New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Feywild lore - which books?

So a friend of mine plays 5e, never played 4th ed probably never will, but really likes the Feywild, which hasn't researched much lore in 5th ed so far. So mechanics are a little use, but lore is lore, and D&D has 4th ed to thank for the Feywild I believe. So which books in 4e have lore or fluff about the place? Heroes of the Feywild obviously, any others?
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Feywild lore - which books?

Manual of the Planes has some, and there were a lot of magazine articles especially about various places. Mostly in Dragon, I believe, but possibly Dungeon has something as well.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Cool, thanks. I'm not sure any of the magazines would be available to me now, but I can probably get my hands on the Manual of the Planes.

Do none of the APs delve into the Feywild in any detail?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Underdark has information on the Feydark, the Feywild's reflection of that underground realm.

The DMG has some basic information as well.

On the AP front, there are short jaunts into the Feywild in some adventures, but nothing I can think of that would have more information on its lore.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Right of course, I'll check the DMG. The Feydark didn't make it into 5e, but that was likely a rebranding, the I imagine what was in the feydark is still in 5e's Feywild.

Which adventure modules do venture to the Feywild? Even short incursions would be interesting to see how the writers described the plane.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Revenge of the Giants has two pages on the Court of Fallen Leaves, Tomb of Horrors has a Fey Crossing to the Garden of Graves, The Book of Vile Darkness has a few details in the Maenad description, and the Scales of War adventure path includes the Throne of the Stone-Skinned King.

There are probably some more bits and pieces scattered throughout the Dungeon and Dragon magazines, but I couldn't tell you where.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

So, not exactly what you mean, but have you looked at the Fey Feature? It's a series of third edition articles about fey, though that's pre-Feywild. STill, it has some ideas for fey courts and new fey creatures.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Twelvetrees View Post
    Revenge of the Giants has two pages on the Court of Fallen Leaves, Tomb of Horrors has a Fey Crossing to the Garden of Graves, The Book of Vile Darkness has a few details in the Maenad description, and the Scales of War adventure path includes the Throne of the Stone-Skinned King.

There are probably some more bits and pieces scattered throughout the Dungeon and Dragon magazines, but I couldn't tell you where.
    Excellent, thank you, I shall hunt those modules down.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    So, not exactly what you mean, but have you looked at the Fey Feature? It's a series of third edition articles about fey, though that's pre-Feywild. STill, it has some ideas for fey courts and new fey creatures.
    That is an interesting, and yes pre-Feywild lore is still fun and interesting. Thank you.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Spamalot in the Playground

In Pathfinder, Golarion's version of the Feywild is the First World. While not an exact match for the D&D iteration, there are plenty of parallels, and thus there may be some ideas there you can leverage.

Books that go into more detail on it include First World: Realm of the Fey, Planar Adventures, and Game Mastery Guide.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    In Pathfinder, Golarion's version of the Feywild is the First World. While not an exact match for the D&D iteration, there are plenty of parallels, and thus there may be some ideas there you can leverage.

Books that go into more detail on it include First World: Realm of the Fey, Planar Adventures, and Game Mastery Guide.
    Yeah I know a bit about the First World, I DM-ed for a game where the player was a cleric of the Green Mother, that was a fun character to DM for. I'm not sure I ever got to read Realm of the Fey though, I'll ask them if they have access to it.