New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: For the Republic of Ishtar! (IC D&D 5E)

Emilia Brightsky
    Aasimar Conjurer
    AC: 13/16 HP: 58/58
    PP: 11 PIv: 19 PIs: 11
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Venetta
    Aasimar Tempest Cleric
    AC: 20 HP: 54/54
    PP: 17 PIv: 9 PIs: 17
    Leyla
    Aasimar Echo Knight
    AC: 20 HP: 70/70
    PP: 10 PIv: 9 PIs: 10
    Sunshine
    Celestial Tressym
    AC: 12 HP: 5/5
    PP: 15 PIv: 10 PIs: 11
    Features: Detect Invisibility, Keen Smell, & Poison Sense

"That sounds like the most agreeable compromise we're going to reach." Emilia replies with a nod to Marielle.

"Oh good, we are doing introductions afterall!" Leyla chimes in with a smile. "It's nice to make your acquaintances everyone. I'm Leyla Brightsky. Just a swordarm really. I'm more the nimble sort than the bruiser kind, as you can probably tell from my choice of armor."

"I am Venetta Brightsky, a cleric of Procan. I can handle myself in melee, and the spells I pray for are usually those of the keeping people in the fight and a little bit of healing. Due to the present circumstance, also a few more practical ones for a military situation. Please let me know if it would be advantageous to pray for different ones in the future though." Venetta adds in a rather matter-of-fact tone.

"And I am Emilia Brightsky. Primarily a conjurer, though I dabble in a few other areas. Miss Belle, we may wish to compare spells later to determine if either of us knows spells the other would wish to learn. Assuming we find the time and inks required to scribe new spells of course." Emilia says in a calm and maybe slightly self-satisfied way.

Emilia then turns to Leyla with a raised eyebrow, "Did Jack say his sergeants were named M and K?"
    Leyla nods and gives a shrug, "Yeah. Not really proper names are they?" and then frowns a bit.
    Emilia then gives a nod in agreement with her youngest sibling's sentiment.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2021-08-18 at 06:42 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

As the sun begins to wink out over the western horizon, a small army of burnt and bloated corpses rise to the call of service, creating an uneasy feeling about the camp. Many of the soldiers grip the pommels of their weapons and nervously rise up on the balls of their feet. Some become sick from the sight and back away to fresher air, or to expel the contents of their stomachs.

Regardless, divisions 6-8 seem content to grant your new reinforcements a wide berth. And with Jack's team heading up the trail, Divisions 1-5 embark on their quest, with the ill-fated watchtower slowly diminishing on the horizon.

The route takes you south by southeast, along the river bank, where there's plenty of prey to hunt and water to drink, and while marching, your army makes quite a noise tramping through the valley, which serves to keep the peace throughout the first week.

End of Week 1: Day 8 (Evening)

As you break camp and prepare for another night of marching, you hear a thunderclap in the distance. The ground begins to tremble as if the earth itself feared the oncoming storm. Yet there are scant few clouds in the dusky sky.

Spoiler: Jack and Belle
    Show
    Although the sound seems to be coming from all around, your experience and training have served you. Not unlike over an open battlefield, what you are hearing is a large number of clomping hooves. Perhaps they are mounted horsemen, or perhaps it is a stampede of some sort, but the sound is definitely coming from the east. If your army hurries south, they may miss you.

Spoiler: Emilia
    Show
    Unfortunately, you are too drained from the constant spell casting to make any sense of the rumbling. As far as you know, you may be dreaming all this.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Everybody hear that? Jack hisses over the rumbling. Loud enough to hear but not much louder. It means incoming. I'll bet a ration it's not gonna be bringing us goddies but it might not be hostile so no twitchy fingers. My lot and Keli's you know the drill, get around him. Let him mask you then we're heading south at pace, we're bringing up the rear. Everyone else? He says casting an eye about the clearing. I'd advise you do the same, or law low if you can. But we've got some people coming in fast.

With that, the order is for everyone in Jack's and Kelinar's units to form up close around Kelinar so he can cath them in a Pass without Trace. Then hurry south to the edge of whatever this is and there hide, with Jack and Kelinar doing the same 30ft further in and trying to catch a glance at whatever this is.

While they're hurrying, Kelinar remarks Great, send the druid away right before we fight mounts in the middle of a forest, truly Jack you're the wisest captain yet. Even through the tusks and helmet though, the well intentioned nature of the jab is audible.
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2021-08-25 at 12:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Colossus in the Playground

Belle looks to her seconds-in-command. "The usual, with unknown forces?"

"The usual," Laughter nods.

Gruk takes a moment to explain what this entails. "I'll be there, to offer succor and healing to any who need it. Laughter does the talking, usually-she's better with words than I am. And if things go south... Fireball from Belle at the hostiles."
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Brightsky
    Aasimar Conjurer

Venetta
    Aasimar Tempest Cleric
    Leyla
    Aasimar Echo Knight
    Sunshine
    Celestial Tressym

"Defensive positions." Emilia orders her troops. "Sunshine, go high and check that out for us will you?" she says to her winged cat familiar, saying the words aloud largely for the benefit of the others. As Sunshine goes, Emilia constantly switches back and forth between her senses being those of her body's and her familiar's.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

The nighttime marching was, perhaps unsurprisingly, generating a variety of opinions among Marielle's troops. Her sergeants had little trouble adjusting, despite Sonderson's complaints - out of earshot of the soldiers, of course - but the bulk of her forces were split on the approach, largely between those capable of seeing well in the dark and those unable. To ease the tension, and keep him occupied, Marielle had her bard entertain on the regular, maintaining morale at a reasonable level for now.

At Jack's words, Marielle glances at Serenity, who nods in confirmation: something's coming and it is not small. "Wil, ready the troops and move them back as reserve - be ready to cast whatever empowerments you feel appropriate." The half-elf nods and sets about his task with understated yet gregarious cheer. "Serenity, sweep wide and keep hidden. Get an idea of numbers and assist other companies as needed."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Jack and Kelinar, along with their troops, retreat south of the camp. Kelinar lights a mistletoe leaf and utters a short prayer until the leaf turns to ash. He blows out the final ember, and light blowing out the light of the predawn sky itself, shadows twist and expand until they cover the entire company in inky darkness.

Spoiler: Jack and Kelinar
    Show
    You skirt the source of the sound and see (coming in fast and frightened) a stampede of giant elk. Fortunately, your training grants you a near encyclopedic knowledge of the massive creatures. A single giant elk by itself is a bad enough omen. But a stampede (thought they're moving too quickly to count) can travel in herds as large as 200 strong. Anyone caught in their path will either be trampled or in for a fight for their lives.

Belle,Gruk, and Laughter hold their ground, unstable though it is. Trees shudder around them, and small rocks topple and bounce on the dirt at their feet. As the sound grows louder, you can just make out the silhouettes of something large... about the size of a Clydesdale, but with massive antlers tearing through the shadows of the brush and knocking over smaller trees like they were mere saplings. The leading row lowers its head and bellows out a deep bass warning as it clears a path toward the campsite defenders!

Sunshine shoots up into the sky!
    Spoiler: Emilia/Sunshine
    Show
    Emilia immediately senses her familiar's fear, colliding with the rushing sensation of flight. But acclimating to the sensation of being a flying Celestial Tressym one moment and a grounded Aassimar the next is nothing new to your senses anymore. Instead your free to focus on the details of this new reconnaissance mission. And what you discover are some 50-odd stampeding giant elk that are barrelling their way toward your campsite. A quick assessment suggests you could take on the impeding threat with minimal loss or injury and have enough meat from just a few of the bodies to feed the troops for the rest of the march, without the need to hunt. The bigger question is: what was capable of startling 50+ giant elk into a full stampede, and is it also on its way?

Serenity, according to her orders, sweeps wide, taking a northerly approach to perhaps glean info that the southern contingency cannot get. Meanwhile, Marielle and Wilfred rally the troops to the rear (east) of the camp and ready themselves for trouble.

Spoiler: Serenity
    Show
    The stampede clears the brush like elephants, but you recognize the moose-like shape and antlers as elk. But these are larger than any elk you've seen, and their posture and pace suggests they'll be entering the campsite with no intention to stop in mere seconds!

Kettles tumble over and trees shudder violently. Silhouettes take form in the direction of the oncoming threat and several loud, low bellows can be heard!
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

8. - Top - End - #38

"Halt now!" Belle calls to the oncoming creatures. "We do not wish to fight, but we will not hesitate to defend ourselves!"

Show
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

[IMG]
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...0tfmQ&usqp=CAU
    [/IMG]
    Dorvir
    Drow Artificer
    AC: 21 HP: 73/73
    PP: 11 PIv: 19 PIs: 15
    Conditions: -Horseback-

Raena May
    Halfdrow Monk
    AC: 18 HP: 51/51
    PP: 14 PIv: 9 PIs: 14
    Jaromir
    Human Paladin
    AC: 18 HP: 68/68
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 10
    Conditions: -horseback-

“RUN!” Dorvir and his generals yelled in unison. Ordering the troops to move with haste out of the way as they stood between them and the stampede. Dorvir and Jaromir were on horseback but did not flee, instead staying with the tailing end of their troops. They had no intention of fighting these creatures or the unnecessary loss of lives such a needless battle might cause.

Rae was fast, moving 45 ft before facing the oncoming heard and creating a sphere of pure darkness in line with the edge of the stamped, hoping to cause a small redirection and gain some valuable space. Next she vanished into the shadows and reappeared beside her fleeing troops.

Jaromir, on the back of Snowrazor, wished these beautiful majestic creatures no harm. While his mount carries him and Dorvir beside the troops, he focused on his people, calling orders, supporting and encouraging them to get out the way.

The last resort was Dorvir who had his hypnotic pattern spell at the ready. He would only use it if they could not completely clear the oncoming stampede.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Brightsky
    Aasimar Conjurer

Venetta
    Aasimar Tempest Cleric
    Leyla
    Aasimar Echo Knight
    Sunshine
    Celestial Tressym

"Agreed, Retreat!" Emilia calls out to her (and hopefully everyone else's) troops. Immediately she and her sisters begin doing just that.
    Emilia herself and Venetta both prepare spells to slow the charging elk down in case they get too close. Leyla for her part conjures her echo between the elk and the soldiers before booking it past her sisters.

Spoiler
    Show

Leyla uses her bonus action to spawn her Echo as close to the elk as possible to try and shoo them away at least a bit. Then Dashes away.

Emilia and Venetta move away and ready actions to cast spells. Web in Emilia's case, Sleet Storm in Venetta's.

11. - Top - End - #41

Belle, seeing her words having little effect, also prepares a spell.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Readying a cast of Web to entangle the elks if they get within 45' of us without slowing or turning or anything.

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Well out of the line of the stampede Jack whispers an order that slowly propogates through his commanders to his soldiers, to move into the dense foilige and take cover, while keeping an eye out for what spooken these creatures.

Spoiler
    Show

Jack, Kelinar and Kelinar's troops will move into the dense foilige to the west while Mariel takes hers to the east. All will hide while watching the stampede. Advantage for dense foilige and +1o for PwaT

J: (1d20+16)[33] (1d20+16)[28]
    K: (1d20+18)[23] (1d20+18)[35]
    M: (1d20+17)[24] (1d20+17)[35]
    K's Troops: (1d20+11)[30] (1d20+11)[30]
    M's Troops: (1d20+11)[23] (1d20+11)[14]
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

13. - Top - End - #43

Serenity does her best to make it back to her company but quickly realises that she won't make it and takes cover as best she can.

Meanwhile, Marielle and Sonderson attempt to usher the troops into the treeline so as to keep out of the way of incoming charge.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

As you drive your troops into the thicket, the giant elk come bursting through the brush bellowing in terror. Elk crash into each other to avoid the sphere of darkness, which buy you a few extra moments.

Pressing onward, they wedge themselves between the campfires and rip through the web cast by Emilia, then the web cast by Belle.

GiantElk2, pinned between the sphere of darkness and the other elk, rears on their hind legs in panic.

Giant Elk5 skids to a halt at the campfire, and Giant Elk6 twists and tumbles in the web snare!

Battle Map

CO Dorvir, you're up!

Spoiler: Initiative Results
    Show
    1. Giant Elk2: 23
    2. Giant Elk5: 23
    3. Giant Elk6: 23
    4. Chief Officer Dorvir: 22
    5. Sgt. Raena May: 20
    6. Chief Officer Emilia Brightsky: 20
    7. Sgt. Sergeant Wilfred Sonderson: 20
    8. Sgt. Mariel: 19
    9. Giant Elk7: 17
    10. Giant Elk8: 17
    11. Sgt. Jaromir Highthorn: 17
    12. Giant Elk1: 16
    13. Chief Officer Brunebelle "Belle" Onyx: 16
    14. Sgt. Sergeant Serenity:11
    15. Sgt. Keilnar: 9
    16. Chief Officer Marielle Mercyn: 9
    17. Sgt Venetta Brightsky: 9
    18. Sgt. Laughter Gembright: 9
    19. Giant Elk3: 8
    20. Sgt. Gruk Thane: 8
    21. Sgt. Leyla Brightsky: 7
    22. Chief Officer Jack: 6
    23. Giant Elk4: 4

Spoiler: IC Related Crunch
    Show
    The Giant Elk are charging (+2d6 damage to Ram attack)
    Elk 3 passes both Dex Save Throws.
    Elk 4 fails first Dex Save Throw.
    Elk 1 passes first Dex Save Throw.
    Elk 6 fails first Dex Save Throw.
    Elk 7 passes first Dex Save Throw.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Chief Officer Dorvir and Sergeant Raena May hold their positions.

CO Emilia Brightsky, you're up!

Spoiler: Initiative Results
    Show
    1. Giant Elk2: 23
    2. Giant Elk5: 23
    3. Giant Elk6: 23
    4. Chief Officer Emilia Brightsky: 20
    5. Sgt. Sergeant Wilfred Sonderson: 20
    6. Sgt. Mariel: 19
    7. Giant Elk7: 17
    8. Giant Elk8: 17
    9. Sgt. Jaromir Highthorn: 17
    10. Giant Elk1: 16
    11. Chief Officer Brunebelle "Belle" Onyx: 16
    12. Sgt. Sergeant Serenity:11
    13. Sgt. Keilnar: 9
    14. Chief Officer Marielle Mercyn: 9
    15. Sgt Venetta Brightsky: 9
    16. Sgt. Laughter Gembright: 9
    17. Giant Elk3: 8
    18. Sgt. Gruk Thane: 8
    19. Sgt. Leyla Brightsky: 7
    20. Chief Officer Jack: 6
    21. Giant Elk4: 4
    22. Chief Officer Dorvir: 22 (Delayed Initiative)
    23. Sgt. Raena May: 20 (Delayed Initiative)

PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Brightsky
    Aasimar Conjurer

Venetta
    Aasimar Tempest Cleric
    Leyla
    Aasimar Echo Knight
    Sunshine
    Celestial Tressym

Having given her soldiers their command to do the same, Emilia retreats to the south.

Spoiler
    Show

Just moving 60 feet south.

17. - Top - End - #47

Following Marielle’s order, Sonderson continues ushering the troops into the trees, keeping them and himself out of the way of the charging elks.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

You all make it to the safety of the trees.

The trampling herd of giant elk make a real mess of your campsite, but in all other ways, pass through harmlessly.

Then, as if all the sound left with them, the air goes still. Not a bird, nor a cricket make a sound. Suddenly, you hear an angry roar coming from the direction the elk were coming from...
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Brightsky
    Aasimar Conjurer

Venetta
    Aasimar Tempest Cleric
    Leyla
    Aasimar Echo Knight
    Sunshine
    Celestial Tressym

"Well, we better see what that is." Emilia says and sends Sunshine to go check out what's making the angry roar. Again, switching her senses back and forth.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Spoiler: For Sunshine's Eyes Only
    Show
    Rampaging along the path that was cleared by the elk is a massive Dire Troll, its multiple heads gnashing and snarling hungrily, and it's three arms grasping in the direction of the elk. You believe the Dire Troll will be at the campsite in mere seconds (with a timely warning, the party will have one round to prepare for the creature's arrival.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Brightsky
    Aasimar Conjurer

Venetta
    Aasimar Tempest Cleric
    Leyla
    Aasimar Echo Knight
    Sunshine
    Celestial Tressym

"A massive troll is heading our way, prepare for battle everyone!" Emilia shouts loud enough for the other companies to hear her as well.

22. - Top - End - #52

Gruk and Laughter step to the front of the group, readying their weapons. Belle holds her focus at the ready, similarly ready, but much further back.

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #53

Hearing Emilia’s warning, Marielle orders her company to ready crossbows and prepare to support those at the front.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

[IMG]

[/IMG]
    Dorvir
    Drow Artificer
    AC: 18 HP: 73/73
    PP: 11 PIv: 19 PIs: 15
    Conditions: -Ready-

Raena May
    Halfdrow Monk
    AC: 18 HP: 51/51
    PP: 14 PIv: 9 PIs: 14
    Jaromir
    Human Paladin
    AC: 20 HP: 68/68
    PP: 13 PIv: 9 PIs: 10
    Conditions: -horseback-

Dorvir gives the orders and Raena moves to the shadows with the troops, both squads readying their crossbows and finding cover. Rae hides and prepares to cast faerie fire on the enemy to help guide her allies attacks.

Jaromir remains on his horse holding Dorvir’s shied in one hand and his lance on the other. He sits a little behind those on the front line.

Dorvir waits another few paces behind him, a web spell sitting on the edge of his tongue, ready to cast as soon as a creature comes into range.

Spoiler: actions
    Show

Rae hide (1d20+7)[10]
    Faerie fire: range 60ft dc 11dex save

Jaromir delay

Dorvir
    Web - Dex save 17

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

And they lived happily ever after...

The end.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry