New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1242 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I figured that’d get reduced by the Int penalty as well.
    The human skill gets added after the penalties.

Here is the full paragraph on 62, without the example Rogue:
    Determine the number of skill points your character gets.
    This number depends on his or her class and Intelligence modifier, as shown on Table 4–1: Skill Points per Level.
    A character gets at least 4 skill points (1 × 4 = 4) at 1st level, even if he or she has an Intelligence penalty.
    A human gets 4 extra skill points as a 1st-level character.
    Said table has as main cell: "(2 + Int modifier) × 4" and an subscript stating "1 Humans add +4 to this total at 1st level.".

So going all the way round, a human commoner with 3 int has 8 skill points.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2021-09-02 at 12:50 AM.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, I'm honestly not 100% sure, but that reading seems reasonable yeah.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

The real question is how the hell could a human live with 3 int? I mean, a chicken has 2 int...

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vikenlugaid View Post
    The real question is how the hell could a human live with 3 int? I mean, a chicken has 2 int...
    3 Int is just the minimum for 3d6, which is the classical way to roll for stats.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #305

HalflingRogueGuy

3 Int is just the minimum for 3d6, which is the classical way to roll for stats.
    Yes, but with 8 skill point you can train 8 skills, i just don't see a creature almost as dumb as a chicken being capable of doing 8 different complicated tasks XD

6. - Top - End - #306
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Yes, but with 8 skill point you can train 8 skills, i just don't see a creature almost as dumb as a chicken being capable of doing 8 different complicated tasks XD
    I'm not super familiar with D&D, but would they have to be complicated tasks?

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

One skill rank isn’t that much. That just lets you make rolls for some skills in the first place.

Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

I guess you've never gone to City Hall and dealt with ... wait, I'd better stop.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

I interpret Intelligence as being nonlinear. A person with Int 3 isn't marginally more intelligent than an animal with Int 2, they're enormously more intelligent than it. They're only stupid compared to a normal human.
    Last edited by InvisibleBison; 2021-09-02 at 09:56 AM.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    I interpret Intelligence as being nonlinear. A person with Int 3 isn't marginally more intelligent than an animal with Int 2, they're enormously more intelligent than it. They're only stupid compared to a normal human.
    That's certainly the way The Giant has it:

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I don't consider any of the characters in the entire comic to be "mentally handicapped." Thog is not smart compared to Roy, but he does not have an atypical neurology. He is capable of determining right from wrong, and chooses wrong consistently. I know people like to project this idea onto Thog that he's not responsible for his actions because he's dumb, but…he is responsible. We know he is because the orcs on the island are the same as him and don't murder people just for fun.

In D&D terms, anyone who has an Intelligence of 3 or higher is capable of determining right from wrong (because they have an alignment); speak, read, and write a language fluently; and generally looking after themselves on a daily basis while adventuring in a dangerous dungeon. This does not describe most real-world people with mental handicaps (to my knowledge). Which means the bulk of the spectrum of mental handicaps probably sits somewhere below 3 and above 2, because it's a system designed for action-adventure and it doesn't need more granularity than that. It doesn't want to have the conversation, and honestly, in this case, I'm inclined to agree. D&D is a system that only describes people within a certain range of mental ability, and OOTS follows suit.

If I was depicting Thog (or anyone else) as displaying behaviors and attitudes common among actual mentally disabled people and then mocking them, you would certainly have a point. I don't think I am. Thog is "fantasy dumb." It's a trope of the genre that I'm using, not a reflection of the real world. I know everyone loves to repeat that line I said about the only worthwhile part of fantasy being what it tells us about the real world, but that doesn't need to apply to every single part of the entire story. Sometimes, you have to sell the rest of the fantasy world straight in order to highlight the things you want to talk about. The "barbarians are stupid" cliché falls into that category for me.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

also it's just the minimum for sapient creatures. it's not allowed to go lower. I can't quote page and paragraph to you, but it's definitely in the rules
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

12. - Top - End - #312

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yirggzmb View Post
    I'm not super familiar with D&D, but would they have to be complicated tasks?
    They don't have to be, but can be. The most mentally complicated skills need int so anyone with 3 int would be very bad at them anyway... But things like lockpicking for example? Is weird

13. - Top - End - #313
    Bugbear in the Playground

A thing to keep in mind is that in D&D Intelligence is the measure of how well a character learns new things, retains information, and their problem solving skills. It is not a measure of how well informed or even really how "smart" you are.

An int penalty reduces your knowledge check results because it represents a poor memory, your disable device check results because it represents poor problem solving skills, and reduces skill points gained on level up because it represents a difficulty learning new things, etc.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    A thing to keep in mind is that in D&D Intelligence is the measure of how well a character learns new things, retains information, and their problem solving skills. It is not a measure of how well informed or even really how "smart" you are.
    Aren't a persons ability to learn, retain things, and problem solve also how the real world defines "smart"?

15. - Top - End - #315
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Yirggzmb View Post
    Aren't a persons ability to learn, retain things, and problem solve also how the real world defines "smart"?
    I think he is defining smart as in natural ability. You are defining it as "educated". Now "educated" trains intelligence just like exercise trains strength, but otherwise, they aren't related. My wife has a high school diploma that she remembers almost none of due to a very difficult childhood, but she regularly schools my entire family, most of whom have advanced degrees, in Catan, Avalon, etc. Just don't ask her who fought in World War I.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Colossus in the Playground

"Ability to educate easily" is separate from "actually being educated"

In D&D terms, a character can have Int 18, and yet have spent no points on any Knowledge skills.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

17. - Top - End - #317
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Skull the Troll View Post
    I think he is defining smart as in natural ability. You are defining it as "educated". Now "educated" trains intelligence just like exercise trains strength, but otherwise, they aren't related. My wife has a high school diploma that she remembers almost none of due to a very difficult childhood, but she regularly schools my entire family, most of whom have advanced degrees, in Catan, Avalon, etc. Just don't ask her who fought in World War I.
    But I was defining it as natural ability. I'm not concerned with what a person has learned. Just with how well they can learn, if given an opportunity. Also things like flexible thinking (ie, finding solutions to problems).

I've known plenty of poorly educated people who I would call smart. Plenty of older family members for instance - quick as a whip, but didn't get a lot of schooling because of their circumstances at the time.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skull the Troll View Post
    Avalon as in mythology or a board game of some sort
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

19. - Top - End - #319
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Avalon as in mythology or a board game of some sort
    Board game.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

...Why the red text?

Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #321

...Why the red text?
    Because the other option would require a lot more red text.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Because the other option would require a lot more red text.
    Oh. Understood. Was just asking if they meant they taught mythology, was not trying to go into detail about it.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

...I actually don't get what was the problem. Can someone explain?

Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #324

...I actually don't get what was the problem. Can someone explain?
    I used red text as a very gentle nudge to make sure the conversation did not go towards a forbidden topic, namely real-world religion.

25. - Top - End - #325

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I used red text as a very gentle nudge to make sure the conversation did not go towards a forbidden topic, namely real-world religion.
    Now you've got me thinking about "Anne of Avalon", who sleeps on a catafalque beneath Prince Edward Island, surrounded by her school chums of the Round Table. They will awaken in the time of Canada's greatest need for potatoes and homely stories.

26. - Top - End - #326

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Now you've got me thinking about "Anne of Avalon", who sleeps on a catafalque beneath Prince Edward Island, surrounded by her school chums of the Round Table. They will awaken in the time of Canada's greatest need for potatoes and homely stories.
    I guess that is a riff on Anne of Avonlea, but it is confused by the existence of an Avalon Peninsula in Newfoundland. Not to mention the other Avalons in places as disparate as New Jersey and California,.

27. - Top - End - #327

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    I guess that is a riff on Anne of Avonlea, but it is confused by the existence of an Avalon Peninsula in Newfoundland. Not to mention the other Avalons in places as disparate as New Jersey and California,.
    Five in Canada, alone.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

28. - Top - End - #328

Thanks Giant!
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world