A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground CXIV

Quote Originally Posted by ciopo View Post
    Right? I can't wrap my head around why bypassing /magic is higher rated than /adamantine or /silver. Maybe it made more sense in 3.0?
    In 3.0, DR was overcome by +1, +2, +3, etc weapons, DR/magic was introduced in 3.5 as an improvement of the older system. They were just mean.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

I've been dealing with a nasty case of the flu. The upside is, I had enough free time to come up with a couple of stubs I'm pretty happy with. I'm feeling a bit better today, and I'll see if I can make those into proper entries.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Time is always hard to come by, but I'm super overdue for a judging and nothing immediately comes to mind that strikes my fancy with this ingredient. If my IRL schedule doesn't overwhelm me, I'll try to judge this round.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

I have several ideas and none of them are actually serious. But who knows, I just might be able to turn one or two into something fun.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Come join the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently cooking for round 35. Everyone is welcome!

My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

5. - Top - End - #35

NecromancerGuy

By "chosen natural weapons", what happens if you have several of one weapon? Would a kraken gain boni on its 6 tentacles? If yes, what about the additional attack, and what about the speed property? Can you make an additional attack with each natural weapon with either?
    Trying to resurrect the Negative LA thread, any comment and discussion are very welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    By "chosen natural weapons", what happens if you have several of one weapon? Would a kraken gain boni on its 6 tentacles? If yes, what about the additional attack, and what about the speed property? Can you make an additional attack with each natural weapon with either?
    From the first page;
    Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    If you're asking for something like "If my character has 2 claws, do the benefits of the class apply to both claws because they're the same form?", the answer to that question is yes. If you're asking a different question, please rephrase or provide an example.

Please feel free to PM any questions you think are too specific to post in the general thread.

7. - Top - End - #37

GnomePirate

This quote doesn't really answer the "both/all or either" question for natural weapon focus, though. I was working under the either assumption. Seems like RAI, and prevents this from becoming a "how many claws can I get" round. I'd be glad to get an answer.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

The additional attack occurs once. Same for speed property.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Team Iron Chef, updated my spreadsheet for IC competitions. Link is the same.

VERSION 2.0 is here.

Skill table is completely revamped. You simply enter the skill names at the top of the columns. At each level, select the cross class status and the number of skill points applied at that level. It will give you a single column that you can copy and paste back into the leveling table. It will automatically ignore skills without ranks. It will "remember" ranks assigned previously and keep printing them. But you only need to enter a "Y" or "y" at each level for cc status, and then the number of points assigned at that level. Does the rest for you.

Good luck, Iron Chefs.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Halfling in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Thank you!! This makes skills so much easier.
    Trying to get my name changed, sorry for the silly name in the meantime!

My Cleric of Heironeous does have a holier-than-thou attitude, thank you very much.

11. - Top - End - #41

GnomePirate

Thanks, mattie_p! Much appreciated.

12. - Top - End - #42

GnomePirate

I just submitted my entry based on my second idea. Feel good about it - I think it might even place, if this ends up being a small round.

I got bored with my first idea, so this'll probably be my only entry this round.

How is everyone else doing?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

I submitted a build last week, and I've been toying with a second all this week. Not sure if I'm going to submit it, though. It's not as 'good' as my other one, I feel, and I don't want to burden the judges by submitting a second build, ya know?

14. - Top - End - #44

WhiteWizardGirl

I'm a first-timer, but I've been wanting to get into this and had a few cool ideas for this round, so I decided to take the plunge! With the generous help of The Viscount :) with rulings and logistics, Build 1 is done and submitted, and my second idea is coming along—I just finished the crunch after a whole bunch of revisions and I'm writing it up now.

My Cleric of Heironeous does have a holier-than-thou attitude, thank you very much.

15. - Top - End - #45

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Helloqwerty View Post
    I'm a first-timer, but I've been wanting to get into this and had a few cool ideas for this round, so I decided to take the plunge! With the generous help of The Viscount :) with rulings and logistics, Build 1 is done and submitted, and my second idea is coming along—I just finished the crunch after a whole bunch of revisions and I'm writing it up now.
    Welcome, and good luck!

16. - Top - End - #46

WhiteWizardGirl

Thanks! We'll see how it goes...

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Just realized a majorly messed up one of the reqs, which means I'll need to redesign the whole build. This happens like every second time I try to do one of these, no matter how vigilant I am. Unsure if I'll proceed or not. So incredibly annoying.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Everybody's gotta start somewhere. We're all insane here.

19. - Top - End - #49

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    Everybody's gotta start somewhere. We're all insane here.
    Well, I wouldn't call either of my entries exactly sane, so seems like I'm fitting right in!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I wouldn't call either of my entries exactly sane, so seems like I'm fitting right in!
    Trust me when I say that my first entry back in ICOC XX was terrible and yet somehow, it still won silver. Sanity doesn't matter! Only passion.

I do mean terrible. Didn't qualify for a feat, implied heavy reliance on items, misread RAW, 42 PB, oh, it was a glorious mess.

21. - Top - End - #51

WhiteWizardGirl

Trust me when I say that my first entry back in ICOC XX was terrible and yet somehow, it still won silver. Sanity doesn't matter! Only passion.

I do mean terrible. Didn't qualify for a feat, implied heavy reliance on items, misread RAW, 42 PB, oh, it was a glorious mess.
    Well, we'll see how it goes :p I don't think I can say much more than that right now.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've been looking for a round to make the jump from the E6 contest to the full one, and I just came up with a really stupid idea, so I guess it's time.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

I actually had three ideas and managed to pick which two I liked best. I've got the class skeleton done for the first one and I know exactly what the fluff is going to be, but I haven't actually written it yet. For the second one, I've got the core trick nailed down and I've figured out how I'm qualifying for it, but I've got to flesh out the feats and stuff for the second half of the build once the main deal comes online.

I will say that at least one of them is one of those builds where I can't stop giggling as I'm putting it together. I make no apologies for what is to come.

I'm gonna laugh like crazy if someone picks up the third idea I had to scrap. It's something that I bet someone else could come up with as well. Or at least part of it is.

Welcome welcome welcome! I'm always thrilled to see new names here. This is probably a good round to start with if for no other reason than that making the skill table ought to be relatively easy! My absolute best advice (to you or to anyone else thinking of diving in) is to give yourself permission to do things. It's so tempting to just hold back and say "no, that's no good," but have you SEEN the crazy stuff we all come up with? My wins and medals, when they happen, never come from holding back. Stick to RAW, of course, but indulging in big and daring ideas is usually a better bet than taking the "safe" route! (Also, double-check your prereqs. Judges can and WILL find the stuff you don't qualify for!)

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Come join the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently cooking for round 35. Everyone is welcome!

24. - Top - End - #54

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post

Welcome welcome welcome! I'm always thrilled to see new names here. This is probably a good round to start with if for no other reason than that making the skill table ought to be relatively easy! My absolute best advice (to you or to anyone else thinking of diving in) is to give yourself permission to do things. It's so tempting to just hold back and say "no, that's no good," but have you SEEN the crazy stuff we all come up with? My wins and medals, when they happen, never come from holding back. Stick to RAW, of course, but indulging in big and daring ideas is usually a better bet than taking the "safe" route! (Also, double-check your prereqs. Judges can and WILL find the stuff you don't qualify for!)
    Thanks! I actually used your "hall of fame" as a formatting and general guidance inspiration! I most certainly did not hold back on ...let's call it creative build design, so this should be interesting.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Seconding the honourable Zaq. Crazy ideas are good ideas. The game's been around for longer than some forum members, I bet, so the normal stuff doesn't hit as hard these days.

I was also laughing when I put my (first) build together. If someone Vizzinis me, I'll be sad, but also happy because they probably pull it off more elegantly than me.

26. - Top - End - #56

WhiteWizardGirl

Both builds in! I'm sure I've messed up somewhere (1 was especially complicated...), but as far as I can tell that's to be expected.

If someone Vizzinis me, I'll be sad, but also happy because they probably pull it off more elegantly than me.
    What does Vizzini refer to here? I assume something related to the iocane scene, but I can't quite figure it out... something about duplicating your build?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Both builds in! I'm sure I've messed up somewhere (1 was especially complicated...), but as far as I can tell that's to be expected.

What does Vizzini refer to here? I assume something related to the iocane scene, but I can't quite figure it out... something about duplicating your build?
    Depends on how someone is invoking it.

1.) I didn't build the build that I thought was too obvious, so no-one submitted the build that i thought was too obvious. I now regret that decision

And the flip side of that is

2.) Duplicate builds.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

I feel like calling duplicate builds "Vizzini" is kind of defeating the point? Like the whole deal we reference the movie is because of the scene in which he's constantly talking himself into and out of both of the options and trying to mentally stay one step ahead in an endless faux-game-theory cycle, which perfectly sums up the experience of knowing that Legendary Basketweaver is perfect for this ingredient but also knowing that everyone else will want to make a Legendary Basketweaver character but also also knowing that everyone else knows that and will talk themselves out of it...

Duplicate builds are, like, anti-Vizzini. They're just duplicate builds.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like calling duplicate builds "Vizzini" is kind of defeating the point? Like the whole deal we reference the movie is because of the scene in which he's constantly talking himself into and out of both of the options and trying to mentally stay one step ahead in an endless faux-game-theory cycle, which perfectly sums up the experience of knowing that Legendary Basketweaver is perfect for this ingredient but also knowing that everyone else will want to make a Legendary Basketweaver character but also also knowing that everyone else knows that and will talk themselves out of it...

Duplicate builds are, like, anti-Vizzini. They're just duplicate builds.
    Indeed, I was referring to talking myself out of the build. It's a time-honoured tradition.

In sad news, my meme build isn't going to work. There's not enough levels. Ah well, I'll talk about it post-reveal if I remember.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

First had been send.