drastically underselling what .Exe is capable of. He'd maybe be Omnimon Mercy Mode. You know, the only good thing to come out of Tri.

...so Lan's mom cooks with battle chips?

Lan, you always have to walk to school together because Mayl wants you.

...So Mayl's Navi is this game's version of Roll... Who in the anime at least is presented as a love interest for Megaman... But the original Rock and Roll were siblings. Like, everything other than the classic series makes the Rock and Roll analogs romantic partners instead of siblings and I think that's weird.

Also, how does MegaMan.Exe know so much about... Like, he was literally just installed. Did he come preprogrammed with all the information about Lan's life?

You know, if the ovens can spit fire... The fact that that's physically possible in the first place tells me that that's more of a hardware problem than a software problem.

I see that their school is just an open set of cubicles floating in the ocean.

...Wait, this is elementary school?

All that invisible graffiti on the blackboard.

Is the living forehead supposed to be angry and arrogant or does she just have resting bitch face? Like, I vaguely remember that character design from the anime but she didn't look super angry all the time.

...That cellphone line aged very poorly. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the next iPhone doesn't actually have a phone in it becuase you can just use the internet connection to video call people on your contacts list.

...How does Ego the Living Foforehead know about Megaman. He was literally just installed like a few minutes ago. Did an automatically generated status update go to everyone in Lan's contact list? Lan installed a custom NetNavi: Megaman.Exe

Like, in the anime at least a point was made that Lan was kind of well known for using a generic sentient starter Navi becuase he promised he woulnd't make one till his father sent him the data for a custom one but... Here there's nothing like that.

So like... This is elementary school, they're fifth grade... So like, ten or eleven?

So why is the army automatized through the internet? Why don't they like... Have a private network for exactly this reason.

Also, I don't think viruses work that way.

He's not a muppet man Zodi. A Muppet man is three Muppets standing on top of each other in a trenchcoat. He's just a Muppet.

Dex looks like... Not good. That is... that is peak "fat ugly idiot" character design. Though he does have a point in that netbattling doesn't bother anyone... Unless it causes collateral damage to the school's local portion of the net, which might actually be posisble.

"Class, today we're learning how to deal with viruses. I've deliberately infected the school's mainframe, so plug in your devices and clean my mess."

And the school's mainframe is literally just the classroom but digital and...

This isn't the Digimon of Megaman, it's the Yu-Gi-Oh of Megaman. The entire world revolves around a children's fad.

Gotta use chips, no default Megabuster here... Which means that if your the poor kid who can't afford good chips you're kinda screwed in this school.

"Okay students, in this lesson your fully sapient best friend cold actually ****ing die if you screw up." My god, this school is a nightmare.

Oh, you do have a megabuster it just kind of sucks.

Class is like five minutes of a lesson that, if you fail, will destroy your fully sapient personal property? And I thought American public schools were bad.

No, seriously, why are the ovens physically capable of spitting fire? That seems like an intentional design flaw.

Oh God... Mandatory Manual saves. At least you don't have to find savepoints.

Latest version... Is Gutsman a mass-produced Navi rather than a custom unit? I mean, I noticed that the generic classmates had the same Navi as their same-gendered counterparts but I assumed that was becuase They're generic sprites... Or maybe just the generic nonsapient Navis...

If you can mass-produce the same one that kind of makes the concept less special.

And yeah, you just fricking murdered Gutsman. Deleted him. Now Assimilate his code into your own to become stronger. Becuase this is MegaMan and he has to copy other people's powers somehow.

He's a sore loser, but of course, he is, you just erased his friend that he just bought the latest version of from existence.

...Okay, in all seriousness, maybe he means he downloaded a patch for the base underlying NetNavi program that sort of upgraded Gutsman and he just phrased it wrong? Or the latest version of a combat algorithm? A sort of Gutsman 2.0? Or whatever the version number is are.

And I mean, it would be natural to think that would guarantee a win. Not like MegaMan is built from the ground up to be the best possible Navi by an industry insider or anything. Or any other reasons why he might be better than a normal Navi.*shifty eyes*

And it's been maybe 20 minutes tops since he was installed and your dad already has a massive upgrade for him.

Old Man, if you have to prove that you're not senile, you might be a touch senile.

The man who went to the park instead of work knows what h's talking about Zodi.

The forehead that ate Chicago is eight and skipped a grade...

Which means that... The average fifth grader in this town is 9?

Also, the fact that "I'm still only eight" came immediately after "so you're interested in me" is uh... Yeah. I don't know if that was on purpose but it says bad things about where her thought process was going.

...You can get chips by fighting? So the chips aren't even actual chips, they're just... Data?

Unfortunately, weird generic muppet boy, this isn't the legends era of the classic timeline so people are not machines and this can't be interfaced with.

Why is there a virus in your security system? Why is that connected to the net?

...If you're the watchdog then what's the other guy, random program sitting in the corner?

And that is obviously the guy who somehow makes ovens breathe fire and AND SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FRICK A VIRUS COULD ONLY DO THAT IF THE OVEN COULD DO THAT ALREADY!

Either the people who made this game don't know how the internet works and think that hacking is magic... Which would be really weird for people who make software, or seriously someone made ovens that can breathe fire for some inexplicable reason.

And the fact that he uploads the virus directly into your house in person means that the house is wireless but not connected to the Internet which raises the question of how are their viruses in your security system? Why is that connected to the net when the house isn't and...?

The rich girl's partner is a solid gold bishi. That checks out.

...Okay, you are clearly p to something and Qwerty clearly knows what that is? I swear to god if I get jump scared becuase this is a hacked emulation simulating a Cursed Game CreepyPasta that I will brave the frozen white north to give you a piece of my mind in person.

"Lan sees a hyperlink to the dark web and thinks 'we'll check that out later.'"

So wait, how do you get money from busting viruses?

Stopping an hour and five in because I probably shouldn't stay up all night three weekends in a row. More thoughts when I have them.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #170

Mega Man Thoughts
    So, some outside context; Mega Man was not "just installed" and I'm not sure where you got that from. Lan's had Mega Man from birth, roughly. Dex mentions he "just got the newest model" for Gutsman, but later in the series they establish Gutsman is a custom made Navi that Dex hand crafted, not one of the generic store models like the NPC navis. The best explanation is that Dex just got a new rig for Gutsman's body-frame, for him to make him look (and be) bulkier, or something along those lines.

Yai, the girl with a seven-head, has a netnavi butler. It's pretty cool. Lan is apparently intended to be 11 years old, so yeah Yai skipped a bunch of grades.

Whatever the special surprise is, I can assure you it's nothing bad.

Chips and money are data that are processed into your bank account and chip folder. Chips are physical objects, but how they actually interact with Mega Man implies that once chip data is loaded the physical chip doesn't really matter cause it is now inside Mega Man's weaponry folder. Money is likely just digital fiat currency that can be printed from ATMs and the like.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

So, some outside context; Mega Man was not "just installed" and I'm not sure where you got that from. Lan's had Mega Man from birth, roughly. Dex mentions he "just got the newest model" for Gutsman, but later in the series they establish Gutsman is a custom made Navi that Dex hand crafted, not one of the generic store models like the NPC navis. The best explanation is that Dex just got a new rig for Gutsman's body-frame, for him to make him look (and be) bulkier, or something along those lines.

Yai, the girl with a seven-head, has a netnavi butler. It's pretty cool. Lan is apparently intended to be 11 years old, so yeah Yai skipped a bunch of grades.

Whatever the special surprise is, I can assure you it's nothing bad.

Chips and money are data that are processed into your bank account and chip folder. Chips are physical objects, but how they actually interact with Mega Man implies that once chip data is loaded the physical chip doesn't really matter cause it is now inside Mega Man's weaponry folder. Money is likely just digital fiat currency that can be printed from ATMs and the like.
    In the anime (which is all Rater knows of the series), Mega Man was new in the first episode, and the relevant spoiler thing which in the games would heavily conflict with that just isn't a thing.

My preferred read on how chips are physical things that can also be acquired purely digitally is that A: Lan has a bunch of blank memory chips that he saves chip data onto, B: the folder is a literal small folder/pouch, and C: the random-draw nature of things is because Lan literally just grabs a few to slot in without looking, from which Mega Man then selects several according to code.

Oh, incidentally: the anime covers elements from all six mainline games in the series, but only approximately at best, and the farther it goes the more it's just a completely different story and version of the setting with a lot of character overlap, or sometimes even just character-design overlap.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2021-12-05 at 11:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #172

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    In the anime (which is all Rater knows of the series), Mega Man was new in the first episode, and the relevant spoiler thing which in the games would heavily conflict with that just isn't a thing.

My preferred read on how chips are physical things that can also be acquired purely digitally is that A: Lan has a bunch of blank memory chips that he saves chip data onto, B: the folder is a literal small folder/pouch, and C: the random-draw nature of things is because Lan literally just grabs a few to slot in without looking, from which Mega Man then selects several according to code.

Oh, incidentally: the anime covers elements from all six mainline games in the series, but only approximately at best, and the farther it goes the more it's just a completely different story and version of the setting with a lot of character overlap, or sometimes even just character-design overlap.
    Oh! I didn't know that at all, neat!

I kinda figured that too, but it really speaks to how... not good an operator Lan is if he does that. But that's probably the most likely result!

23. - Top - End - #173

the opening scene was a little confusing and I might have been subconsciously adding information from the anime adaption, where MegaMan was a huge file that Lan downloaded into his PET in the first episode.

Though admittedly, that makes a hell of a lot more sense in context.

On Gutsman... Maybe Dex meant that he transferred Gutsman into a new model of PET? A better OS.
    Mega Man was new in the first episode, and the relevant spoiler thing which in the games would heavily conflict with that just isn't a thing.
    I mean it was kind of a thing, just not explicit. They never come out and say it but if you're paying attention to a few key moments you can probably infer it. Granted I'm speaking from hindsight
    Please tell me that the "some internet beings can literally open portals to and from the internet and just live in earl space without issue, also the internet starts leaking into the real world in places so Lan has to actually fuse with MegaMan to fight viruses and hostile Navis in the real world" part is in the games. That was probably the dumbest thing but it's also the coolest thing and it would ahve basically set up the plot of starforce.
    And back in.

"Let's go see if Mom has finished making us a snack" is a really weird phrasing considering that MegaMan is an AI who doesn't exist in physical space and thus can't actually eat anything that Lan's Mom makes.

Cheezy Poofs... Oh God this takes place in the same world as South Park. The Big Bad is gonna be a grown-up Cartman who got his crap together and got a computing degree but is still a murderous sociopath. He's trying to take over the world becuase someone reminded him of that time his high-tech trapper keeper had to be destroyed in order to stop a Skynet scenario and he's decided that if he doesn't get cool AI toys then no one does.

Oh look, the over caught fire somehow even though there should be no way in hell that a virus could do that...

Why is the oven a full-fledge computer? Why can't Lan jack in from the control panel like... Like the obviously evil guy did?

...the boss of the viruses... Becuase viruses have bosses... Is creating the fire... In the real world. There is nothing actually wrong with the oven, the virus is just making fire inside it.

God damn it the internet doesn't work that way.

Why would the thawing section of the oven have ice block data... Why would thawing be a separate function... I feel like DBZA Doctor Gero yelling at Android 19 except I'm not a senile old man responsible for all the design flaws myself.

How does MegaMan know what WWW's data signature is? Why do they even have a data signature, it would be easier to track them.

"We're being delated... Without having to fight a virus or anything, making the entire existence of your combat subroutines superfluous MegaMan. Programs can be deleted without combat."

...Yeah, not having a dedicated virus-busting program in literally everything that's inexplicably connected to the net seems like another intentional design flaw. This oven was made by the people who make PETs and intentionally designed this way to force people to customize their NetNavis with combat routines and buy battle chips. That's also why there are no security programs wandering the net constantly busting viruses and wh your security system has viruses.

The ice block puzzle seems intentionally frustrating.

Oh No, MegaMan was still inside when the explosion pushed you back so now he's trapped in the Oven because of Raisins.

What posisble reason could panel repairman have for outing himself right now? To a random kid of all people?

Did he just fight a fire with a super-soaker?

How did putting out the fire in the real world put out the fire in the oven's digitalized inertial blah blah? The...

So this game is Tien. The stuff it's saying about how all this works in the Shin Kikoho... and I'm Semi-Perfect Cell.

If MegaMan says Roger Roger, I'm out.

Oh yeah, that's an electrical fire... In an electrical device. Not only should Lan be dead, so should Megaman and all the programs in the oven.

God damn it FireMan, don't say your human partner's name... Also, if the oven explodes with you in it won't you die?

In the Anime, FireMan was called TorchMan for some reason.

How did a kid and his Puny Navi defeat HeatMan? It can't possibly be that Megaman was custom designed by an industry insider and is constantly receiving massive upgrades for reasons.

I can't help but think that if the plan was to steal a specific program from ovens that making the ovens explode or spitfire would be counter productive.

Also...Couldn't they just buy ovens, or seal them from a warehouse? Or was it specifically a program in this specific oven that they needed, in which case why target everyone else's oven first?

I think this game might be bad, you guys.

And the fire is miraculously out with no damage.

SoI looked it up, Lan's 11.

And MegaMan... Lan's 11. don't say "only the first time you fought them." He's too young to be fighting terrorists.

...Everything is connected to the internet, everything can be hacked, you have to buy specific software to be able to regularly use your stuff safely, and there are cyberterrorists everywhere...

This is a cyberpunk game.

Yes MegaMan, Lan is hungry. Humans need food to sustain themselves.

But seriously Lan, bad timing. The house almost burned down.

And... Play a bit and then go to bed at like eight in the morning?

So are the generic NPCs the same couple of mass-produced programs that all escaped into real space.

...Everything... Oh God, has anyone in this world drowned becuase someone hacked their bathtub? Has anyone been eaten by a hacked toilet? Becuase if viruses and NEtNavis can do what they did with the oven then there are no rules and we've already established that this game shares a universe with South Park.

Yai hunted the rare endangered Giant Pikachu The Data region to extinction just so she could have a skin rug. Because that's what rich people do.

Also, I think that's a Goron head mounted on her wall. In addition to the Legends references, Capcom's throwing a lot of spite at Nintendo here.

...So Yai's house looks like a mansion but it's literally just a hallway, a sitting room, and her bedroom. Does... Does she live alone?

You just stole money out of the rich girl's phone.

Why are there viruses in the phone!? Why is the phone that looks like an antique land-line connected to the internet!

So you basically just stole money and a battle chip from the rich girl's family.

So my experience with MegaMan was, in order, a single episode the Ruby-Spears cartoon on a channel I could never find again, watching some friends play one of the MegaMan X games while visiting their house, and then renting Legends. all in the single digits age.

I was so fricking confused and then when the Net Battle anime started airing I was just like "oh, it's all alternate continuities. Gotcha." I didn't learn the true nature of the various timelines until...

Like the first half of the StarForce Anime aired as one continuous movie on Toonami as a special event and then I started looking stuff up becuase it was too similar to what I saw of the Net BAttle anime.

Robot vs Robot Master is not same difference Zodi. Basic robots just do what they're programmed to do. Robot Masters are capable of making decisions on their own to an extreme but limited extent while also legitimately learning and, to a limited extent, growing as people.

It's like comparing modern Homo s sapiens to austrolopithicus.

So Rich Girl's homepage/slash personal computer is a literal portrait, and Mayle's is a piano, and... Why. Why all this?

What does Mayl think about you coming into her house, poking around, then jacking into her piano/PC and stealing a battle chip from it?

One of the pillow/rugs is a bunny head, the other is its butt.

Why is the random toy connected to the internet?

And the GameCube is connected to the internet.

...Turning on the lights and not sitting too close to the TV isn't true?

Red Face from playing video games for an hour isn't normal Zodi.

Lan's just stealing money and battle chips from his friend's devices, He's kind of a ****ty friend.

Dex is never gonna upgrade Gutsman, is he?

Or he is, but it'll be after you get that massive fricking upgrade from Lan's dad so the gulf between MegaMan and Gutsman will be even bigger despite any upgrade Dex could posibly get his hands on...

Oh my god. Lan is the guy on the playground who says "my dad works at Nintendo and blah blah blah this is what's happening in the game that's coming out" except instead of being a lying little crap making up rumors his Dad is actually a guy working on developing this stuff so Lan has stuff that isn't gonna be on the market for years.

This is a very dystopian game if you think about it from the programs' perspectives.

Lan slept for several days? I don't know if I'm concerned for his well-being or jealous of his ability to super-nap.

You just stole a battle chip from the school nurse what the hell.

And just... Seriously, not only does Lan have the best possible Navi custom-designed by industry insider computer genius dad and regularly upgraded by the same, he also just flat-out steals other people's battle chips.

Lan, your classes are like five minutes long, stop dawdling.

Lan's seat is n the first row and there are like nine students in that class. He never should have been able to sneak in, they would have known right away.

...How is lan walking in roller skates?

It's your hobby and literally everyone elses', Higsby...

And I'm gonna have to finish later because reasons.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

O, hey, Battle Network! Wonder if this means we'll eventually get around to Star Force.

...wow, okay, right off the bat, I'm realizing just how much of Star Force was a homage to the Battle Network stuff. (I promise that not all my comments will be about Star Force! That's just my only reference point!)

Anyways, not much specifically to comment on, besides, yeah, I can see where it all started. The mechanics and the inherent silliness in some of the plot.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

25. - Top - End - #175

Oh hey, the day the weird new guy shows up is the day the terrorists try to brainwash a bunch of little kids. Ain't that quit the coinkydink?

Here's a password that you probably don't even need to double-check once we give you the hint.

Here's a password you can easily find and... So weren't those doors locked earlier? Did unlocking the virtual door automatically unlock the real door?

Here's a password where the hint is to go screw yourself. This one seems incredibly frustrating.

This level appears to be absolute hell.

Somehow Lan is able to help Megaman in the physical world and I just noticed that he's not jacked in despite how the last level showed Lan unable to talk to Megaman when the oven exploded and they got unjacked.

Why would exactly one computer being frozen affect MegaMan... When he's in the Network, not one specific computer?

This is the second time in less than half a week where I've heard the phrase "is girl" used to describe someone. Discussion of a Fanfic idea someone had of a word where Norville "Shaggy" Rogers is the grandson of Steve Rogers led to someone linking an hour-long video describing the ideal version of each member of Mystery Inc.

I was about to say that if that huge ball had a jack in port...

By the way, I've done some reading into the series and I'm pretty sure I know what the secret is. Need to see more first though.

Higsby is an addict. He's addicted to collecting chips and those WWW bastards took advantage of that.

I can't help but notice that enemy Navis can all do things that Megaman can't without seeming to use chips.

Like, we had the whole conversation about rare chips and he doesn't seem to use any. Unless he just has a hell of a lot of the same three chips.

Another sentient life form murdered by this child. Three for three now. Eat the remains MegaMan, you need to get stronger because your unique power kinda sucks. MegaMan? Me~egaMan...?

.Exe kind of sucks at this whole MegaMan thing. He uses the basic battle chip thing, but everyone can do this and only some chips are related to the defeated enemy. The only other MegaMan who doesn't have a unique (semi)permanent upgrade based on defeated enemies is Volnut and he makes up for it by having a unique dedicated, expandable, and upgradable arsenal. What does .Exe have? Nothing until halfway through the nextgame.

He tried to brainwash and enslave children Zodi. That's kinda bad. And implicitly he did more than try with other schools.

Considering you need to take the metroline to see Dr. Hikari, the most probable explanation is that he is living and working in a separate town and only comes home when he has enough time off work that he can actually spend time with his family to a meaningful degree. Why come home if you barely have time to eat a rushed dinner before having to head right back if you want to be on time in the morning.

I hear that's not too uncommon in Japan, actually.

Qwerty here's nothing wrong with setting things on fire. Did you know that there is a large correlation between people who set things on fire and people who end up being various types of scientists and engineers?

*Here's story* See? Exactly! It only technically worked, but to paraphrase a talking dog voiced by the guy who voiced Bender, sucking at engineering is the first step to being kind of good at engineering.

...And now I'm thinking about how you'd actually go about making bacon pancakes. Would you beleive I've never actually watched Adventure Time? I know the bacon pancake thing, "floop the pig," that Finn and Jake keep getting reincarnated and that one of Finn's previous incarnations was a green chick, the song "I'm Just Your Problem," the Ice King's backstory, that there are a disturbing number of severed arms for a kids show, that Marceline's father was an *******, and that Marceline and Bubblegum were a couple in the backstory and end up being a couple again by the time the show ends.

But that's just from Osmosis.

And as that tangent demonstrates, everybody gets weird thoughts in their heads that lead to weird places. Nothing to feel bad about.

Zodi, out of curiosity what kind of sandwich was that? I'm very fond of pepperoni, hard salami, and provolone either straight up or as a melt myself. And one time in high school I did pepperoni, roast beef, and sliced roast chicken on toasted sourdough with honey barbecue sauce and shredded cheddar.

Apparently inside games Mr. Match cycles through them.

And apparently, FlameMan and FireMan are technically the same Navi?

HeatMan's a separate character though...

Which is the exact opposite of the anime.

Don't forget the beauty of a flower... Until we figure out how to connect that to the internet too.

So interesting story: When I was in the first grade, my class was learning about metamorphosis by rasing various animals that metamorphosized.

We didn't get to study frogs becuase the tadpoles ate each other.

"Keep up the good work fighting terrorists, eleven-year-old student of mine!"

Why are the breaks in the car a program! And the accelerator... There's no reason for that to not be manual! And... The car should stop moving eventually if you take your foot off the accelerator Not just keep going forever. This is a terrible design.

And why is the car connected to the Internet? That's the only probable way it can have viruses...

Unless all the devices are designed to create viruses on their own...

The principal is gonna be one of the bad guys.

So... Is the town anthem of ACDC town for For Those About To Rock?

...Seriously, this game ranges from apathetic to optimistic about things that would honestly be horrifying and dystopian IRL.

Like, the computers running the metroline should not be accessible by the internet. They should thus not be susceptible to viruses, and if they need to be for some reason they should have top-of-the-line heavy-duty malware protection for exactly this reason.

I think I've made it clear in other threads that I occasionally fantasize about traveling to fictional realities in order to approaite their resources to become immortal and/or a dragon? What I've learned from this playthrough so far is that I need to go to a Digimon universe, become a Bio-Hybrid, then come to this universe, assume my digital form, enter the net, and feed on viruses until I have enough malignant code composing my being that I become a ZeedMilleniumon.

Literally everything is connected to the internet so I could easily travel the globe through the Net and nobody would ever be able to catch or stop me because the only way these people have to deal with malware and other hostile programs is to have their virtual pets beat it up.

And apparently the ghosts of NetNavis that the protagonist murders are also on the menu.

And while doing an awful mission, you run into the ghost of FireMan back for revenge. Make sure he stays dead this time.

...Well, I suppose trapping him in a chip so you can use him as a weapon is better than nothing.

...How! You tapped him in a battle chip. He's your slave now. How did he escape already?

Are there just an infinite number of copies of FireMan floating out on the net all independently hunting down MegaMan for revenge?

And... There's no user for Fireman here, right? These aren't Chips, those are just... Hist powers... Despite the fact that at least one of them is also a chip.

So why is MegaMan stuck with just a megabuster unless he uses a chip?

You get charge when you hit the caps for everything else.

I feel called out by the contents of Lan's drawer.

So... Gutsman has been deleted twice in the last week... Is he the same Gustman? The same continuous entity, or is he just a copy with only knowledge up to his most recent backup and then nothing until that backup is activated? Is this Gutsman back from the dead or did MegaMan murder murder him for sport and this is just a cloned duplicate?

Like, minor spoilers I know that souls exist in this world but do Navis have souls and if so does this Gutsman have the same soul as the one you killed earlier?

Or does Dex have a program that scans the net for Ghosts of Gutsman and recompile them back into the Gutsman that you murdered?

Okay, honestly, having your ghost slave sucker-punch Gutsman was hardly sporting.

Is there a program advance for using three shockwaves?

Why wouldn't fire sword be that long? The chip is loaded with the data of a virus tht used a fire sword that was that long.

Part of me thinks that it's narratively bad that there are two WWW plots happening on the same day... But realistically why wouldn't they have multiple agents working on multiple plots simultaneously? It's really only that Lan runs into two on the same day.

You're gonna get swarmed by ghosts of StoneMan now. All because .Exe kinda sucks at being a MegaMan.

Zodi, remember how FireMan was creating fire in the real world rather than it being a physical thing the ovens did and then defeating him put out the fires and there was no damage except the pie?

Same here with Stone Man.

And I bet the brainwashed kids all snapped to their senses when you murdered numberman.

...That old man just gave you an asterisk-coded recover 80 for a basic task... Also, he didn't clean his dentures before he put them in.

...Why was he wandering down the street instead of in the park looking?

Sword, Longsword, and Widesword I think are how Program Advance was introduced in the anime... except they made it sound like it was the only one and also treated it like a dangerous technique so that Lan and MegaMan had to train to use it properly so when they pulled out another one later it came out of nowhere and was vaguely confusing.

And MegaMan died trying to hack into a cash register to steal from the till. And for some reason, you can't just revive him from a backup like everyone else. And because no auto-save, you lost the super good flamey sword and have to commit two homicides all over again.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Like, we had the whole conversation about rare chips and he doesn't seem to use any. Unless he just has a hell of a lot of the same three chips.
    Look, you didn't think he'd use them, would you? They're for collecting, not using!

27. - Top - End - #177

Further assorted Mega Man thoughts.
    Since you asked; honey-ham on extra soft brizzolio (toasted like a monster) with marble cheese and ketchup.

28. - Top - End - #178

Incidentally, I just learned that there's apparently an official document out there that includes backstory information for most of the characters from the original psychonauts... Including Boyd's backstory in detail.

It hasn't been confirmed to be canon, but it was used as a reference document while writing and recording dialog and some of the information was reused in the sequels. (Other bits have been contradicted, however)

If Boyd's backstory as laid out in the document is canon than a lot of things that were off about the Milkman Conspiracy make a lot more sense.

(And everything about Oleander's backstory makes perfect sense with his characterization across all three games and ties his being rejected from the military for being too short back to his initial trauma from the bunny slaughter)
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-12-08 at 03:17 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #179

Stream! Right!

Zodi Streams: Mega Man Battle Network [2] That's Not How Cars Work

Video Length: 3:51:17

In yesterday's stream, we finished... two scenarios of the game, but they're pretty lengthy ones so it isn't that big of a surprise. We do fight a fair amount of navi's though, and most importantly we learn how cars work. Hope you all enjoy the VOD, I'll see you again perhaps tomorrow.

30. - Top - End - #180

It's kind of ****ed up that there's a PET bill. The PET contains thinking, feeling, sapient being. Even ignoring that you need a PET for everything and this basically means that once you're an adult you have to essentially pay a bill to a government-backed corporation just to exist and hey they basically are the economy...

Like... There's a spoiler thing that makes the idea of a PET being repossessed all kinds of horrifying.

Backtracking a bit... Sal is a member of an elite internet police task force in the anime.

Zodi, Zodi... Dr. Light Junior is a scientist. Science isn't about why, it's about why not? As noted last time, there's a strong correlation between people who are interested in science and people who like to start fires just to watch them burn.

Remember, he's the son of an alternate universe version of a man who built robots that had human emotions for the hell of it.

...Huh. A top-secret Navi developed with Human... something.

also, why the frick are there viruses in the top-secret lab's top-secret testing thingy?

Huh... Lan's dad has a picture of a family with more than one child? Interesting.

It's really freaking weird that .Exe doesn't actually get to Megaman until the sequels.

Aha! Scilab's does manufacture viruses. There must be "virus machines" hidden in an inaccessible part of every device they manufacture in order to drive up demand for combat programming and battle chips. That's also why Battle Chips have codes, to force you to buy multiple copies.

...So I can't help but feel like if you wanted to, you could have ground for zenny and maxed out on power-ups and health memories from a net merchant by now. That's honestly kind of a letdown when it comes to upgrades.

My God, Lan slept for a month?

MegaMan isn't just a computer, he's a computer programmed to have human-like intelligence and emotions. That means he has human flaws.

Why does the waterworks not have firewalls? Computers to monitor crap there make sense, but they should not be internet accessible.

Ms. Mari you don't need water to teach and if all the kids are in one place you can monitor them and make sure they don't overexert themselves and dehydrate faster. This is a bad plan.

Like, seriously, if you were gonna cancel a class you should have sent an email instead of waiting for everyone to show up.

Teaching is one of those jobs where they're mandatory unpaid overtime, so coffee is essential because they ain't getting no sleep.

The chip trader seems like a scam.

Why do viruses have types like Pokemon?

Higsby is clearly taking all the good chips out of the shipments for his own collection.

I can't help but think that, since all chips have a direct practical value, that the ten chips you traded, even though they're relatively common chips you got from virus busting, are probably collectively worth more than the one you got. Unless that chip is literally unique. Higsby is clearly reselling those chips you put in the machine at full mark up.

Bass.exe is more of a Megaman than Megaman.exe ever will be and that's fricking sad.

rule of thumb: If the water looks clean that's becuase nothing's living in it. In the case of a river... Maybe ask yourself why nothing's living it. always boil and filter any scavenged water.

Okay, how does a computer thingy solve a clog?

...How is milk connected to water?

In the anime, there are certain locations, such as NetCity, where the use of battle chips is restricted or outright prohibited unless you have a special license as part of a Navi's code and Netbattling is strictly monitored. .exe's comment about Net-Cops being able to battle anywhere is probably a similar circumstance.

Lan is gonna do so much crime by the end of this game, you guys.

Gonna be honest, the ID cards working on any elevator is one hell of a security risk.

why does that water cooler look like a vending machine that dispenses cigarettes?

Actually, while I'm at it, they say to only smoke in the smoking sections in these buildings but there are no barriers between them and no sign of increased ventilation so there might as well not be a designated smoking section, everybody's breathing that crap in regardless.

Yeah, nobody asks any questions about why a kid is there. I guess they're just assuming you're up there with the guy you know is the rival becuase his design is meant to be cooler than yours.

Like, realistically Lan would be in so much trouble for interfering with what is effectively a police investigation. If an eleven-year-old can be a cop then an eleven-year-old can totally go to for-real jail for this kind of thing. Between that and all of the theft he's been committing... Yeah, Lan's kind of a not-good person.

Oh, finally, someone notices that a kid shouldn't be there...That looks like a Unique sprite, he's a WWW agent.

Big heal early on means you'll need them.

Why is the suction a program? Why isn't it just an analog pump? My god, these people are stupid.

And now you find out that the government complex is haunted.

Why is the water cooler connected to the internet!?

Look out Zodi, it's the ghost of a teenager!

No MegaMan, you're not going home, becuase that would be sensible.

...So, why didn't Lan just access the Net from his dad's terminal?

The name Protoman makes no goddamn sense in this context. In the classic series, Blues was the prototype for Rock and Roll, and through them literally every other Robot Master. And, by extension, X and the reploids. Go far enough and it even includes Volnutt and the Carbons—he is the ancestor of all synthetic life. So Protoman makes sense as a localized name.

Here? Here he's just a random guy. They should have just left his name Blues.

...Or, not. It's kind of weird to call him Blues considering that his default weapon is a sword and he has a long flowing mullet of power. He's clearly meant to be invoking Zero, so... why didn't Capcom just call him Zero? Then localization wouldn't have to saddle him with a name that makes no goddamn sense.

(I know there's a Zero in the spinoff games, but... Made after this.)

...did Chaud just threaten police brutality?

Yeah, he did.

And Lan has gone over 12 hours without water.

Ah crap, it's Pennywise. Told you this place was haunted, but it's worse than I thought.

...Wouldn't fireman be weak against fishy?

I guess it doesn't matter.

Zodi, when life gives you lemons you make lemonade. When life gives you lemonade straight up, you find someone whose life is giving them vodka and have a party.

That was two viruses, MegaMan

Also, Lan is about to send MegaMan a chip I don't actually think you have.

So where the Hell is Chaud in all of this? Where's Blues? Shouldn't they have gotten here before you, they've had a significant head start.

Oh, hey, I think you made it worse? Though, admittedly, I don't think you can be blamed for people drinking the stuff. Thats obviously a bad idea

..how did Chuad get your number?

So, though... the river water isn't safe to drink, but it doesn't look like that. So... Is the bugged filtration system dumping pollutants back into the water?

Huh, the kid from ACDC town as last seen in ACDC town?

That's kind of a leap doncha think MegaMan? I mean, you're probably right but...

So in the anime, this scenario was backward: The kid's dad was kidnapped to make the kid do a bad thing.

To be fair Zodi, in the absence of evidence linking the two occurrences, the fact that the entire city has no water is a bigger deal than one missing kid. Needs of the many and all that.

In the anime, the kid had a unique design.

Ah, you mention it. And have a bit of a Froidian slip, methinks?

Why does Froid jr have that program?

I don't like that Pennywise isn't there when you come back.

Sponges are actually very patient.

You did it for the lawls Zodi... But no, that doesn't seem worth it.

Here we're dropping major lore in a weird way. Also, Chaud doesn't seem to be very good at his job, he seems like a shoot first ask questions never type.

There is literally no reason for this boss fight to happen. It's literally as simple as shouting "Your kid's safe!"

Wow, Iceman respawned fast after you done murdered him.

And Blues is about to be murdered by Pennywise.

Pennywise is partnered with the ghost teen!

...So I guess the internet is just magic in this universe? If there's literally a program to make water taste good?

Gotta show up that 11-year-old actual Cop.

So how come Yai didn't find the kid locked in the conspicuous car?

Are they failing, Dr. Wiley? It's been pretty clear that most of this is just a cover to steal specific super programs, and people seem more occupied with the cover than the real operations.

They're losing to the small child becuase the small child's NetNavi is a custom job designed by an industry insider whose job is literally to make more and more advanced NetNavi programs and PET hardware, who is the successor of the guy who invented the technology, and who apparently regularly updates MegaMan with bleeding-edge technology.

Lan is the kid who gets the new console a month before everyone else because his dad works at Nintendo. It's honestly kind of unfair for him to compete with other people, he's basically showing up to games of flashlight tag with a spot-light.

Lightbulb man is on some kind of drugs.

...Do Navis manually deliver the mail?

I'm, gonna guess that this is a "but thou must" situation and you're not actually allowed to tell Mayl to go alone.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks