New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Summer Beachparty Twenty Twenty One!

[Surf]

Huh?

Khannie was sure Arthfael was going to pop up here.

Then she gets tripped face-first into the water. "Beans!" she shrieks as she topples over with a great big splash. This means the next tail-slap largely misses her but hey this is a chaotic and quickly evolving situation isn't it? Gotta be able to react to what comes your way.

Khannie pops out of the water a few seconds later, dripping and glow and-

"PUH!"

She spits out a small comb jelly along with a mouthful of phosphorescent water.

"UUUUUUGH IT WENT IN MY MOOOOOUTH!"

Khannie is not a fan of jellies invading her mouth. Though, to be fair, the jelly probably wasn't either.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

[In the Water]

The merbat June swims a little towards Klaus.
    "I believe I've told you before," she answers, "that I had left something really really important by the beach, when I got captured."

She looks up and down the beach. "Problem is, I don't really know which beach it was. After hearing about this, I figured if it was nearby, and someone had found it, then this would be my only chance to find out."

slimegirl

actually enjoys watching all the funny things happening here

Venus

watches the volleyball game
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    [Volleyball]

Fortunately, Rose was already standing a little further back and manages to do just that, bumping it overhead for Clarissa to follow up on.

Vlad's still staring and Miranda is still near the back of the other side of the court. A spike would definitely result in a point for their team.
    Clarissa does just that, jumping higher then even her athletic and sleek frame would suggest possible for a powerful downward spike aimed at the space between Vlad's shoulder and left ear. He'd have to react very quickly to even have a hope of being able to hit the ball, much less control it for a return volley.

4. - Top - End - #94

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    Surf
    "No! Because they're not magic!" Achuak counters, "Magic is always cheater-y!" He repeats his tail splash against Khannie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Surf]

Huh?

Khannie was sure Arthfael was going to pop up here.

Then she gets tripped face-first into the water. "Beans!" she shrieks as she topples over with a great big splash. This means the next tail-slap largely misses her but hey this is a chaotic and quickly evolving situation isn't it? Gotta be able to react to what comes your way.

Khannie pops out of the water a few seconds later, dripping and glow and-

"PUH!"

She spits out a small comb jelly along with a mouthful of phosphorescent water.

"UUUUUUGH IT WENT IN MY MOOOOOUTH!"

Khannie is not a fan of jellies invading her mouth. Though, to be fair, the jelly probably wasn't either.
    [Surf]

Arthfael emerges from the ocean, laughing his butt off. That'll get her, all right. Serves her right for being all interesting and stuff. He raises his hand to Achuak, prompting him for a high-five.

"Ha! 'Yeah, Arthfael, those jellies aren't gross at all!'" Arthfael grins. "How does it taste? Like grapes? Jellyfish taste like grapes?"

"...That was weird and dumb. Sorry."

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [In the Water]

The merbat June swims a little towards Klaus.
    "I believe I've told you before," she answers, "that I had left something really really important by the beach, when I got captured."

She looks up and down the beach. "Problem is, I don't really know which beach it was. After hearing about this, I figured if it was nearby, and someone had found it, then this would be my only chance to find out."
    [In The Water]

"Solid reasoning." Klaus beeps, with a little wrinkle around his eyes that suggests he's smiling. "Have you spoken to anyone about it yet? Other than myself, I mean." He pauses, then adds, "It would also be helpful to know what we're looking for. If you would rather not share the specifics, that's fine. But broad strokes would be useful."

Quote Originally Posted by Ionbound View Post
    Clarissa does just that, jumping higher then even her athletic and sleek frame would suggest possible for a powerful downward spike aimed at the space between Vlad's shoulder and left ear. He'd have to react very quickly to even have a hope of being able to hit the ball, much less control it for a return volley.
    [Volleyball]

Predictably, Vlad misses the ball. His shoulders sag as Miranda sighs audibly from behind him. "All right, Lustig. Huddle for a second."

Rose flashes Clarissa a thumbs-up. "Ha! We're totally owning this game!"

"...EVER going to impress either of them if you just sit there staring at their..."

"Pectorals?"

"Eh, maybe in that other lady's case. You get my point?"

"Oh yeah. Let's do this."

Vlad hands the ball to Clarissa, a cheeky smile working its way onto his face. "All right. Let's try this again, but serious."
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-08-20 at 10:07 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Fire
    "I Kothar, champion of goddess Tlacua, one of Three, slayer of Vox Vorago." Kothar replies. While those titles are likely meaningless to Kyrie, they are clearly matters of pride for the lizard warrior.

Surf
    "Haha! You got one in your mouth!" Achuak helpfully points out. "How's it taste?" He echoes. Unfortunately, he isn't familiar with the concepts necessary to make a joke about peanut butter. Arthfael gets no high five. What's a high five?
    Last edited by bc56; 2021-08-20 at 10:09 PM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #96

Fire
    "I Kothar, champion of goddess Tlacua, one of Three, slayer of Vox Vorago." Kothar replies. While those titles are likely meaningless to Kyrie, they are clearly matters of pride for the lizard warrior.
    [Fire]

In fairness, none of the titles Kyrie listed off were going to mean anything to Kothar, either. Here in the Nexus, the titles of who served whom who slayed whomever amounted to a long name and little else. "Pleasure to meet you." He says with a little smile.

Yup. Just two beast-men warriors sitting on a beach, watching their children.

...Yuuup.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

7. - Top - End - #97

[Surf]

"Bluuuuugh!" Khannie groans. "Astringent and bitter."

That's a fancy sounding word.

Why does she know that word?

"Like the gross tasting green olives. Or biting into an acorn," she clarifies, spitting out another mouthful of water. "Don't ever bite into an acorn just because your familiar says they taste good."

It was a learning experience.

Maridia thought it was hilarious.

"I'm going to go roast some s'mores to get this gross taste out of my mouth," Khannie says as she begins wading out of the water toward-!

[The Bonfire]

Or one of them at least. Khannie pulls open one of the many bags of marshmallows (which have thus far thwarted Maridia's attempts to get into them) and tosses one to her fairy dragon familiar. Then she sticks another on a skewer and gets it roasting.

Khannie, of course, doesn't have the patience to slowly brown them. She just lets the treat ignite and then blows it out.

So!

There she is.

Illuminated up there on the beach by flickering firelight, outlined in phosphorescent water like a neon blue aura.

And, of course- "Don't you eat MORE of those marshmallows, Maridia, you're gunna get sick again."

8. - Top - End - #98

Surf
    "Haha! You got one in your mouth!" Achuak helpfully points out. "How's it taste?" He echoes. Unfortunately, he isn't familiar with the concepts necessary to make a joke about peanut butter. Arthfael gets no high five. What's a high five?
    [Surf]

"Bluuuuugh!" Khannie groans. "Astringent and bitter."

That's a fancy sounding word.

Why does she know that word?

"Like the gross tasting green olives. Or biting into an acorn," she clarifies, spitting out another mouthful of water. "Don't ever bite into an acorn just because your familiar says they taste good."

It was a learning experience.

Maridia thought it was hilarious.

"I'm going to go roast some s'mores to get this gross taste out of my mouth," Khannie says as she begins wading out of the water toward-!

[The Bonfire]

Or one of them at least. Khannie pulls open one of the many bags of marshmallows (which have thus far thwarted Maridia's attempts to get into them) and tosses one to her fairy dragon familiar. Then she sticks another on a skewer and gets it roasting.

Khannie, of course, doesn't have the patience to slowly brown them. She just lets the treat ignite and then blows it out.

So!

There she is.

Illuminated up there on the beach by flickering firelight, outlined in phosphorescent water like a neon blue aura.

And, of course- "Don't you eat MORE of those marshmallows, Maridia, you're gunna get sick again."
    [The Bonfire]

Arthfael sighs and drops his hand. "...Come on, man." He mumbles, following Khannie up to the bonfire. Achuak leaving him hanging like that? Shameful.

Now, Arthfael doesn't know a lot about marshmallows. He doesn't know how good they taste or if Khannie's toasting method is any good. But he does understand cooking on a basic level, even if she'd have to waterboard him to get him to admit it. Between that, and just trying to fit in, Arthfael sets about toasting a marshmallow slowly, letting the heat permeate it for a nice, even roast instead of this "shell around goop" nonsense Khannie was making. It helped that he wasn't actually in any hurry to eat it.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Bonfire
    Oh no!
    Everyone's going out of the water!
    Achuak looks a little disappointed but follows. After all, there are snacks. He copies the other children in sticking a marshmallow into the fire on a stick, but without knowing what he's doing, it's quickly burning and beginning to melt off.

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #100

[The Bonfire]

Once her marshmallow looks sufficiently like a volcanic rock vomited out of the heart of the earth Khannie sticks the end in the sand and grabs a graham cracker, snaps it in half, and then out comes the jar of chocolate spread! She gets her cracker nice and gooey, pinches the marshmallow, and pulls it free!

One chomp later and.

"Mm... this is WAY better than glow in the dark jellyfish," she sighs. "Do you want me to get some more crackers ready for you guys?"

Without waiting for a reply she begins prepping some more crackers with chocolate. One cracker! Two crackers! Three crackers! Two cra-

"Maridia! Stop stealing the food!" Khannie hollers at the quickly retreating fairy dragon. "I swear it's like baby-sitting a flying raccoon," Khannie grumbles as she gets the chocolate-covered cracker supply back up to capacity.

Then?

The bounty is shared!

"Achuak you're just burning it to charcoal. Here, try another one. Just stick it in there for a little bit then blow out the fire. Or roast it slow like Arthfael is doing," she suggests. Then looks briefly thoughtful. "Umm... is it okay for vampires and lizard people to eat chocolate? I know Commissar isn't supposed to..."

But he's a dog, Khannie. Neither of your friends are dogs.

11. - Top - End - #101

Bonfire
    Oh no!
    Everyone's going out of the water!
    Achuak looks a little disappointed but follows. After all, there are snacks. He copies the other children in sticking a marshmallow into the fire on a stick, but without knowing what he's doing, it's quickly burning and beginning to melt off.
    [The Bonfire]

Once her marshmallow looks sufficiently like a volcanic rock vomited out of the heart of the earth Khannie sticks the end in the sand and grabs a graham cracker, snaps it in half, and then out comes the jar of chocolate spread! She gets her cracker nice and gooey, pinches the marshmallow, and pulls it free!

One chomp later and.

"Mm... this is WAY better than glow in the dark jellyfish," she sighs. "Do you want me to get some more crackers ready for you guys?"

Without waiting for a reply she begins prepping some more crackers with chocolate. One cracker! Two crackers! Three crackers! Two cra-

"Maridia! Stop stealing the food!" Khannie hollers at the quickly retreating fairy dragon. "I swear it's like baby-sitting a flying raccoon," Khannie grumbles as she gets the chocolate-covered cracker supply back up to capacity.

Then?

The bounty is shared!

"Achuak you're just burning it to charcoal. Here, try another one. Just stick it in there for a little bit then blow out the fire. Or roast it slow like Arthfael is doing," she suggests. Then looks briefly thoughtful. "Umm... is it okay for vampires and lizard people to eat chocolate? I know Commissar isn't supposed to..."

But he's a dog, Khannie. Neither of your friends are dogs.
    [The Bonfire]

Arthfael clears his throat. "Well, um... not really. The list of things we strigoi are supposed to eat is pretty narrow." He admits sheepishly. "It mostly amounts to 'blood and occasionally small animals'." He glowers at Maridia. "Like flying raccoons, for instance." He adds, doing his best impression of one of his uncle's signature growls.

"...But, um... yeah, I'm not really supposed to have this." He shrugs, holding the golden marshmallow out to Khannie. "You can have it if you want it."

You know.

Whatever.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-08-21 at 12:43 AM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

[Volleyball]

Clarissa gives Rose a big grin back, "Yeah! Serves him right for being too distracted ogling us." She looks over back at the other two huddling, and smirks at Vlad's cheeky smile, "Awake now? Good. Let's go." She steps back and serves the ball to Vlad again, ready for a real point or two.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Pixie in the Playground

[Bar]

Keiko chuckles

Not my family so much, we're surprisingly normal. But I was on assignment for the last four years to a new group who had a female to male ratio of 1 to 8, had clutches of young, and there was precious little hope to tell exactly who the father of any given individual was, just "it was one of this set".

Then she blinks and shrugs at Leah

I must have been thinking of someone else. Too many names run together after a while.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

Darker Beach

Felicity notes that Eun is a little unsure about sitting down, so pulls out... well, it's not a towel. It's a fire blanket. It's maybe not as comfortable as a towel, but it will at least prevent Eun from getting sand in her clothes. "How'd they manage to make it a spatial anomaly? Wouldn't that interfere with some of the work you do? It'd be like... I'd say setting fire to my lab, but I do that all the time." Sometimes even accidentally.

Felicity doesn't know Eun to know that she's not usually this awkward, and is unaware her HotBox can make towels.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

15. - Top - End - #105

[Volleyball]

Clarissa gives Rose a big grin back, "Yeah! Serves him right for being too distracted ogling us." She looks over back at the other two huddling, and smirks at Vlad's cheeky smile, "Awake now? Good. Let's go." She steps back and serves the ball to Vlad again, ready for a real point or two.
    [Volleyball]

This time, Vlad's gaze doesn't leave the ball. Instead, when it gets close, his arm swings up, knocking the ball almost straight up into the air. This gives him and Miranda a few seconds to trade places, which they do, with Miranda jumping up into the air and immediately spiking the ball back to them.

Rose is definitely not going to be able to reach it in time. She's too far back.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    [Bar]

Keiko chuckles

Not my family so much, we're surprisingly normal. But I was on assignment for the last four years to a new group who had a female to male ratio of 1 to 8, had clutches of young, and there was precious little hope to tell exactly who the father of any given individual was, just "it was one of this set".

Then she blinks and shrugs at Leah

I must have been thinking of someone else. Too many names run together after a while.
    [Bar]

"Hm. Yes, that does sound like a pretty similar situation." Braeg agrees, giving a little shrug. He inhales a little and turns his attention to Leah. "Having said that... Keiko and I were going to have that 'poetry contest' when you walked over. Would you care to join us? We'll need an audience, if only an audience of one."

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Darker Beach

Felicity notes that Eun is a little unsure about sitting down, so pulls out... well, it's not a towel. It's a fire blanket. It's maybe not as comfortable as a towel, but it will at least prevent Eun from getting sand in her clothes. "How'd they manage to make it a spatial anomaly? Wouldn't that interfere with some of the work you do? It'd be like... I'd say setting fire to my lab, but I do that all the time." Sometimes even accidentally.

Felicity doesn't know Eun to know that she's not usually this awkward, and is unaware her HotBox can make towels.
    [Darker Beach]

That's true. Eun is very slightly less awkward under most circumstances.

"Actually... no, not really." Eun admits, sitting on the fire blanket. "By my understanding of Quad-Space mechanics, the setup they gave me is essentially an isolation chamber. It'd be more like if your lab was kept in a vacuum, only without the dangers of oxygen deprivation." It also has the neat side-effect of blocking out most of the noises and such from the hallway, which Eun appreciated once she got used to the room being so bizarre otherwise. She was probably going to spend a lot of time in there. "As for how they pulled it off... I... don't think I should ask." She rubs her temple, a migraine already starting to take shape. "I mean, the day we met involved a small child taking ordinary fire and turning it into an actual star. I'm not sure I'd even be able to begin to describe the methodology for folding space the way they did, other than maybe 'they have a small child that can do that, too'."
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-08-21 at 10:57 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

[Bar]

"One burger, coming right up. I'll have the borscht for you in a minute, miss." Selekhael directs the second comment at the very drunk, very pink nine-tailed fox girl leaning heavily against the bar next to Olvisin.
    True to her word, she has a hamburger ready in a moment. "What would you like on it?"
    The aforementioned pink fox's mouth waters at the sight of the juicy hamburger. She whines, "The barmaid won lishen to me. I wan burgsh too."
    "Mushrooms, pickles, onions and some hot sauce," Olvisin says, before her eyes and ears flick to the fox. "I think this fox-girl here wants a burger too, not borscht. Whatever that is."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

[Volleyball]

Clarissa's ready for something like this, and when Miranda spikes it Clarissa dives into the sand, arms in a V to bounce the volleyball high in the air, sailing backwards towards Rose and the edge of the court.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Bar
    "Yesh! Thash it!""Oh! Sorry!" Selekhael stacks up the toppings on Olvisin's burger and passes it over. Then she gets another out and asks, "What do you want on it?" "Lettush, tomato, kechup, mushtard." Selekhael begins putting those toppings on the fox's burger.
    The foxgirl watches Olvisin's burger closely. She's watching for an opening, where the goblin isn't paying attention. It will only take a few moments for that burger to disappear. Her own will disappear just as quickly once it's finished.

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

Darker Beach

"I was the fuel for that fire, so it's hardly 'normal'. Most people don't sweat oil. Or bleed napalm." Not strictly true, in either case, particularly since napalm doesn't ignite on contact with air (I think). "That would make collecting my blood easier, actually. But if you don't ask, you won't find out. I got flammable because I worked as a lab tech for a guy who makes super-serums. I worked on one, mapped my genome, created a serum- with his help- that was nearly guaranteed not to kill me. And it didn't. He fired me afterwards because he said I was too dangerous, and... I don't know enough about how he makes them to reverse it so I can actually get a job as a lab tech working with chemicals again. Right now, my biology's unique, and even if I'm not working with open flames, I can't guarantee my sweat or whatever will react normally- or safely- if contamination accidentally occurred." And it's pretty hard to do general science if you have to wear an NBC suit to make sure you don't accidentally get flammable sweat on the lump of magnesium, for example. "Besides, you're a very intelligent woman, and if you know how they did it? You could figure out how to do it better." Felicity's pretty sure Dr. Eun could manage to make a better version of a technology she's only just encountered.

20. - Top - End - #110

[Volleyball]

Clarissa's ready for something like this, and when Miranda spikes it Clarissa dives into the sand, arms in a V to bounce the volleyball high in the air, sailing backwards towards Rose and the edge of the court.
    [Volleyball]

Rose goes to bump the ball back toward the net, but unfortunately, her athletic talents (if they could be called that) play more into endurance and flexibility, not foot speed and striking force. By the time she reaches the ball, it's already so close to the ground that it sort of bounces uselessly off her ankle.

Miranda and Vlad share a wordless high-five, giving Clarissa matching grins. Well, almost matching. Vlad's thrown in an eyebrow waggle for effect.

Rose huddles up next to Clarissa. "Okay, so... we might be in trouble here. Those two are both power hitters and Vlad's thinking with an organ above his waist much sooner than I expected. Any ideas?"

Darker Beach

"I was the fuel for that fire, so it's hardly 'normal'. Most people don't sweat oil. Or bleed napalm." Not strictly true, in either case, particularly since napalm doesn't ignite on contact with air (I think). "That would make collecting my blood easier, actually. But if you don't ask, you won't find out. I got flammable because I worked as a lab tech for a guy who makes super-serums. I worked on one, mapped my genome, created a serum- with his help- that was nearly guaranteed not to kill me. And it didn't. He fired me afterwards because he said I was too dangerous, and... I don't know enough about how he makes them to reverse it so I can actually get a job as a lab tech working with chemicals again. Right now, my biology's unique, and even if I'm not working with open flames, I can't guarantee my sweat or whatever will react normally- or safely- if contamination accidentally occurred." And it's pretty hard to do general science if you have to wear an NBC suit to make sure you don't accidentally get flammable sweat on the lump of magnesium, for example. "Besides, you're a very intelligent woman, and if you know how they did it? You could figure out how to do it better." Felicity's pretty sure Dr. Eun could manage to make a better version of a technology she's only just encountered.
    [Darker Beach]

"That's... that's certainly true." Eun admits. Most people were flammable, yes, but not to the absurd degree Felicity was. "But that still doesn't change the fact that Lapis took a small chemical reaction and turned it into a nuclear fission reactor, one that shouldn't even be possible by the conventional laws of physics." She sighs. "And that's just something we understand to some small degree. Space-folding is still strictly theoretical where I come from." She hugs her knees to her chest. "I feel like a caveman trying to put together a hovercar. It just all seems so... beyond me, you know?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

[Bar]

Olvisin does get distracted in a moment - looking at the people playing voleyball. Some very... fit men and women they are. She doesn't spend too long staring, but it does pull her eyes away from the burger for a while. When she turns back, she finds the burger gone.

"What the-"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Bar
    "Hey! Our burgersh vanished!" the foxgirl protests. She looks at Selekhael, who's serving a drink to an NPC and not paying attention. "Barkeep, shomebody shtole our burgsh! Can you get ush shome more?" There's a very slight mischievous grin on her face, but it would be easy to miss. Sighing, Selekhael makes two new burgers. But if Olvisin were to get distracted again, her second is likely to go the same way as the first.

Fire
    Achuak sticks a fresh marshmallow into the fire. "Why wouldn't I be able to eat it?"
    He miiiiight be unable to properly chew sticky marshmallows, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
    Last edited by bc56; 2021-08-21 at 02:05 PM.

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #113

[Fire]

"I dunno? Some people are allergic to chocolate," Khannie says as she accepts the marshmallow that Arthfael is offering her, smushes it between two crackers, and offers it to Achuak. "Here! You can have this one. I've already got one that I'm eating."

As for Arthfael?

He's given a really sympathetic look.

"You can only eat blood and little critters? Ugh. That sounds terrible. Did you get bit by a vampire? Or is it like a curse or something?"

Khannie is pretty sure that people aren't just vampires.

Being a vampire is something that happens to someone.

In the comics she's read that have vampires they're usually bad guys. But sometimes there are half-vampires like Blade who are heroes.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

[Volleyball]

Clarissa ignored Miranda and Vlad, nodding to Rose instead, "Yeah." As she walks over, Rose might notice that Clarissa's eyes have changed color from their normal green to yellow with dark brown sclera. Clarissa seems unperturbed by the change though, as she continues, "I figure our best bet isn't that far off of what we just did. I am fast enough that I can probably get most of the incoming. I'll try to get them to the middle, you just have to be ready to bump them back to me or send them back over."

25. - Top - End - #115

Fire
    Achuak sticks a fresh marshmallow into the fire. "Why wouldn't I be able to eat it?"
    He miiiiight be unable to properly chew sticky marshmallows, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
    [Fire]

"I dunno? Some people are allergic to chocolate," Khannie says as she accepts the marshmallow that Arthfael is offering her, smushes it between two crackers, and offers it to Achuak. "Here! You can have this one. I've already got one that I'm eating."

As for Arthfael?

He's given a really sympathetic look.

"You can only eat blood and little critters? Ugh. That sounds terrible. Did you get bit by a vampire? Or is it like a curse or something?"

Khannie is pretty sure that people aren't just vampires.

Being a vampire is something that happens to someone.

In the comics she's read that have vampires they're usually bad guys. But sometimes there are half-vampires like Blade who are heroes.
    [Fire]

Arthfael sighs. He's not entirely sure how to feel about his marshmallow being re-gifted. He does know how to feel about Khannie's comments about vampirism, though.

"What? No, I was never bitten. What kind of crazy person goes and bites another person?" He scowls, completely ignoring that sort of thing is exactly what his fangs are for. "My uncle says it's a curse that hit our homeland about ten years ago, but I was barely even alive then. As far as I'm concerned, I've always been a vampire." He crosses his arms, giving her an irritated look. "Kind of a trite stereotype. I don't know any vampires like that. Except maybe Siana, on one day a month, but even then, none of us are contagious, so there. It's not a disease, you know."

So.

That nerve got touched.

[Volleyball]

Clarissa ignored Miranda and Vlad, nodding to Rose instead, "Yeah." As she walks over, Rose might notice that Clarissa's eyes have changed color from their normal green to yellow with dark brown sclera. Clarissa seems unperturbed by the change though, as she continues, "I figure our best bet isn't that far off of what we just did. I am fast enough that I can probably get most of the incoming. I'll try to get them to the middle, you just have to be ready to bump them back to me or send them back over."
    [Volleyball]

Rose nods. "Okay. Solid plan. Maybe I can distract Vlad again while I'm up there."

"Wouldn't count on it. I've seen you a hundred times before. New girl's way-"

There's a moment as Rose and Miranda both give him a pointed look.

"...more interesting, is what I was going to say." Vlad coughs awkwardly. "Anyway, incoming!" And with that, he serves the ball over the net toward them.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

Darker Beach

"Cavemen started with no understanding of physics, gravity or leverage and yet they invented atlatls, boomerangs and bows. Even so, your analogy is wrong. You're not a cavewoman, Eun. You're... You're an Industrial Revolution steam engineer given a chance to play with an aeroplane, and the people who built the aeroplane just used it to prank you. Don't get discouraged, that's what they want." So probably not as advanced as she'd like, but Felicity's trying to imply that spatial dynamics is a technological field that is less than a hundred years away from her timeline. (And if they're playing with timetravel, it's probably closer still.)

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

[Volleyball]

Clarissa also gives Vlad a pointed look, and lets Rose volley the serve to her for her own spike.

28. - Top - End - #118

Darker Beach

"Cavemen started with no understanding of physics, gravity or leverage and yet they invented atlatls, boomerangs and bows. Even so, your analogy is wrong. You're not a cavewoman, Eun. You're... You're an Industrial Revolution steam engineer given a chance to play with an aeroplane, and the people who built the aeroplane just used it to prank you. Don't get discouraged, that's what they want." So probably not as advanced as she'd like, but Felicity's trying to imply that spatial dynamics is a technological field that is less than a hundred years away from her timeline. (And if they're playing with timetravel, it's probably closer still.)
    [Darker Beach]

Eun closes her eyes and lets out a little chuff. "...Ha. You know, you sound just like my old boss."

She meant it. It was one of the highest compliments she could give out, from her perspective.

"...You're right. If anyone can figure out how that space-folding nonsense works, it's me. And clearly someone can, because someone did, so hey, how hard can it be, really?" She gives Felicity a not-entirely-sincere smile, trying to take her words to heart and draw some real encouragement from them. She seemed to be... almost succeeding, but she still had a ways to go. "Thanks, Felicity."

[Volleyball]

Clarissa also gives Vlad a pointed look, and lets Rose volley the serve to her for her own spike.
    [Volleyball]

Rose does just that, bopping the ball off the top of her head so Clarissa could get to it, and immediately regretting it. "Ooh, that was dumb, that was dumb, ow!"

When Clarissa spikes the ball back in, Vlad is there to intercept it, slapping it to the side, where Miranda kicks it back over in a long, tall arc. That whole exchange takes maybe two seconds; not a lot of time to respond to it, but maybe Clarissa can still manage it?

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

[Bar]

Olvisin gives Jade an unimpressed look. She wasn't born yesterday and the list of suspects is short.

"There must be a burger-thief on the prowl. Perhaps even a burger-stealing monster. Presumably an invisible one."

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Bar
    Jade gives an innocent expression. "Yesh, you're right! Maybe we can cash it if we leave a burg out ash bait." She's too drunk to realize that plan sabotages her chances. She takes her burger and sets its plate on the ground. Then she goes, "Shhhhh," and makes a show of watching to see if the burger disappears.
    Once she's sure Olvisin is paying attention to the burger on the ground, she slowly reaches around behind the goblin towards her burger."

Fire
    Achuak pulls his slightly burnt marshmallow out of the fire and pops it into his mouth. "Oh, that's really sweet. And sticky." White goo stretches between his jaws and refuses to come off his teeth. "How do you eat this?"

My Nexus characters