New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1242 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Ugh. No I don’t want them “never failing”. I just want them to put up a fight like they are now before they get captured and the IFCC butts in or something instead of the entire fight going like 1241.
    But that is already happening.

2. - Top - End - #242

SolithKnightGuy

Flame wars happen because people keep digging at an initial post 3 pages after its already been discussed 🤦*♂️
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

3. - Top - End - #243
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    Flame wars happen because people keep digging at an initial post 3 pages after its already been discussed 🤦*♂️
    Anyone want to talk about Miko?
    My bubble cannot be burst. It is impervious to physical damage.

Bugbear cleric avatar by me.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Potatopeelerkin View Post
    Anyone want to talk about Miko?
    Sure. But since she's dead, let's be respectful.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Sure. But since she's dead, let's be respectful.
    To the living we owe respect, but to the dead we owe only the truth.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    To the living we owe respect, but to the dead we owe only the truth.
    The living can defend themselves.

So, in Stickworld, you're probably right.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

I dunno, being rude to a ghost seems a quick and easy way to drastically shorten your expected lifespan as a 1st-level Commoner.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #248

I dunno, being rude to a ghost seems a quick and easy way to drastically shorten your expected lifespan as a 1st-level Commoner.
    Eh, Eugene is mostly bluster.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

I was going to suggest Xykon but that would have been too easy.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Firbolg in the Playground

What's not a quick and easy way to drastically shorten your expected lifespan as a 1st-level Commoner, though?

11. - Top - End - #251

Not sure I'd call Eugene a ghost, either. Ghosts tend to be able to manifest to people, be on the material (or ethereal) plane all the time, and generally be a nuisance you would want to hire a ragtag bunch of people with swords and divine magic and whatnot to get rid of for you.

Sure they can be benign, sometimes, and even benevolent, but just look at their stat block! Malevolence (Su), Frightful Moan (Su), Draining Touch (Su), Corrupting Touch (Su), the list goes on!

12. - Top - End - #252

SolithKnightGuy

Eugene is on the astral/ outer plane boundary not the ethereal where ghosts hang out.
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

As many skill points as we get I think everyone's an Expert nowadays
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Svata View Post
    Considering that we go to school for like 16+ years (in America at least, I'm not familiar with the educational systems in other countries), I'd say that's fair.
    Last edited by Thermophille; 2021-08-27 at 03:29 AM.
    I like heated water, not heated arguments.

15. - Top - End - #255

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Not sure I'd call Eugene a ghost, either. Ghosts tend to be able to manifest to people, be on the material (or ethereal) plane all the time, and generally be a nuisance you would want to hire a ragtag bunch of people with swords and divine magic and whatnot to get rid of for you.

Sure they can be benign, sometimes, and even benevolent, but just look at their stat block! Malevolence (Su), Frightful Moan (Su), Draining Touch (Su), Corrupting Touch (Su), the list goes on!
    That figures. Ghosts are undead creatures, and undead would appear to be inherently Evil to some degree (I mean, that's the whole reason why the deathless exist as a (duly underused) creature type).

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    That figures. Ghosts are undead creatures, and undead would appear to be inherently Evil to some degree (I mean, that's the whole reason why the deathless exist as a (duly underused) creature type).
    Ghosts are actually some of the very few undead that aren't inherently Evil, actually!

Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #257

Ghosts are actually some of the very few undead that aren't inherently Evil, actually!
    Well, tell that to the BoED! (In other words, we've got the usual mess here.)

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

What does that say? And anyways the ghost entry doesn't say Often/Usually/Always Evil in the MM.

Extended sig here.

19. - Top - End - #259

What does that say? And anyways the ghost entry doesn't say Often/Usually/Always Evil in the MM.
    I know that. I brought up BoEd because it came up with an entire new creature type which is basically just undead with the serial numbers filed off to bypass the whole "how can a creepy entity powered by negative energy end up L/N/CG anyway" line of questions.

Edit: I dug up the relevant section of the book (on p. 157); it goes out of its way to establish that despite the similarities, deathless are nothing like undead because undead
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoever wrote this part of the book
    represent a mockery of life and a violation of the natural order of life and death
    and they draw their power from that yucky, distasteful negative energy, while the noble deathless "are strongly tied to the Positive Energy plane, the birthplace of all souls."

Edit vol. 2: Not to mention that the very next page (no. 158) draws attention to the fact that ALL undead benefit from stuff like Desecrate (an Evil spell) and are hindered by stuff like Consecrate (a Good spell).
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-08-27 at 11:17 AM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, well. BoED is y'know. bad.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

21. - Top - End - #261

Lizardfolk

They could've sidestepped a lot of it by making ghosts a type of incorporeal petitioner so you could have benevolent ancestor spirits and the like which, while ghostly, weren't negative energy undead.

22. - Top - End - #262

SolithKnightGuy

Well it’s a consequence of having the elemental and spiritual dimensions separated by the material instead of overlapping
    Thus you could have areas with negative plane leakage twisting spirits and trapping them whilst positive leak could allow benevolent ghosts
    However this also goes to the philosophy that the dead should move on and leave the world for the living

23. - Top - End - #263

No need to be so harsh! It has a couple of pretty good feats and I like some of the monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    They could've sidestepped a lot of it by making ghosts a type of incorporeal petitioner so you could have benevolent ancestor spirits and the like which, while ghostly, weren't negative energy undead.
    Nah, that would have made too much sense.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Colossus in the Playground

To be fair, the affinity between Undead and "Evil energy" predates BOED - BOED (and BOVD before it) simply drew attention to it.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    No need to be so harsh! It has a couple of pretty good feats and I like some of the monsters.
    BoVD and BoED have flaws yeah, but there's some nice gems in it. And some of the talk regarding alignment is pretty legit.

Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #266

BoED also has the redemption rules in it, which were pretty handy for talking the BBEG's henchmen out of working for him.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Like with every book really, it's really a matter of picking what works for you/your table.

That being said when it comes to villains, my favorite is Exemplars of Evil.

Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Nah, most people GROSSLY underestimate how big a deal a skill point is. A human expert 1 of average intelligence has 28, let's look at what EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THESE represents:

ONE of them allows the expert to earn a good living as a skilled professional, he can take several, they're cheap.
    EACH ONE allows him to speak and read and write a language as fluently as any native.

We spend enough time in school to learn 28 languages fluently? I missed that day or something. Ditto for the bunches of additional professions I have at high enough levels to count as "skilled" rather than "unskilled" labor.

If he is level 2, and has the correct choice of skills and feats, then our expert is at +16 to diplomacy (with 10 charisma, if he actually has any talent for diplomacy then he's better at this). At this point, he can RELIABLY, 100% of the time, make an unfriendly person friendly with 1 minute of conversation. He can also make someone who actively wants to kill him personally not care about him at all with that same 1 minute of conversation, again 100% of the time, no need to roll dice as long as there isn't actively a battle going on.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Someone did the math to prove that even 1st-level Commoners can make a living, I don’t have the link but I’m sure it was on this forum.

Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #270

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Nah, most people GROSSLY underestimate how big a deal a skill point is. A human expert 1 of average intelligence has 28, let's look at what EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THESE represents:

ONE of them allows the expert to earn a good living as a skilled professional, he can take several, they're cheap.
    EACH ONE allows him to speak and read and write a language as fluently as any native.

We spend enough time in school to learn 28 languages fluently? I missed that day or something. Ditto for the bunches of additional professions I have at high enough levels to count as "skilled" rather than "unskilled" labor.
    Most of us are not linguistic experts. Unless you went to school for that, of course. Same for "skilled" labor. Are you skilled or are you an expert? Take the show Car Talk, for example - the Magliozzis were automotive experts, containing a near encyclopedic knowledge of automotive issues that I would not expect from any given skilled mechanic.

That being said, you have convinced me - D&D does not accurately portray real life.
    Someone did the math to prove that even 1st-level Commoners can make a living
    Well I should certainly hope so.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-08-29 at 11:33 AM.