New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: OOTS #1242 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Oh yes, good catch. Important, though not plot-altering, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    I choose to think of this as Bloodfeast warming up for the encounter where he unleashes the fury. Also, I love how he’s just sitting there holding Mr. Scruffy back. Hopefully the rest of the Order gets back on their feet soon; I think they’ll need a little more than this to beat Serini.
    Yes, probably. To be fair there haven't been many situations where a small lizard (one without magical powers of its own) could prove useful, of course. Until today.
    Last edited by TuringTest; 2021-08-18 at 10:28 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

I am entirely happy with this turn of events. Also Bloodfeast in the second panel is somehow adorable.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I always love a good "Can you (Noun) at them" bit, but "Cleric Vigorously" is just chef's kiss good. Helps keep suspense about what she will do, and is easily justified by Halley not really knowing what Minrah can do.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coventry View Post
    I had not thought to role-play the calm emotions spell that way, but seeing it in action like this?

Yep, I am definitely following the pattern of this strip from now on!
    Don't go overboard. Belkar reacted like this because he is driven by his emotions. If he's not angry about something (or lusting after someone), he has no idea what to do.

Someone like Roy would not react this way; he's driven by his internal moral compass. That's not an emotion and would not be affected by the spell.

Powers &8^]

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Also Bloodfeast in the second panel is somehow adorable.
    Is he ever not adorable, though?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    Haley only had the aura for a single panel though, then it was gone. And the effect there looks a lot less flamelike. And I don't think we've seen any other Protection from Stuff spells with an ongoing aura, so Belkar's clasp seems to be special in many ways. I assumed the aura was linked to the painful sensation, but now it is apparent I was wrong.
    I found a better example: Haley's Boots of Speed

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe the PfE aura is still flaring because it's interacting with the charm spell.

This was a nice turnabout. Time for a quick shot of country and western!
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Is he ever not adorable, though?
    Well, more than usual here at least.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Since Durkon was out of the field when he got petrificated all his spells would have been back online.
    Didn't they have mind-affecting buffs up before this combat? I assumed they were stripped off by AMF and not renewed.

If not -- well, we saw that at least half the party succumbed to vampiric domination in the last book. If they were prepping for Xykon and Redcloak AGAIN without all their normal buffs against someone who's go-to spell is energy drain, well, I'm not sure what to do for them. I get that the Order isn't a minmaxing party who goes for the optimal builds and combat feats, but there's a difference between "average party" and "willfully idiot ball" party.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I'm wondering what a calm emotion'd V would sound like.

Probably the same.
    It'd have to be subtle as V like's to pretend to be in control of their emotions.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

11. - Top - End - #71

MindFlayer

But correct me if I'm wrong, aren't they still in the same situation? Sunny can use his eyes again if he wants next round.

So whatever the order are going to do, they better do it fast.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    Love it.

I'm sure the hate-brigade from the last couple of discussion threads will bemoan this as "yet another instance of outside interference being needed to save the Order" despite Bloodfeast being LITERALLY a class feature of Belkar, just like they complained about Mr. Scruffy saving the day in the Vampire fight.

But, let's be honest, they'll always find something to be upset about.
    Bloodfeast is a class feature?

Mr. Scruffy is definitely Belkar's Animal Companion, but don't Rangers only get one of those?

I guess "Handle Animal as a class skill" is a class feature...
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    Also love how Bloodfeast continues to contribute throughout the page.
    Having been watching videos from Snake Discovery recently, I have to wonder how many of Bloodfeast's actions are determined by wanting to help, and how many by "that looks like food, so I will try to eat it".

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    Don't go overboard. Belkar reacted like this because he is driven by his emotions. If he's not angry about something (or lusting after someone), he has no idea what to do.

Someone like Roy would not react this way; he's driven by his internal moral compass. That's not an emotion and would not be affected by the spell.

Powers &8^]
    That's... debatable? All drive to do something are fueled by emotions who may in turn be triggered by one's moral compass. Given that Belkar is now indifferent to his own survival I'm not as sure as you are that Roy would still be willing to fight unless prompted as Belkar is now.
    Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Didn't they have mind-affecting buffs up before this combat? I assumed they were stripped off by AMF and not renewed.
    All I can find is this. I leave the conclusions to people with a greater understanding of the game tha' mine.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    “Cleric at them vigorously” was my favorite line.
    Indeed

At the next opportunity, I will, in game, tell someone to "Cleric at them".
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm.

I don’t think Xykon and Redcloak use mind-affecting abilities a whole lot. And stuff like Magic Circle Against Evil would help in a pinch.

Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

My understanding is that the Anti-Magic Field suppresses effects, it doesn't dispel. Renewal is not necessary.

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Maybe the PfE aura is still flaring because it's interacting with the charm spell.
    I think you're right. PfX only suppresses charms/etc, it doesn't dispel them.

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    This was a nice turnabout. Time for a quick shot of country and western!
    Song of Freedom's essentially useless in combat, since it takes 10 rounds ("Using this ability requires 1 minute of uninterrupted concentration and music,"
    https://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/bard.htm ). Meanwhile, Roy would tske et least three spells to get up & running (Neutralise Poison, Cure/Heal, Restoration), the last of which Elan doesn't efen have. He's going for V for a reason - they just need a Cure to get going, although they also need the Slow dispelled for full effectiveness, probably.

Elan's other option is to try a Greater Dispel (which he has, to break some of the status conditions. But getting V back up first may be better.
    Last edited by Reboot; 2021-08-18 at 11:29 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

That's... debatable? All drive to do something are fueled by emotions who may in turn be triggered by one's moral compass. Given that Belkar is now indifferent to his own survival I'm not as sure as you are that Roy would still be willing to fight unless prompted as Belkar is now.

All I can find is this. I leave the conclusions to people with a greater understanding of the game tha' mine.
    I think this correlates with your theory. The team is told to prep buffs of medium duration. Mass Death Ward is a homebrew but Stoneskin is SRD and lasts 10 minutes/level. Protection from Evil lasts 1 min/level so I guess that is a short-term buff. Which they would have used if they hadn't been ambushed and AMFd. So this isn't a failure on the party's part; it's clever tactics on Serini's.

The jury is still out as to whether Mass Death Ward is still effective or not, because I don't think any of the effects Sunny used were death effects, so the hypothesis remains untested.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2021-08-18 at 11:30 AM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TuringTest View Post
    Chain-reaction teamwork! Yay!

It's great to see Bloodfeast actively participating, I don't remember the lovely bug doing anything but sleep since it was polymorphed.

Thanks to your prompt to review that panel, I've also noticed later Haley saying "V and the boys are all out of it". So Haley doesn't think of V as one of the boys. Interesting.
    Because they aren't? V's gender is... ambiguous, but y'know, given everything we've seen of elves, including elven kids calling their parents "parent" and "other parent" instead of gendered terms, it's pretty clear that they're not within the human concept of gender as such and so V literally isn't "one of the boys" or "one of the girls" either.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Halfling in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Elan has potentially a lot of support actions he can potentially do. Take care of V's poison and heal. Take care of Roy's poison and heal. Song of Freedom to fix Durkon being stone (but I don't think he can do that during a fight, not sure). There probably aren't enough rounds in the fight for him to do everything....before the Sunny takes him down anyways.
    Last edited by kenlund; 2021-08-18 at 11:47 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

I don’t think V’s been knocked out with SLEEP poison, they looked conscious when they fell to the ground.

Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

the giant is a master of suspense!
    been giddy waiting for this, though finally starting to read one piece online has helped. caught up to where the 4kids dub ended so everything i'm reading now is new.

seems the theories of durkon beating the flesh to stone weren't correct! and it also seems he didn't neutralize roy's poison in time. but minrah is really proving herself as an important part of the order!

also this is probably the most participation we'll get out of bloodfeast since the breaking of its enchantment likely won't happen until the final battle.
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

RIP grandmom 1931-2020 T_T
    RIP rocky the pug 2012-2022...

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

I think this correlates with your theory. The team is told to prep buffs of medium duration. Mass Death Ward is a homebrew but Stoneskin is SRD and lasts 10 minutes/level. Protection from Evil lasts 1 min/level so I guess that is a short-term buff. Which they would have used if they hadn't been ambushed and AMFd. So this isn't a failure on the party's part; it's clever tactics on Serini's.

The jury is still out as to whether Mass Death Ward is still effective or not, because I don't think any of the effects Sunny used were death effects, so the hypothesis remains untested.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    How long does regular Death Ward last?
    Forum Wisdom

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Does anyone else think that Belkar looks really, really weird without his cloak? I know we've seen it before when he was a gladiator, but then the whole ensemble was different. Funny how one can get so used to a particular look and that's it's really disconcerting when an element of it is changed.

Also, it's hilarious that Belkar fantasizes about giant death machine animal companions but it's a house cat and a lizard that keep saving the day. I kinda hope Bloodfeast never changes back.
    Some people think that Chaotic Neutral is the alignment of the insane, but the enlightened know that Chaotic Neutral is the only alignment without illusions of sanity.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I don’t think V’s been knocked out with SLEEP poison, they looked conscious when they fell to the ground.
    One quibble I haven't seen brought up. Elves are typically immune to sleep effects so unless that's been waived I suspect the poison causes "unconscious" or something similar but distinct from "sleep". That might change what it takes to undo the condition.

Alternatively you're completely correct and something else caused the sudden drop. (Edit: Which would be cool, not intending to be dismissive or flippant. I was actually hoping that'd be an interesting wrinkle for Serini to deal with a few strips ago.)
    Last edited by Flechette63; 2021-08-18 at 12:15 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Firbolg in the Playground

How long does regular Death Ward last?
    One minute per level.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    If Serini had really prepared for this fight, she would have had several creatures around to tie up the Order. Or at least throw a tanglefoot bag. Who would have thought a paladin would have been prepared for an ambush than an epic rouge?
    It's likely that Team Evil made a serious dent in the number of monsters assigned to the fake tunnels by this point and Serini may be unwilling to compromise her actual defenses to take on thr Order too much on the off-chance that this is the day somebody on TE rolls a natural 20 on Spot and realizes the fake tunnel trick.
    One minute per level.
    So around fifteen minutes then? Assuming that the Mass version lasts at most as long as the regular one, it's probably run out by now.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #89
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Serini probably should have used a few of those attacks to ensure the incapacitated party members stay that way.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

Remove Fear might have done the trick, but we would have missed out on apathetic Belkar. And apathetic Belkar is hilarious