A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground CXIV

I think the only way to really divine the winner here is to set up brackets and fight the matches out

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

I hope both octopi fight each other at some point.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my new sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New book coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Do we have any confirmed judges except AvatarVecna? Does anyone want to commit to judging?

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Now, for the stubs!

I actually had a complete other build ready to submit - Skarn Monk 7/Incarnate 3/Thayan Gladiator 10 that had 8 unarmed attacks, stacking soulmelds to get something like +18 damage per hit before any other considerations. I eventually didn't submit for 2 reasons; It just seemed so bland, and I realised that I had utterly Zinc Saucier'd Spinemeld Warrior. It was kinda funny (I even had a whole section at the end about it).

Spoiler: If you're curious
    Show
    I didn’t even think about it while building this, but I think that I accidentally Zinc Saucier’d my way to Spinemeld Warrior with this entry. Let’s check it out, shall we?
    • Meldshaping: accomplished through incarnate levels.
    • Twin Spine Fighting/Two Weapon Fighting: We’ve got flurry of blows, natural weapon mastery and speed IUS.
    • Noble Familiarity: Okay, we don’t exactly have this one, but we could UMD a wand of guidance of the avatar for the skill boost, and the magic item is… well, that’s in the DM’s hands.
    • Spine Enhancement: UMD to the rescue here (again. Though that’s more a comment on UMD than on anything else). Wand of greater magic fang/weapon to the rescue. It’s even an enhancement bonus.
    • Spine Rend: Pulverize Foe (or the piercing equivalent of Skewer Foe, which we also qualify for) is a similar enough ability that I’d call it sufficient.
    • Chakra Bind (arms): We unlock a lesser bind (hands/feet/crown opposed to arms), but the one we have works really well for our build.
    • Adamantine Spines: We literally get Adamantine Strike, which accomplishes the same damned thing.

Second build just wouldn't come together, and it was my meme build. Tauric Anthropomorphic Bat-Sword Spider Thayan Gladiator 10/Swordsage 1. I was really disappointed that I couldn't get it to work the way that I wanted it to. It had some pretty ridiculous stat modifiers, and I fluffed the entire Tauric thing as the ritual described in the entry requirements. I included an option to stack a ridiculous number of templates onto the sword spider (which wouldn't count towards the LA), but discarded it as being a little too much cheese.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Halfling in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Wow, those are some...creative builds. Lots of RHD and LA. I'm surprised that the two octopi are doing similar things (although they go about it rather differently....)—that's a coincidence.
    Trying to get my name changed, sorry for the silly name in the meantime!

My Cleric of Heironeous does have a holier-than-thou attitude, thank you very much.

6. - Top - End - #126

NecromancerGuy

By Hextor that's a lot of builds! And I mean a lot! More than I've ever seen in a comp. I'll still judge‚ but count at the very least a good week or two.

By the way‚ I'm once again asking for a volunteer to judge Junkyard Wars‚ it's been more than a week since the reveal and we still have no judge. If one of you can spare a few hours‚ that will be very appreciated!
    Trying to resurrect the Negative LA thread, any comment and discussion are very welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

7. - Top - End - #127

GnomePirate

Thanks for judging, Beni-Kujaku!

I can't really make time for judging ten builds in the foreseeable future, my apologies.

I had a build called "dark mother" that was meant to be a Half-shadow-dragon anthro-baleen-whale. Once I realized I can't qualify for improved rapidstrike with only psychic warrior (would've had 14 BaB at 15 hd, and never make it to 18 hd) I sort of lost interest in it.

I also considered submitting a plains landwyrm at some point, which would've been very awkward. Glad I didn't do that.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

This was my stub.

At one point, before foramtting the table and doing skills etc, I had the idea "Hey, Sworsdage would be better than Warblade". Did the whole table, skills etc. then realised "Oh, Swordsage doesn't meet the BAB reqs for the ingredient". Went back and started re-doing it, but then found out that an ongoing pain in my shoulder meant I may need surgery, which put me into a bit of a funk, and I couldn't be bothered continuing.

The schtick was enchanting the tentacles as much as possible with Kensai, before applying the "free" upgrades from TG.

Takeo

LE Male Anthropomorphic Octopus Monstrous Humanoid 2/Warblade 3/Thayan Gladiator 10/Kensai 5

Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Reflex Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    2nd Monstrous Humanoid 2 2 0 3 3 Hide 5, Listen 5, Ride 2.5, Spot 5 Toughness, Weapon Finesse Darkvision 60 ft, improved grab, ink cloud, jet, low-light vision
    3rd Warblade 1 3 2 3 3 Hide 5, Listen 5, Ride 3, Spot 5, Tumble 5 Weapon Focus Battle clarity (Reflex saves), weapon aptitude
    4th Warblade 2 4 3 4 4 Concentration 5, Hide 5, Listen 5, Ride 3.5, Spot 5, Tumble 5 Uncanny dodge
    5th Warblade 3 5 3 4 4 Concentration 5, Diplomacy 5, Hide 5, Listen 5, Ride 4, Spot 5, Tumble 5 Battle ardor (critical confirmation)
    6th Thayan Gladiator 1 6 5 4 4 Concentration 5, Diplomacy 5, Hide 5, Listen 5, Ride 4.5, Spot 8, Tumble 5 Power Attack Improved natural attack, study opponent
    7th Thayan Gladiator 2 7 6 4 4 Concentration 5, Diplomacy 5, Hide 5, Jump 1, Listen 5, Ride 5, Spot 10, Tumble 5, Improved critical, natural armor +1
    8th Thayan Gladiator 3 8 6 5 5 Concentration 5, Diplomacy 5, Hide 5, Jump 4, Listen 5, Ride 5, , Spot 11, Tumble 5 Stunning critical, silver strike
    9th Thayan Gladiator 4 9 7 5 5 Concentration 5, Diplomacy 5, Hide 5, Jump 7, Listen 5, Ride 5, Spot 12, Tumble 5 Combat Expertise Natural weapon focus
    10th Kensai 1 9 7 5 7 Concentration 11, Diplomacy 5, Hide 5, Jump 7, Listen 5, Ride 5, Spot 12, Tumble 5 Signature weapon
    11th Kensai 2 10 7 5 8 Concentration 13, Diplomacy 5, Hide 5, Jump 11, Listen 5, Ride 5, , Spot 12, Tumble 5 Power surge
    12th Kensai 3 11 8 6 8 Concentration 15, Diplomacy 5, Hide 5, Jump 15, Listen 5, Ride 5, , Spot 12, Tumble 5 Leap Attack -
    13th Kensai 4 12 8 6 9 Concentration 16, Diplomacy 5, Hide 5, Jump 16, Listen 5, Ride 5, Sense Motive 4, Spot 12, Tumble 5, Ki projection
    14th Kensai 5 12 8 6 9 Concentration 17, Diplomacy 5, Hide 5, Jump 17, Listen 5, Ride 5, Sense Motive 8, Spot 12, Tumble 5 Withstand
    15th Thayan Gladiator 5 13 8 6 9 Concentration 17, Diplomacy 5, Hide 5, Jump 18, Listen 5, Ride 5, Sense Motive 8, Spot 15, Tumble 5 Martial Study (pouncing charge) Imbue natural weapon, natural armor +2
    16th Thayan Gladiator 6 14 9 7 10 Concentration 17, Diplomacy 5, Hide 5, Jump 19, Listen 5, Ride 5, Sense Motive 8, Spot 18, Tumble 5 Adamantine strike
    17th Thayan Gladiator 7 15 9 7 10 Concentration 17, Diplomacy 5, Hide 5, Jump 20, Listen 5, Ride 5, Sense Motive 9, Spot 20, Tumble 5 Savage strike
    18th Thayan Gladiator 8 16 10 7 10 Concentration 17, Diplomacy 5, Hide 5, Jump 21, Listen 5, Ride 5, Sense Motive 11, Spot 20, Tumble 5 Extended Reach Natural armor +3, natural weapon mastery
    19th Thayan Gladiator 9 17 10 8 11 Concentration 17, Diplomacy 5, Hide 5, Jump 22, Listen 5, Ride 5, Sense Motive 13, Spot 20, Tumble 5 Magic strike
    20th Thayan Gladiator 10 18 11 8 11 Concentration 17, Diplomacy 5, Hide 5, Jump 23, Listen 5, Ride 5, Sense Motive 15, Spot 20, Tumble 5 Imbue natural weapon

9. - Top - End - #129

GnomePirate

Nice character, Thurbane. Simple and effective. Is the name a reference to the Tales of the Otori? They were some of my favorite books growing up.

Well, there are some truly awesome entries in there, gang. The ICO spreadsheet has been updated with all of them. I'm impressed, and I had a lot of fun going through the builds. I said at some point that I think I might place if it ends up being a small round, and it didn't, so I don't – but I'm not disappointed. It's great to have such a huge showing. Hopefully our esteemed judges will succeed in rising to the challenge.

For those speculating, this is not the largest round in IC history. In fact, it just barely makes the top 10. It is, however, the largest round since CW's Spellsword in 2014, which is still very impressive.

The title of largest round ever is a three-way tie between Dragon Disciple, Talon of Tiamat and Anointed Knight. The first of these, Dragon Disciple, actually had a Thayan Gladiator entry – Venger's Draco Drago.

It's incredible how I can make myself feel like something is a crazy coincidence when it's very clearly not. I similarly noticed that the other two tied ingredients for largest ever had Piggy-Knowles with a silver medal, and my mind went "Woah, that's crazy. People thought this may be the largest round ever, but the actual largest rounds ever either had the ingredient as a class or had Piggy, who said he might judge, as a silver medalist." That’s such an obviously convoluted and silly thought, that also commits the base-rate fallacy by ignoring the fact that Piggy has placed in half of these things. I should know better than to fall for this crazy-Facebook-aunt thinking, but apparently I don't.

The human mind is amazing.

10. - Top - End - #130

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    By Hextor that's a lot of builds! And I mean a lot! More than I've ever seen in a comp. I'll still judge‚ but count at the very least a good week or two.

By the way‚ I'm once again asking for a volunteer to judge Junkyard Wars‚ it's been more than a week since the reveal and we still have no judge. If one of you can spare a few hours‚ that will be very appreciated!
    I could probably find time this weekend, but I've never participated in JW and this is my first time in IC—I've read over enough past rounds at this point that I'm comfortable taking a stab but there's a good chance my judgements will be terrible.

My Cleric of Heironeous does have a holier-than-thou attitude, thank you very much.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Nice character, Thurbane. Simple and effective. Is the name a reference to the Tales of the Otori? They were some of my favorite books growing up.
    Actually, I knew the Japanese word for octopus was Tako, and searching for some traditional Japanese names, found that Takeo means "warrior" (or similar), so I thought it was fitting.

12. - Top - End - #132

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Helloqwerty View Post
    I could probably find time this weekend, but I've never participated in JW and this is my first time in IC—I've read over enough past rounds at this point that I'm comfortable taking a stab but there's a good chance my judgements will be terrible.
    Thank you very much! Don't worry‚ everybody has a first time‚ and doesn't judge badly because they have no experience. I'm looking forward to your ratings!

By the way‚ if somebody else wants to take a look at JW and judge as well‚ they are very welcome. One judge is great‚ two are awesome!
    Trying to resurrect the Negative LA thread, any comment and discussion are very welcome!

3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    Now, for the stubs!

I actually had a complete other build ready to submit - Skarn Monk 7/Incarnate 3/Thayan Gladiator 10 that had 8 unarmed attacks, stacking soulmelds to get something like +18 damage per hit before any other considerations. I eventually didn't submit for 2 reasons; It just seemed so bland, and I realised that I had utterly Zinc Saucier'd Spinemeld Warrior. It was kinda funny (I even had a whole section at the end about it).

Spoiler: If you're curious
    Show
    I didn’t even think about it while building this, but I think that I accidentally Zinc Saucier’d my way to Spinemeld Warrior with this entry. Let’s check it out, shall we?
    • Meldshaping: accomplished through incarnate levels.
    • Twin Spine Fighting/Two Weapon Fighting: We’ve got flurry of blows, natural weapon mastery and speed IUS.
    • Noble Familiarity: Okay, we don’t exactly have this one, but we could UMD a wand of guidance of the avatar for the skill boost, and the magic item is… well, that’s in the DM’s hands.
    • Spine Enhancement: UMD to the rescue here (again. Though that’s more a comment on UMD than on anything else). Wand of greater magic fang/weapon to the rescue. It’s even an enhancement bonus.
    • Spine Rend: Pulverize Foe (or the piercing equivalent of Skewer Foe, which we also qualify for) is a similar enough ability that I’d call it sufficient.
    • Chakra Bind (arms): We unlock a lesser bind (hands/feet/crown opposed to arms), but the one we have works really well for our build.
    • Adamantine Spines: We literally get Adamantine Strike, which accomplishes the same damned thing.

Second build just wouldn't come together, and it was my meme build. Tauric Anthropomorphic Bat-Sword Spider Thayan Gladiator 10/Swordsage 1. I was really disappointed that I couldn't get it to work the way that I wanted it to. It had some pretty ridiculous stat modifiers, and I fluffed the entire Tauric thing as the ritual described in the entry requirements. I included an option to stack a ridiculous number of templates onto the sword spider (which wouldn't count towards the LA), but discarded it as being a little too much cheese.
    So my third build, which I obviously didn't submit, was literally a spinemeld warrior. Specifically the insectile skarn Rapidstrike user that I didn't build back in the SmW round. Not like you really get anything meaningful out of SmW after, like, a max of two levels anyway! With iteratives it was something like primary/focus/speed/Rapidstrike/Improved Rapidstrike/TWF/ITWF/GTWF/iterative/iterative/iterative, all with the favored weapon? Of course I also didn't really have any meaningful bonus damage on it, and my other two builds seemed like more fun anyway, but I was giggling for a little bit at the concept of out-SmWing the SmW.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Come join the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently cooking for round 35. Everyone is welcome!

My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

14. - Top - End - #134

WhiteWizardGirl

Are we supposed to wait till after judging to do HM votes?

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

You can vote HM at anytime.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

I cannot lie, I like Dummy thic Butts: my HM goes there

17. - Top - End - #137

WhiteWizardGirl

I'll vote ‘Ole Cooter for HM.

I feel for the judges, especially after judging for JW! This is a whole lot of builds to deal with :(. Good luck!

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

I give my HM to Vame Pomier.
    Last edited by loky1109; 2021-09-07 at 12:31 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

So many great entries this round, my I think I'll give my HM to Five-Punch Man: Battlefists are cool!

20. - Top - End - #140

GnomePirate

'Ole Cooter is my HM as well.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wow, so many builds here look like they would be a blast to play! It makes me want to run a short 'arena' game set in Thay where the PCs have to fight in the arena against the Gladiators' Guild and their anthropomorphic aquatic guildmaster :P
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

22. - Top - End - #142

GnomePirate

How are our judges doing? I hope you're not having too much trouble with this volume of entries.

Quote Originally Posted by Akal Saris View Post
    Wow, so many builds here look like they would be a blast to play! It makes me want to run a short 'arena' game set in Thay where the PCs have to fight in the arena against the Gladiators' Guild and their anthropomorphic aquatic guildmaster :P
    Sounds like a neat idea.

Any chance we'll ever see you participating again? I wasn't around back when you used to cook for this competition, but your builds account for many of my favorites ever.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thank you very much for your kind words! It makes me really happy to know that you recognized me from my builds. Seriously, that put a smile on my face :)

I'm unlikely to participate any time soon, since I don't do much 3.5 optimization these days. However, I do contribute some ideas to Piggy Knowles' optimization showcases, which demonstrate some great concepts in practical optimization:
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...82&postcount=2
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

24. - Top - End - #144

NecromancerGuy

How are our judges doing? I hope you're not having too much trouble with this volume of entries.
    I've done four of them yesterday night, I'll continue this week-end and send at least the first part.

I'm really impressed with the love and care of a lot of these entries, they're a blast to read, and a pleasure to judge. Thank you to everybody!

25. - Top - End - #145

GnomePirate

Thanks for the update, Beni! Appreciate your work.

26. - Top - End - #146

WhiteWizardGirl

I assume that the judging deadline is going to be extended because of the number of builds? It would be a shame if we only got the scores of the judge that submitted first.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    I've done four of them yesterday night, I'll continue this week-end and send at least the first part.

I'm really impressed with the love and care of a lot of these entries, they're a blast to read, and a pleasure to judge. Thank you to everybody!
    I'm so glad that you're having fun with it! Keeping that joy is a big part of judging. I'm glad you're making progress!

You mentioned "the first part." I would like to propose that you hang onto all your judgments until you're done and then share them with us all at once. I say that this has several benefits.

• Everyone disputes at the same time (if needed; I certainly hope not to dispute, but they're part of the game) and therefore you won't be dealing with disputes at the same time as normal judgments (since that could maybe affect them).
    • It's easier to find and collect all the scores for whoever's building the table.
    • You won't be potentially influenced by commentary on the judgments while you're working on your later ones.
    • Everyone gets their payoff at the same time; if you post them in pieces, the chefs who get their judgments later may feel kind of frustrated.

That's the way it's always been done, at least, and I submit that these benefits are adequate reason to stick with that particular tradition. Just my opinion.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    Come join the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground E6 Appetizer Edition! We're currently cooking for round 35. Everyone is welcome!

My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

28. - Top - End - #148

WhiteWizardGirl

+1 for Zaq’s suggestion-I don’t mind having to wait a bit longer. Posting in segments could also make consistency tricky.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

I'll be honest, I still haven't started judging. It's probably easier than the number of builds make it seem since it's a noncaster round, but there's still so many builds and enough variation that it's pretty intimidating. >.<

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: nothing currently.

Aspiring optimizers can try their luck in Zinc Saucier XXXIX: Hoist The Colors High

Quote Originally Posted by Book Wombat View Post
    It's always AvatarVecna time.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey no pressure from me, Judges. I'm just happy yall are taking the time to evaluate this many builds.